The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 September 2020, 03:07 AM   #61
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
OP

2-3 years ago, you could get any Rolex except for Daytona pretty easily at an AD. And grey at or below MSRP. Daytona’s from an AD were always hard to get, now impossible. This time no pun intended is drastically different then a few years ago. But many people are thinking as reading this, why are you telling me this? Because...I can relax and let you guys fight over the watches while I wait a few years and wait for things to die down. I don’t have an itch to scratch, its an enjoyable hobby I do in my spare time.

What’s my point? Enjoy the hobby and don’t stress out. I know your age is a factor. Either your emotions or wallet will take a beating at this moment.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 03:25 AM   #62
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
After my moms sudden and very unexpected passing last weekend at 72 years old (with an excellent health track record), and myself approaching 40 - there are only 3 words of wisdom I can pass on ..

DO NOT WAIT.

I don't do waitlists or play games required to do so. I buy what I can afford responsibly and let the chips fall where they may. So far it has worked out great, especially going GREY for watches.
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 04:51 AM   #63
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Any steel watch? Just buy grey. You can get an explorer right now for a very reasonable premium, maybe $1,000. I’m not waiting 6 months or whatever the wait is for $1000. If you want a Daytona, buy grey. Fire in offers to multiple dealers and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 04:55 AM   #64
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by socialpro View Post
After my moms sudden and very unexpected passing last weekend at 72 years old (with an excellent health track record), and myself approaching 40 - there are only 3 words of wisdom I can pass on ..

DO NOT WAIT.

I don't do waitlists or play games required to do so. I buy what I can afford responsibly and let the chips fall where they may. So far it has worked out great, especially going GREY for watches.

Very sorry to hear about your Dear Mum’s passing. Hope you’re finding the strength to deal with such a tragic loss. Sending positive vibes from the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 04:56 AM   #65
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
OP

2-3 years ago, you could get any Rolex except for Daytona pretty easily at an AD. And grey at or below MSRP. Daytona’s from an AD were always hard to get, now impossible. This time no pun intended is drastically different then a few years ago. But many people are thinking as reading this, why are you telling me this? Because...I can relax and let you guys fight over the watches while I wait a few years and wait for things to die down. I don’t have an itch to scratch, its an enjoyable hobby I do in my spare time.

What’s my point? Enjoy the hobby and don’t stress out. I know your age is a factor. Either your emotions or wallet will take a beating at this moment.
Really?? 5 years ago well know grey dealers had most watches at msrp or less but dealer stock at AD’s has been hit or miss for a decade. I have to go back over 20 years before I could legitimately try on most models at a AD and comparison shop.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 05:01 AM   #66
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
I concur. You only live once and tomorrow is guaranteed to nobody. If you want it, can afford it, go and get it....now. Its only money.
This. And fortunately I have a very understanding wife who let's me play.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 05:17 AM   #67
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:

DO NOT WAIT.

So very sorry to read this, Alex. Been in these shoes too, in my early 30s... life is short, I now understand why they say "Carpe diem".
Old 7 September 2020, 05:42 AM   #68
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ec2016 View Post
This may work for some, but for many others, Tudor would never come close to scratching the itch. If price were not a consideration, I’d rather have a single Sub, GMT, Daytona, etc. than 20 Tudors.

Edit: and I own Tudor as well
Yes, I'm well aware of this sentiment on TRF. I get to experience it everyday.

However, I was simply trying to introduce another option to a fellow 60 year old, since neither of the two cited in his thread title have any appeal to me.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 05:54 AM   #69
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
If you have to go grey you can get some certain nice models without feeling too ripped off. Market prices on the hot models are what they are, I wouldn't pay personally unless it was a 5dgt Sub or Gmt. Not to clear on what your looking for but for a more modern 6 dgt piece I'd suggest looking at Expll, DJ41, Milgauss or Explorer. Always keep your eye open for Subs as well. Happy Hunting...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 06:12 AM   #70
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I agree with everyone that says 'don't wait. buy now and enjoy.'
If you google 'actuarial chart life expectancy' you'll see why.
Old 7 September 2020, 06:16 AM   #71
synrrgy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
If I was 69, I would buy anything I wanted as long as I could afford to.
This!! +1
synrrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 06:53 AM   #72
daysky1
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the input, you have given me lots to think about. I have purchased a few Rolex watches since late 2018 and have used both GM and the watchbox for the ones I have. Davidsw sounds like a place I will be shopping at along with some other places I learned about both here and there. Now I am interested in, perhaps a 2020 OP, Sub, DateJust 41, and may even consider a Daytona White dial, however Vacheron Constantin Overseas Automatic Chronograph Men's Watch 5500V/110A-B075 for about the same price retail as the Daytona mark up seems a better option...maybe,,,and then their are other Rolex steel ones I like also. I prefer not to go 2 tone or Gold, I just think they might be too soft and prone to more extra care because of that. Although I think some of the 2 tone look awesome. But the solid gold is just too visual for me. And way more expensive than steel. Just my preference.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 08:16 AM   #73
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Money is a tool for us to save time so that we can afford more time at enjoying life. Unless you have happier uses for your money then it is probably wise to pay the premium and get on and enjoy life.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 08:29 AM   #74
daysky1
"TRF" Member

Lets see, do I care about what others think....perhaps not in the way you stated it...I don't want others to think I am wearing an expensive watch to show off how well off I am. I like the way one person put it, its called stealth wealth, I know what I am wearing and like to have the best I can afford on my wrist. I enjoy the thought that I am wearing a Rolex and enjoy it every time I look at it. I don't want everyone to know I even have a Rolex....or how many I have. I think Rolex watches are the best, but I do know other watches sell for far more MSRP so I do think they are better in some ways. AP, Patek, and V.C. are just 3 of the ones I think top Rolex but I still place Rolex on the top of my personal list. And I would be remiss if I didn't say, I don't want to list every Rolex I own, because as I have already said I am careful not to let that be known. I do own a few...My first was a black Milgauss Green Sapphire, shortly after I picked up a Black Sub date from the Watchbox, and a new Explorer II white dial, GM. I think these were all 2019 ones, so as you see I own a few and others I haven't listed, I would like a 2020 Sub, and a DJ 41 and a OP, and others but I want to try and go through a AD that I have started talking with on the phone, the person I have been talking to is the manager and I trust he will give me a call at least on the OP when it comes in. He is a little over 70 miles away, that is why I don't go visit plus the COVID 19 mask thing and all that is happening otherwise. I have begun a collection of fine watches where Rolex is the top of them all. From there I like Omega, Tudor, and Tag Heuer, I would like one or more each in many more than I have listed. For me it is a hobby and collection with much enjoyment.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 03:11 PM   #75
Rogerdodger1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN & 16234
“Live your best life.”
Rogerdodger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 03:05 AM   #76
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Live every day, as if it's your last, because, one day............it will be.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 03:19 AM   #77
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysky1 View Post
Here is my problem. I have never been to an AD. I just started buying Rolex late 2018/early 2019 and I'm 69 years old. Initially I contacted every AD within 90 miles and was told either maybe in a few years I might be able to buy one or none were available and I even ask to be put on a list to no avail ie no real selling by going down the list to the next person. One dealer did say I could put some money down on one but they couldn't guarantee a watch would ever come in and had no policy in place as to refunding my money even if the watch didn't come in within 24 months. Then I heard somebody say they had to wait 10 years for their AD to get a Daytona in for them So far I have purchased only from G.M. or Watchbox pre-owned. Oh, the pre-owned came with 4 1/2 years left of the factory warranty, most likely flipped. And to top it all off I am 69 years old...All the AD's in Ohio are like the rest of the country, they have their established customers, of which I am not. Or they just don't have any Rolex's that I want. Here's what I have in mind, almost any of the steel ones except the Yacht Dweller. So I ask again, what are my options? I can only think of either Grey Market or Pre-Owned ie flipped. What would you do in my shoes? And I'm ok paying what I have to. I failed to mention there is one AD about an hour away who gave me some hope when I called about the 2020 ones and he said he might call me if an OP in the color I ask about came in, so I am optimistic at least with one Rolex Authorized Dealer to go to...just have to wait, don't think it will be too long as we had a good talk.
Having lived in Ohio and being near your age I'll help you out. Deal with the reality of the situation. Buy what you can at MSRP or pay on the grey market of choose not to buy. Maybe even go for a different brand. There's not many other choices.

The dealer who can get you the OP sounds like a good choice as the OP hasn't been a high demand watch like the standards (BLNR, BLRO, Subs, Daytona). Also consider two tone versions of watches as they may be more available but at a higher MSRP, As they say, when life gives you lemons make lemonade. Good luck with your collecting.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 03:19 AM   #78
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you all for the input, you have given me lots to think about. I have purchased a few Rolex watches since late 2018 and have used both GM and the watchbox for the ones I have. Davidsw sounds like a place I will be shopping at along with some other places I learned about both here and there. Now I am interested in, perhaps a 2020 OP, Sub, DateJust 41, and may even consider a Daytona White dial, however Vacheron Constantin Overseas Automatic Chronograph Men's Watch 5500V/110A-B075 for about the same price retail as the Daytona mark up seems a better option...maybe,,,and then their are other Rolex steel ones I like also. I prefer not to go 2 tone or Gold, I just think they might be too soft and prone to more extra care because of that. Although I think some of the 2 tone look awesome. But the solid gold is just too visual for me. And way more expensive than steel. Just my preference.
What percentage did you expect to say we wanted you to die first??? Of course, please enjoy life and we hope you get your watch very soon!
vh2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 07:09 AM   #79
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Really?? 5 years ago well know grey dealers had most watches at msrp or less but dealer stock at AD’s has been hit or miss for a decade. I have to go back over 20 years before I could legitimately try on most models at a AD and comparison shop.
5 years ago, at the time I was looking for a job. It was a tough time, things were still bad in 2015. Obviously speaking of 2008 and the fed increasing rates in 2015-16. If you had money or a good job, the buying power was in your hands.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 07:18 AM   #80
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holishi View Post
Let’s say you already travelled the world and get to 100. Rather than waste 20k on a reseller an AD supports for FOMO, why not travel the world with that money and treat your family and friends to champagne and caviar for good memories as YOLO
^^^ This

I'm actually a little older than the OP. I wanted a new watch after wearing my classics for 40+ years. Went on a Norwegian cruise with my wife in 2018. The exchange rate was wonderful. Stopped in an AD in Bergen and there was "my" EXP II (black) in the case just waiting for me. I have two wonderful memories from those two weeks.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 09:41 AM   #81
corkscrew
"TRF" Member

Quote:

DO NOT WAIT.

Sorry to hear about your mom. May peace be with you and your family.
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 09:48 AM   #82
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

If you find a piece that really resonates with you and you can afford the grey market price, I would not bother waiting for an AD to call
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 09:55 AM   #83
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
OP, I think your underlying question isn't "what should I do" as much as it is "am I a sucker for paying over MSRP?" I gather you're looking for someone to tell you that it's OK.

I'll make it easy for you: the street price is the market price. If you buy from a trusted seller on TRF or DavidSW or whatever, you're not "overpaying 2x" or whatever. You're paying fair market value. And if recent history is any indication, your watch that you paid market value for will hold most of that value, if not outright appreciate.

With that in mind, don't bother waiting at the AD, unless you intend on establishing a history with the sales associate. If so, then waiting a year or two might get you the watch you want, and then- through arbitrage- you'll get the watch you want at MSRP.

But for what? Do you plan on reselling it, or do you plan on keeping it for a long time?

If the latter, who cares about getting it for MSRP?

You can take one last "Hail Mary" shot by walking into your AD and being frank and honest with them: tell them that you'd like to have the watch sooner than later, because at this age, you're more concerned about your time rather than your money. Ask them what they advise you to do. I find that putting the ball in the other's court usually elicits a different, more meaningful, response.
Old 8 September 2020, 09:56 AM   #84
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Buy off an individual on Craigslist. Plenty of sellers on their selling complete sets who will be happy to meet you anywhere to prove their watch is authentic. If you buy from a grey dealer you are going to overpay. The whole AD experience is overrated
gwozhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 10:43 AM   #85
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

