The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 March 2019, 12:42 AM   #1
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Happy Breitling Birthday to me!

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

I decided to buy myself a Birthday present, this is the third SuperOcean I have owned. I have previously sold the other two. I have a ref A17360 that I sold to fund a Rolex and I also previously owned a Breitling 42mm Abyss in the red trip that I kind of outgrew the color.

If you asked me a year or two ago If I were going to buy another Breitling I likely would have said emphatically no. However, this Georges fella came along and has really shaped up the brand in my opinion. He does have a long way to go, the resale is still poor, I purchased this watch gray market for 40% off with the plastic still on the band. I think it was a great value and a true bargain. I absolutely love the watch. I have decided to switch gears a bit with my watch purchasing, the Rolex madness is a bit much. I think I am going to purchase one more Rolex, a TT GMT and call it a day until things settle down. I would love to own a SUB, buy a year of waiting on a list with not one call has left me frustrated. I always pride myself in not paying retail, so Rolex is a bit frustrating right now.

I love the aesthetics of this SO, it is a great size for me and it will be my "fun" watch. I will still wear my Rolex at work and on occasions, but this is a weekender. I like everything about it, but if I had to change one thing I would drop all the numerics for each hour. I really like what they did on my A17360 where they didn't make each number bold. This watch has a lot going on as far as the dial goes and that is a big criticism for Breitling as well know.

I can't wait to see the next generation of SO, I am hoping this style is the end of an era and Georges puts a new spin on the SO. I would love to see one with a brushed band and just polished side case, etc. Clean up the dial and you have a winner in my opinion. Oddly there isn't much real competition for the sub, the SeaMaster loses me with the bulbous helium release valve so that pushes me back to the SO or the SUB.

Cheers to all
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 05:22 AM   #2
usling15
"TRF" Member

I have an SO Chrono II with the same bezel. Although it is missing the 12 o’clock lume pip, which I think is a mistake. I love it. Stick dial. Personally don’t see the reason for numbers on the dial, they just clutter it up.
usling15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 05:36 AM   #3
Vamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
I love Breitlings the quality is second to none! The SO's are such cool watches, but like you said you take a bath if you buy retail! They had all the potential to be up there with Rolex, but unfortunately lost their way. Hopefully the new CEO can right some of the wrongs and change Breitlings course.
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 05:59 AM   #4
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usling15 View Post
I have an SO Chrono II with the same bezel. Although it is missing the 12 o’clock lume pip, which I think is a mistake. I love it. Stick dial. Personally don’t see the reason for numbers on the dial, they just clutter it up.
Yes, the numbers are just too much. It was also senseless to do the military numerics as well. Anyone that actually needs to know military time can work it out it out in their head. The black of the dial is beautiful, needs to be shown off a bit more.

They make a 44MM version called the "Black" or something of the sort, dial is much better but I can't pull of a 44MM, 42MM is wide open throttle for me!
Old 5 March 2019, 12:33 PM   #5
Silver___Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
I love Breitlings the quality is second to none! The SO's are such cool watches, but like you said you take a bath if you buy retail! They had all the potential to be up there with Rolex, but unfortunately lost their way. Hopefully the new CEO can right some of the wrongs and change Breitlings course.
What did they do wrong if you dont mind me asking? I Know Breitlings but im still new to the watch game and trying to learn more!
Silver___Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 12:43 PM   #6
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Congrats! I wish they got rid of the military numerals on there as well. It reminds me of the Supeorcean dials from around 2008 or so. Like you I'm hoping the new regime can take Breitling in the right direction.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 10:10 PM   #7
captainron62
"TRF" Member

I just asked Georges Kern on Facebook when we can expect a new SO and he replied "Soon". I can't wait to see one with the new design touches. I think we will get all the aesthetics of the watch we love without the business that takes away from the design.
Old 7 March 2019, 08:47 AM   #8
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Cool piece, congratulations
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 11:22 AM   #9
ColtAuto7
"TRF" Member

Watch: A 16613 "Blue Boy"
Happy Birthday and congratulations on a fine watch.

I like Breitlings and wish much success upon Mr. Kern and the brand. I plan to over the next year or so end up with a Superocean Heritage II.
ColtAuto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 07:29 PM   #10
Pete17
"TRF" Member

Happy Birthday Ron and congrats on the new addition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10 March 2019, 10:50 PM   #11
nick c
Banned

Happy birthday and congratulations.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 11:35 PM   #12
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 02:07 PM   #13
Dannyanderson
Banned

Congratulation on your new watch, i love the breitling, splendid. Happy birthday, more life.
Dannyanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 03:59 AM   #14
LuxLemon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Fantastic tool watch!
LuxLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 08:39 AM   #15
watchprenuer
"TRF" Member

great piece congrats
watchprenuer is offline   Reply With Quote