The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 January 2019, 09:45 AM   #1
RoloRonnie
"TRF" Member

No Date SubC vs. 5-Digit Polar Exp II

I have a no-date SUBc (114060) that I’ve had for over a year. Had my eye on it forever and love the fit of it, especially the Glidelock. Still enjoy wearing it and still catch myself just staring the dial from time to time. Bought it from an AD with the intent of having it for life and passing it down one day.

I do work in an office setting. While there are plenty there that make much more than me, drive nicer cars, etc. - very few of my co-workers are into watches. Most wear Apple watches, FitBit, etc.

I’ve had 3-4 comments recently about my Sub - nothing bad, just acknowledged that it was a Rolex. I’m a little self conscience of the “bling” on it (although my wife tells me it’s just in my head).

I have a friend (doesn’t work with me) who has a 5-Digit Explorer II. I’ve been looking at them the last few months. It seems like it doesn’t jump out to you so much as. Rolex, but in the end that’s what it is.

My question is to those of you that have owned or do own both a SubC and a 16570:

Does the Polar really fly that much further under the radar to where it gets noticeably less attention? Enough so that you would consider a trade if you were in my shoes?

Would be interested in hearing any thoughts. I think both are great watches.
RoloRonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 09:47 AM   #2
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
The 16570 is much less recognizable as a Rolex without question. I also find for my slender wrists it feels and fits better.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 09:50 AM   #3
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
I am in your shoes, having an 114060, and would I consider a trade? Hell no, not a chance. If you do insist on trading, then let me suggest that you consider the Explorer I.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 09:54 AM   #4
NYRolexx
"TRF" Member

I have a 114060 and I don't find it to be too flashy. The TT models seem to get a lot more attention
NYRolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 09:55 AM   #5
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I wear both in a rotation. No one has commented on either. Dig both of them. I do not think most people notice or care.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:12 AM   #6
BT1985
"TRF" Member

I have owned a SubC (which I swapped for an SD4K, no fault of the Sub which is a great watch) and own a 16570 Polar. I view them as the perfect pair. Polar is more under the radar and comfortable but the sub is a sub and the fact that I can use a ridiculous phrase like “a sub is a sub” and you all know what I mean shows how much of an institution it is. Don’t sell the sub, you will regret it. Who cares if people notice. I don’t know about you but I am not going to wear lesser watches to appease people who probably don’t care anyway. If they do care, it’s not your problem their wrist game is garbage. Add the polar though. It’s awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:16 AM   #7
mineral
"TRF" Member

The non date sub is my favorite design but the new subC with the supercase stop me from owning it. For sub model I prefer the older model like vintage four digits or five digits sub.

I also own few explorer II including the five digits and I like the slimmer case more and find them more proportional in term of size.

If you have smaller wrist i would recommend the explorer II for sure.

Old 17 January 2019, 10:17 AM   #8
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
So glad I don’t work in an office and deal with all the petty nonsense.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:22 AM   #9
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Nothing blingy about a 114060. It's my favorite reference, thick lugs and all.
Old 17 January 2019, 10:39 AM   #10
R!$
Banned

I prefer the 14060
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:44 AM   #11
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
I wear both in a rotation. No one has commented on either. Dig both of them. I do not think most people notice or care.
yup... I'd stick with the ND Sub... though
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:57 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
I have owned a SubC (which I swapped for an SD4K, no fault of the Sub which is a great watch) and own a 16570 Polar. I view them as the perfect pair. Polar is more under the radar and comfortable but the sub is a sub and the fact that I can use a ridiculous phrase like “a sub is a sub” and you all know what I mean shows how much of an institution it is. Don’t sell the sub, you will regret it. Who cares if people notice. I don’t know about you but I am not going to wear lesser watches to appease people who probably don’t care anyway. If they do care, it’s not your problem their wrist game is garbage. Add the polar though. It’s awesome.

Great looking shots
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 11:32 AM   #13
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
If you love the modern glidelock you will not like the clasp of a five digit explorer ii.

Maverick_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 11:32 AM   #14
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Love the 16570 total class
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 11:47 AM   #15
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post
Nothing blingy about a 114060. It's my favorite reference, thick lugs and all.
I'm of the exact opposite opinion. The large expanses of unbroken black ceramic make close to a perfect mirror and are eye catching. That is one of the things that to me sets the SD4K apart; it's not nearly as eye catching (nor does it have the big boxy shape of the SubC). Combine the insert's reflectivity with the shininess of the crystal and it's definitely "blingy." That's fine if that's what one's after.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 11:55 AM   #16
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I'm of the exact opposite opinion. The large expanses of unbroken black ceramic make close to a perfect mirror and are eye catching. That is one of the things that to me sets the SD4K apart; it's not nearly as eye catching (nor does it have the big boxy shape of the SubC). Combine the insert's reflectivity with the shininess of the crystal and it's definitely "blingy." That's fine if that's what one's after.
Yeah, in terms of bling, there's a huge difference between the Submariner and SD4K...
Old 17 January 2019, 11:58 AM   #17
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Great looking shots

Thanks! You should like them since that format/backdrop is straight from the brandrea WRUW daily thread playbook. Morning wrist check before driving into the office has become automatic thanks to you! Cheers.

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:11 PM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
Thanks! You should like them since that format/backdrop is straight from the brandrea WRUW daily thread playbook. Morning wrist check before driving into the office has become automatic thanks to you! Cheers.

Your too kind brother

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:34 PM   #19
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoloRonnie View Post
I have a no-date SUBc (114060) that I’ve had for over a year. Had my eye on it forever and love the fit of it, especially the Glidelock. Still enjoy wearing it and still catch myself just staring the dial from time to time. Bought it from an AD with the intent of having it for life and passing it down one day.

I do work in an office setting. While there are plenty there that make much more than me, drive nicer cars, etc. - very few of my co-workers are into watches. Most wear Apple watches, FitBit, etc.

I’ve had 3-4 comments recently about my Sub - nothing bad, just acknowledged that it was a Rolex. I’m a little self conscience of the “bling” on it (although my wife tells me it’s just in my head).

I have a friend (doesn’t work with me) who has a 5-Digit Explorer II. I’ve been looking at them the last few months. It seems like it doesn’t jump out to you so much as. Rolex, but in the end that’s what it is.

My question is to those of you that have owned or do own both a SubC and a 16570:

Does the Polar really fly that much further under the radar to where it gets noticeably less attention? Enough so that you would consider a trade if you were in my shoes?

Would be interested in hearing any thoughts. I think both are great watches.
I’m shocked that anyone even commented on a no date Sub because there is nothing blingy about it at all. I too work in an office and received more comments on a $75 Fossil than my Sub.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:55 PM   #20
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Keep the Sub and buy a Grand Seiko. Your coworkers will never figure THAT one out!
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:57 PM   #21
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
I’m shocked that anyone even commented on a no date Sub because there is nothing blingy about it at all. I too work in an office and received more comments on a $75 Fossil than my Sub.
For the people who know though it's extremely easy to spot.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:00 PM   #22
squrrlz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270, 16570

I just got a 16570. I’ve been wearing it once or twice a week to work and it’s my weekend/ traveling watch. I also have an Exp I that is on my wrist another 2-3 days at work and it flys under the radar. It has only has ever been noticed by other watch people and it is a joy to look at (I also catch myself staring at the dial).

So I think having the Exp ii in rotation with the sub would work or consider an Exp I.

There are also some other great less expensive watches you could pick up to wear at work depending on your style. Stowa, a Tudor, omegas. But I’d say you can’t go wrong with an exp ii.

squrrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:23 PM   #23
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I have a pre-ceramic Sub and a 16570 Polar. Polar definitely flies under the radar more as it doesn't have the "Rolex" look. No one has ever said anything about my 16570 being a Rolex, but the Sub screams Rolex IMO if that bothers you.

They compliment each other very well, and I wouldn't trade/sell your SubC for it. Keep the SubC regardless of what you decide.
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:24 PM   #24
Aymara59
"TRF" Member

Keep the SubC! You can always add another Rolex. I have the SubC and it is awesome!
Aymara59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 02:34 PM   #25
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
I am in your shoes, having an 114060, and would I consider a trade? Hell no, not a chance. If you do insist on trading, then let me suggest that you consider the Explorer I.
I have been looking at a Polar Explorer II and hopefully will add one in the future.
It is a beautiful watch but I would not trade your 114060 for it.
I agree that you might consider an Explorer I, 214270.
My two Rolex favorites, I like them equally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A5F9EECC-DA00-4B84-8521-B00935E7321A.jpeg (283.2 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by Oldfellow; 17 January 2019 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Typo
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 12:17 AM   #26
Maiden
"TRF" Member

I will give you my thoughts as you asked. I do not mean to sound critical but just some frank thoughts.

The fact you feel people noticing a SS Rolex makes you a bit uncomfortable, makes me think this is more of an issue of brand awareness vs bling. You seem to be concerned about what others will think of you for wearing a Rolex. While many here will think this is something you should not be concerned about (myself included) none of us has the right to tell you how to feel.

Lets look at your proposed solution, buying a Polar Explorer. While you could technically argue its a little less "blingy" it is still a Rolex, and that beautiful crisp polar dial is very noticeable. Given you have already worn the sub and it has been noticed, how do you handle the question when you are asked about the Explorer II, as that nice popping white dial will be out there? Here is how it could go down.

Co Worker: Hey mate, nice white watch. What is it what happened to the old one?

You: (option one) Its a Rolex Exp II (so there goes under the radar)

You: (option two) Its a Rolex Exp II , I sold the old one as I was hoping no one would notice this as a Rolex so you and others wont be petty and pre judge me on my choice of wrist watch. I figured I could fool you all.

Sorry to be a little cheeky here but this whole "under the radar" thing is ridiculous, its one thing to compare SS to Solid Gold and diamonds, but to be ashamed of the brand is
pushing it.

To me, the point of enjoying ANY watch is to be able to look at it and have a smile on your face. If ANY watch brings me negative feelings, why on earth would I own it. I think you should take stock and think if Rolex is really right for you? There is no law that says that it has to be. For the money you spend on a Sub there are several fantastic brands out there that may bring smile to your face, you can be proud to own, and not feel self concious about.

Good luck.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 01:13 AM   #27
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Personal opinion obviously:
Sell the Sub.
It's blingy with the shiny black bezel, it screams look at me, I wear rolex. Also, everybody has one. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
That is why I will never own one. Plus it doesn't have a GMT function.

How about the Black dial six digit Explorer II? My personal daily wearer.

I am also considering adding an Explorer I to go with my Explorer II. What a combo that would be!
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:07 AM   #28
pigman08
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,16710,214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
If you do insist on trading, then let me suggest that you consider the Explorer I.

Definitely agree with this... You’re already accustomed to not having the date function, so an Explorer would be an easy transition. The new Explorer is my favorite among my three watch collection. It’s so low-key and subtle, and I find it much easier to read than my five digit GMT and Sub-Date.

♛- Yet to be determined, but a white 16520 is on the short list. (I believe that I'll be able to read it better than my old 116520)
pigman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:47 AM   #29
mixxmaster
Banned

The polar ex II white dial is stunning as hell
mixxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 03:27 AM   #30
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
The 16570 is much less recognizable as a Rolex without question. I also find for my slender wrists it feels and fits better.
Agree. The Sub is iconic, and the Explorer II isn't (yet). I personally prefer the case dimensions and profile of the 16570 over the SubC.
Vinyasa is offline   Reply With Quote