The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 23 December 2017, 11:41 AM   #181
Mezz72
"TRF" Member

really scary to hear of such stuff. more so when i’m an overseas buyer at the other side of the globe.
i’ve bought quite a few pieces from trusted sellers here, cwieb, david smith, drster, jacek, kirill etc
i’m so very glad nothing has gone amiss so far.
as a buyer, i think it’s very important to ask questions and clear all the doubts you have. if the seller can’t answer or is not forthcoming with the answers at all, it’s best to avoid. no point saving that couple of dollars and take on a big risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mezz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 12:13 PM   #182
4vCoupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Terrible situation. I hope you get a positive resolution to this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
4vCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 07:04 PM   #183
K12AN
"TRF" Member

Was wondering is the moderators would be able to share details of karle12 details which were used to become a pledge member i.e. name, address, PayPal, credit card etc?
I'd like to add this to my reports to the authorities.

This person needs to be stopped.
Would be interesting to know also if Karle12 used the same details to join the forum as he/she did for other aliases used.
K12AN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 07:40 PM   #184
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12AN View Post
Was wondering is the moderators would be able to share details of karle12 details which were used to become a pledge member i.e. name, address, PayPal, credit card etc?
I'd like to add this to my reports to the authorities.

This person needs to be stopped.
Would be interesting to know also if Karle12 used the same details to join the forum as he/she did for other aliases used.
You need to contact admin for that kind of info. Send a Private Message to Lol-x (https://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=209).
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2017, 02:52 PM   #185
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

OP, so sorry this happened to you. Thieves are pond scum and karma is a b***h.

Good luck and I do hope this ends with happy ending.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2017, 09:58 PM   #186
drfaulkner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Expl II, TT DJII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thathorologist View Post
I understand that being a Pledge member basically means nothing but, what if Pledge members went through a security clearance before becoming a pledge member?
Like they would have to submit their references to mods and provide identification and proof of address, I think that would scare the scammers away, of course so much work for the mods but at least people wouldn’t be hurting like this.
Here are 2 of my suggestions for 2018;
1) Every Pledge member should put a watermark of Their Handle on posted pictures. A watermark that cannot be photoshopped. (Watermark doesn’t make people trustworthy it will only reduce the amount of pictures that are being stolen off of forums) Maybe a Piece of paper with TRF ID and Date the watch is being posted with 3 different time zones, NYC, Denver and LA timezones. And place the paper right in the middle of the picture like on the Thai RolexForums
2) Every Pledge member should verify identity and address before making a $25 donation.
Please feel free to add to this list.
Not every pledge member is interested in selling\buying. I am here for common interest in watches, information, education, entertainment and friendship.
drfaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2017, 02:04 AM   #187
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfaulkner View Post
Not every pledge member is interested in selling\buying. I am here for common interest in watches, information, education, entertainment and friendship.
I agree that some supporters just want to donate $25.00 to support the forum. Maybe sellers should have to make a $100.00 donation to be listed to sell. That may slow some of the scammers.

And the real sellers are making way more than that off one watch. All the big sellers are making out like fat cats. Only $25.00 a year overhead to run a business. Not to bad! Then some want to over charge you and claim supply and demand. So they can charge you more for a watch that they paid less for. Nothing like seeing the same seller post the same watch for sale several months later but increase the price. Then claim supply and demand for the price increase. If the demand was there they would have sold the watch on one of the first 2 postings for example .

Then if you want to use a credit card to afford you some protection. They want you to pay their fees for doing business with them. For a lot of sellers there is more being made than 2-3 hundred dollars. The big resellers are getting watches 10% to 30% below msrp. So don't fall for margins are tight, I can't come down any. GREED! of course this does not apply to all the sellers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2017, 04:01 AM   #188
Thathorologist
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfaulkner View Post
At this point we see a lot of people suffer because of these scams and everyone is trying to ease the pain and come up with ideas and solutions that are useful to help prevent these sort of scams. Not every tip, idea or solution is perfect and it may or may not work.
Thathorologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2017, 05:31 AM   #189
K12AN
"TRF" Member

In hindsight I wish I'd had a phone call with the seller and facetime or Skype to see their face at least.
Additionally if ask to see some proof in the video that they have the watch with them and proof of ID.
I'd also trawl through every detail of their history on the forum and not give the benefit of any doubt like I did in this instance.

The question is, would genuine sellers be out off this if a buyer requested this level of communication?
K12AN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2017, 05:57 AM   #190
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In hindsight I wish I'd had a phone call with the seller and facetime or Skype to see their face at least.
Additionally if ask to see some proof in the video that they have the watch with them and proof of ID.
I'd also trawl through every detail of their history on the forum and not give the benefit of any doubt like I did in this instance.

