The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 August 2014, 10:23 PM   #121
texex91
"TRF" Member

Just when I think my jaw cannot drop any further....wow!
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2014, 11:20 PM   #122
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Awesome Ben - agree this is a mind-blowing piece. P with black face for me, followed by R black face. 5208P and 6002G next I guess!
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2014, 01:11 AM   #123
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Thanks Ben. I've been looking forward to read this all day. Great post.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2014, 02:52 AM   #124
orangedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP, Rolex
By the end of Ben's posting, this thread should be re-edited into one complete post and made a sticky!
Superb read… Thanks!
orangedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2014, 06:21 AM   #125
Oryx
"TRF" Member

excellent thread - thanks for taking the time and making the effort to post this.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2014, 07:11 AM   #126
regnant
"TRF" Member

I am blessed to see this thread
Thanks for the pics and the time repeaters' videos . REVOLUTION interviewed Juan Carlos Torres too (Vacheron Constantin's CEO) . He was bragging about how unique Vacheron Minute repeater was but Patek seems to have more model available at their inventory
Keep these coming
Happy Days
regnant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2014, 09:12 AM   #127
gregvisser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
It is highly doubtful your AD had a 5074 in the case just sitting there. You may be mistaken.
Could be. I'll have to walk past again this week to confirm (or otherwise). Sometimes strange things happen down here in the South Pacific.....

Greg
gregvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2014, 09:38 PM   #128
kuota_kalibur
"TRF" Member

One of the best threads!!

More please!!!
kuota_kalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2014, 11:38 PM   #129
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Patek 5208P Triple Complication Grand Complication

The final piece that I will show here, is also Patek’s 2nd most complicated timepiece ever made. A piece so complicated to make and so rare, that they are almost never seen in any public setting until now at the Patek Geneva Salon. Even so, I had my reservations which I did not sound out that this is not a full fledge piece but a working prototype. Anyway, here you go, the watch that makes all PP Collectors drool, the ultimate grail watch, Patek Perpetual Calendar Chronograph Minute Repeater reference 5208P in platinum.

According to Mdm Marielle, the watch for security reasons had been “protected” by the watch maker to prevent any accidental adjustments that might damage to the movement so I can’t actually tried out the chronograph or test out the minute repeater. Quite a shame actually but I can understand the necessity for this course of action considering that this is a million dollar timepiece. However, I do get to see and try out the watch on the wrist and also peek at the gorgeously decorated movement.

The watch housed the ultra complicated Calibre R CH 27 PS QI ( even the naming sounds complicated ). It’s an automatic movement with minute repeater, single pushbutton chronograph and most impressively, a perpetual calendar with instantaneous display in three window apertures. What it means is that when the watch changes the date from say Monday August the 31st to Tuesday September the 1st, all three digits in the aperture display will jump instantaneously. Do take note that in a mechanical watch, any “instantaneous” movement is very hard to achieve because it means it will require the watch movement to be smart enough to calculate and store the energy necessary for this feat and to release them at the exact right moment.

Heres a picture of the movement. You can see the gongs of the minute repeater on the top right hand corner if you look closely.

As can be anticipated, adding a chronograph movement to a minute repeater does introduce added complication in the process and as a result, Patek, which usually goes for slimmer design whenever possible, saw the need to house this movement in a thicker case that’s 42mm wide and 15.7mm thick.

The case, while "chunky" looking due to it's thickness, is nevertheless very very well made. The perfectly polished platinum case is beautifully hand-crafted with smooth flowing seductive lines to lure the senses. It’s like caressing the body of a Supercar, only just more intimate and fullfilling. Even for a Grand Complication such as the 5208P, Patek still insist on keeping the dial neat and clean and legible with no extra gimmicks and I have to say they did a superb job. The sun-burst treatment of the dial gives off an elegant look.

Still, I had some reservations about the thickness. A 42mm case with a 15.7mm case thickness just doesn't sound proportional. Putting it on the wrist, the thickness is much more pronounced and no doubt it’s a power house of a watch that simply commands attention.

However, here is where personal discretion and taste come in for to me. I can’t help but say that the 5074R, while lacking the chronograph complication and lacks some of the bells and whistles of the 5208P, is nevertheless to me at least a much more beautiful piece compared to the 5208P. Shocking, as this conclusion might be to some, I actually think in this case, the law of diminishing returns applies. I think we are still several years or maybe a generation away yet before any brand can produce a perfectly wearable and well proportioned Super grand complication watch. Sure there are even more sophisticated Grand Complication watches from Lange and Vacheron that managed to squeeze in every imaginable complication out there, split second chrono, celestial map, minute repeater, tourbillon, perpetual calendar and more but at the expenses of a watch case that stretches credulity at 48mm or even 50mm or larger.

So is the 5208P worth a million quid that it’s astronomical price command? That’s subjective and depend on the individual buyer. I supposed Patek will only make this watch available to their most selected and treasured clients. Worth is or not, beautiful or not, it’s nevertheless remains a technical tour de force statement from Patek and a testimony of the brand's formidable watch-making skills that cements it's position as the pinnacle leader in the world of horology.

You might also want to view this youtube view which offers a bit more functionality display of the 5208P then what I can demonstrate here.

Sneak peek at The Patek Skymoon Tourbillon 6002

The Patek Skymoon Tourbillon is the most complicated timepiece Patek has produced till date. Not only the movement but the exquisitively hand crafted case that is a sheer work of art in it’s own right. The 6002 movement houses a minute repeater with two cathedral gongs and a tourbillon. The front dial indicates both the standard time and feature a perpetual calendar with a retrograde date and a moon-phase display. The rear dials set the stage for astronomical complication which shows a celestial map.

Here’s a picture of Sky Moon Tourbillon 6002 I saw inside a display case that comes with a special box.

No, I couldn’t actually take a more detailed picture nor handled it close-up because the watch was shielded in a glass display under lock and key. It was also running late and I have perhaps extended my welcome having occupying Mdm Marielle’s time for a good 3.5 hours.

I will very much like to refer you to this excellent article from Hodinkee if you wanted to know more about the Skymoon 6002.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introdu...urbillon-6002g

It was finally time to say Good Bye. Madam Marielle, ever the gracious host extended her warm farewell to me and that's after she took me for a short tour of the building after I was finally done previewing the watches. I took with me a few souvenirs from the Salon as well as a VIP invitation card to visit the Patek Museum.

Thus my journey and visit had finally come to an end. It’s has been a most enjoyable and memorable experience for me since I started falling in love with watches. Granted most of the final few pieces are possibly out of my reach ever but I count myself fortunate to preview them first hand. I hope you have enjoy reading these series of write-ups from me just as much as I enjoyed writing them and sharing with you all.

Thank you and Au Revoir. Till next time.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2014, 11:46 PM   #130
texex91
"TRF" Member

Fantastic write up and journey you have shared with all of us.

Bravo
Old 25 August 2014, 11:58 PM   #131
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Great write up Ben, but do you still expect us to believe you didn't buy anything??

conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 01:30 AM   #132
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Amazing stuff, Ben, many many thanks, my friend!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 02:39 AM   #133
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
That watch is insane !
Thanks for sharing Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 03:45 AM   #134
FlatlineEF9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Thank you so much for posting...you have managed to keep us all on edge like a thriller novel that leaves a massive cliffhanger at the end of every chapter. Sad to see this thread end. :(
Old 26 August 2014, 04:15 AM   #135
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Thanks Ben. A fitting watch to end this fantastic thread. Thanks for your time and effort writing this. You've obviously put a lot of thought and effort into this and set the benchmark for future watch reviews.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 04:51 AM   #136
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Amazing post and thank you! I think my favorite is the 5216P
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 05:44 AM   #137
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
What a fantastic journey you took; thanks for bringing us along.

nyc2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 06:18 AM   #138
dwell

Thank you for this wonderful amazing report. You are very fortunate indeed .
Cheers
D

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Patek 5208P Triple Complication Grand Complication

The final piece that I will show here, is also Patek’s 2nd most complicated timepiece ever made. A piece so complicated to make and so rare, that they are almost never seen in any public setting until now at the Patek Geneva Salon. Even so, I had my reservations which I did not sound out that this is not a full fledge piece but a working prototype. Anyway, here you go, the watch that makes all PP Collectors drool, the ultimate grail watch, Patek Perpetual Calendar Chronograph Minute Repeater reference 5208P in platinum.

According to Mdm Marielle, the watch for security reasons had been “protected” by the watch maker to prevent any accidental adjustments that might damage to the movement so I can’t actually tried out the chronograph or test out the minute repeater. Quite a shame actually but I can understand the necessity for this course of action considering that this is a million dollar timepiece. However, I do get to see and try out the watch on the wrist and also peek at the gorgeously decorated movement.

The watch housed the ultra complicated Calibre R CH 27 PS QI ( even the naming sounds complicated ). It’s an automatic movement with minute repeater, single pushbutton chronograph and most impressively, a perpetual calendar with instantaneous display in three window apertures. What it means is that when the watch changes the date from say Monday August the 31st to Tuesday September the 1st, all three digits in the aperture display will jump instantaneously. Do take note that in a mechanical watch, any “instantaneous” movement is very hard to achieve because it means it will require the watch movement to be smart enough to calculate and store the energy necessary for this feat and to release them at the exact right moment.

Heres a picture of the movement. You can see the gongs of the minute repeater on the top right hand corner if you look closely.

As can be anticipated, adding a chronograph movement to a minute repeater does introduce added complication in the process and as a result, Patek, which usually goes for slimmer design whenever possible, saw the need to house this movement in a thicker case that’s 42mm wide and 15.7mm thick.

The case, while "chunky" looking due to it's thickness, is nevertheless very very well made. The perfectly polished platinum case is beautifully hand-crafted with smooth flowing seductive lines to lure the senses. It’s like caressing the body of a Supercar, only just more intimate and fullfilling. Even for a Grand Complication such as the 5208P, Patek still insist on keeping the dial neat and clean and legible with no extra gimmicks and I have to say they did a superb job. The sun-burst treatment of the dial gives off an elegant look.

Still, I had some reservations about the thickness. A 42mm case with a 15.7mm case thickness just doesn't sound proportional. Putting it on the wrist, the thickness is much more pronounced and no doubt it’s a power house of a watch that simply commands attention.

However, here is where personal discretion and taste come in for to me. I can’t help but say that the 5074R, while lacking the chronograph complication and lacks some of the bells and whistles of the 5208P, is nevertheless to me at least a much more beautiful piece compared to the 5208P. Shocking, as this conclusion might be to some, I actually think in this case, the law of diminishing returns applies. I think we are still several years or maybe a generation away yet before any brand can produce a perfectly wearable and well proportioned Super grand complication watch. Sure there are even more sophisticated Grand Complication watches from Lange and Vacheron that managed to squeeze in every imaginable complication out there, split second chrono, celestial map, minute repeater, tourbillon, perpetual calendar and more but at the expenses of a watch case that stretches credulity at 48mm or even 50mm or larger.

So is the 5208P worth a million quid that it’s astronomical price command? That’s subjective and depend on the individual buyer. I supposed Patek will only make this watch available to their most selected and treasured clients. Worth is or not, beautiful or not, it’s nevertheless remains a technical tour de force statement from Patek and a testimony of the brand's formidable watch-making skills that cements it's position as the pinnacle leader in the world of horology.

You might also want to view this youtube view which offers a bit more functionality display of the 5208P then what I can demonstrate here.

Sneak peek at The Patek Skymoon Tourbillon 6002

The Patek Skymoon Tourbillon is the most complicated timepiece Patek has produced till date. Not only the movement but the exquisitively hand crafted case that is a sheer work of art in it’s own right. The 6002 movement houses a minute repeater with two cathedral gongs and a tourbillon. The front dial indicates both the standard time and feature a perpetual calendar with a retrograde date and a moon-phase display. The rear dials set the stage for astronomical complication which shows a celestial map.

Here’s a picture of Sky Moon Tourbillon 6002 I saw inside a display case that comes with a special box.

No, I couldn’t actually take a more detailed picture nor handled it close-up because the watch was shielded in a glass display under lock and key. It was also running late and I have perhaps extended my welcome having occupying Mdm Marielle’s time for a good 3.5 hours.

I will very much like to refer you to this excellent article from Hodinkee if you wanted to know more about the Skymoon 6002.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introdu...urbillon-6002g

It was finally time to say Good Bye. Madam Marielle, ever the gracious host extended her warm farewell to me and that's after she took me for a short tour of the building after I was finally done previewing the watches. I took with me a few souvenirs from the Salon as well as a VIP invitation card to visit the Patek Museum.

Thus my journey and visit had finally come to an end. It’s has been a most enjoyable and memorable experience for me since I started falling in love with watches. Granted most of the final few pieces are possibly out of my reach ever but I count myself fortunate to preview them first hand. I hope you have enjoy reading these series of write-ups from me just as much as I enjoyed writing them and sharing with you all.

Thank you and Au Revoir. Till next time.
dwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 09:26 AM   #139
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Thank you for detailing and documenting your experience.
Wonderful reading. I have enjoyed every word.

Last edited by cwilson13; 26 August 2014 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Spelling
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 09:54 AM   #140
gregvisser
"TRF" Member

Thank you for taking the time to share this. It couldn't have been a better read.

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 09:57 AM   #141
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Just crazy Ben...No more words except wow!!! Thanks for sharing and the unicorn truly does exist!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 11:20 AM   #142
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Best thread of all time!

Thanks so much for sharing Ben. Were you at the patek salon or Khalid's house?! Jokes aside, I really enjoyed this thread from start to finish. I can tell you put some effort in and it's greatly appreciated.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 11:30 AM   #143
texex91
"TRF" Member

I nominate for Best of 2014

Old 26 August 2014, 01:51 PM   #144
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Well done and thanks for the time and effort that you put into this. The only question is when you'll be getting the 5074R.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 02:14 PM   #145
simbal
"TRF" Member

Great write up and pictures, thank you!
simbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 02:20 PM   #146
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
Thank you Ben, this thread has been super amazing!

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 02:37 PM   #147
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Incredible thread! Great job Ben.
Old 26 August 2014, 02:45 PM   #148
keenufan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona & Pateks
Thanks Ben for sharing. It is amazing!!!!
keenufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 08:37 PM   #149
mikkemus23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/PAM

Just awesome! Thanks!
mikkemus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2014, 12:27 AM   #150
AAP8
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LN
Thanks for the Great Read!!!