The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 31 March 2010, 10:12 PM   #1
timelord
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
[B]Replacing the back gasket??[/B]

I recall someone mentioning that whenever you remove the back gasket from the watch case, one should also use a gasket lube named Fomblin to grease the case groove and gasket? Has anyone ever had any experiences with this and what is the recommended procedure?
timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 11:30 PM   #2
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
I use a speed lubricator two foam pads impregnated with fomblin put between and twist then lube the threads on the case back with black Bergeon oil stick,put oring on case back then on watch and tighten. Sport watches and newer watches have a groove in the case for the o-rings once lubricated insert in the groove then put the case back on. Rik
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 12:37 AM   #3
timelord
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
I use a speed lubricator two foam pads impregnated with fomblin put between and twist then lube the threads on the case back with black Bergeon oil stick,put oring on case back then on watch and tighten. Sport watches and newer watches have a groove in the case for the o-rings once lubricated insert in the groove then put the case back on. Rik
Thanks for your response. In the event that one were to remove the case back from any other watch to photograph the movement for posting on the internet, would you recommend that the gasket be again impregnated with fomblin if removed from the case groove or would you just replace it back as is?
timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 05:19 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord View Post
Thanks for your response. In the event that one were to remove the case back from any other watch to photograph the movement for posting on the internet, would you recommend that the gasket be again impregnated with fomblin if removed from the case groove or would you just replace it back as is?
Fomblin is a trade name for a white lithium grease........ some watchmakers also recommend a silicon grease for better water protection...

I'm not a watchmaker, but as an Engineer, I would say that any time you take out an o-ring, it only makes good sense to clean it off, inspect it for damage, and re-apply a proper grease to aid in sealing and prevent the rubber from rolling or not properly seating..

You do not need to grease the seat or groove if you have properly lubed the o-ring..
Old 1 April 2010, 05:48 AM   #5
Rikki
TechXpert

What he said ^ Rik
Old 4 April 2010, 02:21 AM   #6
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Rik,

I have been using Moebius 8217 from my TimeZone repair class, along with silicon grease using the two pad method listed above when replacing casebacks.

Do you see any issues with lubricating the threads with Moebius; it happens to be the only watch grease other than PML stem grease that I have in the mix.

-Sheldon
Old 4 April 2010, 02:45 AM   #7
Balboa

Moebius 8217 is for use inside mainspring barrels. If you use it for other things, you are just a test pilot. Why take a chance with a fine (expensive) watch.

The best thing for case back o-rings is a high quality silicone grease. Use one of the speed lubricators. Quick, easy and cheap. Under $10.

AFAIK, case threads do not require lubrication. If you use lube on them be very careful as any excess could migrate into the watch movement.

Mark
Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 11:42 PM   #8
Rikki
TechXpert

Case threads do require lubrication and if you don't galling will occur and the case back will lock up so tight you will have to cut it off. I have witnessed 1/2 dozen or so galled up case backs that had to be cut apart to get apart. Galling happens when the very tip of the thread heats up and welds itself together with what it is screwed to. Rikki