The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 February 2018, 11:51 AM   #1
macct
"TRF" Member

Lange 1 Moon Phase vs. 1815 Annual Calendar

I was in NYC last week, and had a chance to stop at the Lange Boutique. I was looking for a silver/white dial dress watch for daily wear. This next watch is meant as a replacement for my JLC MUT Perpetual which I decided to release after getting it serviced. It was a great watch, but I want to try something new with more presence and better legibility.

The 1815 Annual Calendar is the watch that really caught my attention. It combines two of my favorite complications and it has the quick set button which is ideal. I am also a fan of the arabics, but find the standard 1815 too plain. The main negative is the date legibility and size. I can probably get use to the date and the contrast is better than the JLC. The size is also doable, but it seems to wear big for 40mm watch (17cm wrist). I can manage the size, but not sure I want to, knowing comfort is so critical, especially for a daily wearer. Obviously, not an easy thing to determine in a store or boutique.

I was also impressed by the Lange 1 PT Moon Phase. It is the one watch that I always associate with the brand. The sheen of the case and dial are very appealing. The moon phase also really pops and it doesn't compete against anything. The size works great, but I would need to get use to the heftiness of the PT case. In terms of other cons is whether or not I want an offset dial as my main daily wearer. It also not the ideal watch to peak under your cuff to see the time (versus FPJ Octa watches). If I went this route it would likely be preowned, meaning the older movement. I am not sure if that should be a consideration.

Big picture, I think both of these models have a lot of character, albeit their styles a so different. The question is which one would be the most comfortable and hold my interest as a daily wearer. I also looked at the Saxonia Annual Calendar, but thought it seemed small relative to the Lange 1, probably due to the busier dial.

photo from "ablogtowatch"

photo from "Monochrome"

I also had a chance to see a blue dial Lange 1. It was really sharp. The blue tone is really appealing. It is a medium hue, but not overly bright or bold while still being very blue and not a grayish blue. I can see it being a difficult color to photograph well.
macct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 12:07 PM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
The AC
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 12:24 PM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd go with the MP, as the Lange 1 is so iconic to mine eye, the AC looks well executed but a little fussy.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 12:58 PM   #4
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Tough call...I think I’d go Lange 1 moon phase
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 01:43 PM   #5
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

1 MP, whys the AC say it on dial
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 12:38 PM   #6
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Does the older gen Moonphase, which I believe you said would be the option (preowned), have the same "pop" you like on the moonphase? I thought the newer model was a little more appealing. Something to check.

In terms of 1815 AC versus MP, I'd go AC. I've had both on the wrist and I preferred the AC. Note, I wear a Dato Up/Down on a somewhat regular basis and have a smallish wrist. The PT Dato case is a little heavy (and thick), I don't wear it daily and wouldn't travel with it when it would be the only watch for multiple days. The 1815 AC is 1mm narrower and 2mm thinner and so was much more comfortable.

Still, both watches are 10mm or a little over, for everyday comfort I've gotten used to thinner and so neither would fit the criteria for me. By comparison FPJ CB at 39mm and 8.6mm is everyday wearable, or a 5711 at 40mm and 8.3mm is everyday wearable.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 12:46 PM   #7
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

The AC all the way. The MP is nice but the offset dial would bother me.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 12:58 PM   #8
macct
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all of the comments.
Old 23 February 2018, 01:09 PM   #9
macct
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Does the older gen Moonphase, which I believe you said would be the option (preowned), have the same "pop" you like on the moonphase? I thought the newer model was a little more appealing. Something to check.

In terms of 1815 AC versus MP, I'd go AC. I've had both on the wrist and I preferred the AC. Note, I wear a Dato Up/Down on a somewhat regular basis and have a smallish wrist. The PT Dato case is a little heavy (and thick), I don't wear it daily and wouldn't travel with it when it would be the only watch for multiple days. The 1815 AC is 1mm narrower and 2mm thinner and so was much more comfortable.

Still, both watches are 10mm or a little over, for everyday comfort I've gotten used to thinner and so neither would fit the criteria for me. By comparison FPJ CB at 39mm and 8.6mm is everyday wearable, or a 5711 at 40mm and 8.3mm is everyday wearable.
Appreciate the detailed response. Satisfaction of ownership for me is so driven by comfort. The JLC MUT Perpetual is light and thin, and you can forget you are wearing it. Both of these Langes are thicker and heavier so it would be an adjustment, albeit hopefully still comfortable choice on the wrist.
Old 23 February 2018, 02:42 PM   #10
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
The moon phase by a mile. Not as busy and the moon phase is truly beautiful

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 09:36 PM   #11
GFONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange / Rolex
If you are looking for annual calendar, I would suggest to get the Saxonia Annual Calendar. It has the outsize date.
GFONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 06:28 AM   #12
tubojunk
"TRF" Member

I prefer the Saxonia AC over the 1815 as well. Out of these I would go Lange 1 MP
Rolex 126610LN
tubojunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 06:39 AM   #13
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
The new Lange MP has day/night indicator which is cool. The layout of the AC reminds me of Patek 3940 too much
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 03:55 AM   #14
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
You have to go L1 here. The dial layout is unmistakable and a modern icon. The new day/night indicator built into the MP complication is super cool, too.

Why not go for the black dial WG version? It will save you some $ and be a little more subtle/sporty on the wrist for daily driving?

It's a personal favorite of mine, and the one dress watch I'd go for in the $25k+ range.
Old 28 February 2018, 05:22 AM   #15
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I had the Lange 1 MP in pt. it is a great watch and I loved the moonphase and heft. I much prefer the Lange 1 in this situation.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 06:21 AM   #16
jpwv
"TRF" Member

1st one
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 07:09 AM   #17
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
You have to go L1 here. The dial layout is unmistakable and a modern icon. The new day/night indicator built into the MP complication is super cool, too.

Why not go for the black dial WG version? It will save you some $ and be a little more subtle/sporty on the wrist for daily driving?

It's a personal favorite of mine, and the one dress watch I'd go for in the $25k+ range.
That watch is like 40 ask, but agree a beauty
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote