The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 18 November 2008, 03:45 AM   #1
jdsons
"TRF" Member

8500 Question???

I tried a search, with no success. This may be an old question.

I am reading on the new 8500/8501 movements, and the Omega "in power people" are saying they plan on putting this movement in all their watches, soon. Does anyone out there know much about this movement. Is it worth waiting for? The key quality, for me, was it needs very little maintenance. I have also read recently, that watch machanics are getting dangerously low. It will become difficult to get you quaility automatic serviced.

jdsons (Julian)

PS. I am getting most my information out of "Watchtime" magazine's, Omega special.
jdsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 04:57 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Omega is touting the 8500 series of Co-Axial movements as their premier "in-house" movement..

It's been in their Hour Vision model for about a year and I think that they are planning to move it into the line as it will become their flagship movement..

It has:

39 jewels
60 hr power reserve.
Free-sprung balance
25,200 BPH

the earlier 2500 series Co-axial movements were more an experiment, with the add-on co-axial module and free sprung balance to the basic ETA 2892 ebauch, so using that initial experience, they were able to work out the issues and develop the 8500

Expect the prices to double with this new movement..

Here is their press release:

8500 Press Release

The New Seamaster Aqua Terra will come with the 8500 as released at Basel this year:

Basel Seamaster Aqua Terra
Old 18 November 2008, 05:25 AM   #3
jdsons
"TRF" Member

Thanks Tools

It does seem like the movement to have. I will not wait; because, I have to save up know, and a price doubling will take me out of the game. The more I read about Omega the more I want one.

Good Info.
jdsons
Old 18 November 2008, 06:19 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
My personal belief is that when the 8500 starts to move more into the Omega line, we will see the prices at the same level as Rolex...

Perhaps a bit more if they continue with their standard discounts..
Old 18 November 2008, 07:59 AM   #5
jdsons
"TRF" Member

Wow.

I like "the looks (never owned one)" of Rolex;however, way out of my league. My favorite so far has been Omega, I like their style over the other highend watches. I may hit the used watch market in the near future. I know, like most well made things, that a well kept Omega-no matter the age-will last a life time. So I may end up with a vintage Omega, who knows. I will need the help of the rolexforum family to keep me away from the FAKES out there. Tools thanks for helping me, all of us appreciate your wisdom and the others who have taken this passion (hobby) to the next level. Keep up the good work, gang.

jdsons