The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 November 2018, 04:33 PM   #1
PatrickF5.6
"TRF" Member

What's the best Rolex to stand up over time?

I'm new to the Rolex Forums, but wanted to get some input on a decision I'm making. I have an Explorer 1. Purchased in 2003. Inscribed. I love wearing this watch. Looks beautiful. My intention is at some point to give to my son, and hopefully he can pass it down also. My family has never had anything that we can "pass down", so I'd like to start something here. Anyway I have a second son, so was going to get a second watch. Was looking at a new GMT M2. Here are my thoughts, and then my question.

I'm not a big fan of the "vintage" look. I know that it has a lot of appeal to a lot of people, but for me, it's just not my style. I don't like the faded bezel, I don't like the lume flaking off, I don't like patina. I don't like the hands that appear tattered. When I see images of those original Pan Am watches, I'm like "wow, those look beat". Now I know that a new GMT will look better in 70 years than a 1950s GMT looks today, but I still have a concern.

Question is, what is the best Rolex if you're just thinking about the physical appearance staying true over time? Should I stay away from sports watches with lume? Should I be looking at stainless or is precious metal better? Are certain dials better as far as cracking or fading?

Lastly, would love to see any pics of watches that have been in your family for a generation or two, and to hear what your experience is. Thanks.
PatrickF5.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:09 AM   #2
BakerView
"TRF" Member

Watch: that I'm Jonesin 4
Great thread idea

Looking forward to seeing the Rolex's that have stood the test of time/been passed down through generations.....

The watch you give up today for the next grail may one day become your grail:
Rolex:116520, 16570, 216570, 116710LN, 16610LV, 16700, 116600
Panerai:PAM176, PAM1024, PAM88
Breitling:6.75, Aerospace x2, Chrono 44 GMT, Blackbird/utc, Bentley GT
IWC:3717.
BakerView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:13 AM   #3
|404|
Banned

If you want a real legacy, don't buy watches.

Buy real estate, invest in business. Teach your son how finances work, teach him about investing.

This is legacy, not lumps of metal. (this obsession with passing tangible 'luxury' items is just meh to me... tastes change. Times change. What is fashionable in watches now, in 20 years might be completely wrong, uncouth, old fashioned in the future.
Once upon a time 36mm was considered XXL of watch... now you've got 60MM watches. Do not buy into Pateks or anyone elses marketing of "You're keeping it for the next generation" - very few watches are capable of this, and the ones that are are normally very bland, very simple, timeless dress watches and even then that's not guarenteed... My Calatrava is timeless in my opinion... but will that always the case? Who knows.

Giving your son, loved ones intangible gifts like an true economical education is the only thing you should be focussed on as a father imo)
Lumps of metal can be stolen, lost and ultimately can be replaced.

Knowledge cannot.

Buy whatever you want and have it for you, equip your son with the skill set to be able to afford what he wants.
When you gift something like this to your son, they feel pressured to wear it. (they'll never tell you that) but the truth is, they will wear it because it was yours and sentimental. But do them a favour and yourself, teach them there are no sentiments in metal.
Tell them to sell it, tell them to buy something that they love as much as you loved this watch, that they will treasure and they will always have the memory of knowing you gave them the means/funds to be able to buy it.
Plus if you teach them financial responsibility and a true financial education, something they will never learn at school. They will have the freedom and luxury to buy 'trinkets' that they enjoy.
And watches are nothing but antiquated trinkets. Objectively speaking of course. Subjectively speaking... they are whatever we as a person assign to them, usually emotions.
|404| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:18 AM   #4
evident
"TRF" Member

Can't agree with the above post more. Education is so important, especially common sense financial education which is not taught at all in schools.

