The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 8 January 2019, 12:27 AM   #1
fl2ny
"TRF" Member

Buying a Breitling - Grey market vs. AD route

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I've decided to buy the new Breitling Superocean Heritage ii Chronograph 44 B01. I went and tried it on twice, once at a Breitling boutique store and once at a Tourneau store. I really love the watch and have been looking at it for some time and finally made the decision to buy it.

That said, the sticker price on the watch I think is a bit high (~$7k+). I know that both Breitling an Tourneau have some flexibility in their pricing, but I've been looking across Chrono24 and have found the watch for about $5500. That's quite a serious savings.

I fully understand the risks of going grey market vs. AD. I've purchased a watch through grey market before (Jomashop) and had no issues and still wear that watch today. That said, it was quite a bit cheaper than the $5-6k I would be spending on a Breitling.

What I don't know is much about a Breitling's need for servicing, whether it's often or not, or would the cost savings of going grey market be enough that in the case I did have to get the watch serviced I would still come out ahead (ie. buy for $5500 and need to get the watch serviced costing me, let's say $500.)

Also, in your experience, how much flexibility does an AD have in negotiation? If I could get them to $6k I would pull the trigger, for example.

I hope this is the right place to seek some guidance and feedback.

Thanks!
fl2ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 05:23 AM   #2
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
A few months ago I purchased a Super Ocean Heritage II Chrono 46mm from the largest brick and mortar AD retailer in Florida. I received 15% off without even trying. In retrospect, I probably could have done even better.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 05:53 AM   #3
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl2ny View Post
Hi,

I've decided to buy the new Breitling Superocean Heritage ii Chronograph 44 B01. I went and tried it on twice, once at a Breitling boutique store and once at a Tourneau store. I really love the watch and have been looking at it for some time and finally made the decision to buy it.

That said, the sticker price on the watch I think is a bit high (~$7k+). I know that both Breitling an Tourneau have some flexibility in their pricing, but I've been looking across Chrono24 and have found the watch for about $5500. That's quite a serious savings.

I fully understand the risks of going grey market vs. AD. I've purchased a watch through grey market before (Jomashop) and had no issues and still wear that watch today. That said, it was quite a bit cheaper than the $5-6k I would be spending on a Breitling.

What I don't know is much about a Breitling's need for servicing, whether it's often or not, or would the cost savings of going grey market be enough that in the case I did have to get the watch serviced I would still come out ahead (ie. buy for $5500 and need to get the watch serviced costing me, let's say $500.)

Also, in your experience, how much flexibility does an AD have in negotiation? If I could get them to $6k I would pull the trigger, for example.

Thanks!
In general Breitlings need more service than Rolex but less than like AP. One of my watches, a GMT Avenger II, I bought new, and did need service under warranty which they handled well. It's also nice to have the ability to ask for a replacement of a dial or hands etc if there are any issues you find with them. I think you should be able to get about 20% off of a Breitling with strap, fairly easily. I would guess 40% is possible in the Caribbean or under the right circumstances.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 06:26 AM   #4
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
You aren't gonna see 40% off in the Caribbean from a Breitling Boutique on a SOH II. More like 20% which is what I got in Nassau .... slow sellers or discontinued stuff you may see 40% ..
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 06:57 AM   #5
fl2ny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
A few months ago I purchased a Super Ocean Heritage II Chrono 46mm from the largest brick and mortar AD retailer in Florida. I received 15% off without even trying. In retrospect, I probably could have done even better.
Thanks for the response on this.

I guess it's worth at least trying to negotiate with them vs. not. Worst that happens is that they say no and I walk out. The experience at Breitling was very sales-y and at the end of the day they're trying to make a sale, so definitely worth trying.
Old 8 January 2019, 08:59 AM   #6
56scooter
"TRF" Member

The Breitling Boutique is extremely limited in how much of a cash discount they can offer, however they can offer you swag, straps and other stuff to make up the difference. Tourneau is not going to discount very much, they may offer you 30 months interest free financing if you qualify. If you would like the contact info for an AD out of state and close by let me know. (send me a pm) You can then get a discount and potential tax savings.
56scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 09:43 AM   #7
DavePryor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Bluesy
Icon12

I bought a Navitimer back in 2001 and have had it serviced once, when I noticed it was not keeping good time ie running slow. That was a couple of years ago.

Now it runs well again. I have always liked this watch from the first time I saw it in a shop in Munich Germany. I went back a year later and bought it!
DavePryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 12:50 PM   #8
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Great choice, I just picked one up last month. There should be room to move on price from an AD. If you want one to work with, let me know.

jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 01:10 PM   #9
fl2ny
"TRF" Member

Man, that thing is beautiful. How are you liking it so far? Not a ton of user reviews yet online, would love to get your thoughts!
Old 8 January 2019, 02:31 PM   #10
fl2ny
"TRF" Member

Oh man, that's a good looking watch. How are you liking it so far? There aren't many user reviews available yet online so would love to get your honest review.
Old 8 January 2019, 11:27 PM   #11
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

I've had it about 2 weeks or so and love it. The blue dial really pops in natural light. The timing has been spot on as well from the B01 movement.

My one hesitation before trying this watch on was the mesh bracelet. I wasn't a huge fan initially but after trying it on, I was sold. It's very comfortable and looks fantastic. I also picked up the blue rubber strap as well to wear in the summer.

A huge plus for me was when they upgraded the bezel on these to ceramic. The shade of blue used is perfect.

Here are a couple of pics in the sun, one on the bracelet and one on rubber.

Old 9 January 2019, 12:08 AM   #12
fl2ny
"TRF" Member

Congrats again on the watch! And appreciate the feedback and additional photos.

I've honed in on the black version with a black rubber strap. I'm not a huge fan of metal bracelets in general, so I'm looking at some black alligator straps to throw on it when I need to dress it up.

I was really impressed with the rubber strap when I tried it on, so so comfortable.

I spoke with an AD and got a really great deal yesterday, so sounds like I'm going to be picking it up later this week!
Old 9 January 2019, 01:40 AM   #13
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Awesome, looking forward to another incoming thread.
Old 9 January 2019, 02:27 AM   #14
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
I would never buy a breit on retail.. I would aim for at least 35 procent off and only buy at 25 procent off and than still u loose tons of money when reselling ;p
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 03:14 AM   #15
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
I would never buy a breit on retail.. I would aim for at least 35 procent off and only buy at 25 procent off and than still u loose tons of money when reselling ;p
Realistically, 20%, all in, no tax.
Let me know an AD at 35% off for current hot models and I am all in.
As to losing tons of money, other than some Rolex models, AP or PP, the same is true for any watch.
Don’t buy for investment. Buy because you like it and enjoy it.
Invest in the market.
Old 9 January 2019, 04:28 AM   #16
fl2ny
"TRF" Member

Yes, agreed with 123Blueface. I'm not buying this watch to sit on a shelf, or thinking of it as a long term investment. I'm buying it to wear on a daily basis. If it depreciates long term, I'm okay with it knowing I got enjoyment out of a) working hard to afford the watch and b) wearing it for a long time to come.

And yes, I'll be receiving it at slightly over 20% msrp.
Old 16 February 2019, 07:30 PM   #17
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Several years ago, I bought a blue SOH46 from AD at 20% off, standard discount. I also wanted a white Seawolf but unfortunately it had just been discontinued and could no longer be ordered at the AD. So I went gray and got it 45% off BNIB.

These days, if I can get a 20% discount from AD, I'm happy with that as I value the peace of mind of the AD experience.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 03:14 PM   #18
ElTiburonTigre
"TRF" Member

You can get deals on Breitlings on the secondary market.
ElTiburonTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 12:12 AM   #19
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!

I would look at trusted gray market folks, breitling does not hold its value well unfortunately but I have owned two and my brother two. We never had the need to ever send them in for service and ran well within COSC specs 10 years+. AD’s will negotiate with breitling and the better your relationship the better deal you will likely get.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 02:46 AM   #20
NavalFlight
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:

Im not sure about ADs, but I was recently at the Breitling Boutique in Las Vegas and they couldn’t give any discounts. At best they were able to include a free additional strap.

Has anyone had a recent AD experience (within the last few months) where they got a discount?

Personally, I’m a big fan of buying used, properly vetted of course. The depreciation has already been taken into account and, like buying a car, every watch is used the minute it leaves the store.
NavalFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 11:23 PM   #21
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
You aren't gonna see 40% off in the Caribbean from a Breitling Boutique on a SOH II. More like 20% which is what I got in Nassau .... slow sellers or discontinued stuff you may see 40% ..
Truth! I tried to score in the Caribbean and found I could get cheaper on the U.S., they wouldn't budge much at all about 15% or so is all I could get.
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 12:14 AM   #22
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavalFlight View Post
Im not sure about ADs, but I was recently at the Breitling Boutique in Las Vegas and they couldn’t give any discounts. At best they were able to include a free additional strap.

Has anyone had a recent AD experience (within the last few months) where they got a discount?

