The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2020, 08:02 PM   #1
charlie.chen
"TRF" Member

My op39mm stopped working after I tried to rescue another watch

Hi everyone. My wife bought an oyster perpetual 39mm for me as my 30th birthday present. This is my first mechanical watch and within two weeks of wearing it, it stopped working.

So I was handling my other Tissot quartz while wearing the OP39 on my wrist. During that process, I almost dropped my Tissot quartz onto my desk while I was standing. I somehow managed to catch my Tissot watch. After this intense catch, the OP39 had stopped running!

I have no idea how I managed to break the watch as I didn't drop it, I am pretty sure I didn't hit it against the desk either. I know it is a mechanical watch so I have been treating it like a baby. But at the same time, shouldn't Rolex be one of the most robust mechanical watch brand out there? According to their website each watch is dropped at least 20 times before it is released from the factory. How come it can't even stand a single albeit dramatic swing?

Has anyone ever experience this before? I would really appreciate any advice on this.
I can't go to the AD right now as I am in New Zealand and the whole nation is in lockdown due to coronavirus.

Please stay safe everyone.
charlie.chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 08:15 PM   #2
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
Very simple question, have you tried winding it? Unscrew the crown and wind it 40 full revolutions, don't worry you can't overwind it, and see if that starts it up.
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 08:18 PM   #3
charlie.chen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the brush View Post
Very simple question, have you tried winding it? Unscrew the crown and wind it 40 full revolutions, don't worry you can't overwind it, and see if that starts it up.
Thanks for your reply. Yes indeed I have tried winding it but it doesn't work. And also when I wind it I can hear a sound as if there's sandpaper rubbing against a hard surface inside.
charlie.chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 08:22 PM   #4
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Agree. Try winding it and see if it starts up. Let us know if that resolved the issue. Even if it's an automatic watch and you're wearing it for 2 weeks, unless you're very active the reserve will slowly deplete. Don't forget whether you wear it or not at night your wrist isn't moving much and it's depleting the reserve for the 4+ hours you sleep or in a case. Many suggest to fully wind once a week (40 Full crown rotations).
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote