The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2018, 08:03 AM   #1
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
AD Lists for the Daytona and how to bypass them?!

So as I read DoctorA’s recent thread about his experience with bundling and opportunity to buy the Daytona, I’m thinking about playing along with a couple of my ADs but with a twist and wanted some opinions. With the several SS sports models I already own and with recent purchases at one AD, I am really only interested in the White Daytona (which I’ve been on lists since Basel release 2016) My best friend has seen my collection grow and is getting into Rolexes. We were at the Wynn boutique and he’s narrowed it down between the Cellini Moonphase or the sub bluesy. I told him I’d call my ADs and see if they would take care of him and give them the business instead of Wynn and see if that would push me up the list for the Daytona given the referral. The question then is, if he decides to buy the Cellini Moonphase (which likely is a slow moving piece given it’s around $28k price tag) should I negotiate into the deal the Daytona C (for me of course -and my best friend is totally ok with this btw) as a contingency of the purchase/referral? With regards to the bluesy, given it’s popularity, I don’t think I’ll really have any leverage but is it worth a try if he decides for that one instead? Opinions welcome! Thanks.
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 08:22 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Doesn't hurt to try....every AD is different so hard to say.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I’ve referred nearly $50,000 worth of sales since November 2017 to my AD. I’ve not received a thank you email, letter, hat, umbrella, pen. Squat. Certainly no offer of a special discount on a purchase or being moved up a waiting list. Based on my experience, and I know others who have had the same experience with their AD’s, I would expect them to do nothing for you. Certainly holding a sale or loss of a sale over their heads for favorable treatment isn’t going to win you gratitude. It’s unfortunate but seems to be how AD’s work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 08:25 AM   #4
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Worth trying, but I wouldn't expect a Cellini purchase to guarantee you a DaytonaC.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 08:37 AM   #5
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Can't hurt to try. Considering how many here wish ADs would be more transparent, it would probably be in your best interest to do the same. Tell them straight up that you will buy X if they can get you Y. I would imagine most dealers don't even suggest the possibility because they don't want to risk insulting a customer. But if you broach the subject, they may be more open to discussion.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 08:47 AM   #6
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Is your friend ok with the idea that instead of him getting a discount on his Cellini, you will get a hot watch?
Old 25 February 2018, 08:56 AM   #7
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

At the particular AD I’m most willing to have this transparent discussion and referral, I bought my wife’s nearly $20k datejust and was immediately offered a SS skyD which I bought so that was nearly 33k in the one purchase this past December so I’m a fairly recent customer but am willing to give them all my future business and referrals if the come through for me on the Daytona.
Old 25 February 2018, 08:56 AM   #8
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
I’ve referred nearly $50,000 worth of sales since November 2017 to my AD. I’ve not received a thank you email, letter, hat, umbrella, pen. Squat. Certainly no offer of a special discount on a purchase or being moved up a waiting list. Based on my experience, and I know others who have had the same experience with their AD’s, I would expect them to do nothing for you. Certainly holding a sale or loss of a sale over their heads for favorable treatment isn’t going to win you gratitude. It’s unfortunate but seems to be how AD’s work.

Wow, talk about ungrateful!! Can't believe ADs are getting that bad. Looks like business is too good. Let them know your beef and perhaps shop elsewhere. Good luck. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 08:57 AM   #9
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Doesn't hurt to try....every AD is different so hard to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Is your friend ok with the idea that instead of him getting a discount on his Cellini, you will get a hot watch?
I specifically and honestly asked him if he would be ok with that and he said absolutely yes.
Old 25 February 2018, 09:01 AM   #10
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmizzou View Post
I specifically and honestly asked him if he would be ok with that and he said absolutely yes.

That sounds strange.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 09:13 AM   #11
Spoonage
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe have your friend negotiate the Cellini / Sub and the Daytona. Then when they call him go with him, you pay for it and your name is on the card. Or give him the money and he can pay for it and put your name on the card.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 09:23 AM   #12
Zedder
"TRF" Member

I would only do it face to face with your friend there ready to buy. They will take you much more seriously if you are standing there with cash in hand.

The AD I originally did businuess with would not even add me to their Daytona list because they said that they had too many people on it already ( I had asked them about the list a few years earlier and they said it was 1-2 years, but they were happy to add me to the list, but I declined as I didn’t love the steel bezel). A week later I was there and 2 of the family members that own the AD were talking about a guy who came in and offered to buy a Platona if they sold him an SS Daytona (I was there when this originally occurred). He was an out of country visitor, so the family member dealing with the fellow said no. When the other family member heard the story she told him that he should have done it. Imagine how I felt standing there with 3 previous Rolex purchases from them and being refused being put on the list!

That is when I realized the list was BS. I called a friend who is a VIP at another AD. He made an introduction for me. I went in, had a nice chat and expressed an interest to buy 2 or 3 watches total including the SS Daytona. They said that they would ‘get me one’, but with no time frame given. A week later, I went in and bought my Son a Sub and mentioned again that I would take a DJ when they got me a Daytona. I then recommended 2 others to them that bought SS models during the next week. 5 weeks after my initial visit, I went in again. This time I was asked if I was prepared to do the ‘2 watch deal”. I said yes and walked out with my Daytona and my wife’s DJ.
Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 09:38 AM   #13
79280_116520
"TRF" Member

This method "usually" works.. Buying a Patek with it helps as well.

79280_116520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 09:41 AM   #14
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So as I read DoctorA’s recent thread about his experience with bundling and opportunity to buy the Daytona, I’m thinking about playing along with a couple of my ADs but with a twist and wanted some opinions. With the several SS sports models I already own and with recent purchases at one AD, I am really only interested in the White Daytona (which I’ve been on lists since Basel release 2016) My best friend has seen my collection grow and is getting into Rolexes. We were at the Wynn boutique and he’s narrowed it down between the Cellini Moonphase or the sub bluesy. I told him I’d call my ADs and see if they would take care of him and give them the business instead of Wynn and see if that would push me up the list for the Daytona given the referral. The question then is, if he decides to buy the Cellini Moonphase (which likely is a slow moving piece given it’s around $28k price tag) should I negotiate into the deal the Daytona C (for me of course -and my best friend is totally ok with this btw) as a contingency of the purchase/referral? With regards to the bluesy, given it’s popularity, I don’t think I’ll really have any leverage but is it worth a try if he decides for that one instead? Opinions welcome! Thanks.
In this case I would go in with your friend and tell them you’re walking out of the store either with two watches or with none!

I know many dealers will “create” a daytona for you if you were to buy a $25k slow mover!
Old 25 February 2018, 09:51 AM   #15
roger0770
Banned

Watch: A Few
Give it a try and see what that AD does. I referred quite a bit of business to my AD, and he took care of me. I got a black DaytonaC at MSRP last summer. Still waiting for my white dial Daytona though.

roger0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:08 PM   #16
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your input guys. I’ll let you all know how it plays out! DoctorA, good luck with your decision on the TT SKyD and Daytona. I think I remember you saying in prior threads/posts you were after one anyway so this is a great deal. I think you’re a fairly recent collector and have quickly expanded you collection. Many of us have been on “the list” since debut with prior AD relationships that have not panned out as planned for this piece. Happy for you!
Old 25 February 2018, 12:20 PM   #17
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The bluesy and cellini are two way different watches. I would encourage your friend to get the watch he really wants.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:25 PM   #18
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I'll add: is he okay having to wait 3-6 months to get his watch? Maybe longer.

There is a good chance that your AD does not have a Daytona in stock and they don't know when one would arrive or what color dial it will be.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:08 PM   #19
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
I'll add: is he okay having to wait 3-6 months to get his watch? Maybe longer.

There is a good chance that your AD does not have a Daytona in stock and they don't know when one would arrive or what color dial it will be.
That’s true! In that case a good ol’ Fashions gentlemen’s promise and handshake for the very next one!!??
Old 25 February 2018, 11:12 PM   #20
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s true! In that case a good ol’ Fashions gentlemen’s promise and handshake for the very next one!!??
Not something I would want to do but good luck. Once they sell the watch to your friend they might forget about the deal you made if another VIP comes in spending more money and asking for a package deal.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:24 PM   #21
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Doubt they have c Moonphase in stock? That matters too whether they’ve already invested the capital in that piece.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:25 PM   #22
Coop13
Banned

Watch: SBGW231, SRP777
This is all a bunch of horse crap.
Coop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:27 PM   #23
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

That’s rough. I’ve sent a few people my ADs way and he gave me a nice discount on a sports piece, AFTER I asked and reminded him of those sales.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
Old 25 February 2018, 11:36 PM   #24
topfuel25
Banned

I bet some ADs are aware of TRF, followed a friend to an AD and they refused to reveal whether they had stock of popular SS models like sd43, Daytona or Lv in their safe or whether they could get him a Daytona C despite him wanting to buy 2 PM models (skyd and gmt full gold) on the spot. Walked out empty handed.

Looks like the ADs are reading and taking precautions
topfuel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:39 PM   #25
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
I would only do it face to face with your friend there ready to buy. They will take you much more seriously if you are standing there with cash in hand.

The AD I originally did businuess with would not even add me to their Daytona list because they said that they had too many people on it already ( I had asked them about the list a few years earlier and they said it was 1-2 years, but they were happy to add me to the list, but I declined as I didn’t love the steel bezel). A week later I was there and 2 of the family members that own the AD were talking about a guy who came in and offered to buy a Platona if they sold him an SS Daytona (I was there when this originally occurred). He was an out of country visitor, so the family member dealing with the fellow said no. When the other family member heard the story she told him that he should have done it. Imagine how I felt standing there with 3 previous Rolex purchases from them and being refused being put on the list!

That is when I realized the list was BS. I called a friend who is a VIP at another AD. He made an introduction for me. I went in, had a nice chat and expressed an interest to buy 2 or 3 watches total including the SS Daytona. They said that they would ‘get me one’, but with no time frame given. A week later, I went in and bought my Son a Sub and mentioned again that I would take a DJ when they got me a Daytona. I then recommended 2 others to them that bought SS models during the next week. 5 weeks after my initial visit, I went in again. This time I was asked if I was prepared to do the ‘2 watch deal”. I said yes and walked out with my Daytona and my wife’s DJ.
This was a horrible business decision. Decline a 75k watch over the safe held d500.
Old 26 February 2018, 03:06 AM   #26
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop13 View Post
This is all a bunch of horse crap.

Agreed.

Part of me wants to play this game. What watch could I pair with that I could flip quickly and no lose little to no money. That would be the question.

-R
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 03:12 AM   #27
drm20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Just one more
Quote:

Wow, can't believe that. At least a personal thank you call or some type of acknowledgement that wouldn't cost them a dime is in order.
drm20 is offline   Reply With Quote