The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 June 2009, 12:51 AM   #91
BAMBAM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDHNTER View Post
Agreed, absolutely no need to run it through the x-ray machine.
Disagree !
I travel quit a lot "worldwide" and always in f Kingdom (Saudi) they force you to take your watch OFF !
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2009, 01:58 AM   #92
SDDS
"TRF" Member

what..thats really strange..tell us the results..good luck
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2009, 06:12 AM   #93
Aston
"TRF" Member

Bad news... Hope you can quickly fix it

Just to know, which serie does your GMT IIc belong: M or V?
Aston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2009, 07:51 AM   #94
Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I travel a lot and airport security will almost always ask me to take off my Sub. I tried to tell them it won't set the machine off...but 'arguing' with them isn't a good idea. I now just slip it into my pocket without issue. That way it won't get banged and bumped going through the scanner and conveyor belt.
I just tell them "it won't set it off mate". Generally they don't argue - it hasn't set it off yet, in about 30 flights since March.

At some point it probably will, airports set the machines to differing sensitivities and they can be a bit erratic, but the fewer times it leaves my wrist the better.
Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2009, 10:59 PM   #95
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
No news is good news?
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2009, 11:09 PM   #96
chu88y
Banned

Watch: SDDS
makes you wonder.How many of us have just checked there bezels after reading this thread
chu88y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2009, 01:57 AM   #97
gs430
"TRF" Member

Good afternoon. Just an update, dropped of my watch today at the Rolex Service Center in NYC. The two people I spoke with at the service desk told me they had seen situations like this before, but it is uncommon. They were not able to get it fixed while I waited so it is getting mailed back.

All in all, it was a good experience.
gs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2009, 01:45 PM   #98
Colnago
"TRF" Member

If it's "uncommon" it means it rarely happens....but it still does......we need to know why or how......and more importantly if it has happened more times than is acceptable will there be a "recall" as we see in the motor industry to rectify the problem.

I am very pleased to hear that your watch has been taken back for repair and look forward to reading about/seeing the watch when you eventually get it back....did they give you any time scale?
Old 5 June 2009, 10:54 AM   #99
gs430
"TRF" Member

They called today to say the watch was fixed and getting sent back. The service lady I spoke with told me that the insert is only held in by the beveled edge of the bezel. They believe I hit it on something which caused the separation. If I did, I don't now when or where. It is definitely concerning.
Old 5 June 2009, 11:06 AM   #100
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Wow. Can it be that the bezel is more fragile than what we could hope? So now, we have to worry not only about the ceramic fracturing, but also coming loose, and falling out???
Thanks for the info, and please post pics when you get it back.
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 12:28 PM   #101
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
I will wait till the second release comes out and Rolex gets the bugs worked out.
I have never had any problems with my Pepsi bezel....and if I did it take 5 seconds to put another one in.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 12:45 PM   #102
cmr
"TRF" Member

i have hit my bezel and ceramic insert on airplane structure hard enough to put nicks in the bezel and it is fine. i think they are just trying to cover up for some tolerance build up. the insert didn't fit the bezel correctly from the beginning or this would have never happened. i would have already went through a dozen or so of aluminum inserts in the last 2 years.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 12:51 PM   #103
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr View Post
i have hit my bezel and ceramic insert on airplane structure hard enough to put nicks in the bezel and it is fine. i think they are just trying to cover up for some tolerance build up. the insert didn't fit the bezel correctly from the beginning or this would have never happened. i would have already went through a dozen or so of aluminum inserts in the last 2 years.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 12:55 PM   #104
Colnago
"TRF" Member

It is worrying I agree........but who knows, it might just be as simple a process to re-fit a bezel in the new GMT's as it was the old.....but nobody seems to have done it yet.....there's great tutorials out there for changing bezel inserts on Sub's and older GMT's....hopefully soon there'll be one for the new ceramic bezels......I suppose someone will take the plunge eventually and take a bezel off to see exactly what's in there and how to maintain it yourself.......maybe if Rolex eventually solve the ceramic colour problems we could even have the luxury of being able to change the looks of our newer GMT's as you can with the originals, as you say "in less than 5 seconds".....that would be great.....the flexibility in looks for the older style GMT's is in my opinion a fantastic asset......much as I love the present ceramic bezel if newer colour schemes become available I'd love to have the choice....and I would love to be able to make the change in colour scheme myself.....I'd also like to be able to remove the bezel for meticulous cleaning as well, maybe once a year or every 12 months whichever came soonest....
Old 5 June 2009, 02:16 PM   #105
exxondus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs430 View Post
They called today to say the watch was fixed and getting sent back. The service lady I spoke with told me that the insert is only held in by the beveled edge of the bezel. They believe I hit it on something which caused the separation. If I did, I don't now when or where. It is definitely concerning.
no offence but i def smell a lemon there
exxondus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 04:49 PM   #106
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
any updated picture? I'm surprised they did not give you a whole new bezel
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 05:03 PM   #107
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
any updated picture? I'm surprised they did not give you a whole new bezel
The OP is from San Antonio, he says he was on business in NYC so he dropped it into the RSC there, presumably he is now back in San Antonio and the watch is being sent back there........may take a couple of days to get any up-dated pictures......to be honest I know what the GMT II C looks like, I would far rather be given the complete explanation as to why this happend, if it's likely to happen to others, if Rolex know what causes it to happen and maybe if there will be a recall or free service (call it what you will) to rectify any possible common fault in design.......it's very worrying....if it's genuine......I have to apologise to the OP for being a doubting Thomas once again but it's just that there have been so few problems (if any) reported about the GMT II C that I can't help feeling a little bit sceptical....pictures of the mended watch would be great....but they could be of any watch.....we need to know the what's, why's and how's
Old 5 June 2009, 05:46 PM   #108
exxondus
"TRF" Member

I wouldnt let this worry me and loss sleep over it.

Its def good to know what caused it. But if its a defect across all GMTIIcs, then knowing it wont change a thing. However, judging from how little problems have been reported about the GMTIIc, I will merely treat this case as a lemon.

Just wear and enjoy it :). No offence intended.
exxondus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 06:37 PM   #109
Colnago
"TRF" Member

No offence taken at all :0)....I fully intend to wear the hell out of mine....
Old 5 June 2009, 07:18 PM   #110
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
very worrying
x2
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2009, 09:19 AM   #111
gs430
"TRF" Member

It's apparent that a few people doubt the reality of this issue. If so, feel free to contact the Rolex service center in NYC or Moretti's Jewelers in San Antonio and inquire about the situation. If you would like my name for reference please send me a message. I did speak with the RSC again today and they truly believe that I dropped the watch causing the damage. Just to be clear, I did not drop the watch.
By the way, this is not a big deal and I am very surprised by the level of concern many of you seem to express. This is clearly not a defect in the design of this AWESOME watch. Simply, I either purchased a not perfectly manufactured watch OR I caused this problem.
Old 6 June 2009, 11:46 PM   #112
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs430 View Post
It's apparent that a few people doubt the reality of this issue. If so, feel free to contact the Rolex service center in NYC or Moretti's Jewelers in San Antonio and inquire about the situation. If you would like my name for reference please send me a message. I did speak with the RSC again today and they truly believe that I dropped the watch causing the damage. Just to be clear, I did not drop the watch.
By the way, this is not a big deal and I am very surprised by the level of concern many of you seem to express. This is clearly not a defect in the design of this AWESOME watch. Simply, I either purchased a not perfectly manufactured watch OR I caused this problem.
I am really pleased to hear that it sounds like your problem has been resolved, it's great news. Once again please accept my most humble apologies for doubting your story.

I have to say though that I disagree with your statement that "this is not a big deal", I would consider it to be a massive deal if the bezel fell out of my watch, even more so if it were lost, replacement of these bezels is supposedly hideously expensive, you were very lucky not to have lost yours.

As you say, you could have been sold a watch in the first place with a slight defect in the bezel or in the retaining ring, the unfortunate event can of course be attributed to this. If this were the case, is it possible for you tell if either of the pieces are the original items or if they have been replaced with new ones? Due the the scratch resistance of the bezel itself I would think it almost inpossible to tell if it has been replaced, so I suppose that only leaves the steel retaining ring which may have had some small battle scars.....I'd be very interested to hear

Once again, it's great news to hear you have the problem sorted....lets just hope there's no repeat performance......
Old 6 June 2009, 11:50 PM   #113
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
I am really pleased to hear that it sounds like your problem has been resolved, it's great news. Once again please accept my most humble apologies for doubting your story.

I have to say though that I disagree with your statement that "this is not a big deal", I would consider it to be a massive deal if the bezel fell out of my watch, even more so if it were lost, replacement of these bezels is supposedly hideously expensive, you were very lucky not to have lost yours.

As you say, you could have been sold a watch in the first place with a slight defect in the bezel or in the retaining ring, the unfortunate event can of course be attributed to this. If this were the case, is it possible for you tell if either of the pieces are the original items or if they have been replaced with new ones? Due the the scratch resistance of the bezel itself I would think it almost inpossible to tell if it has been replaced, so I suppose that only leaves the steel retaining ring which may have had some small battle scars.....I'd be very interested to hear

Once again, it's great news to hear you have the problem sorted....lets just hope there's no repeat performance......
What he said.
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 12:38 AM   #114
ryanr
"TRF" Member

Icon8 Ceramic Bezel insert fallen out of GMT Master IIc

I don't believe it...!!! I was in London on Saturday night - looked at my watch and the ceramic bezel insert had just vanished!
I've only had the watch for a very short period of time. Loved the fact that it has the new bezel - and now it's gone! Have just sold SS Daytona - so am now watchless!
I was glad to see that there have been a few cases - as Rolex will now struggle to argue that it was caused by me.
ARE THERE ANY OTHER CASES? THIS IS THE ONLY ROLEX WATCH I'VE READ ABOUT SO FAR, WHERE THE INSERT HAS FALLEN OUT.
I wish I'd taken a picture to share with you. Have now taken into local Rolex AD. What do you think are the chances of it being back before Christmas...???
They haven't been able to tell me if it's covered under the warranty as of yet...but I can't see how they can't cover it.
WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.
ryanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 12:51 AM   #115
Dayim

Watch: Yacht-Master S/P
Bezel fell off Rolex... really surprised....
Dayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 01:07 AM   #116
Dayim

Watch: Yacht-Master S/P
Each ceramic bezel takes Rolex 40 hrs. to produce!!!!!!
Dayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 01:09 AM   #117
ryanr
"TRF" Member

Maybe they should take a little longer

Amazing looking bezel... Well, it was!
ryanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 01:17 AM   #118
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
A GMT2c again ! Remember my thread last week ? : http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=103984
Mine is arriving in 9 days ....
BASSETHOUNDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 01:24 AM   #119
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr View Post
Just cannot believe anyone would go though a dozen or so aluminium inserts in two years.I still have watches 10 to 30 years old with still there original inserts and most of my watches have had a very hard life and inserts are still serviceable.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 01:28 AM   #120
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayim View Post
Each ceramic bezel takes Rolex 40 hrs. to produce!!!!!!
Perhaps by the hundreds but would seriously doubt individually,although Rolex did state it take 12 months to make each Rolex.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote