The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 March 2019, 02:23 AM   #1
Blah114aa
Banned

Watch: Iphone
Kidney stones... a new level of pain

Whom here has endured kidney stones.... ? I recently did. I wouldn’t wish the experience on anyone. I’m curious to hear others’ stories, my experience is over but it was a long process. Drink water,and avoid them if possible.
Blah114aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 02:34 AM   #2
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I had one once. Thought I was dying.... worst stomach ache I’ve ever felt. Drink up!
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 02:43 AM   #3
Vamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
That’s one of my most feared ailment to ever get! I hear it’s the closest thing to a man giving birth! I remember what my ex wife went thru! It was horrible!
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 02:56 AM   #4
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
That’s one of my most feared ailment to ever get! I hear it’s the closest thing to a man giving birth! I remember what my ex wife went thru! It was horrible!
I know a few women who had them and they said it’s worst than child birth.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 02:59 AM   #5
Vamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Essex View Post
I know a few women who had them and they said it’s worst than child birth.
Yes she was in so much pain! Throwing up literally losing her mind! I felt so bad but there was nothing I could do!
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 03:03 AM   #6
Blah114aa
Banned

I had surgery for mine. 6.8 mm . I had lithrotripsy which is outside the body. They blast the stone but it still must pass .. there are so many misconceptions about kidney stones too.
Old 11 March 2019, 03:30 AM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
In my experience, the pain in your side is worse than the passing itself.

It’s excruciating and inescapable.

Had two while in college. 20 years ago. I hope to the gods above that I don’t get another.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 03:38 AM   #8
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Paul isn't currently active but if he was he'd give you some stories I'm sure. I've had two myself, not fun, but also not the end of the world. In some cases surgery or ultrasound can be necessary, do you have a urologist?
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 03:55 AM   #9
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

I've suffered from them for about 15 years. Worst one by far was the first. I have a high pain tolerance and I was on my hands and knees praying to god for it to stop. Ended up driving myself to the ER at 3am because I seriously thought I was dying....

3 day's later it passed. That was not painful really, actually quite a relief. The 3 days till it did were terrible. Tons of water and cranberry juice.

I still get about one or two a year. As time has gone on, the pain has gotten less and less when passing through the kidneys, which probably says a lot about the hole that's been ripped through them over the years.

As far as avoiding them, its difficult to say. Everyone's body is different. For me, never get dehydrated and avoid soda, beer and basically anything carbonated. I still drink beer every now and then because I like it but if I drink it to often, its trouble.

You can have the stone tested, which I did but it was inconclusive as to the cause so I had to do it through process of elimination.

The good news for you is sometimes you only get one and that's it in a lifetime. Fingers crossed...
srleadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 03:56 AM   #10
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Happened to me for the first time just a couple of weeks ago.

On the Monday I was pi**ing neat blood (no pain though) but that soon got better so I didn’t think too much of it and thought it mention it the next time I saw a GP. Took the day off work to be on the safe side.

On the Weds I started feeling pretty sick at work and got a pain in my side. Tried to ignore it and get through the day but it just got worse, so I left for home. Within an hour I was on the phone to 111 who told me to get to a doctor.

GP sent me to A to E. By this time the pain was intolerable (imagine being kicked in the groin by a Shire Horse - it’s that kind of pain but it never eases off or gets better only constant or worse).

Had to wait about another four hours before I was given some strong pain relief which was just awesome.

The scan showed I had two stones (one 4mm and one 3mm) and they’d put me on a short list for an op within 4 weeks. Haven’t heard back yet but fortunately they haven’t caused me any pain whatsoever.

I figure they cause pain when they move between body parts. In my case from the kidney into the urethra and likely to cause more pain (but hopefully not as bad!) when they travel further onto their way out.

Fortunately I had some good company throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 04:00 AM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah114aa View Post
Whom here has endured kidney stones.... ? I recently did. I wouldn’t wish the experience on anyone. I’m curious to hear others’ stories, my experience is over but it was a long process. Drink water,and avoid them if possible.
surgery at 7 then was fine until my late twenties and had them twice over about 3 years. worst pain ever

changing my diet and drinking lots of water has made them not reoccur since.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 04:00 AM   #12
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srleadjb View Post
I've suffered from them for about 15 years. Worst one by far was the first. I have a high pain tolerance and I was on my hands and knees praying to god for it to stop. Ended up driving myself to the ER at 3am because I seriously thought I was dying....

3 day's later it passed. That was not painful really, actually quite a relief. The 3 days till it did were terrible. Tons of water and cranberry juice.

I still get about one or two a year. As time has gone on, the pain has gotten less and less when passing through the kidneys, which probably says a lot about the hole that's been ripped through them over the years.

As far as avoiding them, its difficult to say. Everyone's body is different. For me, never get dehydrated and avoid soda, beer and basically anything carbonated. I still drink beer every now and then because I like it but if I drink it to often, its trouble.

You can have the stone tested, which I did but it was inconclusive as to the cause so I had to do it through process of elimination.

The good news for you is sometimes you only get one and that's it in a lifetime. Fingers crossed...

Ouch! Would you avoid fizzy water too? I don’t mind drinking water but still water gets a bit boring. I committed to drinking less, more water and less red meat.

Old 11 March 2019, 04:02 AM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
Ouch! Would you avoid fizzy water too? I don’t mind drinking water but still water gets a bit boring. I committed to drinking less, more water and less red meat.

my dr told me no black tea. No idea why, but i cut way back.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 11 March 2019, 04:03 AM   #14
swils8610

Oh yeah they are awful. I’ve had several. The pain is beyond insane. I’ve passed a few, had lithotripsy once and had to have 2 of them let’s say extracted. The stent they leave in you for a week is brutally painful. Feel better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 04:05 AM   #15
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
my dr told me no black tea. No idea why, but i cut way back.

No tea of any kind. It’s full of oxalates which are great for making new stones. Coffee is only 1/6 as bad.

Old 11 March 2019, 04:08 AM   #16
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post

Yes, if I drink too much mineral water or club soda its bad. I think everything is ok in moderation and if you're drinking enough water.

Sometimes I get a strong craving for a diet coke with a hamburger or something. I can have one and then spend the next 8hrs flushing myself with water and I'm usually ok.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know what your body has trouble processing without the process of elimination. I was able to figure out the soda thing because the day I got my first one, I was doing a lot of physical activity, it was hot, I was drinking diet coke and I got dehydrated. It was over time I realized its more about carbonation or maybe the minerals in the carbonation that is the problem for me.
srleadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 04:09 AM   #17
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Yes awful. Wanted to die. Once in the bladder no more pain. Sweating a lot living in a hot humid climate requires a lot more water than I was drinking.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 04:25 AM   #18
68camaro
"TRF" Member

Worst pain ever.....my first was horrible , drove self to hospial and as I was walking into ER stone passed and pain went down 99% right away.

Second one wouldn't go by itself so I need surgery.....I wouldn't wish kidney stones on worst enemy....post surgery was no better, need to bite on thick leather belt to p$ss for several days pain was so bad since I would take pain killers.

Changed diet, drink plenty of water, take one Allopurinol (reduces Uric acid) daily, and keep following pills in briefcase, in car and at home:

ADVIL

FLOMAX (TAMSULOSIN)- 1 DAILY

PAIN MED (HYDROCODON-ACETAMINOPH)1 EVERY 6 HRS MAX

NAUSUA (ONDANSETRON ODT 4MG DISSOLVE 1 UNDER TONGUE, EVERY 4 – 6 HOURS

KIDNEY SPASMISMS (OXYBUTYNIN)- 1 TABLET EVERY 6 – 8 HOURSV
68camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 04:38 AM   #19
achenator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Oh yeah they are awful. I’ve had several. The pain is beyond insane. I’ve passed a few, had lithotripsy once and had to have 2 of them let’s say extracted. The stent they leave in you for a week is brutally painful. Feel better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Going through this now. I went to ER with 9mm stone in kidney blocking the passage out. Mild pain but not too bad. Some infection so they put in stent to keep things flowing. Stent is so uncomfortable, constant pulling and hurts like hell to pee and a few minutes after. Fast forward 5 days I had lithotripsy. They tell me it was very successful but I haven't passed much except for some "sand." Still have stent in and it's as aggravating as ever.
achenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 04:46 AM   #20
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achenator View Post
Going through this now. I went to ER with 9mm stone in kidney blocking the passage out. Mild pain but not too bad. Some infection so they put in stent to keep things flowing. Stent is so uncomfortable, constant pulling and hurts like hell to pee and a few minutes after. Fast forward 5 days I had lithotripsy. They tell me it was very successful but I haven't passed much except for some "sand." Still have stent in and it's as aggravating as ever.

I hope things pick up soon for you.

Old 11 March 2019, 05:41 AM   #21
Blah114aa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
In my experience, the pain in your side is worse than the passing itself.

It’s excruciating and inescapable.

Had two while in college. 20 years ago. I hope to the gods above that I don’t get another.
This is the misconception. I’m paraphrasing my doctor.. The passing IS from kidney to ureter , ureter to bladder, bladder to urethra, then to outside. The passing is mis defined by many , as was by me. When it hurts, the stone IS passing. I used to think it was only through urethra, so, the “passing” from a urologist POV is really defined as “the stone is moving “ or “trying to pass...” the stone actually only causes pain when in movement. A lot of people have stones for years without pain because if a stone gets locked in place, or lodged, it doesn’t hurt. In my case, it was stuck in ureter, or right after. I can’t recall the specific location but it was past ureter, not in bladder. Crazy stuff. Lots of sleepless nights and massive bouts of pain. I asked a nurse that has had stones and she said it was far worse than childbirth in her opinion. But any experience can vary. I also am not old. I mistakenly thought people had stones only in old age. My doctor says most of his patients are 25-35, not young, but not old either. Once the stone is passing, which can take weeks or months, then you can have phantom pains come and go. My ankles hurt one night, then my back .. nurse says that’s what stones do.. cause nerve pain through body. ... I drank 15 glasses of water daily to get rid of the stone after first dr visit and CT,, but ultimately, after six weeks of trying to avoid surgery, had the procedure. I call it “procedure “ because in a lithotripsy, doctors don’t cut you, but you are put under general anesthesia. I hope no one else ever has these. It eventually is something I could handle, pain wise, but it was not fun. I went days with no pain as well, where I was sure I’d passed the stone, only for the pain to return.

Some people form stones monthly, weekly, and pass them weekly. It’s just something to be avoided, if you can avoid them.... drink water. Avoid high oxalate foods... and maybe drink lemon juice with water daily. My doctor stated most websites and amazon have unbelievably inaccurate remedies and information. There are no pills that shatter stones magically, he says (yet amazon sells them).

Also, stones take a week to form in most cases, so if you feel a stone, it’s likely been forming for more than a day. The key is to flush them out before they accumulate mass.. in my case, I’ve not had the debris tested and I’m still not done... I suspect it was calcium supplements and lack of hydration. I never will take calcium again. My doctor treats pro baseball players and has been in his field for 30 years so I trust everything he says. He claims soda doesn’t cause stones.. it makes them worse. Calcium processed via kidneys can cause stones. 1 in 10 Americans experience stones. In Europe, it’s worse, he said. So little is known about why they form. Cranberry juice can cause stones to form too. It depends on the type of stones you have, but juices that prevent one type of stone can actually cause another. ! Not kidding.

The different types of kidney stones include:
Calcium. Calcium stones are the most common. ...
Uric acid. This type of kidney stone is more common in men than in women. ...
Struvite. This type of stone is found mostly in women with urinary tract infections (UTIs). ...
Cystine. Cystine stones are rare.
(Source national kidney foundation site)
Old 11 March 2019, 05:42 AM   #22
Blah114aa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by achenator View Post
I just went through this. PM ME if you’ve questions.
Old 11 March 2019, 05:48 AM   #23
armybuck041
"TRF" Member

Watch: Easy Come, Easy Go
Jezuz.... I'll remember this thread next time i'm having a gout flare up and remind myself it could be worse.
Old 11 March 2019, 06:01 AM   #24
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
^^^You tried Tart Cherry Extract for your Gout? I had it bad very regular then started on the extract 1 cap, 1000mg a day and not had an incident since. Fingers crossed.

We used to see a lot of Kidney Stone problems in Iraq at the CSH with the locals, big tea drinkers traditionally and normally suffering from almost constant dehydration.

Urine sample was always very dark. So first action was always wack in a line and put a few bags through them.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 06:06 AM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Childbirth is well known as one of the most painful experiences that humans can have. However, the pain of having a kidney stone is considered to be comparable. In fact, some people have rated the pain of a kidney stone as being worse than that of childbirth.... according to google

men are notoriously worse with dealing with pain though. Any ladies who have gone through both? what's the verdict?
Old 11 March 2019, 06:09 AM   #26
armybuck041
"TRF" Member

Watch: Easy Come, Easy Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post
^^^You tried Tart Cherry Extract for your Gout? I had it bad very regular then started on the extract 1 cap, 1000mg a day and not had an incident since. Fingers crossed.
I'll give that a whirl. Thanks for the tip.
I used to only get a flare up once a year or even less frequently. Lately it's becoming more common, especially if there has been a night of some "spirited" drinking and salty food. Nothing like a 5 alarm gout flare up in Canada in January. No chance you're getting a winter boot on for over a week :)
Old 11 March 2019, 06:23 AM   #27
emersm

Watch: Rolex
I can relate, for sure.

I had two procedures done last year; one in March and one in December, right before Christmas.

Here is my thread.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=592925
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 06:41 AM   #28
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
You guys are wusses …….. passed this 5 to 6mm bad boy last year. Easy peasy for the first 5 minutes. Then on my hands and knees begging for morphine. All good once than shot kicked in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stone.jpg (191.4 KB, 384 views)

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 06:48 AM   #29
Blah114aa
Banned

My doctor’s record passing without procedures is 12 millimeters. Some one passed a 12mm stone without surgery. I guess the shape matters more than size.
Old 11 March 2019, 06:51 AM   #30
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah114aa View Post
My doctor’s record passing without procedures is 12 millimeters. Some one passed a 12mm stone without surgery. I guess the shape matters more than size.
or the size of the exit point

now people are going to get really sensitive admitting how big of a stone they could successfully pass