The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 November 2018, 12:12 PM   #1
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

16710 GMT - Input Needed

Hi All,

A good buddy is looking to sell his 16710 Coke which he bought new in 1998. Swiss - T < 25 dial, full set. Watch seems to be in fair condition and never polished.

This is not a market I know, other Rolex yes, but not these.

I can see where things are from Chrono 24 etc but I wanted input from the forum too. What's a fair price / price range do you think?

Thanks all.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 12:17 PM   #2
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

US$8.5k - US$10.5k

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 09:45 PM   #3
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
US$8.5k - US$10.5k

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
Thanks, that's what I'm seeing on Chrono24 too, perhaps a few even higher than $10.5k.

It seems rather high versus say a Sub from the same era (acknowledging that the GMT is a slightly more expensive watch to begin with). Is this price difference I see now simply down to the recent hype re the new Pepsi? Or is it something else? I would guess less GMTs are / were sold than Subs.

I want to try and guide my buddy as best I can, and to me at first glance I thought these prices were high and perhaps not realistic for him to expect. But, of course, maybe I'm wrong.
Old 15 November 2018, 01:41 AM   #4
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Thanks, that's what I'm seeing on Chrono24 too, perhaps a few even higher than $10.5k.

It seems rather high versus say a Sub from the same era (acknowledging that the GMT is a slightly more expensive watch to begin with). Is this price difference I see now simply down to the recent hype re the new Pepsi? Or is it something else? I would guess less GMTs are / were sold than Subs.

I want to try and guide my buddy as best I can, and to me at first glance I thought these prices were high and perhaps not realistic for him to expect. But, of course, maybe I'm wrong.
I think you might be overthinking this.

Sellers ask for the world and settle for what's on the table. Sellers rarely get their full asking price.

If you want to find the "market value" list it on ebay for $0.99 and let the "biggest watch marketplace in the world" set the price. If you really want to sell it, ebay will get you what it's worth at that time.
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 01:59 AM   #5
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
I think you might be overthinking this.

Sellers ask for the world and settle for what's on the table. Sellers rarely get their full asking price.

If you want to find the "market value" list it on ebay for $0.99 and let the "biggest watch marketplace in the world" set the price. If you really want to sell it, ebay will get you what it's worth at that time.

Not an unfair assessment.

I’m overthinking it because it’s not my watch, it’s a buddy’s and I want to guide him as best I can. If it was mine I wouldn’t overthink $500 or $1000 as that’s a reasonable variance on a watch like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 November 2018, 02:05 AM   #6
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Chrono24 tends to have higher prices than other places in my experience. I'd check WatchRecon and see what stuff actually sold for, not the listed price.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 03:00 AM   #7
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post
I'd check WatchRecon and see what stuff actually sold for, not the listed price.
WatchRecon won’t tell you that - it’s only a search engine for sales forums. What the watches actually sell for is between the seller and the buyer...
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 03:39 AM   #8
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
WatchRecon won’t tell you that - it’s only a search engine for sales forums. What the watches actually sell for is between the seller and the buyer...
You can still get a rough idea.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 03:49 AM   #9
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Agreed, that may get us closer to peer to peer sales pricing that dealer pricing (Chrono24).

Impossible to know where things actually sell at however.

Old 15 November 2018, 10:19 AM   #10
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Tundra provided you a good range for these watch sets. You can't any closer to placing a value on the set without decent photos of the watch and accessories.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 12:02 PM   #11
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Tundra provided you a good range for these watch sets. You can't any closer to placing a value on the set without decent photos of the watch and accessories.
Yes, I understood that. It was the range I could see on Chrono24 pretty much.

My follow on question was trying to determine if things has moved materially recently (like the general Sub market, or the non vintage Daytona market) for one reason or another as I don't (and haven't) paid attention to the GMT market. If this was a Sub, Daytona or even a Day-Date I wouldn't be asking as I know and have followed those markets/pricing very very closely.

Yes, that's overthinking things maybe but any overthinking is valid in my opinion as the watch being sold potentially is not mine, and the owner is relying a little on me for guidance.

Appreciate the input thus far. I will see the watch in person later this week at which point I can determine how clean (or not it is). That's the only variable outstanding as I know it's a full set.
Old 15 November 2018, 01:36 PM   #12
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Yes, I understood that. It was the range I could see on Chrono24 pretty much.

My follow on question was trying to determine if things has moved materially recently (like the general Sub market, or the non vintage Daytona market) for one reason or another as I don't (and haven't) paid attention to the GMT market. If this was a Sub, Daytona or even a Day-Date I wouldn't be asking as I know and have followed those markets/pricing very very closely.

Yes, that's overthinking things maybe but any overthinking is valid in my opinion as the watch being sold potentially is not mine, and the owner is relying a little on me for guidance.

Appreciate the input thus far. I will see the watch in person later this week at which point I can determine how clean (or not it is). That's the only variable outstanding as I know it's a full set.
I follow the market on many of the preowned models, both vintage and the classics. Below is a GMT II set that I recently sold three weeks ago. I also sold another one last week with a "Pepsi" insert for the same price of $10,750. If you have a comparable watch - I would start there.

https://rolexvintageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=302

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 10:13 PM   #13
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I follow the market on many of the preowned models, both vintage and the classics. Below is a GMT II set that I recently sold three weeks ago. I also sold another one last week with a "Pepsi" insert for the same price of $10,750. If you have a comparable watch - I would start there.

https://rolexvintageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=302

Yes, thank you. After your response last night I was able to pull up some of your other posts and saw those sales (very helpful) and even better I found some of your great reference posts. Thanks for those, even though I’d searched the forums more generally for 16710 posts and actually posts on inserts I didn’t find your older posts until I search your post history directly.