But to answer your question, I think the current stable of ceramic sport watches wonte go out of style or wear out
evident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:18 AM   #5
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Cool thread topic. I would imagine (though its impossible to know) that the modern iterations of Rolex watches will maintain their luster over the years. Based on what I've seen the Ceramic bezels do not fade like the previous Aluminum ones did. As for the hands and lume, the current material used is not tritium SO it won't turn the same cream/yellow color that is often seen on the older models. Again these assertions are made based on what I've read and seen since the introduction of the Ceramic bezel and the move away from Tritium. As well as my own ownership of a few Ceramic models.
In general I'd venture to say that any modern stainless (when you can find them) would work just fine in terms of handing down to your children.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:24 AM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Not a watch for sure, Look around you hardly anyone wears a watch anymore. The cell phone is winning the test of time.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:42 AM   #7
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404| View Post
Plus if you teach them financial responsibility and a true financial education, something they will never learn at school.
While you’re at it, teach them you shouldn’t form a sentence with two dependent clauses.
Old 18 November 2018, 12:43 AM   #8
Saaci
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
If you want a watch to look new 20-30 years from now then the obvious solution would be not to wear it. But if you want to give your son a watch that looks like new then why not buy him a new watch when the time is right? The value in passing down a watch through generations is that it was loved and worn by the previous generation. This likely necessitates some "vintaging", if I can make up a word, to the watch.
Saaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:44 AM   #9
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Buy real estate, invest in business. Teach your son how finances work, teach him about investing.

This is legacy, not lumps of metal. (this obsession with passing tangible 'luxury' items is just meh to me... tastes change. Times change. What is fashionable in watches now, in 20 years might be completely wrong, uncouth, old fashioned in the future.
Once upon a time 36mm was considered XXL of watch... now you've got 60MM watches. Do not buy into Pateks or anyone elses marketing of "You're keeping it for the next generation" - very few watches are capable of this, and the ones that are are normally very bland, very simple, timeless dress watches and even then that's not guarenteed... My Calatrava is timeless in my opinion... but will that always the case? Who knows.

Giving your son, loved ones intangible gifts like an true economical education is the only thing you should be focussed on as a father imo)

Knowledge cannot.

Buy whatever you want and have it for you, equip your son with the skill set to be able to afford what he wants.
When you gift something like this to your son, they feel pressured to wear it. (they'll never tell you that) but the truth is, they will wear it because it was yours and sentimental. But do them a favour and yourself, teach them there are no sentiments in metal.
Tell them to sell it, tell them to buy something that they love as much as you loved this watch, that they will treasure and they will always have the memory of knowing you gave them the means/funds to be able to buy it.
Plus if you teach them financial responsibility and a true financial education, something they will never learn at school. They will have the freedom and luxury to buy 'trinkets' that they enjoy.
And watches are nothing but antiquated trinkets. Objectively speaking of course. Subjectively speaking... they are whatever we as a person assign to them, usually emotions.
Whoa, take it easy!! I think the OP is asking a Rolex specific question, not what is important in life. This is a Rolex forum, not a philosophy class.

Any Rolex will stand up to time, as we have seen but in my opinion a modern Sub or GMT is the way to go (ss of course). They have withstood the test of time with endless stories of amazing accomplishments and are most versatile.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:45 AM   #10
mas12
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Well I’ll take a less serious approach...

While the above posts are right - the best thing you can do is leave your kids with an education, especially around the things that school doesn’t teach (finances, investing, etc) - what you’re simply asking for is what Rolex will stand the test time to be an heirloom.

The answer is simple. 116610LN. Classic looks that have already stood the test of time and will continue to do so. That’s why I chose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolex SubC 116610LN
mas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:48 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome OP

Back to your question, I’d be looking at any modern ceramic reference. Should stand the test of time and look fantastic longer than you and I will be around.

A Submariner is a good place to start and always in style IMO
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:53 AM   #12
Saaci
"TRF" Member

What's the best Rolex to stand up over time?

I do have a watch that has come down from my grandfather. It’s a 1960s lecoultre memovox. It wasn’t exactly passed down as no one knew he had it, I found it in his desk drawer after he died. Here it is when I found it.

It was lucky that I was the one who found it and knew what it was... otherwise might have been thrown out. I took it to the guys at central watch in nyc who did a full service including a polish so that it would look good. Here it is now

I don’t wear it much but for a while I wore it every day. It doesn’t really make me think of my grandfather when I wear it and I think it’s because I never saw HIM wear it. My mom tells me she remembers him wearing it but it was before I was born. I think for a piece to have value as an heirloom it has to be thought of as a valued part of the prior generation, which to me means that it was well used and take care of.

Saaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:57 AM   #13
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Some good answers so far. But, in reality, there is no one watch to best stand the test of time. They all do. It's one of the reasons Rolex is one of the most sought after watch on the planet.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 01:00 AM   #14
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Can't believe it, poor OP simply was looking for some watch idea, but instead getting a big lecture on investment and what he should teach his next generation:-)

Quote:

Knowledge cannot.

zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 01:05 AM   #15
Brew
"TRF" Member

Oyster Perpetual. Dress it up, down, or sideways, the watch that started them all, does it all, and always will.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 01:06 AM   #16
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Have no pictures to share. Would consider at Black Sub date or DD - both timeless. Also depends on when you intend to pass it down - Could easily imagine a young man travelling the world with a sub, however not a DD
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 01:08 AM   #17
zjd168
"TRF" Member

I think all modern rolex ceramic bezel sport watches should look good after decades, plus RSC can easily service them to look like new again.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 01:10 AM   #18
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
OP, I would suggest a 6-digit model with a ceramic bezel. Either Submariner or GMT would be a good choice.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 01:14 AM   #19
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post
While you’re at it, teach them you shouldn’t form a sentence with two dependent clauses.

Old 18 November 2018, 01:26 AM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
Can't believe it, poor OP simply was looking for some watch idea, but instead getting a big lecture on investment and what he should teach his next generation:-)
And this guy is only 30, knows nothing, still a baby.

James, I've said it before and you'd better start heeding me quickly, wind your neck in, it's getting very tiresome all over again.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 01:31 AM   #21
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking!

For a second I thought I logged onto www.money.co.uk/investment by mistake lol
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 01:58 AM   #22
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

It might be more meaningful to pick the watch out together. My parents both got datejusts when I was in my 20s and I helped them pick it out. It’s always fun to live vicariously through others when shopping for big ticket items. Then my dad said that he would pass it down to me. So it was extra exciting at the time.

But there is no one right way.

I’d pick a sub, explorer 1, or a Daytona.

Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 02:01 AM   #23
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon12

the Rolex that stands up over time is the one you don't flip...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 02:02 AM   #24
BakerView
"TRF" Member

Watch: that I'm Jonesin 4
While I agree with the education piece, when dad is gone the education will carry his offspring, but they can't hold it, touch it, or wear it with them. In my opinion the cool dad gives his kids BOTH.

Now let's see some pictures and references, like Saaci's brilliant post, for our OP

The watch you give up today for the next grail may one day become your grail:
Rolex:116520, 16570, 216570, 116710LN, 16610LV, 16700, 116600
Panerai:PAM176, PAM1024, PAM88
Breitling:6.75, Aerospace x2, Chrono 44 GMT, Blackbird/utc, Bentley GT
IWC:3717.
BakerView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 02:08 AM   #25
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I think any Rolex will be a nice heirloom/legacy watch. I have two old Hamilton’s that my father owned, both award watches for the time he spent at the one company he worked at his whole life. They’re not as nice as a Rolex, but I do treasure them more than my Rolex. I hope some day to give them to my children. I certainly don’t view them as trinkets.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 02:09 AM   #26
yonexsp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Tudor Black Bay Black with the rose dial ;)
yonexsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 02:18 AM   #27
Fencer
"TRF" Member

A classic Sub, hands down. Not the modern flashy green etc, just the plain old manly thing.
Fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 02:22 AM   #28
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I think a Gmtll would be a nice piece to gift your son. It has a good history and a useful complication as well. Also here is my 41 year old useless lump of metal that was passed down to me from a loved family member which I wish l could sell to further my education or use the funds as an investment in real estate but l feel pressured to wear this useless trinket before someone steals it. Happy Choosing, I'm sure whatever you decide on will be appreciated for many years to come.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 02:29 AM   #29
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I think a black sub would fit your criteria, simply timeless.

Without digressing too far back into the issue, I agree with imparting a good education is essential. But passing down a watch/heirloom while also providing a good foundational upbringing are not mutually exclusive. Kudos to you.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 02:49 AM   #30
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

Knowledge cannot.

There are those guys who you ask what time it is and they tell tell you how to build a watch. You took it three emphatic steps past that with how it relates to Stonehenge, kangaroos, and the Pythagorean theorem. Gee whiz. The guy asked several Rolex specific questions in a Rolex forum. Nothing better than being at a party and someone giving an unsolicited lecture on how alcohol affects liver enzymes and brain cells.

OP....great topic.

I was a vintage and modern guy and I definitely fall into your category. Vintage definitely has it's place, but I'm a fan of the ceramic Rolex versions. Modern, much more scratch resistant (although they do scratch....my LN somehow acquired a deep scratch in the bezel), very little patina if any, etc. I sold all of my watches and finally settled on two that I personally love. I'm a fan of the SubC and GMT, but to each his own.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
214270 , explorer