The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2018, 05:43 AM   #1
SurfDiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD-DB
DeepSea Dweller Deep Blue on Nato

Love the bracelet. The micro adjust on the wrist is superbly engineered (and I believe only on the DSSD). But need to color it up sometimes. I am partial to Omega NATO because they are well made. Have another brand on order. Here is the blue and grey bond I picked up today. Will buff “Omega” off the keeper tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SurfDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 06:11 AM   #2
Clay
Banned

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 08:07 AM   #3
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

Looks pretty cool, the colors are a nice complement to that amazing dial!
lowmandfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 01:15 PM   #4
Ryuden
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Surprisingly...I kinda like it...Looks good...

Ryuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 01:17 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Looks great

Curious to know how it wears ... I would’ve thought the DBlue would be too top heavy for a nato
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 02:22 PM   #6
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDiver View Post
I am partial to Omega NATO because they are well made. Here is the blue and grey bond I picked up today. Will buff “Omega” off the keeper tonight
Excellent choice , I daresay Omega is ranked among the top 3 for NATO straps .Many people still don't realize how superb the quality of an Omega Nato. I bought an original Spectre Bond Nato for 180 bucks, bloody expensive but well worth it so i can attest to their reliability and ruggedness. Below is my wrists shot taken in Dec 2015. That Spectre Nato is only exclusive to the SM 300 Master Co-Ax Spectre watch head not my non Spectre version but somehow the OB folks managed to grab an extra from HQ in Bienne. No kidding!

Besides having your Nato proudly engraved with the Omega logo and name ( Buffing it out, eh ? Such a Pity! ), any other particular reason WHY you didn't choose the 5 ring thicker Zulu nylon strap with the beefier rounded buckles for the D-Blue?
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 03:19 PM   #7
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

The James Cameron is top heavy on the bracelet...I could only imagine how much more so on NATO!
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 03:22 PM   #8
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyv6 View Post
The James Cameron is top heavy on the bracelet...I could only imagine how much more so on NATO!
I've had the DSSD for going on nearly 5 years. Its big, but the secret is to get it properly sized and to wear it slightly snug. If you do that it doesn't flop around and is actually one of the most comfortable watches I've owned.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 08:28 AM   #9
SurfDiver
"TRF" Member

Most importantly, the watch wears great on the NATO! It’s a heavy watch. The NATO makes it a little lighter. The Omega fabric doesn’t stretch, which helps maintain the comfort.

Which brings me to why I buffed off Omega. I suppose I didn’t want the branding on the Rolex. But you raise a good point. If proud of the Omega quality strap, why remove? Actually never thought of it that way. Good point. Anyway, I report the Omega wells well on the DSSD.

Old 24 February 2018, 08:31 AM   #10
SurfDiver
"TRF" Member

PS - I wear the bracelet and the strap snug as ferrissteve11 says. Like him, worn DSSD for a while and I find it the way to be comfortable. I wear my Submariner a little looser.

If you like to change bands, like me, invest in a quality spring bar tool. Otherwise, scratch the case. The Rolex bracelets are engineered to fit tightly.

Old 24 February 2018, 08:49 AM   #11
Jrcigar
"TRF" Member

I’m with Megan on this, NO ONE makes a better NATO than Omega. Expensive but well worth the comfort and more importantly, the durability as well as superior hardware. You can trust your multi-thousand dollar watch on them.
Jrcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:51 AM   #12
SurfDiver
"TRF" Member

I have to agree, the Omega NATO is one of the best, if not the best. The reason why the heavy DSSD is comfortable on the Omega is because it doesn’t stretch during wear. I’ve tried lesser brands and they stretch. Tighten the Omega and it holds as well as the Rolex bracelet.

Old 24 February 2018, 12:14 PM   #13
gttime
"TRF" Member

Looks great!!!
gttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 01:15 PM   #14
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I opened the post setermained that I won’t like it but I was surprised with how good it looks actually! I might give it a shot myself
Thanks for sharing... cheers
Old 25 February 2018, 11:30 PM   #15
SurfDiver
"TRF" Member

Also have a David Lane shell cordovan nato in deep navy blue on the way. He is making a custom strap with green stitching around the buckle and keepers. The stitching matches “DEEPSEA” on the face. Remember shell cordovan is NOT leather. Actually a very dense rubbery horse muscle. Doesn’t smell like leather. Smells like roasted coffee, even after wear.

Old 25 February 2018, 11:33 PM   #16
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Looks good! I'm too addicted to the bracelet though.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 12:24 AM   #17
Valle de Joux
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDiver View Post
Love the bracelet. The micro adjust on the wrist is superbly engineered (and I believe only on the DSSD). But need to color it up sometimes. I am partial to Omega NATO because they are well made. Have another brand on order. Here is the blue and grey bond I picked up today. Will buff “Omega” off the keeper tonight

Looks great!
Valle de Joux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 07:19 AM   #18
SurfDiver
"TRF" Member

Just added a new NATO to the DSSD-DB collection. This one is a Haveston. Included more pics because the Haveston is every bit as nice and well made as the Omega. Slightly thicker and really holds the DSSD-DB. Havestons are much less expensive -$35.00. Stainless robust hardware. The major difference between the Haveston and the Omega is the length. Haveston is shorter. If you dont want the fold over, that’s a plus!

Old 22 March 2018, 04:50 AM   #19
SurfDiver
"TRF" Member

Added another NATO to the collection. This one is by far the best NATO for the DDSD-DB. The strap is a custom shell cordovan from David Lane.

Why is the shell cordovan good for a DSSD-DB. First, shell cordovan is not leather. It’s a horse muscle, not a hide. Second, it’s incredibly dense and waterproof. Third, it smells great- even when wet. Fourth, it dries as quick as nylon. Most importantly, shell cordovan is a heavy strap that counter balances the weight of the DSSD-DB. There is some maintenance. I use Venetian Balm Cream to condition and restore oils. Do this about once a month. It also takes out scrapes.

Now to the band. Very, very well made. The deep blue compliments the dial and the green stitching is spot on the compliment the “DEEPSEA” lettering. Hardware is robust and has a nice even shine. Look at the pics and draw you own conclusions. I love mine! Cant wait to break it in!