The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 24 March 2019, 03:24 PM   #1
Moweis
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: PP 5711
Why more people Dont Pledge???!!!

Hello fellow TRF members,

I want to start by saying this forum is amazing and an absolute great getaway from day to day life. Although I don’t post much I’ve been on here a long time and I’m on almost daily. My question is why do a lot of people not pay the pledge membership? I’m not trying to shame anyone or get into any arguments everyone is entitled to do what they please. But I’m curious as to why? I notice a lot of people who have many many posts but yet don’t pay the $28 or more to pledge. And I know it can’t be the price because it’s extremely undervalued for the work that goes into this place and the amount of knowledge and lasting friendships on TRF. What amazes me the most is I see people who have multiple precious metal Rolex’s and even quite a bit who are on the Patek forum showing beautiful 6 figure timepieces who don’t pledge. I wonder is it laziness? Is it an issue with PayPal? Or is it the issue of the $28? I could understand some people never doing the giveaways or not catching it not wanting it etc. But I just can’t figure out why anyone who has many posts and is on here often as I am won’t help keep a wonderful place going for $28 a year. Sorry for the Rant, I hope I haven’t offended anyone and also I’m not part of the Mods nor am I being told to say this. This is just my opinion and my curiosity of understanding how people think I guess.
Old 24 March 2019, 03:25 PM   #2
FTX I
"TRF" Member

It's a personal choice.

ps. but I have to say I agree.
Old 24 March 2019, 03:36 PM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You know the answer
Old 24 March 2019, 03:56 PM   #4
Andad

Watch: A few.
Hi Mohammad,

The information and technical help available on TRF relating to dozens of watch brand names far surpasses a $28 pledge.

Based on the huge number of pictures posted in the for sale section (a part of TRF that adds no dollars to the running of the Forum) should pledge member sellers pay an extra premium for this service?

Have a look at the first 100 threads on any given day and check the percentage of sales threads to general threads.

Could it be that non pledge ‘members’ have no idea of the costs involved with running a forum with >220000 ‘members’?

Should we just have visitors (or lurkers as they sometimes call themselves) who can access TRF and can view the threads including the sales sections and pledge members who can reply to threads and access the technical and sales areas?

Is there way to increase pledge membership so that TRF can continue to grow?

Old 24 March 2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Moweis

Watch: PP 5711
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Hi Mohammad,

The information and technical help available on TRF relating to dozens of watch brand names far surpasses a $28 pledge.

Based on the huge number of pictures posted in the for sale section (a part of TRF that adds no dollars to the running of the Forum) should pledge member sellers pay an extra premium for this service?

Have a look at the first 100 threads on any given day and check the percentage of sales threads to general threads.

Could it be that non pledge ‘members’ have no idea of the costs involved with running a forum with >220000 ‘members’?

Should we just have visitors (or lurkers as they sometimes call themselves) who can access TRF and can view the threads including the sales sections and pledge members who can reply to threads and access the technical and sales areas?

Is there way to increase pledge membership so that TRF can continue to grow?

Thank you Edward for your detailed ideas, honestly I have to agree with most of what you said. Perhaps the best way to go about it in my opinion so that our for sale section doesn’t turn into an eBay situation lol. Is to maybe have a flat like $100 fee a year for anyone one who wants to sell anything on trf. I also think maybe there should be a post limit for non pledge members and a way that they cannot Pm anyone who has something for sale without being a member. Again just my opinion, possibly not my place to speak but would hate to see an amazing place like this that’s growing rapidly run into any financial issues which could be solved for a fraction of value if everyone contributed.
Old 24 March 2019, 04:53 PM   #6
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...&postcount=745

I got his reply, I chose not to jump through the hoops. I know what I've done. My transactionID 9cd4380115886054k. If you want to do the legwork, be my guest, Mohammad.
Old 24 March 2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Brew
"TRF" Member

I guess some folks don't perceive any additional value in making a pledge. I ponied up to see what else was available to members, and to see if I wanted to participate in the watch raffles. I'm not sure I will next year.

I suspect that insofar as TRF likely owns everything posted here, just by being a participating member, TRF benefits from having your data regardless of pledging (or not).
Old 24 March 2019, 05:18 PM   #8
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
I was a member a for a little time, maybe a month or so before i pledged.

Couple of reasons:
1, To see if i liked the Forum.
2, I had to sort my Paypal stuff out, the main reason for delay.

I will for sure renew next year, great advice and tech details. i have learned so much in the short time i have been a member. Not just about Rolex, but also Tudor, Omega etc.

Only trouble it has lit a bit of a fire in regards buying more watches. Where before i just bought a watch because i needed (ok maybe wanted) a watch.
Old 24 March 2019, 08:50 PM   #9
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Pledging is totally voluntary. Keeping it that way encourages participation. Some people will never donate a penny for anything they can have for free, but everyone knows that's the way life works.

Eddie has a point about the FS section though. It started out as a convenience, and has become free ad space for a lot of sellers. Maybe an app can be set up to to require a payment for each FS thread, and another payment for each bump of the thread. The more you sell, the more you pay. It would need to be automatic because the number of threads and bumps would be a staggering amount of work for Steve to keep up with.
Old 24 March 2019, 09:05 PM   #10
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Hi Mohammad

Before I give my view please let me say - This Forum is one of the best, with a friendly, active and knowledgeable group of people.

I am a member of several Forums and don’t/won’t pay to be included in any of them. It is certainly not the amount of money, but more that I don’t feel the need to pay towards a forum (and I don’t buy/sell or want any of the extra benefits of being a pledge member here)
Forums, to me are for the benefit of all the contributors and if the owner wants or needs to make a profit will try to encourage a payment or perhaps include advertising – which is their prerogative, as is setting the rules.

Forums are often run by enthusiasts as an interest and hobby. I don’t know the cost of running TRF or any other forum, but would guess that once the Forum software is purchased (which does not appear dear), the main cost will be hosting it – which is also not expensive. Furthermore, the bigger the forum becomes the more it is worth.
Old 24 March 2019, 09:15 PM   #11
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I was fortunate to win Eliot’s pledge five away :). Thank you Eliot!!!
Old 24 March 2019, 10:27 PM   #12
Slippy Chips
"TRF" Member

I forgot. I will get on it. At $28/year this forum has been a bargain. I do try and time it with the watch give-always but then I usually don’t ever check out the top few threads at to top to know when it’s available
Old 24 March 2019, 10:30 PM   #13
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
When things are voluntary not everyone participates. I do because I like to give back and the forum has given me so much knowledge.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 24 March 2019, 10:45 PM   #14
THC

Watch: 16610M
Every member that gets one iota of info off this forum, should be proud to pledge.
Old 24 March 2019, 10:54 PM   #15
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think that a lot of people will not pay for something that they can get for free. Even with the member benefits many will still not join. I try not judge others but I will on this. I see it as a reflection as to who you are. Take that anyway you should choose. Thanks to TRF for being there and letting me participate.
Old 24 March 2019, 11:21 PM   #16
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moweis View Post
Hello fellow TRF members,

I want to start by saying this forum is amazing and an absolute great getaway from day to day life. Although I don’t post much I’ve been on here a long time and I’m on almost daily. My question is why do a lot of people not pay the pledge membership? I’m not trying to shame anyone or get into any arguments everyone is entitled to do what they please. But I’m curious as to why? I notice a lot of people who have many many posts but yet don’t pay the $28 or more to pledge. And I know it can’t be the price because it’s extremely undervalued for the work that goes into this place and the amount of knowledge and lasting friendships on TRF. What amazes me the most is I see people who have multiple precious metal Rolex’s and even quite a bit who are on the Patek forum showing beautiful 6 figure timepieces who don’t pledge. I wonder is it laziness? Is it an issue with PayPal? Or is it the issue of the $28? I could understand some people never doing the giveaways or not catching it not wanting it etc. But I just can’t figure out why anyone who has many posts and is on here often as I am won’t help keep a wonderful place going for $28 a year. Sorry for the Rant, I hope I haven’t offended anyone and also I’m not part of the Mods nor am I being told to say this. This is just my opinion and my curiosity of understanding how people think I guess.
OP, if you feel $28 is undervalued for the work that goes on behind the scenes, don't just rant, donate more!
Old 24 March 2019, 11:26 PM   #17
Vamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
Yes it blows my mind also! When I see people with over 3000 posts buying Pateks not only for themselves but others, yet couldn’t anti up a measly 30 bucks “themselves”
Old 24 March 2019, 11:26 PM   #18
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
When things are voluntary not everyone participates. I do because I like to give back and the forum has given me so much knowledge.
agree completely
Old 24 March 2019, 11:30 PM   #19
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Pledging is voluntary and should remain so as long as the board isn’t in financial trouble. If it were behind a paywall I suspect many current pledge members wouldn’t even be here in the first place. This model allows for a very large, diverse user base. That user base in turn creates value with increased content and utility, which leads to more loyalty, a feeling of community, and pledge members.

I pledge because I have learned more from this board than any other forum. I find it to be exceedingly well run, and very easy to navigate. If someone doesn’t want to pledge, that’s fine and I don’t judge them at all. Steve doesn’t exactly run a regular pledge drive. I suspect most non-pledgers aren’t aware that they couldn’t pledge, or that their pledge lapsed.
Old 24 March 2019, 11:47 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

the richer you are the cheaper you are as a general rule... IE if you can get it for free you do

i guess thats why they are so rich
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 24 March 2019, 11:51 PM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Keep in mind the big sellers already pay more by donating towards the giveaway watches. Whether or not this is the optimal way to raise funds for the forum I have no idea. That’s Steve’s business.
Old 24 March 2019, 11:52 PM   #22
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
the richer you are the cheaper you are as a general rule... IE if you can get it for free you do

i guess thats why they are so rich
A buddy owned a sandwich shop in Orlando. You should hear his stories of how Orlando Magic players would ask for a free sandwich if they would sign a cup and leave it.
Old 24 March 2019, 11:54 PM   #23
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

From an end user perspective and assuming one doesn’t participate in buying and selling, this forum doesn’t offer anything that other hobby enthusiast forums - which don’t have any subscriptions - don’t offer.

It’s worth noting that the ambience and knowledge of the forum is enhanced by both pledge and non-pledge members alike, so I’m slightly uncomfortable with a thread like this which appears to - however inadvertantly - guilt people into making a particular choice.
Old 25 March 2019, 12:03 AM   #24
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
A buddy owned a sandwich shop in Orlando. You should hear his stories of how Orlando Magic players would ask for a free sandwich if they would sign a cup and leave it.

Go down to the financial district London, NY or whenever with all the rich bankers in front of the coffee shop and they have their free coffee punch cards all out and ready to go. Even when they pulled down 7 figures last year. They want that free espresso
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 25 March 2019, 12:14 AM   #25
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Go down to the financial district London, NY or whenever with all the rich bankers in front of the coffee shop and they have their free coffee punch cards all out and ready to go. Even when they pulled down 7 figures last year. They want that free espresso
I don’t like being around people like that. Cheap and petty. I have witnessed the same at Watch GTG’s. A friend used to hold big gtgs in Tampa. The stories he told of how cheap some members were to deal with. All the while owning huge watch collections. I hear G has had problems at the Vegas one being stiffed by rich members.
Old 25 March 2019, 12:17 AM   #26
Thug
"TRF" Member

Using a punch card that was the store’s idea to get a free drink every x amount of purchases is considered cheap?

Lol

It’s a psychological move by the store management to get repeat customers
Old 25 March 2019, 12:19 AM   #27
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
Using a punch card that was the store’s idea to get a free drink every x amount of purchases is considered cheap?

Lol
To me it is. I wouldn’t be bothered.
Old 25 March 2019, 12:21 AM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don’t like being around people like that. Cheap and petty. I have witnessed the same at Watch GTG’s. A friend used to hold big gtgs in Tampa. The stories he told of how cheap some members were to deal with. All the while owning huge watch collections. I hear G has had problems at the Vegas one being stiffed by rich members.
The wealthiest guy at my wedding who was family gave me 100 bucks for two people. Food alone was a few hundred per

There’s a difference between being financially savvy and a cheap shit.
Old 25 March 2019, 12:24 AM   #29
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
To me it is. I wouldn’t be bothered.
This is interesting. If you could afford it, would you insist on paying MSRP for a watch even if the dealer offered a discount?
Old 25 March 2019, 12:28 AM   #30
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
From an end user perspective and assuming one doesn’t participate in buying and selling, this forum doesn’t offer anything that other hobby enthusiast forums - which don’t have any subscriptions - don’t offer.

It’s worth noting that the ambience and knowledge of the forum is enhanced by both pledge and non-pledge members alike, so I’m slightly uncomfortable with a thread like this which appears to - however inadvertantly - guilt people into making a particular choice.
That's why these threads usually get locked and something tells me it will happen soon, but I don't understand why long time members don't pledge. What you say is true for that guy that comes here to find out the difference between quartz and automatic and then disappears, but for those that almost live here posting everyday for years and years I really don't understand.
Closed Thread