The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 18 March 2019, 03:19 AM   #91
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
My family liked it for a holiday last year. We did Oklahoma, Dallas and then SF. Was great, really enjoyed the place and the people.

Try to do a few countries/cities each year with the kids.

Year before was NY/DC and Oklahoma and South Africa

This year is States, Dubai, Hong Kong and New Zealand
Old 18 March 2019, 03:23 AM   #92
timedate
-

Never been there, i had plans for a once in a lifetime trip, but not now,

but if it counts, i do listen to a lot of u.s. talk radio, and its a common thread, from people who do live there and have done for many years, the general overwhelming consensus you hear is one of disgust,

London and other uk towns and cities are not far behind, these i do see daily.

regards.
Old 18 March 2019, 03:40 AM   #93
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post

but if it counts, i do listen to a lot of u.s. talk radio, and its a common thread, from people who do live there and have done for many years, the general overwhelming consensus you hear is one of disgust,

regards.
US talk radio....hahaha.

Now there's a place to get a "fair and balanced" viewpoint.

SF has been a "rogue" kind of place since its inception. Sodom and Gomorrah incarnate to those people who like begging for money on a large scale on TV..

It's liberal bent has been a target for certain people since forever especially those who listen to talk radio.

Personally I can't stand the place. Shit weather, blocks my drive to the airport, no parking, etc etc. But it is what it is, warts and all.

Here's another reason for some to hate it. Video game conventions. Video gaming is now more lucrative than the movie industry, NFL, NBA and NHL combined. Another offshoot of the Silicon Valley.
Old 18 March 2019, 03:42 AM   #94
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

regards.
its pretty obvious there is an agenda in selling that viewpoint. The demographics of the listeners vs the demographics of the place being criticized.

You dont see them railing on the murder rate in missouri. Kind of just gets ignored. Selling us vs them never ends well for anyone

plus its always super easy to be anti anything that is the status quo, because being against something means you don't even need to have a solution to the "problem" you can just rile everyone up and then walk away. People defending it acknowledge it isn't perfect but the problems get pointed out constantly but at least they are trying to fix it. The anti view is just abstract. Then when its time to fix it, the people criticizing fall flat on their face because besides being against it they have nothing else to offer. You for sure see that in the UK. I would rather people have solutions first to go along with wanting to change something.

Homelessness is a problem, so what's the solution then? its not like people are trying on purpose to perpetuate it. You then also have to plan for a snowball effect of any policy because stoping one problem then leads to a multitude of other unintended consequences because one decision affects something else and that affects another thing. Its the what comes after where people stumble.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 18 March 2019, 03:51 AM   #95
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

UK has the same problems. I went with to a place near Blackpool to pick up some parts for one of my Mercedes Cossies. My son and i saw loads more junkies and homelessness there than we did in SF.

Too the point my son was really aware of them "the smack rats". My wife was like there is no way she would walk about there on her own during the day never mind at night.

Felt safer in SF than there to be honest.
Old 18 March 2019, 04:06 AM   #96
timedate
-

yes, we are all living amongst the results of terribly weak governance, be it SF, London or Blackpool.

I went to blackpool a few years ago and had a great time, but dont go on the beach at night time, i wouldnt think it has improved since then.
Old 18 March 2019, 04:16 AM   #97
1675-David
"TRF" Member

spend several months in SF in 2015 and was shocked to see so many homeless living on the street, it reminded me of my time in Bangladesh and defiantly not what I was expecting in the worlds richest country. Fortunately we had a house in Bernal Heights which seemed miles away from the scene down-town
Old 18 March 2019, 04:18 AM   #98
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
yes, we are all living amongst the results of terribly weak governance, be it SF, London or Blackpool.

I went to blackpool a few years ago and had a great time, but dont go on the beach at night time, i wouldnt think it has improved since then.
If you don't mind my asking why are you commenting on American cities that you never been to, with a bunch of right wing rhetoric that you picked up on right wing talk radio. That would be like me commenting on Brexit.

You seem to make a lot of posts taking shots at things you have no knowledge of.

With all due respect perhaps you should shut off your media, get out more and mingle with people. And forget the politics. It ain't healthy. It ain't doing you any favours (spelled the Brit way) and is probably making you unhappy.

There are entities that make a lot of money off of stirring up anger and fear in people with no regard to the greater good. Just money.

I mean this seriously and respectfully.
Old 18 March 2019, 04:29 AM   #99
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
If you don't mind my asking why are you commenting on American cities that you never been to, with a bunch of right wing rhetoric that you picked up on right wing talk radio. That would be like me commenting on Brexit.

You seem to make a lot of posts taking shots at things you have no knowledge of.

With all due respect perhaps you should shut off your media, get out more and mingle with people. And forget the politics. It ain't healthy. It ain't doing you any favours (spelled the Brit way) and is probably making you unhappy.

There are entities that make a lot of money off of stirring up anger and fear in people with no regard to the greater good. Just money.

You’d have about as much of a clue about it as I and 99% of my countrymen do
Old 18 March 2019, 04:30 AM   #100
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

Advertising and merchandising works, whether it's selling a product or an idea. It's easier to believe and repeat what you're told than to actually process any information. It's natural for some, I suppose.
Old 18 March 2019, 04:32 AM   #101
timedate
-

You want to make your mind up blanksy,

in post number 93 you were more or less agreeing with me, now you have decided to go on full attack mode,

You seem unhappy and angry because someone dared to have an opposing view,

i mingle with people all the time, i am always out and about enjoying myself,

feel free to have a view on the joke that the u.k is, you dont have to live here to know that, just listen to u.k talk radio, oh sorry you cant, it all got banned and any right wingers got sacked, but you've always got lbc for your daily dose.

thats me done on the open forum, you will be pleased to know, it aint worth the bother.

Have a good evening.
Old 18 March 2019, 04:39 AM   #102
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Uk isn't a joke! Its a great place, has bad places and wack jobs same as any country in the world.

Live in some of shit holes i have and you will appreciate the UK mate, believe me you will 110%.
Old 18 March 2019, 04:40 AM   #103
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post
Uk isn't a joke! Its a great place, has bad places and wack jobs same as any country in the world.

Live in some of shit holes i have and you will appreciate the UK mate, believe me you will 110%.
London is the best city i have ever lived in, buy a large margin. Problems and all

the problems in London seem more manageable to me than in Houston. Houston, i worry more about getting killed. London, i worry about stepping in vomit on the sidewalk
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 18 March 2019, 04:41 AM   #104
Vamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
I could answer your question with one word, but several head explosions and my potential banning would soon follow. In fifteen more years, the comparison differential will be worse.

Old 18 March 2019, 04:47 AM   #105
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Unforunately, loudly shouting about how shit we are at everything and how crap the country is is a national pastime.

Pity the 90% of the world’s population who have it far worse.
Old 18 March 2019, 04:48 AM   #106
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
London is the best city i have ever lived in, buy a large margin. Problems and all

the problems seem more manageable to me than in Houston. Houston i worry more about getting killed. London i worry about stepping on vomit on the sidewalk
Was based in London for most of the 90's. it was great, loved the place.

Had some great mugging experiences and i mean that sincerely. Made a few quid out of several of them, when the muggers donated the contents of their pockets to me. For the inconvenience of course.
Old 18 March 2019, 04:54 AM   #107
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

the problems in London seem more manageable to me than in Houston. Houston, i worry more about getting killed. London, i worry about stepping in vomit on the sidewalk
I watch a lot of Brit cop stuff on Netfix and Amazon Prime and am amazed at the cops doing their "inquiries" and going into places without a weapon unless they call their SWAT.

Keep thinking are these guys more civilized or crazy.

Anyways never been there yet. Maybe soon.

London or Hawaii..... Hawaii seems to win out.
Old 18 March 2019, 04:58 AM   #108
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I watch a lot of Brit cop stuff on Netfix and Amazon Prime and am amazed at the cops doing their "inquiries" and going into places without a weapon unless they call their SWAT.

Keep thinking are these guys more civilized or crazy.

Anyways never been there yet. Maybe soon.

London or Hawaii..... Hawaii seems to win out.
they are trained in de-escalation far, far better and i don't think that is even a debate.

Ive said it before but i do think there is kind of an unwritten rule. Don't use weapons and its not priority #1. Use a weapon and all hell breaks loose. Criminals know this and play by the rules the vast majority of the time. Different approach but it makes sense.

the only ones who almost always get caught are the weapon criminals so its pretty stupid if your plan is to get away with it.
Old 18 March 2019, 04:58 AM   #109
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post

Unforunately, loudly shouting about how shit we are at everything and how crap the country is is a national pastime.

Pity the 90% of the world’s population who have it far worse.
Yes 100% agree. The UK may have its faults but its a great place to live. Well i think so.

When i was in Iraq we volunteered at the Bin Sina hospital which was the Combat Surgical hospital (Baghdad ER, made a documentary about it). I used to average about 40 hours a week on top of my proper job along with lads in my team.

We clocked up over 2200 hours in a year. You see the kids coming in its heartbreaking.

Thats why i bless my cotton socks my kids are growing up in the UK.
Old 18 March 2019, 05:03 AM   #110
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes 100% agree. The UK may have its faults but its a great place to live. Well i think so.

When i was in Iraq we volunteered at the Bin Sina hospital which was the Combat Surgical hospital (Baghdad ER, made a documentary about it). I used to average about 40 hours a week on top of my proper job along with lads in my team.

We clocked up over 2200 hours in a year. You see the kids coming in its heartbreaking.

Thats why i bless my cotton socks my kids are growing up in the UK.
My wife says the same thing when she has to go to india for work. The amount of poverty is staggering. Even when you are prepared for it, its still shocking. She only sees it from the car as there is also 5 star accommodations that are exceedingly nice. Seeing the divide makes it even worse i think
Old 18 March 2019, 05:08 AM   #111
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
All you have to do is ask, “Who is running the city;” and you will have the answer to your question.
Good point.
Old 18 March 2019, 05:11 AM   #112
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Indeed it is. In Afghan currently and poverty is massive. The rule of law is basically non existent. Which is the base of any society. Hospitals are terribly underfunded. Sanitation is very limited. Junkies are all over the place.

We sponsor and support a kids "sanctuary" here in Kabul, as much as we can and its heart breaking. Basically a safe place that Kids can go to and stay if things on the street or at home become to bad. Provide them with food, Shelter, Medical care and basic human warmth.

Streets should be paved with gold the amount of money thats been pumped into the place.
Old 18 March 2019, 05:24 AM   #113
cowboy45
"TRF" Member

It's been a steady decline for years now. My dad was born and raised there and when I was in high school I went over there from time to time. But now you couldn't pay me to go there. It's a dump. Literally. There are much nicer places to visit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 18 March 2019, 06:03 AM   #114
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy45 View Post
It's been a steady decline for years now. My dad was born and raised there and when I was in high school I went over there from time to time. But now you couldn't pay me to go there. It's a dump. Literally. There are much nicer places to visit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I remember when I moved to LA in the late 80s I loved it. Warm weather, rode my bike from Santa Monica to Redondo Beach every few days. Lots of beautiful women. Fun times.

But I met people who'd been there a while and they'd say. Yeah it ain't bad but you should have seen it in the 70s, much better. Then I'd met people who said, it's shit now you should have seen it in the 60s. That was the time.

Then Candice Bergen in an interview said when I was growing up in LA in the 50s it was the best. Now it sucks.

Then someone said BS. The 60s and 70s was so smoggy you couldn't see your nose in front of your face. The 1940 were the best. Anyway I had fun in the 80s and liked it.

I guess it's all about timing.
Old 18 March 2019, 07:08 AM   #115
tadbart
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
SF has the SF that SF wants, and therefore the SF that SF deserves. The policy-makers and voters there are incapable of truthful introspection, and for the most part, suffer from a cancerous mental illness.

They hide behind the "culture" that California has, and want to be hush-hush about the drug use and despicable filth in their streets.

The worst curse words you can say to one of those urchins is "Personal responsibility and accountability."
Old 18 March 2019, 08:14 AM   #116
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
I have visited SF at least once a year for the last 11 years, usually for around 2 weeks each time.

In my mind it is a small and friendly city, with wonderful restaurants and shopping. I feel safer in SF than London or Paris.

Are there problems?....sure....but they are mostly downtown.
Yup I like to meet my Buddy Clive when hes in town
Old 18 March 2019, 08:26 AM   #117
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadbart View Post
SF has the SF that SF wants, and therefore the SF that SF deserves. The policy-makers and voters there are incapable of truthful introspection, and for the most part, suffer from a cancerous mental illness.

They hide behind the "culture" that California has, and want to be hush-hush about the drug use and despicable filth in their streets.

The worst curse words you can say to one of those urchins is "Personal responsibility and accountability."
Old 18 March 2019, 08:40 AM   #118
Star Ferry
Banned

the worst part about SF is you pay a boatload of money even for old, low quality housing. Pricier than NYC
Old 18 March 2019, 08:54 AM   #119
Goin2drt
Banned

Gavin Newsum. And now he is there Gubnor. The rest of the state will be that way soon.
Old 18 March 2019, 08:58 AM   #120
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I understand that any big city will have significant homeless problems. But in SF they're shooting heroin right in the open. There are garbage piles in some places within the city that look like Staten Island garbage dumps. Tour bus companies have special maps telling them what areas to avoid like the plague because of the horrific optics. Ah, the sanctuary city mentality!
Closed Thread