The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 July 2022, 12:49 PM   #1
prk154
"TRF" Member

40mm Quaranta 1271 White Dial

I had the itch for something to wear on a leather strap to rotate with my Sub-Date and thought that a white dial Panerai would fit the bill as the perfect polar opposite. When I saw the new Quaranta, I was drawn to the smaller case size because the larger Panerais (44mm+) have always deterred me. So I made the impulse buy without my typical research or actually trying one on in person (I usually do too much research before buying anything).

Now that I've had it for a few weeks, there are times when I feel like it is just too small... especially for a Panerai. It looks decent in some close-up pictures, but feel like it seems small when looking in the mirror or at some other angles. I also have been reading about Panerai's "cheapening" of their movements lately (thanks to Jose) and I'm starting to have serious buyers remorse.

After doing more research, I feel like the 42mm 1392 or 722 with the hacking P.9010 movement (exhibition caseback) would be the perfect fit for what I'm looking for... bigger yet still thin case, sandwich dial, higher quality movement. The problem is that I'd now be losing my behind selling/trading this Quaranta to any grey dealers (I've never sold anything myself) and I've only owned it for two weeks.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Maybe some similar stories and what you did?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220627_190608200_3 (3).jpg (284.9 KB, 268 views)
prk154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 03:40 PM   #2
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
Tbh it is smaller but you could just train your eye to get used to it. The white dial is more wearable than the 1392/722.

I had the same quandary, albeit when wearing my exp II vs YM40. YM seems tiny, but, I really like it. So I just wear it
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 09:12 PM   #3
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
For me, once a watch does not work it typically never works. You gave it a try and would prefer something else. The only thing stopping a trade or a sale is the funds involved. I would talk to whoever you got the watch from and see if they would take it back on a trade for a watch that you want. If not, I would get on the phone, no email, and start calling the Trusted Sellers to try and work out a trade. I look at my watch mistakes as a live and learn situation. Sometimes they cost me some money and sometimes they just cost me time but either way it is all part of the hobby. I would not overthink it, I would get the trade/sell information and make the best deal possible. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 01:56 AM   #4
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Its a nice watch and yes small for a Panerai, my suggestion is to go for 44mm next as even 42mm starts to feel small , I have all 42 , 44 and 45 radiomir.

Im sure the resale on 40mm will be a massacre, better is to gift it to your wife or any family member.
Old 7 July 2022, 02:11 AM   #5
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

What strap in the original OP image?
roger.bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 02:19 AM   #6
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Bummer you’re not a fan of it - I really like mine, but also enjoy my 42mm and 44mm PAMs as well.

I dig my 1271 for situations where I need to wear a dress shirt and whatnot. Given that you’ve already got it in hand, I’d encourage you to give it a go for awhile, since as you pointed out, you already know you’re likely to get rocked on a trade.

Still, if you are certain it’s not for you, as William said, making the best deal you can as quickly as you can and chalking it up to lessons learned is the way to go.

Good luck on this one, hope you find the right one to rotate with your sub!
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 06:01 AM   #7
prk154
"TRF" Member

Thank you all very much for the feedback and stories. The strap is a simple one that I bought off of a local craftsman. Nothing fancy, but I like how it has worn in. I previously used it on a different watch.

I'll probably do some more digging for sale/trade options, but it looks like I'll be losing close to 2k on any deal so far. Ive found a 722 that I might like...it's pretty much a 1392 but on a Steel bracelet. Do any of you Panerai experts have any thoughts/opinions for me on this model? Id probably change to a leather strap almost immediately anyway. Thanks again!
prk154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 12:14 PM   #8
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
I think it fits your wrist perfectly and you should consider keeping it. Very few people wear the right size watch for their wrist. You nailed it.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2022, 02:50 AM   #9
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
I think it fits your wrist perfectly and you should consider keeping it. Very few people wear the right size watch for their wrist. You nailed it.
I agree with this statement. Fits you like a glove & looks great on the strap.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2022, 09:47 AM   #10
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prk154 View Post
I had the itch for something to wear on a leather strap to rotate with my Sub-Date and thought that a white dial Panerai would fit the bill as the perfect polar opposite. When I saw the new Quaranta, I was drawn to the smaller case size because the larger Panerais (44mm+) have always deterred me. So I made the impulse buy without my typical research or actually trying one on in person (I usually do too much research before buying anything).

Now that I've had it for a few weeks, there are times when I feel like it is just too small... especially for a Panerai. It looks decent in some close-up pictures, but feel like it seems small when looking in the mirror or at some other angles. I also have been reading about Panerai's "cheapening" of their movements lately (thanks to Jose) and I'm starting to have serious buyers remorse.

After doing more research, I feel like the 42mm 1392 or 722 with the hacking P.9010 movement (exhibition caseback) would be the perfect fit for what I'm looking for... bigger yet still thin case, sandwich dial, higher quality movement. The problem is that I'd now be losing my behind selling/trading this Quaranta to any grey dealers (I've never sold anything myself) and I've only owned it for two weeks.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Maybe some similar stories and what you did?
It looks fine on your wrist, similar to how 36mm DJs and DDs look on wrists in many posted pics.

But Panerais have historically been more of an oversized watch, and in pics from further away, that probably will appear smaller than the classic Panerai.

There's no right/wrong answer, just what you enjoy wearing.

If you feel it's too small, it's too small for you and will keep bugging ya.
No matter what anyone else says.

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2022, 11:27 PM   #11
thewolfofmiddlesex
"TRF" Member

I think it's a perfect fit and a beautiful watch. It's very versatile and the look changes significantly with different straps. If you feel you want a chunkier more casual look, try it on a divers. Here's mine on the aligator and a divers. Changes the feel and look massively.
PXL_20220713_185015077~2.jpg
PXL_20220714_111505536.jpg
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
thewolfofmiddlesex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2022, 11:41 PM   #12
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
↑ Agreed. No need to mess with perfection. Very handsome watch.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote