The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 September 2018, 11:37 AM   #1
HkPlinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 226570
Emergency Battery change

I have an Emergency with the digital battery movement (not automatic Mission)that I had serviced last a few years ago and the AD replaced the chronograph (watch) batteries and removed the Emergency "feature" batteries due to the system is no longer used or needed.

The watch batteries are in need of new ones, but I was wondering if a local jewelry store can change them or do I need to ship it our to a Breitling AD?
HkPlinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 11:05 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HkPlinker View Post
I have an Emergency with the digital battery movement (not automatic Mission)that I had serviced last a few years ago and the AD replaced the chronograph (watch) batteries and removed the Emergency "feature" batteries due to the system is no longer used or needed.

The watch batteries are in need of new ones, but I was wondering if a local jewelry store can change them or do I need to ship it our to a Breitling AD?
just curious, why do you have a watch that isnt functional for what it was designed for

Ive always wanted that watch but specifically when im backpacking or camping in the middle of nowhere.

I would let Breitling do it, no way i would have some jewelry store replace batteries.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 12:10 AM   #3
77T
2024 Pledge Member

A certified watchmaker who has the correct batteries could do this locally.

I agree that any over-the-counter jewelry shop isn’t the right place - unless they have a certified watchmaker like I described above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 02:17 AM   #4
HkPlinker
"TRF" Member

Tyler, This frequency has been terminated and no longer serviceable, or at least what the last (out of state) Breitling service dealer told me
Old 5 September 2018, 09:30 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HkPlinker View Post
Tyler, This frequency has been terminated and no longer serviceable, or at least what the last (out of state) Breitling service dealer told me
is it an older model or something? Curious because i want one, but not if it doesnt work anymore.

Super confusing as i assume an emergency frequency doesnt change too often because that seems pretty dangerous to have them changing and people not knowing.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 01:30 AM   #6
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
So that's just not true. I have an Emergency - have owned 2 of them over the years.

Interestingly enough the new Emergency has both the old and a new transmitter. So if it wasn't viable why would it have it? The frequency is still used for search and rescue. What changed is that the 121.5 mhz frequency was no longer monitored by satellites. It is still monitored via search and rescue services.

I actually changed the batteries myself following the instructions of this video I found online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1BPc_gpk6U

$10 worth of batteries and some patience saved me quite a bit of money compared to the Breitling service.
Old 6 September 2018, 01:32 AM   #7
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Oh and as another note AD's shouldn't be changing Emergency batteries. The rule from everyone I have ever spoken with is that they should go back to Breitling for service. If I were you I would be pretty upset right now with the AD that removed the transmitter portion of the watch.
Old 6 September 2018, 05:27 AM   #8
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I was under the impression that the older emergency models would still work, however that frequency is used less frequently. Many rescue organizations have moved on to the newest frequency. I believe there was a feature on the watch and listen podcast where they were specifically talking about this.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 05:50 AM   #9
david9962000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
I sent mine here:

https://www.swisswatchserviceus.com/
david9962000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 02:55 PM   #10
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
So that's just not true. I have an Emergency - have owned 2 of them over the years.

Interestingly enough the new Emergency has both the old and a new transmitter. So if it wasn't viable why would it have it? The frequency is still used for search and rescue. What changed is that the 121.5 mhz frequency was no longer monitored by satellites. It is still monitored via search and rescue services.

I actually changed the batteries myself following the instructions of this video I found online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1BPc_gpk6U

$10 worth of batteries and some patience saved me quite a bit of money compared to the Breitling service.
+1 on monitoring services. I still have Emergency Mission and Emergency II yellow dial, recently sold the Titanium Emergency I. I thought about changing batteries too, but I sent my Emergency watches to RSC in CT in the US. Part of the service is seals replacement, insuring water resistance (Mission is 100M), and the RSC checks on bracelet and overall watch condition. They used to polish the watch as a part of service in the past, I am not sure if they still do so. Mine are always beat up as I use them as intended. One note, first service on brand new Emergency is free of charge.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 10:16 AM   #11
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Couldn't you bring it back to the AD did your last service and have them do the same "half" of a battery change?
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 08:45 AM   #12
HkPlinker
"TRF" Member

OK, Update. I took the Emergency to a local watch shop. He gladly opened the watch and exchanged all three batteries. Apparently the AD did change the emergency batteries (2x CR2025). The new batteries are all Eveready and the 399 watch battery to the newer Everyready 395.

Also, I am glad to hear the emergency 121.5 Frq is still used.
Old 14 October 2018, 11:27 PM   #13
drjohngobef
"TRF" Member

I am a private pilot. 121.5 has been and will be monitored for many years to come.
drjohngobef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:33 AM   #14
WJGESQ
Banned

Believe 121.5 is still monitored.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote