The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Gallery

Old 26 June 2013, 03:02 AM   #1
FlockOfMyles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
My First Rolex, Explorer II 16570

Heya all,

Been browsing the forums for a bit here and occasionally would get the lockout by registration so I ended up registering and wanted to post a wrist shot of my watch and ask a few questions to boot.

First, the watch I bought was a Z series but I am seeing conflicting reports about the rehaut and when it was first introduced on this model and how that affects value. Second, is reluming a Rolex inadvisable? The current lume is quite alright but I have seen the Chromalight lume on the 216570 and it looks beautiful. I have looked at some third party reluming services but would feel much more comfortable if an AD could apply the lume. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance for your time and thanks for looking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130620_100646.jpg (61.9 KB, 437 views)
FlockOfMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 10:19 PM   #2
RLROCK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on my mood
Hi Flock,

You have great taste! Wear the watch in good health.

I just purchased a preowned Z series identical to yours with full papers. I was told by the seller, ErikSzper, who does a lot with Rolex watches on here, that the rehaut was not done on our watch until much later. Rolex did not seem to do this to all models simultaneously.

My watch was originally sold in 2010. It must have been NOS by the dealer.

The rehaut is a nice feature to have, but I believe that it's not a necessity on ours since the newer model has been introduced.
RLROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 10:43 PM   #3
green_carnation
"TRF" Member

Oh congrats both.. I'm looking for an explorer II too, hope to find the 16550 cream dial. btw I'm confused.. One is talking about relume one is talking about rehaut. If can be relumed will be nice, make it bright! but, what is it about the rehaut?
green_carnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 10:47 PM   #4
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Welcome and congrats!
Old 27 June 2013, 12:33 AM   #5
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I don't believe RSC does relumes you would need a dial replacement..

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 02:22 AM   #6
FlockOfMyles
"TRF" Member

Ah, and that would most certainly affect the value as it would not be the original dial correct? I've only recently made the foray into higher end watches and still doing my research and such in terms of what affects value and provenance and so forth. The dial would certainly look beautiful with that Chromalight lume but I don't want to mod the watch to obscurity. Perhaps I can email Rolex directly and see how much a new dial might run.

But green carnation, as far as I know, the cream dial was actually a defect of sorts and because of this that piece is rather expensive and rare. I believe I saw one for sale for ~14,000 Australian (don't know the conversion or anything like that). Also, the rehaut is the engraving around the inner bezel beneath the sapphire.

Thanks to all for looking! I'm definitely loving the piece so far, I'm toying with the idea of slapping a leather NATO on it but the bracelet wears quite nicely.
Old 27 June 2013, 02:42 AM   #7
FlockOfMyles
"TRF" Member

That's funny that you say that RLROCK, the dealer I purchased from had a few others in stock which were bought out the same week I got mine. Some speculation I had read around the net is that the older 16570s would increase in value over time so I justified the expense by treating it as a quasi-investment, how many Rolexes (how do you pluralize it? Rolexi?) get justified to significant others and/or yourself in this way am I right? lol.

I am on the fence about whether or not I would prefer the rehaut or not, the reason I decided on the Exp 2 is the relatively low key look it brings to the table. It's a beautiful, unassuming piece that doesn't draw too much attention except to the most discerning of horological geeks. Also, pardon me, I'm relatively new to the watch world and still picking up on the nomenclature, what is NOS?

green carnation, based on the research I had done on the Exp 2, the cream dial was actually a defect and because of this runs quite high in price. Last one I had seen on sale was ~14,500 in Australian Dollars (don't know the conversion or anything like that). It is a beautiful looking piece though, has a nice vintage look to it. Also, the rehaut is the engraving on the inner bezel underneath the sapphire that says "ROLEXROLEXROLEX".

Rags, how would a new dial affect the value and do you happen to know how much something like that might cost directly from Rolex?

Thanks for looking everyone! Been loving the piece, thinking about slapping a leather NATO on it but the bracelet wears quite nicely. Might be something down the road to change it up a bit.
Old 27 June 2013, 11:04 PM   #8
green_carnation
"TRF" Member

Thanks for replying Flock.. Yeah last checked it's about that price range, more costly compared to the white dial. I am looking at the mid 80s 16550 which has the gold hands instead of black as in the 16570.. If it's 80s then will not have rehaut engraving.. Seeing your 16570 again makes me feel like getting one too..
green_carnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2013, 01:22 AM   #9
FlockOfMyles
"TRF" Member

Ah, I also just realized that my first post did end up going through. I was not aware of the moderator approval thing and thought it got glitched so I typed my reply again in even further detail. But yes, it's a lovely piece. I had not seen the one with the gold hands, will have to take a look at that one. Watches are a blessing and a curse I tell ya.
Old 29 June 2013, 01:41 AM   #10
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Congrats
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2013, 07:43 PM   #12
ArtVandelay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Expies, Sub, IWCs
awesome watch choice. My most worn rollie as far as I'm concerned.
i second the opinion that you'd need a dial replacement as re-luminating the watch isn't available- and if someone tells you it is, it's not worth the risk for such a fine piece of jewelry IMO.

Wear it in good health.
ArtVandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2013, 01:04 PM   #13
myclue
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
beautiful piece. I've been looking to get an explorer II myself
myclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2013, 01:34 PM   #14
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Welcome to the club. Congrats.
Old 3 July 2013, 02:10 AM   #15
FlockOfMyles
"TRF" Member

Art, do you happen to know how I might go about that and what that might cost? I don't know if it's on my radar any time soon but perhaps down the road. But yes, it's a beautiful piece and very simplistic. Very pleased with my purchase.

hdrazor, I just saw your signature, glad to see that your watch was recovered! Couldn't imagine losing my watch.
Old 3 July 2013, 02:20 AM   #16
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
Very nice piece. I like both the white and the black Explorer IIs. Still on the fence as to whether to pull the trigger :-)
mikkibarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2013, 02:27 AM   #17
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I just sold my black dialed Expl. II and had a polar dialed one up until 2008. Welcome to the adventurous model in the lineup!

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote