The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 March 2019, 07:12 AM   #1
lsberrios1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Milgauss GV
Glassutte Original vs. Grand Seiko vs. Zenith

Hey guys,

I am considering adding another watch to my collection. I am considering getting one of these watches (prices are what I could possibly get them for):

* Glashute Original Panoinverse ($6,800)
* Grand Seiko SBGM235 ($5,000)
* Zenith El Primery Defy 21 or Chronomaster Open ($4,800-$7,500)

I like them all about the same for different reasons. I want to get all of them but will have to do with one for now. So here is what I think would steer me towards a particular one:

- Which one will hold its value best? I am in a relatively comfortable position to buy one but I would hate to lose money if I ever needed to sell for some "life event" kind of reason.

Some pics for reference.

Thank you!
Old 16 March 2019, 07:50 AM   #2
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
All of those watches don’t hold their value that well, it’s unfortunate because they are all very cool watches. Of those 4 I’d go for the Zenith Defy or the GO, and it would be a hard choice between the two.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 08:53 AM   #3
lsberrios1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider817 View Post
All of those watches don’t hold their value that well, it’s unfortunate because they are all very cool watches. Of those 4 I’d go for the Zenith Defy or the GO, and it would be a hard choice between the two.
Thank you for your response. I would think that with the MSRP of the GO being $12,600 and the watch being at just under $7k it would have taken most, if not all, of the depreciation hit... but like most things, it is uncertain.

Thanks again. Leaning towards the GO at the moment.
Old 16 March 2019, 09:03 AM   #4
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
I like the looks of that Zenith...
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 09:26 AM   #5
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
The Defy is my vote...and if you can get it for 7500 that’s taken most of the hit.
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 09:28 AM   #6
indexmatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, 116655, 5164
I’d take the GS, I’ve always loved GS and I think that’s a great iteration. I like the zenith a lot as well but the dial looks like it’d be tough to read the time honestly. Post some pics once you decide!
indexmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 01:25 PM   #7
lsberrios1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indexmatch View Post
I’d take the GS, I’ve always loved GS and I think that’s a great iteration. I like the zenith a lot as well but the dial looks like it’d be tough to read the time honestly. Post some pics once you decide!
Here is the cool thing about getting the Grand Seiko. I am planning on going to east Asia (for the first time) later this year and I think that would make a great souvenir as I can buy it from a GS dealer in Japan. It also gives me a bit more time to think about it. Hoping that currency exchange is of help as well. The only issue here would be availability, I would probably call the AD and have it set aside to make sure that it's there when I go.

The Zenith and the GO would be mostly bought online to get better pricing.
Old 16 March 2019, 01:26 PM   #8
lsberrios1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txkill View Post
The Defy is my vote...and if you can get it for 7500 that’s taken most of the hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indexmatch View Post
The Defy definitely has that incredible movement going for it. It seems to be revolutionary in a sense. Have you guys watched this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSmydTlc8e4
Old 16 March 2019, 02:15 PM   #9
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
obviously you are looking for opinions and from a purely aesthetic viewpoint i think the grand seiko looks best. i don't mind the totally skeleton dialed zenith but the partially-skeletonized dials exposing the balances of the other zenith and glashutte look like distracting off-center blobs that one would expect on cheap chinese knock-offs. personally i couldn't look at either of them for long without wanting to flip them for something more visually appealing.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 06:47 PM   #10
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredcohiba View Post
I like the looks of that Zenith...

Good looks but my experience with El Primero is mostly negative. Maybe I'm unlucky.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 07:57 PM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
Here is the cool thing about getting the Grand Seiko. I am planning on going to east Asia (for the first time) later this year and I think that would make a great souvenir as I can buy it from a GS dealer in Japan. It also gives me a bit more time to think about it. Hoping that currency exchange is of help as well. The only issue here would be availability, I would probably call the AD and have it set aside to make sure that it's there when I go.

The Zenith and the GO would be mostly bought online to get better pricing.
Good plan. Probably not necessary to call ahead though, as every city has plenty of fully stocked ADs (who rarely speak much English anyway).
Old 16 March 2019, 09:38 PM   #12
nick c
Banned

I would buy this one.IMG_0971.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 09:54 PM   #13
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the Zenith for a different look but the watch brand that might actually be the best for you would be the Grand Seiko. Inside the Grand Seiko line-up the only watches that hold the line on prices and some even increase significantly are the Limited Editions. Look at last years Grand Seiko's that were releases at Basel and the SS blue dial version is the winner. I do not have the reference in front of me but I believe the number is 387. I should know because I own the watch. The others you listed may have taken the big hit on value but you will still lose significant money should you decide to move them and many of our Trusted Sellers will not touch several of these models. Grand Seiko is surging in both popularity and collector awareness and should be a solid choice if you select the right model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190213_121750 (002).jpg (247.8 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg 20190103_123635 (002).jpg (263.5 KB, 542 views)
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 11:11 PM   #14
lsberrios1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I like the Zenith for a different look but the watch brand that might actually be the best for you would be the Grand Seiko. Inside the Grand Seiko line-up the only watches that hold the line on prices and some even increase significantly are the Limited Editions. Look at last years Grand Seiko's that were releases at Basel and the SS blue dial version is the winner. I do not have the reference in front of me but I believe the number is 387. I should know because I own the watch. The others you listed may have taken the big hit on value but you will still lose significant money should you decide to move them and many of our Trusted Sellers will not touch several of these models. Grand Seiko is surging in both popularity and collector awareness and should be a solid choice if you select the right model.
Gorgeous watch! I have not been able to see a Grand Seiko in person but ,from most I've heard or read, they seem to have an incredible finish and quality feel to them.

How do you you like the spring drive? That is another thing to consider. GS makes both great autos and spring drive mechanisms. I would like to have a model that has an incredible movement displayed as I love taking my watches off and seeing the movements play.

Thanks,
Old 18 March 2019, 02:28 PM   #15
ajw45
"TRF" Member

I tried on that exact GS GMT on Friday. Was just walking by and it caught my eye, the dial is stunning. Dial, movement finish, case, I was really impressed. Never seen the GO but the quality of the finish of that GS blew away the Zenith. You should see the movement, they do some kind of crazy polish on there and it was blinding. I thought it was a trick of the store lighting and but it wasn't, the movement in the JLC I was wearing looked dull by comparison. I would be wearing it now if it wasn't so small, sub 40mm and a narrowish band was just too tiny for me....
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 05:16 AM   #16
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The GS, no brainer for me.

(Value retention ? best don't buy a watch at all apart from some Rolex hot models from an AD)
Old 19 March 2019, 08:22 AM   #17
themast
"TRF" Member

Value retention is probably similar for these timepieces. Looks like you would be buying at a good price, therefore you should be able to limit your losses. These are slow movers so understand that it might be difficult to sell them directly or through a dealer and that you will get a hit anyway.

All this being said, these are very different watches so I think you should go with the one that you like the most. They all have their own merits but I do not think there is an objective metrics for preferring one over the other one.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 09:14 AM   #18
the_natural
"TRF" Member

GS all day long.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 09:16 AM   #19
stratlanta
"TRF" Member

I love Glaschutte and will own one for sure. Also like GS. But I got this recently and just love it. It is so different from everything else I’ve owned and is really captivating in person.

stratlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 09:57 AM   #20
aa909
Banned

I've owned a GO and currently have a Zenith, they are both excellent manufacturers. Of the options you listed I'd go Zenith first, GO then Seiko far far 3rd.
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 11:01 AM   #21
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
I've owned a GO and currently have a Zenith, they are both excellent manufacturers. Of the options you listed I'd go Zenith first, GO then Seiko far far 3rd.
Out of curiosity, how did you do on resale with the GO and which model was it? I understand if you don’t want to elaborate.
Old 19 March 2019, 11:22 AM   #22
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Of the 4 I’d buy the Defy. Definitely not the Chronomaster Open - that used to be on ashford for $3500 and is pretty old.

You’ll likely take a loss on all 4, typical for the brand. Buy right (30%+ discount) and enjoy it, don’t worry about resale.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 12:11 PM   #23
Flintstone
"TRF" Member

is the GO pre=owned, and if so is it out of warranty?
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 12:16 PM   #24
aa909
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Out of curiosity, how did you do on resale with the GO and which model was it? I understand if you don’t want to elaborate.
LOL! happy to answer your question. It was the Glashütte Original Senator Navigator Flyback, I sold it probably 6-7 years ago for $300-$400 less than I paid but I bought it at a nice discount so definitely recommend not paying retail for these pieces. Same goes for Zenith, definitely do not pay retail
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 08:21 PM   #25
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Personally I prefer the GS, but these are all nice pieces
Old 20 March 2019, 02:27 AM   #26
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Wow thats a tough choice.. I like all those ref's, although probably a diff combo on the Zenith's but what a fun dilemma to be in
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:48 AM   #27
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Between the 4 you listed, from a purely aesthetic/emotional perspective, I'd go for the GO or the Zenith Chronomaster Open. For either, I'd be tempted to buy pre-owned, as depreciation is pretty steep.

As for the GS, that particular model doesn't do much for me....MUCH prefer the SBGM221 GMT.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:23 AM   #28
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
LOL! happy to answer your question. It was the Glashütte Original Senator Navigator Flyback, I sold it probably 6-7 years ago for $300-$400 less than I paid but I bought it at a nice discount so definitely recommend not paying retail for these pieces. Same goes for Zenith, definitely do not pay retail
Thanks for sharing. Looks like you did pretty well for a non Rolex timepiece!
Old 25 March 2019, 02:37 PM   #29
eric1994
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Patek
Grand Seiko for sure...!
watch owned: 116500LN Black and White, White Dial SS Sky-Dweller, Green sub, Black Sub, Sub Bluesy, Gmt Batman, Sea-Dweller 50th anniversary, Patek 5711 White dial, Sea-gull 1963, AP RO Offshore Navy, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Vacheron Overseas Chrono black dial, and few Frederique Constant.
eric1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:02 AM   #30
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I like the Zenith El Primero 2. I like GO and at one point owned 3. I am down to the Senator Observer now.. I like skeletons and probably why I would go with that Zenith. I have seen in person and really think it looks better than the photos
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote