The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 June 2019, 08:23 AM   #1
grimlock525
"TRF" Member

Any Tudor GMT Owners?

I'm starting a new job that is going to require me to travel once every couple months for up to a week at a time. I put my name on the wait list for a Sky Dweller at my AD this weekend but I'm not holding my breath on getting it any time soon. I'm also one of the few people on this forum that isn't crazy about the GMT II aesthetically. For some reason, the oversized numbers on the bezel just don't seem to go with the rest of the watch.

In any case, I started looking into Tudor and saw they released this Black Bay GMT last year. I read through a few reviews of this watch and they generally seemed favorable. I like that it uses an in-house movement and it has the jumping hour hand feature. I also like the aesthetics, not to mention the price & availability.

If you own one of these and have worn it regularly, what do you like or dislike about the watch? Any insight would be appreciated.
grimlock525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 08:35 AM   #2
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I love everything about it. I travel extensively for work over long periods of time and the GMT is my daily wear on these trips. It usually is on a NATO, but these look killer on anything: leather strap, NATO, or bracelet. I love the smaller markers that harken to older five digits, I love the aluminum bezel and the guard-less crown. Speaking of the bezel, I love that it’s a 48 click than the 24 click of the Rolex, which allows me to offset correctly when in one of those weird 30 minute offset timezones (which I do run into). It’s rugged, can take a beating, and brings a smile to my face every time I look at it.

A downside is it is chunky. At 14mm or so in thickness, it isn’t as slim as the GMT II. I don’t mind too much, as it’s really more of a tool watch for the field than a board room.

I recommend it. And I think you’ll be really happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 10:00 AM   #3
Pbender
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Yep, I love mine and it’s my go to travel watch. I bought it on the bracelet but now have it on the Tudor Nato most of the time. This band is expensive but I think it’s worth it.
As the previous post says, it is chunky, but I only notice that when I put it alongside a 16710. Overall I find it really comfortable and an overall fun pleasure to wear.
To me it looks great and when the light hits it at certain angles the silver details just leap out at you...and finally, the bezel is awesome.
I’ve never had any of the date change issues that others have spoken about.
I hope this helps and if you decide to pull the trigger that you’re able to find one. The AD I bought mine from at Melbourne Airport (in Aus) said there’s now a 12 month wait.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 10:10 AM   #4
M45
Banned

I can tell you as somebody who flies several times a month, you don’t need a GMT, but it’s nice to be able to click the time between zones without stopping the watch. With that said, I wear a sub no date when I fly.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 11:54 AM   #5
BamaBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 43
I have had mine for three months. I wear it on a leather strap. It fits my 7.25 inch wrist very well. And I get lots of compliments on it in a town with no Rolex/Tudor dealer in the area.
BamaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 12:19 PM   #6
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Totally love mine. Works great on bracelet, leather, rubber, nato, you name it. Rugged watch that is more tool than bling. Has better water resistance than the Rolex. The 41mm diameter with 22mm bracelet is a great size with nice wrist presence without overwhelming the wrist. Love the subtle red/blue aluminum bezel much better than the blingy ceramic with gigantic numbers on the Rolex. I personally have zero complaints about it, however if you have a smaller than average wrist you may think it wears large. Some complain about the thickness, but I actually enjoy it - adds to the tooly vibe. For the price it may be the best value in the market of any Swiss watch. Love it....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 12:40 PM   #7
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I just picked mine up again late last week and just love this piece. The colors are great, the watch feels solid as a rock on the wrist, and it just looks cool.

My favorite aspect of this watch is how it looks in low-light conditions. It just comes alive. The blue and red have a richness and warmth that is so inviting. I only have an iPhone, so I can’t take a picture that does it justice in the light I’m currently looking at it in.

I would highly recommend picking one up.

SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 12:42 PM   #8
nolaclarky
"TRF" Member

Whey they offer it in the smaller Black Bay 58 size, I am a buyer.
nolaclarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 01:30 PM   #9
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
This beauty continues to impress me. As others have said it looks great on everything. I prefer BC rubber, although I'd like to snag some end links and use my THC bracelet as an option.

The crown feel when winding & setting is the smoothest I've ever experienced. The accuracy is nothing short of perfect. My initial impression of the bezel colors was pretty negative. That's completely changed and have come to love the muted subtle colors that imply confidence without the need to advertise.

The Tudor GMT does wear big for it's size but it's perfect for me at 6'4". Thickness has never been an issue.

The bottom line is the amazing value this watch brings to the table. It ticks lots of vintage boxes coupled with modern construction from a brand that continues to brake new ground.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IBHnFWecQ9KZoRl+g5Q5Mg_thumb_1165b.jpg (190.3 KB, 979 views)
File Type: jpg W98M7noiSlCHf0Hou5OBcw_thumb_11665.jpg (178.6 KB, 974 views)
File Type: jpg pL5rU8LiRaCysAoRrgGUpQ_thumb_1166e.jpg (247.3 KB, 974 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 01:37 PM   #10
M45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
This beauty continues to impress me. As others have said it looks great on everything. I prefer BC rubber, although I'd like to snag some end links and use my THC bracelet as an option.

The crown feel when winding & setting is the smoothest I've ever experienced. The accuracy is nothing short of perfect. My initial impression of the bezel colors was pretty negative. That's completely changed and have come to love the muted subtle colors that imply confidence without the need to advertise.

The Tudor GMT does wear big for it's size but it's perfect for me at 6'4". Thickness has never been an issue.

The bottom line is the amazing value this watch brings to the table. It ticks lots of vintage boxes coupled with modern construction from a brand that continues to brake new ground.
dP
Damn that’s nice.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 03:03 PM   #11
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
It's next on the list for me. I was going to get one earlier; I was trying to get it before I went on a trip, but since I couldn't find one in time, I got distracted and bought an Omega Seamaster 300 in the meantime. But the Black Bay GMT is gorgeous to me, and a bit more proper Rolex GMT than the Rolex GMT, with its shiny jubliee bracelet as ~$20,000ish price tag to actually get your hands on one. I love the Black Bay GMT.

Old 25 June 2019, 09:13 PM   #12
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
Damn that’s nice.
Thanks!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 26 June 2019, 02:54 AM   #13
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
I have had one for about 8 months and think the build is superb. The only downside I can see is that it is slightly on the thick side. But not a dealbreaker.
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 02:55 AM   #14
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
I have had mine for six month...fabulous watch.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 03:02 AM   #15
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
I been wearing my GMT ceramic for the last 6 years. Its been the most trusted companion on all my international trips. I set the GMT hand to home time and its easy to know when I Need to get ready to face time my kids when I am traveling. You will love the Tudor GMT, good luck with your purchase.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 03:21 AM   #16
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
My brother owns it and has been enjoying it.. hes put on a different strap since but haven't heard any complaints yet
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 03:31 AM   #17
ctfxd3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
I picked one up a few months ago and have a hard time taking it off, definitely gets the most wrist time out of my collection.
ctfxd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 03:47 AM   #18
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Decided to change things up a bit with a BC 328 rubber nato. Haven't seen a bad combo with the Tudor GMT yet.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obW4erQIRDytsPiK0ZqjYw_thumb_11641.jpg (125.9 KB, 809 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 26 June 2019, 12:22 PM   #19
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

Bought one early on when first released. Ended up letting it go due to it being a bit too thick for my liking.

If you’re ok with the size, it’s an awesome watch. I would just recommend trying it on first.
srleadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 12:31 PM   #20
mschafer
"TRF" Member

It’s a beautiful piece which needs to be tried on your wrist. The rather large crown without guards and color make it stand out. So I’d say it’s definitely a bit more casual. If you’re looking for a sky dweller this could be a nice tie over...personally I would prefer a Rolex GMT to collect, or for current technology an Exp II...
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 08:18 AM   #21
grimlock525
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much to everyone for your responses and insight. I’m happy to say that I put in the order for my Tudor BB GMT today at my AD and they seem optimistic they can get it for me in 3-4 months. Not ideal but better than the 12 months that was mentioned by someone above. They also said no discount since it’s a high demand watch, I guess that’s normal these days? Now to play the waiting game
grimlock525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 08:24 AM   #22
climblaw25
"TRF" Member

Watch: too much Netflix
Absolutely love mine!! I like that it is thick and a total tool watch. In house movement with 70 hour power reserve is amazing.

climblaw25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 04:10 PM   #23
Zackwheat
"TRF" Member

I bought mine in August and th AD put it on a bracelet for me even though it came with a strap. I love it, but I just encountered the 2 day date jump and took it in to the AD to send for repair.

The AD said he hasn’t received any Tudor GMTs so far this year leading him to speculate that Tudor is so busy just repairing or replacing faulty movements, that it’s slowed down production of new GMTs,
Zackwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 08:02 PM   #24
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I think this watch, when released at Basel 2018 was easily the better more interesting watch alongside the new steel Rolex gmt

However I never put my name down on the list despite being a huge Tudor fan.

I picked up the BB58 which I love.

But the gmt, based on the original BB41 case disappointed me.

I still think it’s a stunning watch and I love my BB41 but rarely wear it (apart from as a holiday watch) due to its sheer size. 39mm and 11mm is my ideal.

I just hope they do a BB58 GMT - the proportions, vintage lugs, flat profile and vintage style bracelet are seriously impressive; just hoping at a smaller size.

bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 09:02 PM   #25
Aztro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Milgauss Z
Yes, great watch and very happy now. I did have the date issue, but it was sent in and fixed in about six weeks. It’s been fine since (seven months now). Probably the watch I wear most- mainly because I like to have something to fiddle with and the bezel and clasp are both very tactile and satisfying to adjust :-).
Aztro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 09:25 PM   #26
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Every time I put it on it makes me smile. That is how a watch should be

Get it on the bracelet in the first instance

It is not as comfortable as the 116710 (you forget your even wearing that watch) but it’s damn close
In-Cog-Neeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 10:34 PM   #27
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The Tudor GMT maybe my favorite Tudor of all time. I like the look, size and functions. It might be a one and only if I had to go that route.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190330_102646 (002).jpg (209.4 KB, 570 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 11:32 PM   #28
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's a great watch. I highly recommend you pick one up, if you can get your hands on one.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 11:51 PM   #29
Wildy
"TRF" Member

It’s a great watch. I have bought one and put it away for my sons 18th birthday, because he is always hinting that my black Rolex GMT is his favourite watch. When the Tudor GMT was released he told me that it was the first watch he would buy. Value for money, I cannot think of another watch that comes close.
Old 30 June 2019, 11:58 PM   #30
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Really like the watch on steel bracelet. Also looks great on a black rubber b. Only complaint is it's a bit thick but everything else makes up for it.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote