The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 December 2020, 12:39 AM   #1
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

F90 BMW M5 long term daily

Car nuts ... next summer I will buy a new daily driver (~50mi/day highways).

It’s been a close decision between the Lexus LC500 and an M5 Comp. Ultimately the M5 wins because of the extra refinement, power, and rear seats in the B compartment.

My only concern is longevity...i.e. maybe over he course of 5-7 years. The Lexus of course wouldn’t even break a sweat during that period.

What’s your experience with the M5 over the medium/long term?

Thanks
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 01:34 AM   #2
HenryCA
"TRF" Member

Never owned a M5 but had a M3 and various Bimmers. I think your best bet is the Lexus. The LC is gorgeous and I have seen a few on the road. I have never seen a M5 on the road because quite frankly the M5 is overkill. My boss’s 550 is plenty of car.

I still have my 2002 Lexus and it still drives like when it was new and almost 20 years old. Lexus age well where BMW’s won’t. Biggest gripe about BMW for me are the seats and bmw owners will know what I’m talking about. They wear out fast.

I think that particular Lexus will hold it’s value very well and will appreciate.

Again, this is my opinion. As watch guys say...see which sings to you.
HenryCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 01:40 AM   #3
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
You will do better with the Lexus.

But the M5 is so much sexier and way more car. It’s potentially one of the best all around cars made. Ever. Can’t speak about longevity though.

Either way, both great cars.

Fwiw, I far prefer Lexus as a brand. But the M5 Comp is a truly incredible vehicle.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 01:48 AM   #4
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Bmw? Longevity? Hahaha
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 01:49 AM   #5
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
As a Lexus owner, I have subscribed to the thread as I am also curious for down the road. I have a 2013 ES I bought used in 2016 with only 15k miles.

I no plans on replacing it any time soon, but know I may eventually want to upgrade a bit. Always considering BMW, Mercedes and Audi as potential future replacements.

I was not very impressed with the BMW interior when I was shopping around in 2012 (needed a truck) and again in 2016. But I was also in the lower price range at that time as well.

I look forward to any information gained on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 01:55 AM   #6
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Never been in a LC 500, but drove an M5 Comp for a week. I found the ride to be unbearably harsh, I couldn’t handle it as a daily. Switched it out for a 2020 M550 which I absolutely love. If you’re use it as a daily and not go to the track, I’d suggest you take a look at the one of the new M550s with the newer engine and more HP.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 02:03 AM   #7
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD531 View Post
As a Lexus owner, I have subscribed to the thread as I am also curious for down the road. I have a 2013 ES I bought used in 2016 with only 15k miles.

I no plans on replacing it any time soon, but know I may eventually want to upgrade a bit. Always considering BMW, Mercedes and Audi as potential future replacements.

I was not very impressed with the BMW interior when I was shopping around in 2012 (needed a truck) and again in 2016. But I was also in the lower price range at that time as well.

I look forward to any information gained on the forum.

bmw recently redid their interior so it's finally modernized. their only issue is it's basically the same throughout the 3 to the 8 series. so it's very nice on the 3/4 but a little underwhelming as you go up
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 02:14 AM   #8
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
Never been in a LC 500, but drove an M5 Comp for a week. I found the ride to be unbearably harsh, I couldn’t handle it as a daily. Switched it out for a 2020 M550 which I absolutely love. If you’re use it as a daily and not go to the track, I’d suggest you take a look at the one of the new M550s with the newer engine and more HP.
I don’t disagree. The 550 is also incredible. And likely a better all arounder.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 02:17 AM   #9
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
F80 M3 comp owner here, no issues for me
Old 21 December 2020, 02:23 AM   #10
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
The new BMW M550i is almost 90% the M5 for lot less money.
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 02:44 AM   #11
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
The 550 was my grail car but I feared longevity as well.

Having said that, I own a 2006 330 that has made it 210,000 on same engine but now needs to be rebuilt for its leaking gaskets....donating now. But had a great run and loved driving it before covid.

I’m a value guy so the 550 looked like the right reference for me over the M5

We might go Tesla for our next sedan.

Love that specific Lexus and in general, but for whatever reason my wife thinks Audi/bmw/Mercedes have better interior than Lexus/Acura.

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 02:52 AM   #12
chadwick4eva
"TRF" Member

Have driven BMWs for 10+ years now. Great cars and never had any issues with reliability.

I prefer the "in between" M cars that BMW has started to make across their lines and think they are the perfect blend of power and comfort. Unlike the true "M" line they are a softer drive and for that reason I think they're the best daily drivers. My dad bought a X3 M40i in the "phytonic blue metallic" paint 2 years ago and it is a beautiful car- he loves it. It's got enough power and tight handling to be very fun but not to the point where it's overbearing and you wish you were driving something else on a daily basis.

Never driven one but the M550i looks to be a great option- it's 75% of the price of the full blown M5. Go buy yourself a really nice timepiece (or a few!) with that ~27k+ you save. I guess if you are making that decision with the BMWs you have to ask yourself if 3.6s to 3.1s 0-60 is worth that much money.
Old 21 December 2020, 02:57 AM   #13
dgrelecki
"TRF" Member

M550 owner here (2019). Looked at the M5 but the ride is very harsh. When you have e that type of performance, the chassis needs to be stiffer for sure. Honestly, if I could do it again I’d even back this down to the 540i. Once you add bigger wheels and sport suspension it’s not just the ride but you start getting more rattles and squeaks...even with 15k miles in.
Just my $.02
Cartier Roadster 2510 - Cartier Santos Medium - Zenith Defy Classic Skeleton - Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar - Omega Sedna Gold Seamaster Professional Diver - Speedmaster Sapphire Sandwhich - 1985 Swatch Techno Sphere (green skeleton)
Freestyle Shark - Classic Leash (Clear/Cyan)
dgrelecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 03:32 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Depends on your roads, as the M could be a bit much as a daily, the 550 may be more appealing long-term. We have two BMWs (modded M-spec 435i N55 / 704 and Mini platform X1 N20) and love 'em, yet frankly get the Lexus. My parents have a new Lexus SUV, great vehicle. Again, love the BMW yet the smart play is Lexus.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 05:11 AM   #15
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I work with a gent who has an 18 M5 from new with 110k+ on the clock, tuned as well.
Not 1 issue ever, all normal maintenance/wear & tear.
Old 21 December 2020, 05:29 AM   #16
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
F80 M3 comp owner here, no issues for me
Had an F80 for four years, zero issues. That engine and tranny are virtually bombproof. The only issue to be aware of is a spinning crank hub, which is only a concern if you modify it to produce 600+ horse power, which of course wasn’t a concern for me.
I hang around the M forums and the F90s V8 did have some issues but none that couldn’t be addressed with proper maintenance and care. The DCT transmission, same as the M3/4/6 of the same generation is very reliable and over engineered but it can be a bit harsh in its most sporty setting.

If you want butter smooth operation and a worry free drive and forget car, the LC 500 wins, if you want a raw drivers car that is thrilling and exciting which commands respect and needs the owner to pay a bit more attention to the owner experience then the M5.

Personally the comparison should probably be an LC 500 vs an M6. Or GS F versus an M5.
In both cases I would take the BMW M cars, suits what I want in a performance car and I don’t mind putting a little more effort into ownership.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 06:06 AM   #17
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Neither.

Former e92 and F80 M3 owner.

BMW builds to lease, not last, so I would not choose BMW for long-term ownership. For get the resale blood bath.

For a daily, I would be looking at an SUV personally. Performance Sedans like an M5 are the equivalent of an All-Season tire, good at everything, great at nothing.

Also, LC on the highway everyday, no visibility over trucks and other cars, not my ideal highway vehicle.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 06:13 AM   #18
HenryCA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post

If you want butter smooth operation and a worry free drive and forget car, the LC 500 wins, if you want a raw drivers car that is thrilling and exciting which commands respect and needs the owner to pay a bit more attention to the owner experience then the M5.
One sounds like a wife and the other a girlfriend.

OP should get both.
HenryCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 09:58 AM   #19
selpo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I drive a F90 M5 non competition and love it. Came from a MB E 350 and an E550 before that. Pretty comfortable ride but not as good as the MB’s but the power is intoxicating. Pretty quiet cabin and the fit and finish is amazing. Cannot say anything about long term reliability but well worth it to me to experience the power and performance
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 371F8EF9-E3DF-4692-B2EB-6DD0F19D7A95.jpeg (116.2 KB, 498 views)
selpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 10:54 AM   #20
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I would lease the M5, I would buy the Lexus.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 11:56 AM   #21
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

I can’t believe the votes for the Lexus over the M5.

Even though the Lexus may last forever mechanically, the styling will be tired in a few years.

Japanese cars and their wild designs just don’t last. Except for maybe the Nissan Z, I can’t think of one design that’s withstood the test of time.

The M5 will look hot today and hot 10 years from now. And it probably will still be running too. Lol.

Fin
FHFinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 04:42 PM   #22
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHFinster View Post
I can’t believe the votes for the Lexus over the M5.

Even though the Lexus may last forever mechanically, the styling will be tired in a few years.

Japanese cars and their wild designs just don’t last. Except for maybe the Nissan Z, I can’t think of one design that’s withstood the test of time.

The M5 will look hot today and hot 10 years from now. And it probably will still be running too. Lol.

Fin

There are plenty of them that last and have in fact gone up in appreciation. In fact 1 from each Japanese manufacturer.

The Mk4 Supra from Toyota, the STI 22B From Subaru, the S2000 and the NSX from Honda, S13-S15 Sylvias, R32 - R34 Skylines from Nissan, the Lancer Evolution series from Mitsubishi, Rx7 series and Miata from Mazda.

Any of the above mentioned cars will continue to run to 300,000 miles with prudent maintenance. Each one has its common problems but so does the F90’s S85.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 09:48 PM   #23
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc

I’ve owned quite a few BMW’s, and always lusted after the M3 as a daily. After test driving one, I quickly came to the realization the ride was just too harsh for me and the car is always “on”. I got a 340i M sport (also have a 2006 330ci ZHP and 2 P cars). The 340i is a fantastic blend of comfort and power, and love the sleeper aspect of it. It is now 4 years old and has been very reliable, as has my old 330.

Let us know what you decide! I have always felt like BMWs have more soul than Lexus, and I owned one of those too, albeit for a very short stint.

RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 10:21 PM   #24
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quite different cars here.

2 vs 4 door

2+2 vs 4 seats

RWD vs AWD

For that amount of money, I would look at the Panamera. Better comparison against the M and much better drive IMO. Do you really need all that hp?
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 10:27 PM   #25
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Neither.

Former e92 and F80 M3 owner.

BMW builds to lease, not last, so I would not choose BMW for long-term ownership. For get the resale blood bath.

For a daily, I would be looking at an SUV personally. Performance Sedans like an M5 are the equivalent of an All-Season tire, good at everything, great at nothing.

Also, LC on the highway everyday, no visibility over trucks and other cars, not my ideal highway vehicle.
I agree with this completely.

I understand getting what you want, however these would not be my choices for a daily driver car.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 12:37 AM   #26
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

I've had a BMW 328i and M3 and both were essentially bullet proof. The reliability issues IMO are just not true. I've had zero issues with both. Will the Lexus be more maintenance free? Perhaps. But the pure joy of driving the M5 will far outweigh that.
Get the M5!
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 01:40 AM   #27
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I've owned an awful lot of BMWs, include 4 M5s of different vintages. Great cars, absolutely.

Long-term maintenance and repair costs can vary widely, depending on the complexity, the engine but mostly pure luck.

I personally find the new "M" cars to be too stiff riding for DD duties. Currently I have a G30 540i which has plenty of power and a great, comfortable and quiet ride.

I have not yet looked at the LC, but I find it intriguing and will consider it when the lease runs out on the 5.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 04:03 AM   #28
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Never had a Lexus.
Have daily driven an M3 and M4. They are a little rough.
I daily a 2020 M550i. 523hp. It has split personality. Very easy going in comfort mode.Hit the sport button and it feels like a muscle car. BMW leases very well! Very happy with mine.

No wrong decision here.
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 05:09 AM   #29
placek
Banned

Watch: Red Sea Dweller 43
Used to love BMWs, but my last 2 we awful. The depreciation on them is pretty awful as well. You aren't going to do any better with the resale on the LC, but it's Toyota and you know the build quality there.

I look at the LC every time I see one, which is not that often, and comment how nice it is. I can't say the same thing about any BMW.
placek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 05:55 AM   #30
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Porsche an option?