The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 November 2018, 03:48 PM   #1
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Keeping and caring for a fountain pen

Not long now until ‘I’m allowed’ to use my new Platinum Izumo Urushi which I’ve patiently been enjoying the wait for.

I don’t intend to take the pen with me when I’m on the road, so it will just be for my usual office.

I’ve already gained some great tips around flushing the pen out with water if not using for a few weeks, don’t carry it inside a note book - rather a pocket.

Have you all got any other little tips or tricks on how to keep the nib safe, the pen in great condition (I read avoid acetone cleaners at all costs) and generally avoid mishaps or mishandling.

Thanks in advance !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Obvious, dont drop it on the nib but in your office setting dont allow anyone to use it should they ask.
If you really do have to warn them to be careful and light with it.
There's nothing worse than seeing someone who's never used a fountain pen trying out somebody else's nib for the first time.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Old 16 November 2018, 06:50 PM   #3
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdogg View Post
Obvious, dont drop it on the nib but in your office setting dont allow anyone to use it should they ask.
If you really do have to warn them to be careful and light with it.
There's nothing worse than seeing someone who's never used a fountain pen trying out somebody else's nib for the first time.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Second that. Also, store vertically with the nib up if you are not using it for a few days. Finally enjoy it. Most pens are surprisingly robust so focus on the pleasure of using it rather than fear of breaking it

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 09:58 PM   #4
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
I love my Izumos but they get no special care or need special care. Remember that historically urushi finish was used for everyday utilitarian objects, plates and boxes and tables and cups and bowls. It's very forgiving and meant to be used as an everyday object. Direct sunlight will hasten fading but again, it was used on statues and armor and scabbards and buildings for centuries.

And don't worry about letting others try your new fountain pen but do use it as a teaching moment, explain how to use it first, then allow them to try it but keep the cap in your hands.

jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:27 AM   #5
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Amen! Use them in the extreme!!! Wonderful writing instruments!!~!

Love them all!!!
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:41 AM   #6
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Thanks all - good to know about storing upright over the weekends or when I’m away travelling.

Damaging the nib is my primary concern but I think I will just get in the habit of replacing the cap unless I’m physically writing something, or holding it to write.

Very interesting too about the various uses of the urushi finish. Didn’t realise that !

Having issues posting pics at the moment via tapatalk but will hopefully have it sorted soon so I can share some writing photos too with some of the various inks I’ve got waiting.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:32 AM   #7
ColtAuto7
"TRF" Member

Watch: A 16613 "Blue Boy"
When cleaning or merely flushing out a system in prepping for an ink change, make effort to use distilled or deionized water. Though the amount of minerals in most tap water is unlikely to cause problems, the feed mechanisms in our pens are temperamental. With a gallon of distilled water going for perhaps one dollar there are few reasons not to take this minor precaution.

I've read if one periodically uses their pens and there isn't evidence of a clogged feed or, in the event the instrument is a reservoir feed, difficulty in operating the plunger mechanism, there probably isn't cause for concern for 'deep cleaning'. Nearly all mass-produced inks contain some manner of algae/fungus inhibitor and lubricant.

--Robert
ColtAuto7 is offline   Reply With Quote