The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 24 October 2011, 10:32 AM   #1
runs_wscissors

8500 Aqua Terra Reviews

Given the reasonable price point of the 8500 Aqua Terra I keep coming back to consider it. The highly reflective hour indicators catch my eye, which may be a result of the 100 overhead lights at the AD.
Since this will be my first mechanical I enjoy having the exhibition caseback. From what I can tell the 8500 is a movement I can be proud to show off.

I'd like to buy the watch on a bracelet and then switch it to a deployment leather band to start out. My AD says that is a better approach economically.
23113422106001-20.JPGcaseback.jpg

I'd love to hear other owners thoughts on this time piece. I'm targeting the dark grey face with SS case.

thanks in advance
runs_wscissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 06:10 PM   #2
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

Hi there. I think the model you chose looks REALLY nice on the leather strap, and I'm sure it looks equally nice on the bracelet. The movement is new and somewhat "unproven" although technically it has many advanced features. My wife has an Aqua Terra with the 8520 - but we did have some issues with the movement which meant it had to go back to Omega HQ for repair - but this may be just an isolated incident. My 2500C movement in the PO is THE MOST outstandingly accurate mechanical movement I own. Amazingly accurate. Personally, I think Omega make some of the best movements because of its tie-in with ETA - so when they design and manufacture the 8500, I'd be quite confident in its reliability. Good luck and be sure to ask for a discount from some of the trusted resellers on TRF.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2011, 01:52 AM   #3
runs_wscissors

This model doesn't have a screw down crown, correct? One can just wind it with a simple turn of the crown.
Old 25 October 2011, 05:21 AM   #4
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runs_wscissors View Post
This model doesn't have a screw down crown, correct? One can just wind it with a simple turn of the crown.
Nope, it does have a screw down crown and is waterproof to 150m

As for my thoughts, I think it's a great watch. Robust, understated, lovely dial, and quite possibly the best movement money can buy outside of the ultra-exclusive high-end brands. If it had been launched when I was looking for a dressier watch a couple of years back, I would have definitely gone for the Aqua Terra over my 116200 Datejust
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2011, 10:43 AM   #5
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
I tried this and the new PO at the boutique the other day.... Lovely watches!!!!

Specially this one. Although 38.5mm (?), it fits almost like the Datejust. Loved the buckle (unlike the Datejust which has no locking mechanism and pops open with a mild applause)

Omega has definetly repositioned themselves in a great way!
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2011, 03:42 PM   #6
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
The Aqua Terra is, to me, quite a great model for an "only" or a "first" watch. It's a great dress watch but its size makes it a good sport watch as well. As for the bracelet and the strap, it will be a great idea since you'll be able to change it whenever you feel like it.

I'm not an expert in movements but, of course, you can never go wrong with a crystal caseback!
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2011, 12:37 PM   #7
daytonjim
"TRF" Member

At 8500

I've owned mine for just over a month and I can honestly say its the most beautiful watch I own out of the 19 I have. I bought it secondhand from another WUS member who bought it early summer but needed the money for other pursuits. The dark grey dial allows the hands to really stand out, making telling time easy. The case & metal bracelet finish is top-notch and I love the clasp. I find myself taking it off my wrist a couple times a day just to see the 8500 movement thru the back glass. It's averaging just shy of 1 second a day accuracy. I highly recommend this watch. I also own the PO, another great watch for that sportier look.

Jim Roberts
daytonjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2011, 03:09 AM   #8
runs_wscissors

Thank you for the thoughtful responses. I didn't see much discussion on this model and am glad to read people are happy with their AT experiences.

I'm thinking that mounted to a leather stap the AT would be a very reasonable choice for a casual summer day outing and dressy enough to support a suit at work. Since I'll be getting the strap as a second purchase can I get some recommendations on styles, sources, etc? What is the lug dimension I would need? I like the deployment buckle functionality, which the dealer said he could get an Omega unit at reasonable price. What tool would I need to change the bands?

Should I expect some fancy packaging from the AD? Triple boxes, hang tag, etc.

I hope that I don't have to own some sea worthy vessel to be a part of this club.
Old 27 October 2011, 03:19 AM   #9
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
AT is a nice watch, I had a new one with silver dial and 2500 movement. No problems with it. I found I didn't really use the clear caseback after the initial fascination with it wore off.

I took issue with the pointy markers, and ultimately preferred the datejust in my signature over it; yet it still remains a fine watch imo.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2011, 11:22 AM   #10
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
I have owned my AT for almost a couple of years. Mine is with rose gold and SS.
I have had no issues with it whatsoever. I love the looks and its versatility. I didn't by it for others- I bought it for me. It's more formal than my Rolex GMT, but I love em both. I'm no expert, but there were 3 primary reasons I bought this over a similar Rolex: looks, movement and price. In fact, IMO it's a great value vs similar Rolex. Point is, I think the movement brings it above the Rolex. Kind of like the engine of a car.
Get it and enjoy.
Old 28 October 2011, 09:52 AM   #11
UCrazyKid
"TRF" Member

I have the AT8500 in SS Teak Grey dial on bracelet in 41.5mm. I love it! All my other pieces have dropped out of rotation as I find I cannot take it off. The movement is exquisite, silent winding, no vibration, accurate and aesthetically pleasing. The fit and finish is first rate, the bracelet wears fabulously. I do not think you can go wrong. It is very reasonably prices at MSRP when comparing to others in this range and an absolute steal with discounts or pre-owned. It would make a great 1st mechanical/Auto watch. Strap and deployant will will set you back about ~$600, steep in my opinion.

The color of the dial is fantastic. In some lights it is black, in others, grey and even in others a brownish. Makes for a very interesting watch to look at very versatile.

Lug with and corresponding strap size varies with the 38.5 and 41.4mm models. IIRC 41.5 = 21mm and 38.5 = 18mm.

Another place with more Omega traffic to ask your question is forums.watchuseek.com/f20
UCrazyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 06:17 AM   #12
runs_wscissors

Thanks for the link, registered.
Old 29 October 2011, 07:53 AM   #13
Wineman
"TRF" Member

I have the 8500 in my Hour Vision and

1.5 years old and keeps time like a quartz. No problems at all, love the watcha and the movement.
Wineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2011, 08:39 AM   #14
rjwallbridge

Have you considered the Railmaster? Ok, no in-house movement but it does look stunning!
rjwallbridge is offline   Reply With Quote