The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 May 2019, 09:21 PM   #1
perfectblue10
"TRF" Member

Need some help - Rolex 1603/0 black face - refurb question

Hello all,

My grandfather left me his Rolex 1603/0 Oyster Datejust (1967) with steel wristband and black face. It's been in a box for the last 20 years and recently I had it serviced by Rolex. They replaced the bracelet, case back, oscillating weight and serviced it. All together is cost £1,654 GBP.

I didn't know they'd do this but they kept the old bracelet, etc! I asked the shop for the old parts back but they said Rolex keep them. I'm a bit concerned about this. Should I contact Rolex to ask for them back? Is this normal practice for Rolex to keep old parts?

Also I had it serviced to sell it but I've no idea how much it's worth. Any ideas? I don't have the original box but do have the service receipt, a Rolex poach, and the plastic stickers Rolex put to protect the strap and sides are still on the watch. See attached pictures. And any recommendations for UK based places I could contact to sell it?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Sam

Rolex1.JPG

Rolex2.JPG
perfectblue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 05:15 AM   #2
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Parts from Rolex are always on an exchange basis, they always keep the old part.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 07:29 AM   #3
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

This is rolex policy. EST to send it In on a leather strap and keep the original band next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2019, 11:22 AM   #4
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Please refer to my signature...
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 11:40 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I'm sorry, Sam, I wish you had asked a question before sending the watch to Rolex. Your 1,654 GBP expenditure has probably not increased the value of your watch at all. The fact that it was serviced is good, but the loss of the original case-back and bracelet will hurt the collectible value a bit.

It is rarely cost-effective to service a watch for a sale, and especially not if you pay the exorbitant price charged by Rolex.
Old 16 May 2019, 08:33 PM   #6
bieb1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
I just saw a reply from a London based forum member in another thread, who says that Rolex (or RSC) can make an exception to their rule of keeping parts. It may be worth a try to go back, explain it is your grandfathers watch and for emotional reasons would like his old bracelet back. If the old case-back had an engraving or dedication to your grandfather, you could also ask for that back. If not stick to the bracelet. A general “can I get my parts back” always gets a NO answer. Best not mention you want to sell it....
bieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 01:18 AM   #7
perfectblue10
"TRF" Member

Thank you. That's really useful.

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieb1 View Post
I just saw a reply from a London based forum member in another thread, who says that Rolex (or RSC) can make an exception to their rule of keeping parts. It may be worth a try to go back, explain it is your grandfathers watch and for emotional reasons would like his old bracelet back. If the old case-back had an engraving or dedication to your grandfather, you could also ask for that back. If not stick to the bracelet. A general “can I get my parts back” always gets a NO answer. Best not mention you want to sell it....
Old 18 May 2019, 01:21 AM   #8
perfectblue10
"TRF" Member

Thanks for letting me know Dan. We took the watch to a Rolex dealer and asked for their advice. The bracelet was really stretched/worn and they advised us to get it serviced. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Wish I'd have known about this forum before we sent it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I'm sorry, Sam, I wish you had asked a question before sending the watch to Rolex. Your 1,654 GBP expenditure has probably not increased the value of your watch at all. The fact that it was serviced is good, but the loss of the original case-back and bracelet will hurt the collectible value a bit.

It is rarely cost-effective to service a watch for a sale, and especially not if you pay the exorbitant price charged by Rolex.
Old 18 May 2019, 01:31 AM   #9
perfectblue10
"TRF" Member

Thank you!

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieb1 View Post