The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 22 July 2022, 03:16 PM   #121
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
With gray market prices on the decline, I am thinking of going in that direction as the AD wait is so frustrating.

I am having problems with begging a commissioned salesperson to let me spend a large sum of money...life is too short.

Do the experts have favorite gray dealers (US based)?

I am interested in the Batman mostly, but the unattainables (Panda/PT DD) are also part of my long-term plans.

Thanks.
batmans are in the 17-18 now, some sold for 16 depending on the condition.
eijiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 04:59 PM   #122
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
For me when the SS Daytona was £15k or so briefly when the pandemic started, I wasn’t interested in it even then. Although it has undoubtedly become an icon in the watch world, it just doesn’t have a place in my collection.

However I am a Daytona fan, the model gets some hate because of its success (that’s just how it goes)
And people not being able to afford it and frustration with ADs.

For me I buy if I feel comfortable spending that amount I just go for it at the time. Do I always want to get the best deal possible? Of course I do but a couple k here Or there when we’re already in the tens of thousands is largely irrelevant.

These two give me my fix, the YG Paul Newman was my latest purchase and was never really on my radar untill I saw it in person, one of my favourites now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That YG Daytona is fire! JSolution must have one of the best PM collections on TRF.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 05:03 PM   #123
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

I have a YG, black dial bought at MSRP
SS, white dial bought at MSRP

Plan on adding a TT, black dial with diamond markers next, at MSRP

So my price is retail
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 05:50 PM   #124
Rofflecakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Paid 24k for my 2013 116520 serviced this year - ~42% over retail. I'm happy with this and not bothered if it loses value as I really enjoy this watch and unable to obtain the 116500LN from my local AD.
Rofflecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 05:53 PM   #125
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I’d have one at rrp. Not keen enough on the model to pay market for it. I paid market for the BLRO, but I really wanted that one.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 07:52 PM   #126
taitun4life
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
MSRP and no more….

Get what you love and wear ‘em…..
taitun4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 09:35 PM   #127
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
For me when the SS Daytona was £15k or so briefly when the pandemic started, I wasn’t interested in it even then. Although it has undoubtedly become an icon in the watch world, it just doesn’t have a place in my collection.

However I am a Daytona fan, the model gets some hate because of its success (that’s just how it goes)
And people not being able to afford it and frustration with ADs.

For me I buy if I feel comfortable spending that amount I just go for it at the time. Do I always want to get the best deal possible? Of course I do but a couple k here Or there when we’re already in the tens of thousands is largely irrelevant.

These two give me my fix, the YG Paul Newman was my latest purchase and was never really on my radar untill I saw it in person, one of my favourites now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stunning Daytona heavy hitters.
Old 23 July 2022, 02:15 AM   #128
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Exp Polar
Uh oh; you're talking about watch prices. Be careful! We're not supposed to do that lest the thread is closed or deleted...

Bobcat Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 03:49 AM   #129
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
Uh oh; you're talking about watch prices. Be careful! We're not supposed to do that lest the thread is closed or deleted...

First rule of TRF, we don't talk about prices. Second rule of TRF, we don't talk about prices. The third rule, now this is the most important, we do not talk about prices! LOL
amphr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 03:52 AM   #130
dmash
"TRF" Member

We don’t need mods to close the thread

JSolution shuts down the thread anyways when he posts pics like that
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 07:08 PM   #131
premium2
Banned

Daytona is never going to hit $25k.
premium2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 07:21 PM   #132
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
That YG Daytona is fire! JSolution must have one of the best PM collections on TRF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Stunning Daytona heavy hitters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
We don’t need mods to close the thread

JSolution shuts down the thread anyways when he posts pics like that
I wasn’t trying to show off

But many thanks for the comments :)

I will get them all together at some point I’d love to share my collection with everyone.

I posted my full collection a 2/3 years ago I think and it’s changed considerably since then!
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 09:10 PM   #133
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Daley View Post
I'll never pay a penny over MSRP for any watch. Re: Daytona my price would be $0 but only because I'm not a fan of chronographs. I think the Daytona looks good, but as I don't time anything, and it's not a complication that excites me, I'd prefer to see someone else have a bite at the apple.

Good luck OP!

Sent from my SM-F700U1 using Tapatalk
Totally agree, it's going to be MSRP or lower. Makes not sense to overpay MSRP for Rolex unless someone is trying to resell higher than what the bought the price at..
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 09:15 PM   #134
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Tan View Post
….

Only thing bothering me from pulling the trigger is not economy.
Rather it’s my OCD with the unbalanced lugs.

I know it don’t bother most ppl.
But I still can’t accept left & right lugs is not balanced due to pushers displacement….
There’s also the unbalanced 3and 9 sub dials
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 09:25 PM   #135
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
The Daytona is a grail watch for a lot of people. The crazy prices that are now coming down IMO have conditioned ppl to think that 12-15k over retail is worth it.

Like it or not, this means that it will not likely drop to say 25k (atleast for a SS white dial, I assume the black dial would go for 5k or so less than whatever the white version is selling for) as ppl would start snatching them up…causing the prices to go up again.

Just my 2 cents…if we go into a real recession, lots of bad things can happen as we all know.

Even then, if you can get one in the grey market for say 20-25k, once the recession is over (and good luck everyone!) you can bet your bottom $ that the prices will go up again with a quickness.
Are people trading selling watches brand new in box with papers and etc. for it even to reach higher price levels. It's crazy to think buy "X" brand watch is treated as an investment. Store/keep it away locked up in a safe, not being able to wear the watch for 5-10 years.
Old 23 July 2022, 09:32 PM   #136
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahammackay86 View Post
Lots of stupid replies on this, if you you’re waiting for a steel Daytona to be priced at $20,000 or less on the secondary market you’ll be waiting a while. Good luck with that.
I do not support the secondary market at all. What's the point, no value added to pay the premium to the seller. It's all hype when it comes down to it..
Old 23 July 2022, 09:33 PM   #137
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
I wasn’t trying to show off

But many thanks for the comments :)

I will get them all together at some point I’d love to share my collection with everyone.

I posted my full collection a 2/3 years ago I think and it’s changed considerably since then!
Seen your different watches over time, beautiful collection dude!!
Old 23 July 2022, 10:33 PM   #138
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by premium2 View Post
Daytona is never going to hit $25k.
It will be there after the next two rate hikes take place (next week and September) wait and see.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 10:37 PM   #139
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Seen your different watches over time, beautiful collection dude!!
Cheers Gary as mentioned before your YG Daytona always wowed me in photos and unconsciously had a part in my latest purchase.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 10:37 PM   #140
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
It will be there after the next two rate hikes take place (next week and September) wait and see.
My thoughts as well. Black dial already going for 29k
Old 23 July 2022, 10:52 PM   #141
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
My thoughts as well. Black dial already going for 29k
I don’t expect Daytona to hit MSRP simply because they don’t make that many of them and the ‘list’ for them is longer than any other model. People who claim it can’t get down below $20k haven’t been paying attention the last few months.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 02:36 AM   #142
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

My price limit for a Daytona was around $5000 for my Speedmaster. Not interested in a Daytona.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 08:33 AM   #143
SBR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Agree. Saying something will never happen is a recipe for disaster. That said, if they go below 20K, I am all in.
SBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 09:21 AM   #144
Politiceaux
"TRF" Member

If buying to keep, probably about $6k-$7k, given that one can buy the superior Zenith Chronomaster Sport for ~$9k every day of the week.

If I didn’t have to keep it, I would buy at retail if offered as long as people are bizarrely paying near PM prices for steel watches.
Politiceaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 09:24 AM   #145
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politiceaux View Post
If buying to keep, probably about $6k-$7k, given that one can buy the superior Zenith Chronomaster Sport for ~$9k every day of the week.

If I didn’t have to keep it, I would buy at retail if offered as long as people are bizarrely paying near PM prices for steel watches.
superior in which way? the watch is almost a carbon copy of the daytona design wise with a smaller power reserve (60 vs 72). it's just bigger and has a date but i wouldn't necessarily call it superior because of that
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 09:38 AM   #146
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politiceaux View Post

I don't like the 3 color sub-dials. It's like it can't decide which color to use so they put it all in there. Just a personal preference obviously.
amphr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 09:49 AM   #147
Politiceaux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
superior in which way? the watch is almost a carbon copy of the daytona design wise with a smaller power reserve (60 vs 72). it's just bigger and has a date but i wouldn't necessarily call it superior because of that
I go crazy without a date, the 38.5mm Daytona is too small on me, and I find the 36k VPH el primero 3600 movement quite superior technically to the 4130.

Different strokes.

For my dollar, the Chronomaster Sport is the superior watch. I’m not asking anyone to agree with me, especially on a Rolex forum on which it is THE cliche darling, but I wouldn’t personally pay more for a steel Daytona unless it was to sell it to someone willing to overpay.
Politiceaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 09:58 AM   #148
wjv4200
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
I do not support the secondary market at all. What's the point, no value added to pay the premium to the seller. It's all hype when it comes down to it..
I have used the secondary market quite a few times for trades (On watches purchased @msrp market price for market price is acceptable) and if the premium is worth avoiding the wait/process it serves it’s purpose. But that determination is at the discretion of the buyer.
wjv4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 12:44 PM   #149
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I have had both a black dial and a white dial 116520 that I bought and sold each for about $9,500 before the run up in price. I bought a 116503 in white dial at MSRP ($17,400) from an AD after a six month wait in May of 2021.

I like the TT White dial. The more modern bezel looks to me way more modern than the previous 116523. To me it has a special place, as it is given to the podium winners at the 24 Hours at Daytona and at the 24 Hours at le Mans. When I see the premiums the stainless models have, I can not reconcile it.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote