The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 April 2018, 01:25 AM   #1
nmb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618 LB
Change of tide in supply?

In one of my local ADs windows yesterday,the following;
Steel LN GMT II
Both Polar and Black Explorer IIs
TWO! Milgauss GVs
Both Black and Blue Bimetal Subs
Bimetal GMT (the black one,Not the new one )
Bimetal black Daytona

I have not seen this selection all at once in a Yorkshire AD in a very long time.Not seen a steel GMT in an ADs window in over two years!
Note these are all brand new and the AD in question doesn't put 'spoken for' watches in the window.
Things have got that bad up 'ere' that even bimetal Subs and GMTs were a rare sight,is this a fluke or a sign that things are improving?Did not make a difference to me as it will be a few years before I consider whether I want another Rolex.Guess that is the result of buying my grail,two years in with my 18ct sub and honeymoon still isn't over
nmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 01:26 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
lets hope so.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 01:27 AM   #3
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Of all of these the Steel LN GMT is tricky to get these days.

That shouldn’t hang around long.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 01:30 AM   #4
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
Most of the ones you mentioned are not SS but TT, so not sure if there really is a change afoot.
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 01:38 AM   #5
nmb
"TRF" Member

I agree re the TT,but all together at the same time has been totally unheard of in a long time where I live in the UK.
When I bought my 5 digit Bluesy in the late 90's from an AD,there was a waiting list then for that model!
Generally in the UK previously,IMHO lots of TT models mean steel models are trickling through.At least in my part of the UK,I wouldn't even comment on London the situation there is ridiculous.
Old 16 April 2018, 02:00 AM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
And someone that goes in tomorrow and finds the selection empty will be back here writing how the supply is bad.

The only people that want unlimited inventory are buyers, those who want their values to rise are fine with shortages.

Econ 101
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 03:38 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I don't really get why people are still over-buying the Exps and Milgausses, they will still lose money on flips.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 03:40 AM   #8
Rjongco
"TRF" Member

TTS don’t seem too hard to come by. My local AD did have a deep sea and a black sub date in the case however.
Rjongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 03:40 AM   #9
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I don't really get why people are still over-buying the Exps and Milgausses, they will still lose money on flips.
They are dogs.

Nice watches, but dogs
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 03:42 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Someone coughed up the keys to the back room
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 07:15 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
They are dogs.

Nice watches, but dogs
On these models I think Rolex might be reducing supply, but then with the others MIA surely this is the time to get these out and sold.
Old 16 April 2018, 07:39 AM   #12
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
And someone that goes in tomorrow and finds the selection empty will be back here writing how the supply is bad.

The only people that want unlimited inventory are buyers, those who want their values to rise are fine with shortages.

Econ 101
Bingo.
Old 16 April 2018, 08:05 AM   #13
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
I remember seeing a ‘watch expert’ saying that they tipped Rolex to release the explorer ii with a ceramic bezel. It didn’t happen obviously but the mock-up he showed of the watch with new bezel totally changed it. 100% improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 08:07 AM   #14
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmb View Post

Bimetal black Daytona
TT are less desirable and readily available
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 08:09 AM   #15
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post
I remember seeing a ‘watch expert’ saying that they tipped Rolex to release the explorer ii with a ceramic bezel. It didn’t happen obviously but the mock-up he showed of the watch with new bezel totally changed it. 100% improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be an intersting change.

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 08:12 AM   #16
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
They are dogs.

Nice watches, but dogs
I DO so love, a well observed, finely crafted, critique!
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 08:50 AM   #17
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Quote:
Steel LN GMT II
Both Polar and Black Explorer IIs
TWO! Milgauss GVs
Bimetal black Daytona

I have not seen this selection all at once in a Yorkshire AD in a very long time.Not seen a steel GMT in an ADs window in over two years!
Note these are all brand new and the AD in question doesn't put 'spoken for' watches in the window.
Things have got that bad up 'ere' that even bimetal Subs and GMTs were a rare sight,is this a fluke or a sign that things are improving?Did not make a difference to me as it will be a few years before I consider whether I want another Rolex.Guess that is the result of buying my grail,two years in with my 18ct sub and honeymoon still isn't over
That's not unusual to see here in Canada. In Canada, you can add a Sub Date and SubND to that list of model's you'd see in the typical AD display case.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 08:52 AM   #18
Sal_UKSheffield
"TRF" Member

Where abouts in yorkshire?
Sal_UKSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 03:17 PM   #19
nmb
"TRF" Member

PM me if you are serious already had two messages enquiring,sorry for the delay,I work nights.
Old 16 April 2018, 05:01 PM   #20
seadweller43
Banned

i think not until one day we see at least the black sub date in the dislay case can one say the supply trend has changed.
seadweller43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 11:05 PM   #21
Pudsey bear
"TRF" Member

Well, I just spoke to the AD as Nigel (nmb) kindly told me which AD it was. They said the GMT was never on the window and there is a long waiting list for it which is closed. And there was me thinking I had a chance lol...

Thanks Nigel anyway.
Pudsey bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 11:08 PM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey bear View Post
Well, I just spoke to the AD as Nigel (nmb) kindly told me which AD it was. They said the GMT was never on the window and there is a long waiting list for it which is closed. And there was me thinking I had a chance lol...

Thanks Nigel anyway.
I think Rolex have been encouraging ADs to put SS in the windows, at least for a few days, even if there are wait lists, as otherwise the whole Rolex machine looks shambolic and inefficient and us lot constantly showing empty AD windows is not helping.
Old 16 April 2018, 11:10 PM   #23
Pudsey bear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think Rolex have been encouraging ADs to put SS in the windows, at least for a few days, even if there are wait lists, as otherwise the whole place looks shambolic and us lot constantly showing empty AD windows is not helping.
That was my initial thoughts too when I got a response back. Of course, I have no reason to believe nmb was lying in his OP.
Old 16 April 2018, 11:35 PM   #24
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
Rare to see even TT sports in AD windows now. In fact, saw a 116613LB in Leicester Goldsmiths last week which was not something I'd spotted for a long time. Didn't last long either.

I'd rather buy PM pieces anyway, so the drought wouldn't affect my purchase decisions...Just a shame I can't afford a nice PM right now! :/
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 11:45 PM   #25
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
I think Rolex have been encouraging ADs to put SS in the windows, at least for a few days, even if there are wait lists, as otherwise the whole Rolex machine looks shambolic and inefficient and us lot constantly showing empty AD windows is not helping.
If they put it in window display, and walk in customers asked and can't buy, they are going to get upset. No? I think recently, there's a thread on this.

In my part of the world ( Asia ), practically everything being displayed is either DJ or DD, with some occasional Exp2 or Milgauss, almost never a professional SS sports model.
Old 17 April 2018, 12:08 AM   #26
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
It wouldn’t surprise me if there were Tide shortages with all those kids eating Tide pods.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 12:09 AM   #27
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Every AD I've been in the past several months have Exp2 and milgausses in stock along with no date subs. On another happy note, I just received a text that an AD I use is receiving a shipment of Rolex watches this week. I'm curious what they're getting. May have to take a ride up there next week and check it out.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 12:18 AM   #28
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
It wouldn’t surprise me if there were Tide shortages with all those kids eating Tide pods.
Well, both the Rolex SS wait list and Tide tablets leave a sour taste in the mouth
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 01:37 AM   #29
nmb
"TRF" Member

Now this is interesting,watch was there and I wasn't dreaming.They do not put watches in window that are spoken for.I bet this is because it was a phone enquiry.I bought a BLNR from this dealer and had a choice between that and a sub LV.Both were in the window.The tale I got was they phoned everyone on the list for the BLNR and no one was ready to purchase.
One AD I deal with is paranoid about selling to anyone out of the area,particularly anyone from London due to flippers.I thought Fraser Hart may be a little different,obviously not.
Further to my original post,TT subs especially the bluesy are a rare sight in the UK,I know that must seem unbelievable to our friends across the pond,but the UK really feels like "The land that Rolex forgot"
Old 17 April 2018, 02:52 AM   #30
Pudsey bear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now this is interesting,watch was there and I wasn't dreaming.They do not put watches in window that are spoken for.I bet this is because it was a phone enquiry.I bought a BLNR from this dealer and had a choice between that and a sub LV.Both were in the window.The tale I got was they phoned everyone on the list for the BLNR and no one was ready to purchase.
One AD I deal with is paranoid about selling to anyone out of the area,particularly anyone from London due to flippers.I thought Fraser Hart may be a little different,obviously not.
Further to my original post,TT subs especially the bluesy are a rare sight in the UK,I know that must seem unbelievable to our friends across the pond,but the UK really feels like "The land that Rolex forgot"
No of course I don't doubt you mate. How common is it to see BLNRs and Hulks on the window (EDIT: or was that a long time ago)? I might go up there if Subs/GMTs are common to see in the window.

I agree with you though that ADs aren't keen on enquiries of popular watches by phone calls or emails.