The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2018, 05:49 AM   #91
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Its all about the production run, the ETA black had a low run
This is just creating a hype out of nowhere.

I read about this happening when they discontinued the model and went with an in-house movement but this is ridiculous.

This can't beat a 14060 sub.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 06:19 AM   #92
iznoguud
"TRF" Member

Watch: Torn between a few
I think I know where I can find a Black and a Burgundy ones on straps... just need to check.

Which one should I go for?
iznoguud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 06:34 AM   #93
Polarbears
Banned

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by iznoguud View Post
I think I know where I can find a Black and a Burgundy ones on straps... just need to check.

Which one should I go for?
The Black. The Burgundy is plentiful!
Polarbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 06:37 AM   #94
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post

I read about this happening when they discontinued the model and went with an in-house movement but this is ridiculous.

I don't follow your logic. It's ridiculous that a short production run would mean smaller numbers? It's not "hype" when you look at the secondhand market and see the lack of these up for sale. The price above MSRP also dictates that it's not just hype...it's the market value at the moment.

And to say it can't beat a 14060 - how so? What makes the 14060 better? Even IF you could prove the 14060 beats the Black Bay in some way, the common person should expect that as the two aren't even competitors due to the vastly differing price points.
Old 14 February 2018, 06:39 AM   #95
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
No. Only for vintage. And then mainly only patina of the lume. Not scratches and daily wear. For supposed "investment" I'd keep it in the box with stickers.
I'd rather wear it and enjoy it; they might appreciate or the bottom of the market may fall out and they could go back to depreciated normally.
Raza_actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 06:43 AM   #96
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Quote:

In what regards?
Raza_actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 06:55 AM   #97
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
The blue black bay eta production run was only 2 years came out in 2014 .the red came out in 2011 so thats very common 5 year run.and the noir came out in 2015 was around for about 4 or 5 months .i think thats correct
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 07:00 AM   #98
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luap1976 View Post
The blue black bay eta production run was only 2 years came out in 2014 .the red came out in 2011 so thats very common 5 year run.and the noir came out in 2015 was around for about 4 or 5 months .i think thats correct
Correct and the Story according to a Basel Tudor interview that once was posted stated the Black was supposed to launch the in house line but they had spare ETA movements and cases and decided to use the remaining cases and movements for a short run in Black. Many dealers didn’t even get stock. It’s an anomaly only a few thousand made. That doesn’t happen often with Rolex or Tudor. Can you think of any recent “limited edition” Rolexes or Tudors? When it happens the collectors snap them all up and there are a Ton Of Rolex/Tudor collectors. That’s why these are so scarce and prices seem to only be going up and are quite stable meaning not moving downward.
Old 14 February 2018, 07:07 AM   #99
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbears View Post
Correct and the Story according to a Basel Tudor interview that once was posted stated the Black was supposed to launch the in house line but they had spare ETA movements and cases and decided to use the remaining cases and movements for a short run in Black. Many dealers didn’t even get stock. It’s an anomaly only a few thousand made. That doesn’t happen often with Rolex or Tudor. Can you think of any recent “limited edition” Rolexes or Tudors? When it happens the collectors snap them all up and there are a Ton Of Rolex/Tudor collectors. That’s why these are so scarce and prices seem to only be going up and are quite stable meaning not moving downward.
Talking of limited edition peices i really want the harrods version to join my blue eta. But i will not pay resale.if my name gets called at harrods ill be happy ,but who knows if they will phone me anytime soon
Old 14 February 2018, 07:17 AM   #100
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luap1976 View Post
Talking of limited edition peices i really want the harrods version to join my blue eta. But i will not pay resale.if my name gets called at harrods ill be happy ,but who knows if they will phone me anytime soon
They are really cool green BB’s. I don’t think they will ever discontinue the green Harrods so eventually they will be more plentiful.
Old 14 February 2018, 07:33 AM   #101
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They are really cool green BB’s. I don’t think they will ever discontinue the green Harrods so eventually they will be more plentiful.
Lets hope
Old 14 February 2018, 12:29 PM   #102
MSK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I guess that’s the beauty of watch ownership, to each his own. While I won’t argue against a timeless such as a ND sub, the BBB eta is truly a special watch that can fill someone’s void in regards to “needing” a diver. I’d reserve judgement until holding one in the flesh.
MSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 01:01 PM   #103
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSK View Post
I guess that’s the beauty of watch ownership, to each his own. While I won’t argue against a timeless such as a ND sub, the BBB eta is truly a special watch that can fill someone’s void in regards to “needing” a diver. I’d reserve judgement until holding one in the flesh.
I imagine some will be majorly shocked in 10 years how coveted these will be. It’s a buy now proposition. Comparing it to 5 Digit Rolexes misses the point. This watch has its own identity and not many will have one.
Old 14 February 2018, 03:06 PM   #104
exador
Banned

Thought I'd better score the last one in the country at 5% under MSRP

exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 03:29 PM   #105
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Thought I'd better score the last one in the country at 5% under MSRP

What a watch!! You must have had to call every dealer in existence.
Old 14 February 2018, 03:43 PM   #106
exador
Banned

Quote:
What a watch!! You must have had to call every dealer in existence.
Fortunately there's only two ADs where I live
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 08:43 PM   #107
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
What a rare beauty.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 11:38 PM   #108
Well:Timed
Banned

Leather is sooo much the nicer of the two versions, and if people are correct about the 25% allocation on production (which I can believe, but to the metal being £200 more) this is going to be the more collectable.

Heres mine on a rainy day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbn.jpg (195.4 KB, 277 views)
Well:Timed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 12:44 AM   #109
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

I realize that the run on these was low. I recall the Black coming out and then Basel and then the in house all took place within the scope of about three months.

That said, there was a brand new one of these at Liljinquist in Tyson’s in December in the case. Yes the eta. Yes the rose. Yes the black. I tried it on.

Sure they have some uniqueness and maybe some collector context. But they’re sure not unavailable if you call around.

While I’m at it, there was one on dc’s Craigslist for $2575 obo within the last couple of months.

So don’t think you have to go crazy to get one at $5000 or even over msrp. That’s silly.
Dusko.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 01:51 AM   #110
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR|LVC|PAM 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusko.Popov View Post
I realize that the run on these was low. I recall the Black coming out and then Basel and then the in house all took place within the scope of about three months.

That said, there was a brand new one of these at Liljinquist in Tyson’s in December in the case. Yes the eta. Yes the rose. Yes the black. I tried it on.

Sure they have some uniqueness and maybe some collector context. But they’re sure not unavailable if you call around.

While I’m at it, there was one on dc’s Craigslist for $2575 obo within the last couple of months.

So don’t think you have to go crazy to get one at $5000 or even over msrp. That’s silly.

The market on these is changing because they don't come up often and grey market dealers/auction sites get a hold of them.

Timeless Luxury Watches just sold a used one last week $3750. Thats $300 over MSRP and $1k over what they were going for 1.5 years ago. I know because I actually called one of the guys at Timeless I know and he confirmed the selling price to me.
Pattyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 01:54 AM   #111
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyb69 View Post
The market on these is changing because they don't come up often and grey market dealers/auction sites get a hold of them.

Timeless Luxury Watches just sold a used one last week $3750. Thats $300 over MSRP and $1k over what they were going for 1.5 years ago. I know because I actually called one of the guys at Timeless I know and he confirmed the selling price to me.
Several sold on eBay for over $3700 and one just sold for $4800.
Old 15 February 2018, 02:19 AM   #112
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Damn. Really? Where did the $4800 sell?
Old 15 February 2018, 02:24 AM   #113
perry731
"TRF" Member

Quote:
$4800 really??
perry731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 03:20 AM   #114
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Damn. Really? Where did the $4800 sell?
It was stated earlier in this thread or a related thread via eBay UK.
Old 15 February 2018, 04:09 AM   #115
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was stated earlier in this thread or a related thread via eBay UK.
Hmmm.. Makes me think I should sell my BNIB one that is arriving today .. But I won't cause I wanna wear it
Old 15 February 2018, 04:31 AM   #116
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Hmmm.. Makes me think I should sell my BNIB one that is arriving today .. But I won't cause I wanna wear it
They will only go up. Better to keep and enjoy.
Old 15 February 2018, 05:08 AM   #117
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I don't follow your logic. It's ridiculous that a short production run would mean smaller numbers? It's not "hype" when you look at the secondhand market and see the lack of these up for sale. The price above MSRP also dictates that it's not just hype...it's the market value at the moment.

And to say it can't beat a 14060 - how so? What makes the 14060 better? Even IF you could prove the 14060 beats the Black Bay in some way, the common person should expect that as the two aren't even competitors due to the vastly differing price points.

I understand the reasoning. A short/limited production and it will be difficult to find and the prices rise.

But why weren't people jumping on this when they announced the in-house movement? This happens EVERY time. And topics like this fuel the need/craving for this, people don't want to miss out. Same happened to the Hulk.

And I simply don't see the value in this watch when it goes to +5.000 USD. Especially an ETA Tudor vs a Rolex 14060. The bracelet and overall feel is better on the Rolex.
Old 15 February 2018, 05:23 AM   #118
teo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand the reasoning. A short/limited production and it will be difficult to find and the prices rise.

But why weren't people jumping on this when they announced the in-house movement? This happens EVERY time. And topics like this fuel the need/craving for this, people don't want to miss out. Same happened to the Hulk.

And I simply don't see the value in this watch when it goes to +5.000 USD. Especially an ETA Tudor vs a Rolex 14060. The bracelet and overall feel is better on the Rolex.
It's not about the movement. For example a vintage daytona with valjoux movement is more desirable than a modern daytona with inhouse movement. It's more on the look of the watch and the production numbers.
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 06:27 AM   #119
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
It's not about the movement. For example a vintage daytona with valjoux movement is more desirable than a modern daytona with inhouse movement. It's more on the look of the watch and the production numbers.
Where did I even discuss the movement?

People go crazy for anything limited nowadays, just hoping to have something special or make a quick buck flipping it.
Old 15 February 2018, 06:58 AM   #120
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
Scored mine for 2k before the rush started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhotoPictureResizer_180123_161758370-600x1067.jpg (141.3 KB, 218 views)
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote