The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 October 2020, 06:57 AM   #91
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
The grey market would be more suitable for someone with little history.

ADs have hundreds of people waving cash per 1 steel sports model delivered. It’s like having 1 sweetie and 100 kids....how do you choose who to give the sweetie to? It makes sense for ADs to allocate based on history.

Sounds harsh but true
Yep, I agree if it’s a one time purchase then grey is the way to go. Luckily for me I want a few watches so I don’t mind buying something else I want, this time being the YM40.
od91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 07:03 AM   #92
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by od91 View Post
Yep, I agree if it’s a one time purchase then grey is the way to go. Luckily for me I want a few watches so I don’t mind buying something else I want, this time being the YM40.
I’m not sure a YM40 will do much to help, but definitely a step in the right direction
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 08:16 AM   #93
PizzaAndCheesecake
"TRF" Member

This is a really useful thread - I’m on the hunt for my first Rolex and I can relate to everything that has been said above

If it helps I saw two yacht masters in the window of WOS in Stratford London on Saturday, hopefully they’re easier to get hold of than a sub!
PizzaAndCheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 08:49 AM   #94
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Yep I understand the demand far outweighs the supply but my point was how the dealers treat their customers! Just because someone doesn’t have a specific buying history or X spend doesn’t mean they shouldn’t get the opportunity to purchase what they want. I have heard that ADs tell customers to buy specific Rolex’s eg DJs and they’ll be able to supply them the actual watch they want, it’s bribery. Then I go back to the flooded grey market of brand new unworn Rolex sports watches which have a 5 year wait................it’s an absolute joke.
I buy from one of the WOS group stores, I have never had this experience, my AD is great and the staff are great, friendly and welcoming.

My purchase history is only 14 months long, I picked up a DJ in 2019, then one for my wife in 2020, last month I asked for a Submariner and got the call within two weeks to say that they have one coming in with my name on it.

At no point have I ever been told what to buy, both DJ's were purchased because my wife and I like the watch, I tried lots of other watches, swapped my interests about many many times and turned down two watches, yet the store has remained an enjoyable place to visit and just chat.

Over the course of the next few weeks I will use the store to pick up some jewellery for my wife for Christmas and at that time sit down and revisit my 'interested in' list at the store, my aim will be to get something nice for the latter part of 2021.

What people need to understand is that any business will look after a regular customer before a walk-in arrives trying to get the latest and greatest that has just been announced. If we don't like the situation with Rolex buy something else, there are plenty of great brands out there with some damn fine watches waiting for new owners.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 12:42 PM   #95
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
I buy from one of the WOS group stores, I have never had this experience, my AD is great and the staff are great, friendly and welcoming.

My purchase history is only 14 months long, I picked up a DJ in 2019, then one for my wife in 2020, last month I asked for a Submariner and got the call within two weeks to say that they have one coming in with my name on it.

At no point have I ever been told what to buy, both DJ's were purchased because my wife and I like the watch, I tried lots of other watches, swapped my interests about many many times and turned down two watches, yet the store has remained an enjoyable place to visit and just chat.

Over the course of the next few weeks I will use the store to pick up some jewellery for my wife for Christmas and at that time sit down and revisit my 'interested in' list at the store, my aim will be to get something nice for the latter part of 2021.

What people need to understand is that any business will look after a regular customer before a walk-in arrives trying to get the latest and greatest that has just been announced. If we don't like the situation with Rolex buy something else, there are plenty of great brands out there with some damn fine watches waiting for new owners.
So this is interesting again. I have been told from all the WOS stores (and other ADs) I have spoken with have told me they do not know what watches are coming in until they get them in store so for them to tell you they have something coming in doesn’t sit well! Everything they all say contradicts!
Old 27 October 2020, 12:44 PM   #96
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaAndCheesecake View Post
This is a really useful thread - I’m on the hunt for my first Rolex and I can relate to everything that has been said above

If it helps I saw two yacht masters in the window of WOS in Stratford London on Saturday, hopefully they’re easier to get hold of than a sub!
I am glad it is useful!

The main thing to get from this thread is if you want a Rolex sports model - it is very very difficult (almost impossible)and expect a very expensive journey to get one unless you just go to the grey market :)
Old 27 October 2020, 06:16 PM   #97
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
I am glad it is useful!

The main thing to get from this thread is if you want a Rolex sports model - it is very very difficult (almost impossible)and expect a very expensive journey to get one unless you just go to the grey market :)
Spot on!
Now you get it 100%
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 07:11 PM   #98
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So this is interesting again. I have been told from all the WOS stores (and other ADs) I have spoken with have told me they do not know what watches are coming in until they get them in store so for them to tell you they have something coming in doesn’t sit well! Everything they all say contradicts!
The story;

I received an e-mail to call the store as they needed to speak to me, when I got through they explained that on my card the phone number was wrong hence the e-mail, but the purpose was to let me know that on the next shipment coming into the store was a Submariner it was mine if I wanted it.

When I offered to drive to the store the following morning they said no don't do that as we are unsure if the shipment will arrive Thursday or Friday.

As I was heading off on holiday on Friday I explained that if the watch didn't arrive on Thursday I wouldn't be able to collect until the following week. This was fine.

I spoke to the store again on Friday when they confirmed that the watch had arrived that morning and we made an appointment to collect the following Thursday.

The store has been brilliant, no issues at all, never ever been under any pressure to buy anything. I'm not daft, I know that the more I spend the easier it will be to get the unobtainable watches and I understand that dealers want customers to come in on a regular basis and buy not only Rolex watches but watches from other brands they stock along with jewellery that they sell.

For an AD its a difficult balance, they could sell every unobtainable watch to the first person that walks in and ask for it, but that doesn't help them long term, the store wants to look after those people who visit and buy on a regular basis and these are the people who will get the first shout on new pieces and this is fair enough.

Now I'm happy to play this game but it is on my terms, if there is nothing I like or want then I buy nothing, there are plenty of other stores that I can spend my money in and I often do.

Will I buy another, maybe, but I'm in no rush, we will see what is around when I am ready for the next watch.

Old 27 October 2020, 11:00 PM   #99
Kendle19
"TRF" Member

I bought a DJ36 with my local AD last December, was my first purchase with them. Prior to that I put myself on the waiting list for 126610LN of which a year has passed. Spoke to them last week for an update and have been told another 3 year wait..
Kendle19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 11:38 PM   #100
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The story;

I received an e-mail to call the store as they needed to speak to me, when I got through they explained that on my card the phone number was wrong hence the e-mail, but the purpose was to let me know that on the next shipment coming into the store was a Submariner it was mine if I wanted it.

When I offered to drive to the store the following morning they said no don't do that as we are unsure if the shipment will arrive Thursday or Friday.

As I was heading off on holiday on Friday I explained that if the watch didn't arrive on Thursday I wouldn't be able to collect until the following week. This was fine.

I spoke to the store again on Friday when they confirmed that the watch had arrived that morning and we made an appointment to collect the following Thursday.

The store has been brilliant, no issues at all, never ever been under any pressure to buy anything. I'm not daft, I know that the more I spend the easier it will be to get the unobtainable watches and I understand that dealers want customers to come in on a regular basis and buy not only Rolex watches but watches from other brands they stock along with jewellery that they sell.

For an AD its a difficult balance, they could sell every unobtainable watch to the first person that walks in and ask for it, but that doesn't help them long term, the store wants to look after those people who visit and buy on a regular basis and these are the people who will get the first shout on new pieces and this is fair enough.

Now I'm happy to play this game but it is on my terms, if there is nothing I like or want then I buy nothing, there are plenty of other stores that I can spend my money in and I often do.

Will I buy another, maybe, but I'm in no rush, we will see what is around when I am ready for the next watch.

Sounds like you have a fairly decent contact at your AD!
Old 27 October 2020, 11:39 PM   #101
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendle19 View Post
I bought a DJ36 with my local AD last December, was my first purchase with them. Prior to that I put myself on the waiting list for 126610LN of which a year has passed. Spoke to them last week for an update and have been told another 3 year wait..
Sounds about right. How they can give a time when they have no idea what’s coming in and when is just ridiculous!
Old 27 October 2020, 11:43 PM   #102
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you sure about this, the 126610LN has only been out since September 2020, many AD's didn't transfer names from the old outgoing version to the new model when it was launched on 1st September.

When I registered my interest I was told that previous purchase history was necessary to be considered for the new Submariner range, you have that history so unsure why you are being told that you have a further 3 year wait.

Submariners are popular but not unobtainable.

Old 27 October 2020, 11:45 PM   #103
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you sure about this, the 126610LN has only been out since September 2020, many AD's didn't transfer names from the old outgoing version to the new model when it was launched on 1st September.

When I registered my interest I was told that previous purchase history was necessary to be considered for the new Submariner range, you have that history so unsure why you are being told that you have a further 3 year wait.

Might not be WOS Group? I had to be re-added for the new Sub.
Old 27 October 2020, 11:46 PM   #104
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sounds like you have a fairly decent contact at your AD!
I think I have a great contact but all I have done is make use of the facilities that the store offers. If that keeps me in the frame for new launches I'm happy with that.

Old 27 October 2020, 11:52 PM   #105
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
True, but equally you couldn't ask for a Sub 41 before 1st September as they didn't exist, so no one could be on a list 12 months previous to the watch being launched, could they?

Old 28 October 2020, 12:17 AM   #106
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
True, but equally you couldn't ask for a Sub 41 before 1st September as they didn't exist, so no one could be on a list 12 months previous to the watch being launched, could they?
I know, but surely they should recognise that it’s still the same watch so 99.9% of people on the old list would want the new model? I know smaller ADs don’t do that, if you’re on the list for a Submariner, you’re on the list - if Rolex change the reference number it doesn’t matter.
Old 28 October 2020, 12:40 AM   #107
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know, but surely they should recognise that it’s still the same watch so 99.9% of people on the old list would want the new model? I know smaller ADs don’t do that, if you’re on the list for a Submariner, you’re on the list - if Rolex change the reference number it doesn’t matter.
I agree smaller AD's probably didn't ask customers waiting to reaffirm their interest, guess it was only the big boys that did that.

Yes, you would think that a Sub, is a Sub, is a Sub. But clearly it isn't. Still it shouldn't take 4 years to get one irrespective of dealership.

Old 28 October 2020, 01:15 AM   #108
Kendle19
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Apologies, I was on the list for the old 40mm model.
Old 28 October 2020, 01:16 AM   #109
Kendle19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's not WOS it's a small independent retailer. The only one in my county.
Old 28 October 2020, 02:22 AM   #110
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's not WOS it's a small independent retailer. The only one in my county.
The issue with the smaller dealers is they have large lists and don’t get priority over WOS who get the majority of stock! A Goldsmiths in London may get 2 Subs a month a small dealer may get a few a year!
Old 28 October 2020, 03:15 AM   #111
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The issue with the smaller dealers is they have large lists and don’t get priority over WOS who get the majority of stock! A Goldsmiths in London may get 2 Subs a month a small dealer may get a few a year!
This is very true, and not just in Rolex, other brands as well, i.e. Omega Snoopy 50th, Tudor blue BB just to name a few.

the situation with Rolex in the UK had gone from bad to worse post lockdown, 126622 wasn't that hard to come by last year as I've seen a lot of YM in window displays and now there are none.

I've seen dealers even selling those steel professional watches online for a premium price plus they can even get your name on the warranty card / certificate paper.

The chain stores will count your purchase history and if it's a decent figure they can apply to allocate a hot piece to you given his/her manager's consent. for Mappin& Webb, the more you buy their jewelry and silverwares etc the quicker you climb up that ladder to land your hot piece as these products have higher margins than watches.

Rolex surely knows about this but all their care is when they can hike up their watch retail price.
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 01:26 PM   #112
Soultime
"TRF" Member

I probably live near the OP as he mentions going into Manchester.

I have used 3 local ADs recently. Two have been really helpful and the other not.

I have some purchase history with one (BLNR 6 years ago) and they got me a yellow OP36 for the missus last month within 2 weeks. Really helpful AD.

Another, I had no purchase history and they got me a black Skydweller within 3 months (which I passed as it was too bulky). A great AD and really helpful. Currently dealing with a warranty issue and would definitely use them again. Maybe looking to get an OP41 from them.

The third... I was passing and they had a DJ41 in the window which I bought. I have enquired with them since about another purchase and they are just not interested. Very arrogant attitude..... Probably because they are in the middle of the Cheshire footballer belt and I am a relative peasant! Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now.

But they will all struggle if you are just another in the endless list of people who just want a Sub / GMT.

Personally, I would prefer a YM to a Sub anyway.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 04:15 AM   #113
nick_grice
"TRF" Member

My experience is as described above. I had planned to purchase a Daytona and a ladydate for our 40th in a few years time, hoping to get on the waiting lists and having it all lined up.

I was shocked to be told that for a SS Daytona it was highly likely I would not get on to the waiting list and in one store the waiting list was over 10 years. My only other option was to purchase on the grey market but I refuse to line a flippers pockets so I thought a gold Daytona would work and the waiting list perhaps not as long. I decided on a WG Daytona and went to speak face to face with an AD this week to see how long the list was, 2-3 years in fact.

However, the AD actually had a RG Daytona in the safe with the Oysterflex bracelet. He got it out the safe for me to look at and try on but stated this was someone else’s watch and there were 5 or so names on the list for this watch. To my surprise, later that afternoon the AD rang me to say that the other people on the list did not want the watch and they were prepared to offer it to me, even though I had no buying history with them.

I therefore laid down a 10% deposit and pick the watch up at the end of November. Very shocked to be offered the watch and it was just down to plain luck more than anything. I think the AD could see I had a motorsport passion and that I was serious about buying one for myself.

Good luck to those on waiting lists but sometimes it is a case of being in the right place at the right time.
nick_grice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 04:43 AM   #114
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_grice View Post
My experience is as described above. I had planned to purchase a Daytona and a ladydate for our 40th in a few years time, hoping to get on the waiting lists and having it all lined up.

I was shocked to be told that for a SS Daytona it was highly likely I would not get on to the waiting list and in one store the waiting list was over 10 years. My only other option was to purchase on the grey market but I refuse to line a flippers pockets so I thought a gold Daytona would work and the waiting list perhaps not as long. I decided on a WG Daytona and went to speak face to face with an AD this week to see how long the list was, 2-3 years in fact.

However, the AD actually had a RG Daytona in the safe with the Oysterflex bracelet. He got it out the safe for me to look at and try on but stated this was someone else’s watch and there were 5 or so names on the list for this watch. To my surprise, later that afternoon the AD rang me to say that the other people on the list did not want the watch and they were prepared to offer it to me, even though I had no buying history with them.

I therefore laid down a 10% deposit and pick the watch up at the end of November. Very shocked to be offered the watch and it was just down to plain luck more than anything. I think the AD could see I had a motorsport passion and that I was serious about buying one for myself.

Good luck to those on waiting lists but sometimes it is a case of being in the right place at the right time.
Wow, that is an amazing success story!! Was this a smaller AD or a WOS?
Old 31 October 2020, 04:52 AM   #115
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_grice View Post

Winning!
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 05:05 AM   #116
ancientmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi all,
I’m new here! I’m interested to know whether there is still a big shortage of watches coming into the UK? From what I’ve read Rolex do seem to have slowed down their production over the last couple of years and made new watches increasingly more difficult to get hold of - or is this a myth?

I’m about to get my name down on a Black Sub Date - what are my chances of getting one?

Interested to hear opinions! Thanks in advance!
Supply goes up every year. Rolex UK sales £ in 2019 were 13% up on 2018.
Not a supply issue, it’s down to demand.
ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 05:50 AM   #117
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
Supply goes up every year. Rolex UK sales £ in 2019 were 13% up on 2018.
Not a supply issue, it’s down to demand.
According to my AD when I was there two weeks ago trade is very slow, no customers and no incoming watches, only stock they are getting is the new Submariner and OP range of watches, everything else just isn't arriving.

They have so little stock that they are taking names and configurations for SS DJ36 and DJ41 watches.

I guess that if I asked the right question (and had the cash) I could get that rare unobtainable watch they have hidden at the back of the safe.

Old 31 October 2020, 05:58 AM   #118
nick_grice
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This was a small AD that I just contacted online to discuss my needs. Was not expecting them to even have something in their safe for me to look at or to try on.
Old 31 October 2020, 06:02 AM   #119
nick_grice
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This was a small AD. I just contacted them to discuss what I wanted. I wasn’t expecting to have something in their safe for me to look at or try on. Got to remember you are literally buying these watches blue as you cannot see them in shops or try them on.
Old 31 October 2020, 06:05 AM   #120
Combine man
"TRF" Member

UK waiting lists

A lot to do with staff attitudes in AD's,always used our local WOS for 25 years,back then all models avaliable in shop usually to see pre purchase.
Different management and staff and the service has deteriorated over the years,we have history for watches and jewellery there,we called one day when my wife had lost her watch,to buy a replacement,and they advised us to go to a high st chain. We weren't dressed too smart having gone from work,but we left and spent 6k in another jewellers we use.
Have recently used an independent AD in Cheltenham and recieved very good service.
Called them early Oct to get on the list for a ND SUB,they explained it could be a while,but offered me a cancelled order TTSD,I went to have a look,and its not been off my wrist since e.
They were open and honest about the waiting time,so we have remained on the list for the Sub and a YM for my step son.
We will never use WOS again,and the W doesn't stand for watches in our house!
Combine man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
availability , scarcity