The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 October 2018, 03:12 PM   #1
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Submariner 114060

Hello everyone. First post here and I’m sorry if this is a silly question. Local Rolex boutique that I have no relationship ship with just called to say they received a no date sub. I am new to collecting and in wondering how rare these are? From my perspective it seems like an iconic watch that will be timeless and should be a part of every collection.
But the salesman said I need to pay for it and all sales are final but I don’t want to buy anything without seeing it on my wrist. And I live too far away to go visit today. I’m trying to justify it by saying that I’ll hand it down to my son when he goes to college. I can afford it, but I’m not rich enough to spend $7500 without giving it some thought.
I’ve learned so much from you all and want your opinion.
Thanks.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 04:23 PM   #2
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Welcome to the forum.
Only you can say for sure.
It's not necessarily the initial purchase price that you need to consider.
There's also servicing and repair costs to factor into the equation as well.

If you're not overly motivated to pull the trigger on the watch as it stands at this point in time, then i would suggest you are not necessarily ready to go ahead yet and it may be prudent to sit back and wait for more clarity in your own mind.

Asking the question here on this forum should be enough indication that there is more than enough doubt around this to take a step back a little.
One doesn't have to take every deal on offer in this life. And it certainly applies where there may be a real risk that buyers remorse may be forthcoming.

Good Luck.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 04:28 PM   #3
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
First Rolex with SubC no date is a PERFECT choice. You won’t regret it but it’s not rare a piece. There is a shortage in SS sport professional line but there are a lot of Sub circle around the globe. If you thinking about passing on to your son, plus living in Hawaii SubC is a fine choice. Go get them braddah before they call me and I scoop it up from you. I am also waiting for a SubC but I told them I wait little longer for the Hulk at Ben Bridge.
Gotgolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 04:41 PM   #4
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotgolf52 View Post
First Rolex with SubC no date is a PERFECT choice. You won’t regret it but it’s not rare a piece. There is a shortage in SS sport professional line but there are a lot of Sub circle around the globe. If you thinking about passing on to your son, plus living in Hawaii SubC is a fine choice. Go get them braddah before they call me and I scoop it up from you. I am also waiting for a SubC but I told them I wait little longer for the Hulk at Ben Bridge.
Another local bruddah! The watch is at the Rolex at IMP, and if it’s still there tomorrow I might impulsively buy it! It’s not my first Rolex, I have a black DJ and a white Daytona. But I’ve always thought it’s such a classic look that I’m drawn to it. But what I really want is the BLNR. Or the Deepsea James Cameron.

Thanks for the input, I’m going to sleep on it.
Old 2 October 2018, 04:44 PM   #5
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Only you can say for sure.
It's not necessarily the initial purchase price that you need to consider.
There's also servicing and repair costs to factor into the equation as well.

If you're not overly motivated to pull the trigger on the watch as it stands at this point in time, then i would suggest you are not necessarily ready to go ahead yet and it may be prudent to sit back and wait for more clarity in your own mind.

Asking the question here on this forum should be enough indication that there is more than enough doubt around this to take a step back a little.
One doesn't have to take every deal on offer in this life. And it certainly applies where there may be a real risk that buyers remorse may be forthcoming.

Good Luck.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think what you said about not being ready to pull the trigger is a good point. I just thought I would never get a call so when I did I immediately thought I should jump on it. I’m going to call them tomorrow to see if it’s still there. But with the amount of Asian tourists in Waikiki I’m assuming it’s already been sold. And if it is, I’m sure there will always be the next one.
Old 2 October 2018, 05:21 PM   #6
capacitance
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k, BLNR, PAM233
IMHO the “no-date” is a classic. Clean design, looks great dressy or just weekend wear. Either way you choose it, its not a bad investment with this model. Although not extremely rare, with its classic design, its popular enough to hold it value. Happy hunting either way!
capacitance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 05:23 PM   #7
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
if you like the no date sub then you may also like the explorer I, which also has no date function. though the explorer is a bit smaller, 39mm.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 05:28 PM   #8
dr3ws
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR 126334
It’s a great watch, it was my first rolex. Since you already have two and what you actually want is a BLNR. I would say pass
dr3ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 06:12 PM   #9
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Another local bruddah! The watch is at the Rolex at IMP, and if it’s still there tomorrow I might impulsively buy it! It’s not my first Rolex, I have a black DJ and a white Daytona. But I’ve always thought it’s such a classic look that I’m drawn to it. But what I really want is the BLNR. Or the Deepsea James Cameron.

Thanks for the input, I’m going to sleep on it.
Aurite den! You have two da kine already and dis one is not first Rolex. I guess you should sleep on it and wait for the GMT.
Gotgolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 06:30 PM   #10
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
You won’t regret with a Sub C ND. Love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 06:42 PM   #11
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
Hate to say this but its probly sold now, the way the shortages are .
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 06:53 PM   #12
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosvelt View Post
Hate to say this but its probly sold now, the way the shortages are .
I'm sure it is. The salesperson was telling me they're going to put it in the case if I don't decide. I told them I'd give them my credit card to hold it until tomorrow but he said all sales are final and so I left it at that and told them I'll stop in tomorrow. If it's there, pretty good chance I'll pick it up. And if it's not, there is always something around the corner.

Thanks for everyone's opinion.
Old 2 October 2018, 06:55 PM   #13
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotgolf52 View Post
Aurite den! You have two da kine already and dis one is not first Rolex. I guess you should sleep on it and wait for the GMT.
Brah, you talk li'dat no one gone no what you saying.
Old 2 October 2018, 07:11 PM   #14
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
If you are not sure, then leave it for someone who is.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 07:49 PM   #15
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
If you really would prefer the BLNR, I would hold out for the BLNR and pass.The 114060 is a great watch, though. Good luck.
Yobber76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 07:56 PM   #16
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Welcome to the forums. Go with the one you like and not popular opinion.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 07:59 PM   #17
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Sub is timeless, but its everywhere. If its not a must have dont buy it. Its still $7500... doesnt matter what others like.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 08:00 PM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
You won’t regret with a Sub C ND. Love mine!

X2 an excellent pick up and I also love mine.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 06:46 AM   #19
42itus
"TRF" Member

It sold last night. I had a good talk with the salesman, and he said that if he knows with 100% certainty that I will purchase a BLNR or Deepsea it will increase his chances of securing one for me.
He said that they always offer the hot watches to local customers. He said they try to sell to customers who they are certain will wear it. He said they definitely try to sense if the purchaser is going to wear it or flip it and/or keep it in a safe. He said that while preference is given to those with a purchase history, they are trying to build new clientele as well. I'm sure this is nothing new to you all but thought I would share what we talked about.
Old 3 October 2018, 11:01 AM   #20
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
There are no Submariners (reference 114060, 116610 LN or 116610 LV ) to be had in all the local SoCal ADs I have visited. NONE! Even the 2 tone blue and black Submariners require an order be placed as they have none in stock.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 11:33 AM   #21
Lwc1001
"TRF" Member

I’m looking for a no date sub, Rolex AD said 4-5 month wait and they require 50% deposit to be on the waitlist.
Lwc1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 10:43 AM   #22
DTap
"TRF" Member

The “no date” is the watch for me. Simple, clean look, and way easy to set if it runs down.
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 11:32 AM   #23
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

I have lots of love for the 114060... So simple, so great!
Old 19 January 2019, 03:39 PM   #24
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
It sold last night. I had a good talk with the salesman, and he said that if he knows with 100% certainty that I will purchase a BLNR or Deepsea it will increase his chances of securing one for me.
He said that they always offer the hot watches to local customers. He said they try to sell to customers who they are certain will wear it. He said they definitely try to sense if the purchaser is going to wear it or flip it and/or keep it in a safe. He said that while preference is given to those with a purchase history, they are trying to build new clientele as well. I'm sure this is nothing new to you all but thought I would share what we talked about.

Any news brother?

Maverick_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 03:46 PM   #25
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_1908 View Post
Any news brother?

I didn’t get it. I didn’t want to purchase one just for the sake of building a relationship. I’m now working with a different AD.

Old 19 January 2019, 03:52 PM   #26
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
I am sure you would have no regret buying a 114060. Nevertheless, I would not want to buy if I was under any kind of pressure. Any doubts, leave it (as I see from the above post you did), and move on. The watch is not impossible to find. I would try and see if you can find an AD who will let you know when one comes in, even if it is for another client and, if you can, go and look at it.

You might end up doing better anyway. I am thinking perhaps Rolex will update the movement this year to the 3235. I don't know about any other changes, but we are so close to Basel 2019 it is probably worth waiting.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 05:26 PM   #27
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
I am sure you would have no regret buying a 114060. Nevertheless, I would not want to buy if I was under any kind of pressure. Any doubts, leave it (as I see from the above post you did), and move on. The watch is not impossible to find. I would try and see if you can find an AD who will let you know when one comes in, even if it is for another client and, if you can, go and look at it.

You might end up doing better anyway. I am thinking perhaps Rolex will update the movement this year to the 3235. I don't know about any other changes, but we are so close to Basel 2019 it is probably worth waiting.

Cheers,
Carl

Thanks Carl. You’re right, the AD I now work with will call me and if I’m legitimately interested he will hold it for me for a day until I can look at it. And when I’ve passed it was no hard feelings. As a result I’ve purchased three watches from him. It’s been a win win for us both.

Old 19 January 2019, 09:46 PM   #28
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

I think it all about the watch you really want. I have had almost all models and am now moving to the sub no date at the later end of my purchasing cycle. While I have enjoyed all of the Rolex models I have had, I missed the simplicity of a no date sub. I'm positive the no date will be perfect for me because I'm really into looking at the handset and the date and cyclops always seem to get in the way. ...

I decided to get the no date now because it's still affordable. With the shortage and next price increase, whenever that is, It won't be feasible for me in the near future to spend more then what the MSRP is at the moment.

While the no date is definitely more difficult to locate than the date version, it is not easy to come by at the moment unless spending a grand more at a grey dealer or ordering and waiting...
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 07:06 PM   #29
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
The No Date Sub 114060 is one of the favourite watches in my collection.
Simple, classic layout that can be worn on both formal and casual situations.
I had to wait about 6 weeks late last year to get mine from my AD.
You can’t go wrong with this watch.
Oldwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 07:36 PM   #30
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwoods View Post
The No Date Sub 114060 is one of the favourite watches in my collection.
Simple, classic layout that can be worn on both formal and casual situations.
I had to wait about 6 weeks late last year to get mine from my AD.
You can’t go wrong with this watch.
Agreed it’s a fab piece
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
114060 , 116710blnr