The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 October 2008, 09:33 AM   #1
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

A watch for your future & soul

So in my world, and perhaps the watch world as well, there are only two watch companies that have done it right for the long-term. Rolex and Patek. There are no others out there that can claim a reputation of quality, style and workmanship as these two firms.

Now at 30, I am older than some & younger than many, and of all the watches out there, I am attracted to only a minute few of them. The Rolex SUB Date I have, as well as the next purchases: White dial SS Daytona and Possibly a Panerai PAM 48. Then there's the idea of that one grail watch down the road: Patek.

Age aside (not just us), what about Panerai though? They have a great name going for them. I'd liken it to say Krispy Kream, or perhaps In-N-Out Burger. Their symbol may have something else to be worked out though. With the arrows and seemingly endless lines; what were they thinking? Also, what about the size of most the offerings in general. I mean, how many of us can pull off a 44mm-47mm piece on the wrist. Is it a fad?

Don't get me wrong- I LOVE Panerai. It's youthful and has a unique look that no other watch company out there can come close to. That said, what do you think about Panerai? Is this a business that's here to stay, or is it a fad? Is this a watch for the future and soul?

Curious to know your thoughts, as I greatly miss the PAM 48 I sold....but adore my Rolex SD!

-Bryan
B. Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 09:37 AM   #2
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
I think if you can swing it a Panny belongs in every watch collection. I have a 44mm 233 and really like it.

As you know, straps really make then fun too.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 09:53 AM   #3
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
i'm not sure about your assertion that only rolex and pp have it goin' on in the watch world. as for panerai, not my cup of tea, but they have their following and as a watch lover i respect the brand. i don't think they are a fad.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 09:56 AM   #4
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
With all honesty and no disrespect to Panerai but I never really understood the styles of many of their watches. They don't speak to me at all and you can say that I'm not really fond of them. So Ill pass on many of their watches...
-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 09:57 AM   #5
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
I sold my Milgauss and ordered a PAM 183- it will be here in 6 weeks. I cannot wait!! I recieved more personal service from Panerai within 30 seconds of ordering than I have after spending over $12000 on two rolexes (april and JUne) over the last 7 months

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 10:08 AM   #6
mike
"TRF" Member

I'd hardly call Panerai a fad. There's is among the strongest of followings and has a strong military history.

To be honest Panerai and Blancpain always get my attention. I looked strongly at a Blancpain FF chrono in Hawaii recently. Had it been the normal diver........
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 10:10 AM   #7
doghouse

Watch: submariner
I was actually going in to buy a Panerai the day I bought my Sub. Both watches spoke to me. But the Rolex said 15% off.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 10:47 AM   #8
Time Traveller

Panerai is here to stay. Their watches are winners. I don't think they are anything like Krispy Kream, the company is older than Rolex. Panerai was founded in 1860. Now since you mentioned fad, look at Jacob & Co. I have yet to see a J&Co on a forum from any serious watch enthusiast.
Time Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 10:51 AM   #9
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Traveller View Post
Panerai is here to stay. Their watches are winners. I don't think they are anything like Krispy Kream, the company is older than Rolex. Panerai was founded in 1860.
I agree they are here to stay, but you need to disclose more for the newbies. When did they start making watches? What movements did Panny use when they made their first watches?
Old 14 October 2008, 10:55 AM   #10
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I'd hardly call Panerai a fad. There's is among the strongest of followings and has a strong military history.

To be honest Panerai and Blancpain always get my attention. I looked strongly at a Blancpain FF chrono in Hawaii recently. Had it been the normal diver........
I have no blind loyalty to any brand. I pulled out the WatchTime FF review this afternoon and reread it. I had hoped the Vintage IWCs would save me some cash but, as usual, stellar advice by Lee (Jedi) has pushed me back toward the FF.
Old 14 October 2008, 12:47 PM   #11
VtailFlyer

Omega. Nuff said.
VtailFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 12:55 PM   #12
thecoinopcollector

I'd put A. Lange and Franck Muller up there as well. I like PAM's but have been reluctant myself to buy one worying maybe they will go out of style. A Sub, GMT, Milgauss etc. will never go out of style. They are like windsor chairs or a chippendale highboy, timeless classics.

Marc
thecoinopcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 01:16 PM   #13
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I have no blind loyalty to any brand. I pulled out the WatchTime FF review this afternoon and reread it. I had hoped the Vintage IWCs would save me some cash but, as usual, stellar advice by Lee (Jedi) has pushed me back toward the FF.
I too have no blind loyalty. I'm loving Rolex. I'm loving Panerai. I'm loving JLC. Show me watches that I like and I'll buy 'em.

ps I Love seiko's too!!!!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 01:27 PM   #14
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I agree with the A. Lange as being up there as well (as previous post declared).

I was going to buy a PAM 24 or 25 Submersible, but just couldn't see myself pulling either off with a suit. So I looked at Rolex again, and the submariner was the best of both worlds. Casual and can be dressed up.

I agree with the posts of customer service. They nearly fell over me at the Rodeo Drive boutique and I'm not a star. I really love the way they treat you there. No assumptions. They showed me a beautiful brown dial Luminor with steel band --- really quite nice, but up until just the past year or so, they didn't manufacture their own movements. This just puts me off of them a bit ... kind of puts them in Omega league (a bit tainted in my book).
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 02:24 PM   #15
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Bought one PAM .... and "the rest" disappeared quickly.More PAMs followed soon afterwards.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 11:08 PM   #16
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Since I love watch, only two brand I like Rolex & Panerai. My first puchased watch is Panerai (112 H). Too bad I flip it, because I don't really like the model without little second hand. So, after think and re-think, I sold my Subdate (Y serial) to bought a brand new 111 (September 29). I think I never regret it. Just sometimes I still remember my 16610. 5 days after that I decide to trade my Milgauss with 183. This is the BEST trade I ever do in my life!!! I really like 183. I falling in LOVE with this one!!!
I like Pannie because they very simple. I don't really like complicated watch.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2008, 02:05 AM   #17
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG JeEzY View Post
With all honesty and no disrespect to Panerai but I never really understood the styles of many of their watches. They don't speak to me at all and you can say that I'm not really fond of them. So Ill pass on many of their watches...
They do nothing for me personally either, but I appreciate their history and those who like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
So in my world, and perhaps the watch world as well, there are only two watch companies that have done it right for the long-term. Rolex and Patek. There are no others out there that can claim a reputation of quality, style and workmanship as these two firms.

Now at 30, I am older than some & younger than many, and of all the watches out there, I am attracted to only a minute few of them. The Rolex SUB Date I have, as well as the next purchases: White dial SS Daytona and Possibly a Panerai PAM 48. Then there's the idea of that one grail watch down the road: Patek.

-Bryan
Patek is THE GRAIL WATCH for me. The pinnacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtailFlyer View Post
Omega. Nuff said.
I'll take an Omega over a Pam any day.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2008, 02:07 AM   #18
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Oh, and JLC is another brand that's been getting me fired up lately. Esp the Reverso Grande Sun Moon.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2008, 02:57 AM   #19
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoinopcollector View Post
I'd put A. Lange and Franck Muller up there as well. I like PAM's but have been reluctant myself to buy one worying maybe they will go out of style. A Sub, GMT, Milgauss etc. will never go out of style. They are like windsor chairs or a chippendale highboy, timeless classics.

Marc

I don't get this Franck Mueller appreciation.

Have you not read or heard what happened? Would you pay all that money for what may be a movement worth just a couple of quid (or bucks)?

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2008, 03:02 AM   #20
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
A PAM was my 2nd nice watch. I bought three Rolexes since, but I still look at PAMs.
Old 15 October 2008, 07:21 AM   #21
brainbizz

[QUOTE=TswaneNguni;791565]Bought one PAM .... and "the rest" disappeared quickly.More PAMs followed soon afterwards.

Absolutely true, in one year I amassed about 20 PAMS and my Daytonas and Millgauses got kicked to the curb. After wearing the larger watches 40 mm just seems to small. Doubtful of them being a fad it is just the numbers are no where close to rolex. They just do not produce the quantity.
brainbizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2008, 08:25 PM   #22
skeen
"TRF" Member

I've learned that the most important thing to do, when weighing up whether you truly like a brand or not, is to just try it on.

I learned about Panerai from this very forum, and after staring at Rolex's everyday, their watches looked totally alien to me. I didn't like them.

It was when I went into an AD, to ask about Rolex's, that I tried on the Panerai I bought a day later.

I now also like Bell & Ross, whereas before I thought they were ridiculous. Seeing watches in person makes a huge difference.

As for Panerai being a thread, I started a thread on that very subject.
skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2008, 10:20 PM   #23
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
PAM is the coolest watch I ever seen. Specially the HISTORIC one.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2008, 10:31 PM   #24
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
They are all good. Get the watch that you like the best. The watch that has the functions you need and fits your wrist well. I have Panerais, IWC, Glashutte, and Blancpain brands currently. In past have owned 9 different Rolex watches. Probably selling all the Panerais in the near future, due to financial reasons and they have the best resell and easiest resell value out of all.

Now out of all of my watches, I have to say I like my IWC Aquatimer 44mm from Vintage Collection the best. And I never get tired of looking at the dial of the Glashutte 44mm Navigator. Both have superb in house movements and well engineered quality.

And as far as Military related history goes, the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms has the most history, more so than Panerai.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote