The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2011, 05:14 AM   #1
usbzoso
Banned

Watch: 16610/16600/16800
Bracelet Stretch

Hello everyone. My first post on the forum. I am proud owner of Rolex Sub Date and Rolex Explorer II. Both watches are using Oyster style bracelet that many people believe are prone to stretch since they use hollow links. I read an interesting thread once where experts on steel who do a lot of similar testing on properties of steel stretching and said that its a myth that the bracelet is actually being stretched. The theory they provided to explain the stretch effect on the bracelet was that dirt and grime was literally eating away at the stainless steel. Recommendation was to keep your bracelet clean and it will not "stretch". They also recommended getting your bracelet cleaned at least once every 6 month using Sonic Cleaner as the best option.

Anyone else can confirm this theory?

Thanks!
usbzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2011, 05:35 AM   #2
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
If you search on the Forum you'll fond plenty of older threads discussing stretch. This is my interpretation:

1. It isn't really stretch, just wear between the pins and the metal.
2. All stainless wears less than tt or all gold.
3. Jubilee bracelets tend to be more susceptible to stretch than oyters.
4. Because grime can trap grit and grit can become abrasive, keeping the grime from developing is helpful. Therefore, clean the bracelet, once in a while.
5. Any kind of mild soap works fine. I use a jewelry cleaning liquid occasionally, and brush with a soft toothbrush (my wife's).
6. I've seen other folks write that a sonic cleaner is a no-no. I personally think it is overkill and not necessary.
7. Nothing I've heard says that cleaning a bracelet is something for a professional, rather than yourself.
8. My experience with older Rolex, as well as, newer ones, is that stretch takes a long time to happen and isn't something to be much concerned about.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2011, 05:39 AM   #3
Medtech

Watch: it buddy!
The removable links on an older Sub bracelet actually have plastic inserts that wear down.

Do the permanent links have inserts in them as well??
Medtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2011, 05:44 AM   #4
usbzoso
Banned

Watch: 16610/16600/16800
Sonic cleaner can get inside the places where your toothbrush can't exactly the places where most "stretch" effect occurs, between pins. Isn't it what professional jewelers use? Why would it be a no-no? Of course you must detach the watch from the bracelet before putting the bracelet through the sonic cleaner.
usbzoso is offline   Reply With Quote