The question is, would genuine sellers be out off this if a buyer requested this level of communication?
Not if they want to make the sale.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2017, 06:31 AM   #191
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:

If you're a regular seller I imagine you might just move on to the next potential buyer. But if you don't buy/sell often (like me), I'd rather transact with a buyer that tried hard to verify my identity since it gives me more assurance that they too are legit.

Old 25 December 2017, 10:03 AM   #192
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
If you're a regular seller I imagine you might just move on to the next potential buyer. But if you don't buy/sell often (like me), I'd rather transact with a buyer that tried hard to verify my identity since it gives me more assurance that they too are legit.

Thats a very good point!^^^
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2017, 02:02 PM   #193
csuzak
2024 Pledge Member

Glad I read through this entire thread. Definitely going to go into each deal more cautiously than I did before I bought my Omegas, despite them being eBay sales.

Sorry this happened to you OP.
csuzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2017, 04:08 PM   #194
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Sellers should be completely willing to skype or chat. I always offer that in any listing of my personal watches seeing as I’m not a “trusted seller.” Just a guy with too many watches on the to do list
Old 30 December 2017, 03:43 AM   #195
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Only face to face...

I am a private individual and I want to sell an equal watch at the same price. But I would only face to face in a bank. It is the only way that gives security to both parties. Any other variant unless it is a recognized seller is risky.
You have to find a buyer in the same city that you live but there is no other way. May you have luck and wishes that you recover your money.
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 05:07 AM   #196
William.L.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 & 16013
Quote:

Nope. I welcome it. I guess it depends on the level in which you sell things, but I think for the average guy who does a decent amount of sales, spending the time to both verify who your potential customer is, along with putting their concern and worries at ease would be worth the time you'd have to make for it. I always offer my cell or work number which is a jewelry store.

I make it so I'm not hard to get a hold of, and welcome both a phone call or Skype or whatever. I also think it goes both ways..... while I'm happy to talk to someone and answer all of their questions, I'm weary of customers who only want to talk via text or email. In many circumstances there is reason for it, different language/timezone ect, but if your doing a transaction in the states, there's no reason not to pick up the phone and talk.
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
William.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2017, 12:38 AM   #197
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Simple answer

I have said this before and I will say it again. NEVER WIRE MONEY TO ANYONE, you are assuming all the risk. You have little to no recourse to get it back if the deal does not happen. Its an easy scam to pull off. I do not care who you are or how trusted you or anyone else says you are I will NEVER wire you money period! If a seller does not trust sending you the watch before you send money, then why should you trust them and send them a wire before they send a watch? YOU DONT WIRE MONEY TO AMAZON? Do you? I am sorry but I am going to have some protection on my side in the event of a scam or bad deal. Those that think the buyer should assume all the risk are foolish. If a seller will only deal with a wire, move on find a better seller that is affording you some protection.

Being a pledge member on here means NOTHING! Except you sent some money to be able to sell or in this case SCAM someone.
roaddog359 is offline Report Post

This is the simple answer- I don’t care about the references and all the “answers” to find a trust worthy seller- wasting your time! Just DON’T wire transfer to anyone! If you don’t personally know them - you protect yourself by using cc and pay pal or trusted seller on Chrono. Here is a great test - when seller insists on wire- tell them to send you the watch and the instant you receive it you will wire the funds- ha! See how that works! Don’t be foolish. Sadly, the op simply lost his 7 grand, he won’t get it back! Now are you fellow watch enthusiasts going to learn from his sad experience??? Don’t wire funds ! Sincerely James in SA
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2017, 05:44 AM   #198
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
I have said this before and I will say it again. NEVER WIRE MONEY TO ANYONE, you are assuming all the risk. You have little to no recourse to get it back if the deal does not happen. Its an easy scam to pull off. I do not care who you are or how trusted you or anyone else says you are I will NEVER wire you money period! If a seller does not trust sending you the watch before you send money, then why should you trust them and send them a wire before they send a watch? YOU DONT WIRE MONEY TO AMAZON? Do you? I am sorry but I am going to have some protection on my side in the event of a scam or bad deal. Those that think the buyer should assume all the risk are foolish. If a seller will only deal with a wire, move on find a better seller that is affording you some protection.

Being a pledge member on here means NOTHING! Except you sent some money to be able to sell or in this case SCAM someone.

This is the simple answer- I don’t care about the references and all the “answers” to find a trust worthy seller- wasting your time! Just DON’T wire transfer to anyone! If you don’t personally know them - you protect yourself by using cc and pay pal or trusted seller on Chrono. Here is a great test - when seller insists on wire- tell them to send you the watch and the instant you receive it you will wire the funds- ha! See how that works! Don’t be foolish. Sadly, the op simply lost his 7 grand, he won’t get it back! Now are you fellow watch enthusiasts going to learn from his sad experience??? Don’t wire funds ! Sincerely James in SA
Obviously nobody will ever send the merchandise before funds received, you’re just wasting someone’s time even reaching out with these terms... I’m extremely cautious, but after I’ve done enough DD, I’d wire money. For every thread like this, I’d bet there are 1000’s upon 1000’s of successful transactions on this board with both parties happy. OP even admits not doing enough DD. It sucks and I feel bad for anyone that gets scammed, but I’d bet the overwhelming amount of the time, had they taken a few extra steps, it could’ve been avoided.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 11:39 AM   #199
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

If you feel that way you are best off just dealing with ADs and your credit card. Nobody delivers goods without payment first. Selling a watch is much scarier than buying one because the buyers come to you out of the woodwork and typically have a low post count and little to no reputation whatsoever.
Old 2 January 2018, 12:05 PM   #200
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Back in 2008 when I first became a TRF member I did send - watches first - to 3-4 buyers.
Never lost a watch - but I insisted in sending at their place of work - I felt that checking
them out was easier -
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 12:11 PM   #201
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
If you feel that way you are best off just dealing with ADs and your credit card. Nobody delivers goods without payment first. Selling a watch is much scarier than buying one because the buyers come to you out of the woodwork and typically have a low post count and little to no reputation whatsoever.
Absolutely right... the majority of my sales have been to people who have created a TRF account within the last month and/or have 0 posts/feedback... there are a ton of scams sellers have to be on top of as well... from fake bills to fraudulent chargebacks... best recommendation for a buyer is deal only with people who have an established history and when in any kind of doubt, walk away... if you feel compelled to buy from someone with a low post count or minimal selling history, establish an identity first and make sure they have something to lose...

Last edited by jvmartin; 2 January 2018 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: misspelling
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 06:40 AM   #202
vincenzowl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Just read through this whole thread. Terrible, sorry to hear the op and the other member. Hopefully it can get resolved. I feel most of the due diligence should fall on the buyer. If the seller is not a trusted seller on this forum, the buyer needs to go through all the steps necessary to authenticate.
vincenzowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 11:22 AM   #203
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
Sorry to hear about this and really frustrating that these scumbags lurk the forums looking for victims. That being said this is the main reason the only person I will ever wire money to is DavidSW. Always buy the seller.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 12:12 PM   #204
Mb8780
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
This happened to me in March of last year from a scammer on a different site. Same deal. Eventually Wells Fargo got some of my money back. (Paid $5400 for a 114060) I ended up getting 2700 back in August after all the run around. Let’s just say I’m very very careful now and usually just buy from my AD.

Mike

Mb8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 02:59 PM   #205
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb8780 View Post
This happened to me in March of last year from a scammer on a different site. Same deal. Eventually Wells Fargo got some of my money back. (Paid $5400 for a 114060) I ended up getting 2700 back in August after all the run around. Let’s just say I’m very very careful now and usually just buy from my AD.

Mike

Curious, if you don't mind my asking, but how were you able to get a partial refund of your money? I assumed it would have been refunded in full or not at all. Sadly, most often the later.

Was the scammer able to make a partial restitution and off the hook for the rest?
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 03:10 PM   #206
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Absolutely awful OP....Hope this all gets straightened out....What kind of dick does something like this?
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 01:35 AM   #207
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
what a terrible story..... hate this kind of ''lowball people''
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 02:13 AM   #208
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
You are new so I will cut you some slack, but your post is absurd. I have wired money to people for watches and will do so in the future. Please don't generalize. And please don't give orders to all of TRF. You have no authority to do so.

Quote:

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 06:22 AM   #209
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
The term is “buyer beware” not seller beware. If the seller gets scammed or loses money it is a cost of doing business. He can then pass that on to other buyers as higher prices if he chooses to do so. The buyer has no similar remedy. Thus it behooves a buyer to do more due diligence than a seller might.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 07:07 AM   #210
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfrank View Post
The term is “buyer beware” not seller beware. If the seller gets scammed or loses money it is a cost of doing business. He can then pass that on to other buyers as higher prices if he chooses to do so. The buyer has no similar remedy. Thus it behooves a buyer to do more due diligence than a seller might.

Hmm. When I sell items worth large dollar amounts I tend to do my DD on the buyer too.