The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 12 March 2019, 08:35 PM   #1
Ijawana
"TRF" Member

Rolex Explorer 2 N Serial Number Bracelet

I recently found an N serial number 16570 Rolex Expl 2 in top condition. The N serial number dates the watch back to 1991. Upon inspection, I was ready to pull the trigger due to the condition of the dial and lugs being very pleasing.

I slept on the deal and later noticed that the oyster bracelet was not simply the flip lock found on the late 80s to early 90s explorer 2. The bracelet was the flip lock and safety secure piece found on the late 90s, 2000 Model.

I asked the dealer to check the serial on the bracelet and i turns out its a 1997ish 93150 bracelet.

My question is:

-How does that impact the price of the watch?

- Will it still be collectable if its not the original bracelet

- Could this have been a replacement dial or did the dealer/buyer throw it together.

Kind of a bummer because it was a great watch at a good price, but knowing this info has turned me off.
Ijawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 04:47 AM   #2
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

If anything it will raise value.

The bracelet could have either come from service as an upgrade years later or been added by the owner or a shop, no way to tell.
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 05:41 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Bracelets do not have serial numbers.

The Exp II, and the GMT were both available with the 93150 bracelet. There is not enough information in this initial thread to make any valid conclusions.
Old 13 March 2019, 12:29 PM   #4
Ijawana
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your responses! I’ve gotten more details:

The watch is a 1991 N serial

The bracelet on the watch is the 78350 with 501b end links.

Why would the non original bracelet be worth more? Is that because it’s a better bracelet?

Would this be more or less desirable in future? This is my first Rolex, and I’ve always wanted the 16570 Explorer 2 Polar. Any help is very much appreciated.
Old 13 March 2019, 04:18 PM   #5
Ijawana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Bracelets do not have serial numbers.

The Exp II, and the GMT were both available with the 93150 bracelet. There is not enough information in this initial thread to make any valid conclusions.

Updated info

Serial no. Starts with N

Bracelet is the 501b 78350

I don’t believe this was the original bracelet with the watch. However how does this affect desirability and value of the watch?

Thank you for your response, it’s my first Rolex purchase!
Old 14 March 2019, 05:02 AM   #6
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijawana View Post
Updated info

Serial no. Starts with N

Bracelet is the 501b 78350

I don’t believe this was the original bracelet with the watch. However how does this affect desirability and value of the watch?

Thank you for your response, it’s my first Rolex purchase!
Sure it's not 78360?

The 78350 is a smaller Oyster bracelet, and not correct for the watch. It will fit/work with 20mm end pieces, but it's not ideal. The 78360 is 20mm and proper for the 16570.

That said, bracelets represent a fairly small percentage of the "value", especially on vintage pieces. So, if the watch head is in excellent condition, I wouldn't consider it a deal-breaker.
If nothing else, you can certainly try to use it as a point when negotiating the price.

freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 12:52 PM   #7
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Without trying to sound facetious, "value" is what you perceive it to be unless you want to flip. What I mean is... Are you looking for a perfectly original watch or one that you love to wear? If the bracelet works for you and the rest of the watch is as good as you say then buy it!

So many people buy sports watches and put them on a nato or leather, I live me soeedmaster with a big selection of coloured straps for example and bought it used without the bracelet as I didn't care for the steel bracelet. By all means research the watch but my point is that if the bracelet is non standard you may actually prefer it, or you may prefer the original. If you value a non standard bracelet you may get this watch for a great deal...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 16 March 2019, 02:00 PM   #8
Ijawana
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your insight. Since it is my first Rolex, I want it to be all original. Whilst I understand sometimes this may not be the case and there are great deals to be had, I'm willing to wait out the market and find the right piece for me.

Based on my research of the Australian market, an early 2000s No holes SEL Explorer 2 (which is exactly what I want) can be had for $8,400 AUD full set in mint condition ($6ish USD). As I have a budget of mid 7s ($5.5 USD), I am waiting for one without BP and excellent as opposed to absolute unworn mint condition, since I will definitely be wearing the watch.