Personally, I’m a big fan of buying used, properly vetted of course. The depreciation has already been taken into account and, like buying a car, every watch is used the minute it leaves the store.
There are deals to be had from ADs. If you need one to work with, send me a PM on here or on Breitling Source.
Old 29 March 2019, 04:16 AM   #23
af_schulten
"TRF" Member

Watch: '62 Constellation
Beautiful. I'm torn between this one and the Black bezel & sub-dials with silver dial. Gorgeous lines and vintage aesthetic.

Most Bittersweet Breakup: ROLEX GMT-Master II 116710 BLNR
af_schulten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 04:45 PM   #24
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
I flat out asked a Breitling boutique store manager why I should pay (say) $12,000 in store vs a grey sale with Breitling warranty supplied for around $9,000.

He said you get the experience (pass thanks - I can buy myself a coffee thanks). The big thing he said “are our exclusive branded merchandise”.

I can get a Breitling baseball cap for $50 on eBay , Breitling have these Nylon bomber jackets that no aviator on the planet would wear (fire and melting nylon is bad), pens and so on. If I spend $12,000+ In store, I get outsourced merchandise worth $300 wholesale tops. If I go grey with proper warranty in place I keep the $3000.00.
InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 09:43 PM   #25
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
You will not have a Breitling warranty purchasing grey.
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 11:34 AM   #26
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Just buy from an AD who can move on price. You’ll save the money and get the full warranty.
Old 15 April 2019, 11:43 AM   #27
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
You will not have a Breitling warranty purchasing grey.
That's not necessarily true. Some grey dealers on TRF will come with the manufacturer warranty. But it won't be as much as a discount as Grey dealers that sell it without. But still a very healthy discount.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 01:40 PM   #28
NavalFlight
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Just a quick note about the different terms in these posts, and please correct me if I’m wrong.

A grey dealer typically sells a new watch, but since they are not an AD that watch doesn’t come with a manufacturer warranty but does come with the seller’s own warranty. So buy the seller before you buy a watch from the seller.

The original poster also mentioned finding several deals on chrono. Some sellers may be offering the watch as a grey dealer but many others also are offering the watch as an AD. If so, that watch has a manufacturer warranty. Again, research the seller first.

Finally, some sellers may be selling used, which would have the remainder of the original manufacturer warranty (e.g. watch originally bought in 2018 would have either 1 year or 4 years remaining on the original warranty depending on the model).

Personally, I’m a big fan of the pre-owned market as the depreciation on the retail price has already been deducted.

Buying used also negates the “X watch brand doesn’t retain value” argument, since the depreciation already occurred. Thus, if you buy used, your watch likely won’t lose value from what you paid.

As always, buy the seller before you buy the watch. Some sellers have very good reputations while others don’t.
NavalFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 01:49 PM   #29
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavalFlight View Post
Just a quick note about the different terms in these posts, and please correct me if I’m wrong.

A grey dealer typically sells a new watch, but since they are not an AD that watch doesn’t come with a manufacturer warranty but does come with the seller’s own warranty. So buy the seller before you buy a watch from the seller.

The original poster also mentioned finding several deals on chrono. Some sellers may be offering the watch as a grey dealer but many others also are offering the watch as an AD. If so, that watch has a manufacturer warranty. Again, research the seller first.

Finally, some sellers may be selling used, which would have the remainder of the original manufacturer warranty (e.g. watch originally bought in 2018 would have either 1 year or 4 years remaining on the original warranty depending on the model).

Personally, I’m a big fan of the pre-owned market as the depreciation on the retail price has already been deducted.

Buying used also negates the “X watch brand doesn’t retain value” argument, since the depreciation already occurred. Thus, if you buy used, your watch likely won’t lose value from what you paid.

As always, buy the seller before you buy the watch. Some sellers have very good reputations while others don’t.

No. There are really two kinds of grey sellers: one gets watches from countries
overseas and sell them in the U.S. those are deeply discounted and do not have warranties. The other type, which is the type of grey sellers who sells on TRF get their watches from American AD’s at a discount and resell them for a profit. Those come with a warranty but their prices are not as low as the first type of grey sellers.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 06:29 AM   #30
tjs00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
No. There are really two kinds of grey sellers: one gets watches from countries
overseas and sell them in the U.S. those are deeply discounted and do not have warranties. The other type, which is the type of grey sellers who sells on TRF get their watches from American AD’s at a discount and resell them for a profit. Those come with a warranty but their prices are not as low as the first type of grey sellers.
Not exactly true, most well respected brands have an "International Warranty" - it generally says so on the warranty card. So origin country and actual country in which warranty occurs doesn't matter.
tjs00 is offline   Reply With Quote