My advice is the same regardless of age. Pick a watch you want at the market price. Set a time frame you are comfortable waiting. If during the timeframe you get it at AD, you now have extra money leftover. If you don’t get during the timeframe, go grey and call it a day.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 10:46 AM   #86
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Where are you located on Earth ? What city ?
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 10:50 AM   #87
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutats View Post
Money is a tool for us to save time so that we can afford more time at enjoying life. Unless you have happier uses for your money then it is probably wise to pay the premium and get on and enjoy life.
^^^This guy gets it.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 10:53 AM   #88
dunedc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Live every day, as if it's your last, because, one day............it will be.
The truth in this comment...
dunedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 10:58 AM   #89
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
Buy off an individual on Craigslist
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 09:24 PM   #90
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lets see, do I care about what others think....perhaps not in the way you stated it...I don't want others to think I am wearing an expensive watch to show off how well off I am. I like the way one person put it, its called stealth wealth, I know what I am wearing and like to have the best I can afford on my wrist. I enjoy the thought that I am wearing a Rolex and enjoy it every time I look at it. I don't want everyone to know I even have a Rolex....or how many I have. I think Rolex watches are the best, but I do know other watches sell for far more MSRP so I do think they are better in some ways. AP, Patek, and V.C. are just 3 of the ones I think top Rolex but I still place Rolex on the top of my personal list. And I would be remiss if I didn't say, I don't want to list every Rolex I own, because as I have already said I am careful not to let that be known. I do own a few...My first was a black Milgauss Green Sapphire, shortly after I picked up a Black Sub date from the Watchbox, and a new Explorer II white dial, GM. I think these were all 2019 ones, so as you see I own a few and others I haven't listed, I would like a 2020 Sub, and a DJ 41 and a OP, and others but I want to try and go through a AD that I have started talking with on the phone, the person I have been talking to is the manager and I trust he will give me a call at least on the OP when it comes in. He is a little over 70 miles away, that is why I don't go visit plus the COVID 19 mask thing and all that is happening otherwise. I have begun a collection of fine watches where Rolex is the top of them all. From there I like Omega, Tudor, and Tag Heuer, I would like one or more each in many more than I have listed. For me it is a hobby and collection with much enjoyment.

This is a great response, Re-reading my post it may come off a bit harsh, which was not the intent, and if we were having a drink and talking watches, I could say the exact words with the proper inflection and tone, and the proper message would hopefully have been received...which was to possibly lead to a bit of introspection, which might give you an answer.

I suspect you have the answer, the hard part is accepting it and reconciling.

For Some of us - Rolex just lights up receptors in the Nucleus Accumbens - it can't be explained or rationalized, and when trying to explain it, it results in confabulating what seem like valid intellectual arguments to justify an intangible feeling...

for others it is flexing, and fitting in... which may be the current market problem, and the reason for some subconscious resentment..

The hard part for you, is that emotional draw might be competing with the pragmatic, practical mind that feels that you are violating some subconscious unwritten rules you may have written for yourself to live by (such as never paying above MSRP)..

There's a Devil on one shoulder and an Angel on the other - (Don't ask which is which)

The More Appropriate question might be, "How can I justify paying these prices to myself as someone who has never payed full MSRP?"

You might get a lot of the same answers - But I think the fact that MSRP doesn't really exist is the biggest reality... I haven't yet bought Grey at premium, but am already starting the rationalization process - I know that I could buy a pile of Jewelry and get MSRP on a Pepsi - after a waiting time - but if you truly wanted the [let's say Earrings], the discounts that could be had from any dedicated Jeweler (who is not a Rolex AD), for those same Earrings, would be more than the Grey market premium many times...

So who is the greater sucker? - he who paid extra to get exactly what he wanted, or he who paid extra for something he didn't want, just to get what he wanted in 6-12 months, and ended up with a larger bill overall...?

(Of course this is all the ramblings of someone who knows absolutely nothing, other than how to rationalize as a defense mechanism in order to protect his own fragile psyche..)

But I choose to believe that even those who Paid MSRP - likely have paid much more in the big picture. (It may or not be true, but it will help me sleep at night if/when I pay the GM premium)

Tags
advice sought , opinions