The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 April 2019, 09:51 PM   #1
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
2019 IWC Spitfire Chrono VS. Omega Moonwatch

I'm thinking of buying a new Chronograph and I find myself with these 2 finalists, both of which I like very much.

My Grandfather was a Hurricane and Spitfire pilot. I never met him as he passed away many years ago before I was born. I like to attach sentimental meaning to my watch purchases as some of you do also i'm sure.

He may have worn an IWC but it was more probable that he wore an Omega as many RAF pilots were issued them in those days. I also love the design of the Speedmaster.

The new Spitfires (41mm) have an new in-house movement for 2019 and i'm sure you know all know about the Moonwatch (42mm). I would like to buy new.

I welcome your suggestions, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1813535.png.transform.buying-options_watch_1000.jpeg (115.4 KB, 626 views)
File Type: jpg o31130423001006.jpg (51.2 KB, 626 views)
File Type: jpg Speedy1.jpg (164.9 KB, 624 views)
Watch Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 09:57 PM   #2
Gert
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub, TT SubC LN
For me it would be the IWC.
Although world famous of course I think the classic Speedmaster is somewhat a dull watch to look at. Just my 2 cents..
Gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 10:12 PM   #3
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
For me it would be the IWC.
Although world famous of course I think the classic Speedmaster is somewhat a dull watch to look at. Just my 2 cents..
Thanks Gerrit.
Old 9 April 2019, 10:41 PM   #4
Gert
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub, TT SubC LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Explorer View Post
Thanks Gerrit.

You’re welcome

Have you seen the new iwc chrono spitfire in Bronze? Tried it on a couple of weeks ago.. although I’m not that fond of bronze, a real stunner IMO..

Gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 10:47 PM   #5
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
You’re welcome

Have you seen the new iwc chrono spitfire in Bronze? Tried it on a couple of weeks ago.. although I’m not that fond of bronze, a real stunner IMO..

Wow that looks fantastic. I have seen it before only in pictures. I am hesitant about how the bronze will age and how to my knowledge it is not a traditional material used for pilot watches. It is still very tempting though!

My local boutique will let me know when they have the new 2019 models in stock to try.
Old 9 April 2019, 10:26 PM   #6
JayHantz
"TRF" Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I would also pick the IWC due to the connection with your grandfather. I also like the new in house movements with IWC and I think it’s a great looking watch.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 10:39 PM   #7
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
I would also pick the IWC due to the connection with your grandfather. I also like the new in house movements with IWC and I think it’s a great looking watch.
Thanks Jonathan. The slightly smaller size may suit me better also.
Old 9 April 2019, 10:50 PM   #8
karmatp
"TRF" Member

That is such a tough choice. I have the Speedy Pro and a blue dialed IWC Mark XVIII. If the new spitfire was available when I was buying my Speedy, I might have chosen the IWC. I do love my Speedy Pro, and I do think it is a little more versatile than the new IWC pilot chrono’s. The reason I say that is I purchased my speedy on the bracelet and have a few straps to mix it up a bit. It looks amazing on everything I put it on, and the bracelet fits my wrist perfectly.
I also don’t love the nylon strap that comes on the IWC, seems like it should come on a nice Santoni strap.

Good luck with your decision, you really can’t lose with either choice.
Old 9 April 2019, 11:02 PM   #9
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
That is such a tough choice. I have the Speedy Pro and a blue dialed IWC Mark XVIII. If the new spitfire was available when I was buying my Speedy, I might have chosen the IWC. I do love my Speedy Pro, and I do think it is a little more versatile than the new IWC pilot chrono’s. The reason I say that is I purchased my speedy on the bracelet and have a few straps to mix it up a bit. It looks amazing on everything I put it on, and the bracelet fits my wrist perfectly.
I also don’t love the nylon strap that comes on the IWC, seems like it should come on a nice Santoni strap.

Good luck with your decision, you really can’t lose with either choice.
Thanks for your inout Trevor, nice combo you have with those two. I have tried the 43mm IWC chrono and it wears rather large for me but what a great looking dial it has! I agree about the Speedy looking good on almost any strap!

From the people I have spoken to at IWC, they seem to believe that their 60M WR rated watches are fine around water. I wouldn't swim with it on but compared to some things I have heard about the Speedy and water it is reassuring from IWC in comparison.

Old 9 April 2019, 11:23 PM   #10
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Normally, my choice would be the Speedy.

But, I think attaching this watch purchase to your grandfather's legacy is awesome. Is there any way to find out what he wore? If not, then I'd go IWC as a default. The spitfire is a pilot's watch through and through. The Speedy isn't.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 11:37 PM   #11
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Normally, my choice would be the Speedy.

But, I think attaching this watch purchase to your grandfather's legacy is awesome. Is there any way to find out what he wore? If not, then I'd go IWC as a default. The spitfire is a pilot's watch through and through. The Speedy isn't.
Thank you. Coming from someone with the screen name 'Speedmaster' that means a lot.

Unfortunately I can't find out exactly which watch he wore, but I have the medals he was awarded during his time.

Last edited by Watch Explorer; 9 April 2019 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 10 April 2019, 03:01 AM   #12
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Have you considered this (as a left of field alternative)?

No wrong choice with the 2 you’re debating but I was very surprised by the Breitling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 08:36 PM   #13
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Have you considered this (as a left of field alternative)?

No wrong choice with the 2 you’re debating but I was very surprised by the Breitling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks yes I have considered Breitling options as well. My favourite model of theirs currently is the new Navitimer '59 they showed at Baselworld this year.

Thanks for the input from everybody. The majority are saying IWC and I really look forward to seeing it at some point soon when they arrive at AD's. I still love the Speedy also
Old 10 April 2019, 03:42 AM   #14
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I bought a Speedmaster moon watch more because I liked the history than that I loved the design. I could never bond with it, and after it sat for years, I finally sold it to a friend (who loves it, btw).

For me, the reality was a bit of a letdown especially comparing it to the chrono competition.

I’d go IWC.
bobernet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 04:28 AM   #15
edo
"TRF" Member

Don't like faux patina on hands and markers and how it works with with white numbers...

Also, they changed the production model watch and it's not the same presented at SIHH... no Spitfire writing and the dial is not matted, so basically I didn't came across any live pic from the model you consider.
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 05:15 AM   #16
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Kinda like the iwc here. The Black speedy while classic I find a bit bland. I prefer their ltd variants in general, ST1 for example
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 06:16 AM   #17
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
The Speedy is nice but it history is overplayed. It reads something like "Years ago we tested a bunch of watches, and this was the best watch. So we gave it to our spacemen." Do not get me wrong, I like the chrono but the marketing campaign around it is a major turn off.

IWC milks some heritage too, so it is a tosser... Would go with IWC though.
Old 10 April 2019, 09:15 AM   #18
Mad Hatter
"TRF" Member

IWC hands down, much more personality, plus gotta have date. Speedmaster more of a racing theme watch, not aviation.
Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 09:20 AM   #19
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Both are great - I look forward to seeing that IWC in the flesh. I have a speedy pro, and it’s a classic. If you aren’t sure weather your GF wore an iwc or omega, then I would go with whichever feels like it’s a better fit on your wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 09:45 AM   #20
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

I like that IWC a lot
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 01:16 PM   #21
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Big fan of the iwc Pilots range here too.

Plus some great OEM strap options from iwc are available.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 05:04 PM   #22
DasKptl
Banned

IWC, hands down. This new Spitfire range looks especially well-designed, with new in-house movements.
DasKptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 05:30 PM   #23
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
big fan of the IWC, I slightly prefer the "online" model from last year that was available from a few of the boutiques...

Speedy Pro is also a timeless classic, but the IWC feels a bit more special.
As an ex owner of a bronze black bay, I didn't find the accumulating patina as nice as I'd hoped, so that put me pretty much off all alloyed bronze watches.
Old 11 April 2019, 08:05 PM   #24
Watch Explorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
big fan of the IWC, I slightly prefer the "online" model from last year that was available from a few of the boutiques...

Speedy Pro is also a timeless classic, but the IWC feels a bit more special.
As an ex owner of a bronze black bay, I didn't find the accumulating patina as nice as I'd hoped, so that put me pretty much off all alloyed bronze watches.
Wow that does look really great, with the 'Mark' handset as well. The 43mm size is a bit large for me after I tried on a Le Petit Prince chrono recently. I also like the idea of the new Spitfire range having in house movements.
Old 11 April 2019, 09:18 PM   #25
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The IWC is more interesting to me but you can never go wrong with a Speedmaster. Buy right and get a significant discount on your choice and if it does not work as well you can flip out to the other.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 09:13 AM   #26
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I have had multiple Speedmaster before. I love the "idea" and history of it, but some how when "I have to sell something for incoming", Speedy always got axed. Could be because I knew I can always get another down the road. But that also means I am not bonding with it as much as I wished I would.

And also, the non-stop release of "limited / special edition" Speedmaster some how left me doesn't want a Speedmater as much as before. I don't know why.

Between the IWC and Omega, I would go with the IWC because OP seems to have more of a story to tell about his choices of watch.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 03:08 PM   #27
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I much prefer the looks of the Omega.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 03:38 PM   #28
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

I would go with the IWC from those options. I think it's a nicer watch and for you personally, the spitfire connection for you buying it in remembrance of your grandfather is a very nice aspect.
Old 25 April 2019, 08:09 AM   #29
jaroush
"TRF" Member

IWC. Great looking piece!
jaroush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 08:20 AM   #30
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
IWC looks great plus there is your grandfather's connection.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote