The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 May 2018, 04:45 AM   #1
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
IWC 3714, ICON or a depreciating relic of the past?

The IWC portuguese used to be the iconic IWC of the mid to late 2000s, however it seems to be taking a bath on the preowned market.

Good buying opportunity or is this a reflection of waning popularity??
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 07:27 AM   #2
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Don't buy IWC if you plan on reselling. They have always been poor on the resale market. BTW, love the 3714 and have one myself, but the amount of cash you can get out of it is next to nothing so might as well keep it.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 08:26 AM   #3
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Great question. I used to think the chrono and 5001 were two of the most beautiful watches out there in their heyday, but I have zero interest in them at the moment.

Amazing how your tastes can change over time like that.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 08:43 AM   #4
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I love the Portuguese chrono, I think it’s a great buy pre owned
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 11:01 AM   #5
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

I bought it preowned myself for roughly ~4K usd and was thinking of flipping it to find another purchase, but tbh it's not worth it. It's still a classic design and will stand the rest of time

Value propositions for IWC gets murky when it comes to their higher end pieces like 5001 or the portuguese classic
Old 30 May 2018, 03:33 PM   #6
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Hardly a relic, it might not be the "hot" watch, but it is a very attractive classic. As you bought pre owned, you'll be fine, most brands take a similar price trajectory on the used market, but then they settle down
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 03:56 PM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i like them and their resale is probably par for the course on 99% of all used watches. Daytonas and Nautilus are the exception, not the rule. If a watch's resale is worse than the few exceptions, its not bad, its normal. We have changed our definition of normal IMO.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 09:24 PM   #8
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

In the past decade the WIS community has exploded and prices of some pieces for better or for worse have inflated beyond reason (we all know the ones)
But this influx of price increase has also changed our perception of what's valuable
IWC I feel like is a great buying opportunity if one finds the aesthetics attractive
Old 1 June 2018, 05:19 PM   #9
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotaco View Post
In the past decade the WIS community has exploded and prices of some pieces for better or for worse have inflated beyond reason (we all know the ones)
But this influx of price increase has also changed our perception of what's valuable
IWC I feel like is a great buying opportunity if one finds the aesthetics attractive
This is, honestly, my main criteria for buying most things, especially watches.
Price obviously complicates that somewhat, but there are hundreds of lovely, affordable, available timepieces out there, if you're ok with people not gasping in awe filled recognition at your wrist....
Old 2 June 2018, 05:41 AM   #10
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
This is, honestly, my main criteria for buying most things, especially watches.
Price obviously complicates that somewhat, but there are hundreds of lovely, affordable, available timepieces out there, if you're ok with people not gasping in awe filled recognition at your wrist....

Price, servicing cost, and how it works in the rest of my collection is what comes down to for me

The Portuguese was very sought after around 2003-2010 and even in preowned markets was a safe bet for value retention, and the all of a sudden, nothing

Maybe the John Mayer article
Old 1 June 2018, 05:40 PM   #11
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I have been looking at the IWC 5001-07 for a long time.

The white dial with the steel blue hands are a nice combo and my lovely wife would buy me one tomorrow.

The only issues I have are the thickness, the service availability in Oz and of course the rate of exchange.

But I am still interested.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 05:38 AM   #12
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

They are out there if you look
DSW had a couple around 6.5k usd a few months ago
Old 2 June 2018, 02:34 PM   #13
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I think the 3714 is still IWC's best selling watch and I consider it to be the classic IWC. I have no doubt it will stand the test of time. I've had mine for almost fifteen years and I consider it to be a modern classic, even if it's not as "hot" as it once was. Pre-owned they're a great deal and its a great looking, versatile watch that is well made. I think they'll go to an in-house caliber with a display back in the future, which might reinvigorate the model.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 11:05 PM   #14
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I think the 3714 is still IWC's best selling watch and I consider it to be the classic IWC. I have no doubt it will stand the test of time. I've had mine for almost fifteen years and I consider it to be a modern classic, even if it's not as "hot" as it once was. Pre-owned they're a great deal and its a great looking, versatile watch that is well made. I think they'll go to an in-house caliber with a display back in the future, which might reinvigorate the model.
and then maybe the Valjoux movements will become collectible for their vintage 1990's "wobble"
Old 9 June 2018, 08:30 PM   #15
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 150th anniversary version does now have an in-house movement and a display back ! Hopefully these updates will be carried across the whole line.

Old 4 June 2018, 03:17 AM   #16
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotaco View Post
The IWC portuguese used to be the iconic IWC of the mid to late 2000s, however it seems to be taking a bath on the preowned market.

Good buying opportunity or is this a reflection of waning popularity??
Glad you raised this subject........I'm actually debating whether to pull the trigger on one-- the 3714-91.

My 'dilemma' (1st world problems, I know) is whether to get the 3714 plus the PAM 682-- a great 1-2 combo in my mind given how the submersible can be worn casually, coupled with the fact that I love the smaller size and the 1950's case.......and the 3714 is one of the very few chronos I love. I especially like the fact that it is a dressy chrono I can wear to work and on suits.
OR........ wait for the Daytona-C, white dial, which I know for sure I'm up for next at my local AD, and which I believe they will get in the next 3-6 months, if not sooner.

I currently have the PAM 1312, which I love, and the Hulk, which I also love.
I've never loved the previous 5 digit SS Daytona, until I saw a PM version in RG about 2 years ago on oyster flex , which was stunning to me, along with the WG version.
Having said that, the SS version with the new ceramic bezel and contrasted black sub-dials against the white dial is something to behold from the pics I've seen, even though I'm not sure it makes me go 'wow'.
The advantage of the Daytona C is of course that I can wear it for a couple of years and if I haven't grown to love it the way I do my Hulk, I can sell it at essentially what I paid for it, if to a couple of thousand more.
The 2 watch IWC and PAM combo would be close to the same price new (with a 15-20% discount) as the Daytona C, but I know for sure I will lose at least 30% of their value if I decide to sell them down the road, even accounting for the discount.

In a couple of weeks I will visit the IWC and Panerai boutiques and hope to be able to see both of these watches in person. If they make me go wow, I think that I should follow that rather than be concerned about value retention, and the fact that the Daytona makes more sense.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:08 PM   #17
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
Glad you raised this subject........I'm actually debating whether to pull the trigger on one-- the 3714-91.

My 'dilemma' (1st world problems, I know) is whether to get the 3714 plus the PAM 682-- a great 1-2 combo in my mind given how the submersible can be worn casually, coupled with the fact that I love the smaller size and the 1950's case.......and the 3714 is one of the very few chronos I love. I especially like the fact that it is a dressy chrono I can wear to work and on suits.
OR........ wait for the Daytona-C, white dial, which I know for sure I'm up for next at my local AD, and which I believe they will get in the next 3-6 months, if not sooner.

I currently have the PAM 1312, which I love, and the Hulk, which I also love.
I've never loved the previous 5 digit SS Daytona, until I saw a PM version in RG about 2 years ago on oyster flex , which was stunning to me, along with the WG version.
Having said that, the SS version with the new ceramic bezel and contrasted black sub-dials against the white dial is something to behold from the pics I've seen, even though I'm not sure it makes me go 'wow'.
The advantage of the Daytona C is of course that I can wear it for a couple of years and if I haven't grown to love it the way I do my Hulk, I can sell it at essentially what I paid for it, if to a couple of thousand more.
The 2 watch IWC and PAM combo would be close to the same price new (with a 15-20% discount) as the Daytona C, but I know for sure I will lose at least 30% of their value if I decide to sell them down the road, even accounting for the discount.

In a couple of weeks I will visit the IWC and Panerai boutiques and hope to be able to see both of these watches in person. If they make me go wow, I think that I should follow that rather than be concerned about value retention, and the fact that the Daytona makes more sense.
I would wait for the Daytona and add the other two later.
Old 11 June 2018, 10:58 AM   #18
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would wait for the Daytona and add the other two later.
Hmmmm....... this will require quite a bit of patience, lol.

I'm going to see how I feel about the watches next week when I hopefully get to see them both
Old 9 June 2018, 07:34 AM   #19
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

If you can get your hands on it the Daytona would be a solid investment

A 3714 would be a great addition to add versatility
Old 10 June 2018, 12:15 AM   #20
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I traded one in towards a Bluesy last week. It was a little big for my 6.5 inch wrist. It isn’t a dress watch or a sports watch. It’s a tweener. I admired it for ten years before I obtained one, but I wasn’t wearing it.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 02:10 AM   #21
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
The 150th anniversary version does now have an in-house movement and a display back ! Hopefully these updates will be carried across the whole line.

That's what I was thinking as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
I traded one in towards a Bluesy last week. It was a little big for my 6.5 inch wrist. It isn’t a dress watch or a sports watch. It’s a tweener. I admired it for ten years before I obtained one, but I wasn’t wearing it.
It does wear large due to its 41mm size and especially because of the very thin bezel and large dial. For me, it's right on the border of having too much dial for my 6.7" wrist but it looks okay except in formal situations. I also agree that it's not quite a dress watch but it's definitely not a sports watch. I'm generally not a fan of most "tweener" watches but the Portuguese seems to be the exception because it's quite versatile, working perfectly for me for casual to business casual dress and could even be worn with a suit in pinch.

It's interesting that you traded yours toward a Bluesy because to me that's also a "tweener" watch, albeit a more extroverted one.
Old 11 June 2018, 10:57 AM   #22
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting. I too have a 6.5" wrist, but also get away wearing a PAM 1312, which is probably pushing it.

You're the second person I've heard say that the IWC at 41mm wears big, b/c the bezel is so thin, I presume.

Regarding being a tweener, I guess I've always seen it as a dressy chrono, which means it can be worn with a suit if so desired. And as you've said, the old rules are being abandoned, as people are wearing subs on suits these days.
Old 10 June 2018, 10:42 AM   #23
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

I think of the Bluesy as a sports watch. I wouldn’t wear it to work or with a suit. But I think these old “rules” have been abandoned. Just personally preferred the Bluesy, but I do admire the Portuguese.
Old 11 June 2018, 08:09 AM   #24
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think of the Bluesy as a sports watch. I wouldn’t wear it to work or with a suit. But I think these old “rules” have been abandoned. Just personally preferred the Bluesy, but I do admire the Portuguese.
Yes, the Bluesy is definitely sporty but the gold and sunburst dial dresses it up a bit.

Archie Luxury says that any analog watch is a dress watch these days and that's probably true to some degree. I do see a lot of sport watches worn with suits these days and gold toned watches on leather or faux alligator straps worn with shorts and a t-shirt, so the rules are most certainly looser today.
Old 12 June 2018, 06:55 AM   #25
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

I had a Panerai 005. At 44mm, I thought it was too big. Flipped it.

The Portuguese does wear big due to its thin bezel. It’s a very attractive watch, but my credo is if I’m not wearing it, get something that I will wear.

My sweet spot is 38-40mm. The Rolex sports watches fit me well.
Old 13 June 2018, 07:08 AM   #26
Ragnarok
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3714 Portugieser
You can put k up a bnib for 5.2 at least that's what I paid earlier this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 07:29 AM   #27
Skanse
"TRF" Member

It’s a great watch. I don’t have the feeling it wears big on my 6.6’ wrist

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2018, 08:45 PM   #28
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Great watch and has been in my collection for a few years
I do find it boring sometimes until I wear it for a few days and realize how thorough the craftsmanship is...the applied numberal, the domed crystal, the thin chrono hand and the recessed sundials creating an illusion of thinly scooped vanilla bean ice cream...mmm yummy

I think unless the cash is really tight, keep it ones collection and wait till the eyes get weak so the big dial becomes a strong suit
Old 13 June 2018, 09:15 PM   #29
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have always liked IWC but have never owned one until a month or so ago when I picked up a Pilot Chronograph. I am impressed with the watch and the bracelet and it is a pleasure to wear. Will I have two in the collection? Probably not but one is good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180504_163653 (002).jpg (208.3 KB, 237 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 11:27 PM   #30
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

gorgeous piece