The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 June 2019, 06:03 AM   #61
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
Good idea! I usually give a bottle of wine or a nice gift card to their favorite restaurant.
I think its just a nice way of saying thank you and to show appreciation.
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 06:29 AM   #62
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
I guess it’s a cultural thing.

In Australia it’s usually the supplier that gives the customer a small gift of appreciation for the business, not the other way around.

We don’t tip for delivery guy, bellboys, taxi drivers, even waiters at restaurants more often than not. Yes I know what Americans think of Australians when it comes to tipping

So turning up to an AD with a gift, ie. a bottle of Moët would feel somewhat awkward to most.

Not that I’m averse to the gesture of thanking someone with a small token, but as it’s outside the cultural norm for a retail transaction it would feel a little uncomfortable.

Just my 2c.
Old 25 June 2019, 06:31 AM   #63
Coolex
Banned

If you want to do something nice, professional and that most AD's and others would not "cringe" at, then send them a thank you card.

Simply find the address and store manager of the AD to address it to, and send it via snail mail. Write that you appreciate the service they did for you and that the sales rep who helped you out was top notch.

The sales rep will appreciate the good word to the manger, and everyone will view it as a cordial professional business practice.

Don't give them a gift, let alone in person the day of pick up.
Coolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 06:35 AM   #64
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolex View Post
If you want to do something nice, professional and that most AD's and others would not "cringe" at, then send them a thank you card.

Simply find the address and store manager of the AD to address it to, and send it via snail mail. Write that you appreciate the service they did for you and that the sales rep who helped you out was top notch.

The sales rep will appreciate the good word to the manger, and everyone will view it as a cordial professional business practice.

Don't give them a gift, let alone in person the day of pick up.
Excellent !
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 06:39 AM   #65
greengold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Cristo View Post

In Australia it’s usually the supplier that gives the customer a small gift of appreciation for the business, not the other way around.

We don’t tip for delivery guy, bellboys, taxi drivers, even waiters at restaurants more often than not. Yes I know what Americans think of Australians when it comes to tipping

So turning up to an AD with a gift, ie. a bottle of Moët would feel somewhat awkward to most.

Not that I’m averse to the gesture of thanking someone with a small token, but as it’s outside the cultural norm for a retail transaction it would feel a little uncomfortable.

Just my 2c.
You carry on mate..meanwhile I gave my AD a big box of Dunkin Doughnuts after they got my Hulk..few months later got the call for D-blue
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 06:40 AM   #66
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynorth View Post
I like to massage my AD's feet and put cucumbers under his eyes as I play Kenny G from my iPhone. Some of you guys are weird.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 06:46 AM   #67
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just my 2c.
Old 25 June 2019, 06:51 AM   #68
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengold View Post
You carry on mate..meanwhile I gave my AD a big box of Dunkin Doughnuts after they got my Hulk..few months later got the call for D-blue
Yeah cause the AD was waiting for a big shot like you to turn up with a box of donuts

Next time you want to contribute, try the joke section.
Old 25 June 2019, 06:57 AM   #69
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
I've sent a case of wine before after getting my BLNR a few years ago and will do so again in about 3 months when my 116619LB comes in. Both were sold to me with very nice discounts and it's the least I can do to say thank you for honoring prices discussed years before.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 07:24 AM   #70
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Thanks to everyone for their contribution to the thread, most interesting indeed.
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 09:37 AM   #71
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I have literally pissed in my pants reading this thread.
Thanks.
Old 25 June 2019, 09:47 AM   #72
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:

Thanks for your Australian perspective, This: "So turning up to an AD with a gift, ie. a bottle of Moët would feel somewhat awkward to most." is a wonderful understatement.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 09:57 AM   #73
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
My AD invokes “prima nocte” upon any SS purchase and I have to hand over my wife and collect her the next day.

He prefers that in lieu of a fine champagne...
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 10:00 AM   #74
Explorer2Guy
Banned

I kept visiting my AD looking for any stainless steel.

I have him my cell and got a text with this link and a message; we just got an Explorer 2 for the first person who shows up with a bottle of this;

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/sc...5-yr/p/5364750

Luckily I had 3 at home and he was gracious to only want one.

Anything less than that and you’ll likely never get another call from that AD again.
Explorer2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 10:30 AM   #75
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

I am a generous tipper. Generally 25-30% minimum.
This thread is asinine.
God bless those of you that feel possessed to thank someone for offering you a product where no tip is expected.
You are all much better than me.
Sleep well knowing that. Again, God Bless.
Thanks for the entertainment.
Old 25 June 2019, 10:32 AM   #76
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I am a generous tipper. Generally 25-30% minimum.
This thread is asinine.
God bless those of you that feel possessed to thank someone for offering you a product where no tip is expected.
You are all much better than me.
Sleep well knowing that. Again, God Bless.
Thanks for the entertainment.
Sigh. 🤦*♂️

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 10:35 AM   #77
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Of course. And because we are so much better than they are at being human, they should be groveling and thanking us profusely. I mean, we won we have the money to buy their goods. We are superior.

I honestly find it distasteful to even have to speak with them. I would prefer it if I could just send them an email with my demands.

I mean, who are these “people” that work at AD’s. Ha. People. That’s a laugh. Who do they think they are, and why would we lower ourselves by showing them a level or appreciation and respect.

Jeeze. The people that actually show a bit of gratitude are making us all look bad. And it needs to stop.

I find threads like these to be very useful. It gives great insight as to who is a "what"...if you catch my drift
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 10:40 AM   #78
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sigh. ��*♂️
To clarify, I tipped a friend who manages a large chain that has a Rolex AD $500.
That’s because he got me BLRO at retail and I consider him a friend.
So yes, I have done it, but not on a regular basis to an AD.
The AD’s I deal with are not worth it.
Recently, offered to buy my DD40 Everose at MSRP, as a package for an demand reference.
Never heard back from them, in spite of all the purchases I made in the past.
Never heard back from them, in spite of over $75,000 in purchase from them.
Am I to assume a bottle of champagne would have made the difference?
If so.......f...them.
Old 25 June 2019, 10:46 AM   #79
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
To clarify, I tipped a friend who manages a large chain that has a Rolex AD $500.
That’s because he got me BLRO at retail and I consider him a friend.
So yes, I have done it, but not on a regular basis to an AD.
The AD’s I deal with are not worth it.
Recently, offered to buy my DD40 Everose at MSRP, as a package for an demand reference.
Never heard back from them, in spite of all the purchases I made in the past.
Never heard back from them, in spite of over $75,000 in purchase from them.
Am I to assume a bottle of champagne would have made the difference?
If so.......f...them.
Sleep well. God bless.

Old 25 June 2019, 10:48 AM   #80
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sleep well. God bless.
Will do, got it grey, for $6k below MSRP.
Yup, sleeping well and drank the champagne at home.
Old 25 June 2019, 10:49 AM   #81
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisoul View Post
Looking for any opinions on if it’s good practice to hand in a bottle of bubbly to my AD for getting me my Explorer 214270. I put my name down 2 months ago and they turned one up for me on Thursday past, which here in the UK is extremely quick. I also asked the guy I was dealing with if he could get me a couple of Rolex spring bars for my 14060M, they phoned today to say they had those for me too....so when I go in tomorrow I was gonna hand in a bottle of bubbly to the guy I was dealing with, he’s been brilliant.....good idea or not?

It’s a simple gesture of appreciation. If the AD’s policy allows them to accept it, sure.

AOW
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 11:02 AM   #82
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

I find threads like these to be very useful. It gives great insight as to who is a "what"...if you catch my drift
I’m picking up what you are laying down.

Old 25 June 2019, 11:04 AM   #83
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
The service surpassed your expectations and if you feel you should show your appreciation by a small gesture, then do so.

A hand written card, or a reference to a friend goes a long way.

Many of these responses are disappointing. ADs, for the most part, go out of their way to make the retail experience special. Why not show a little gratitude the other way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 11:08 AM   #84
M45
Banned

I reward good service with repeat business.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 11:16 AM   #85
PatronMTL
"TRF" Member

I think it’s a good idea if you think you’ll be wanting more watches in future. Those who say it should be other way around are living in the past where SS were easier to get and discounts galore

New world, new strategy. I regret not doing it back when I got my blnr in 2017. I was new to Rolex and didn’t realize how lucky I was to get it
Old 25 June 2019, 02:39 PM   #86
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
I reward good service with repeat business.
Thats what I say ! Its a two way street of respect.

You mean ,no dunkin donuts or a bottle of dom perignon ? How ungracious !! ..
Old 25 June 2019, 03:14 PM   #87
jamesreid978
"TRF" Member

The last few times I have bought from my AD (Rolex and Jewelry), they have gifted me a bottle of champagne to take away with my purchases. I feel it would be VERY awkward/weird if it was the other way around. If the OP feels this wouldn't be the case, then by all means - go for it, but for me it is the wrong way round.
jamesreid978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 05:26 PM   #88
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
I gift my AD (I only use 1 AD) now and again. I don't go especially to gift, if I'm there picking up a watch and say its Xmas, I'll bring a bottle of wine of something. If i've just come back from travel, maybe some local snacks from the destination I visited. I don't especially shop for them, just grab something from the huge pile we always bring back.

Ultimately, it's the thought that counts.

I agree with many that you have already spent your money and they shop have earned their profit out of you, so gifting is not required. But I like to also show appreciation for them keeping me in mind for the watches (usually hot) that I can get way before the majority on here. And more importantly, the Rolex hospitality tickets at major Rolex sponsored events .
Old 25 June 2019, 05:28 PM   #89
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Nice gesture. I'd guess that if you did do it, you'd be the first of his customers to do so.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 06:43 PM   #90
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Selling New watches is a business & that's the business Ads are in ,end of .When was the last time anyone purchased any item & went to the store with gifts for the manager/salesperson.Maybe its just my thought process , but without customers no business survives .Don't get me wrong if I was after a particular hard to find Rolex ,& my AD came up trumps I would be very grateful & let them know it . But I wouldn't feel the need to offer small gifts to them,& may be there are some subtle cultural differences in some countries that are hard to explain in words. So it doesn't matter where your from in the world , if it feels right for you to do this then go for it .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote