The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 November 2018, 08:15 PM   #61
AlfieKerrison
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compo View Post
I bought my LV from Watchfinder at £7,750 about a year ago. Last week I got a call out of the blue from the Rolex Boutique on Bond Street saying they had one for me - I had gone in there just before buying from Watchfinder to get on their list, they said it was closed but I could go on a pre-list but I would be waiting years, and that they would want a deposit to go on the actual list when another slot became free. Needless to say that drove me to get one from the greys.

I am not sure how or why they suddenly called me, I've never bought from there and they don't know me. Maybe the story about the quick sale is right and I was the first to pick up the phone. Went in and got it on Saturday and sold my old one back to Watchfinder yesterday.

If you want one from an AD you may get lucky - but I don't think you can really ever know where you stand on the list or even if there is one. The only way to be sure is to go to a grey dealer - there's plenty of supply and I think if you shop around you should be able to get one around £8.5-£9k (not an un-worn model though)

I was in Tokyo a few weeks back - one of the dealers had about 20 on one shelf, all in perfect condition.
That's it I am off to Tokyo! Would I actually have better luck going to another country in say Europe to get one?
AlfieKerrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 10:14 PM   #62
Well:Timed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conora View Post
Which AD allowed you to place a deposit if you don't mind me asking?
DMR... BUT, only when a space appears on allocation. DMR are far the best AD I've had the pleasure to deal with... I will never go anywhere else, best customer service I had.
Well:Timed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 11:36 PM   #63
juktagt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I enquired about a Submariner no date at my AD around 6 months ago and was told there were around 50 on the list and they weren’t taking anymore on.

I was lucky, in a sense, that the watch I really wanted was a 14060/14060M Sub and so therefore used was the only way I could get one. Still, they were tricky enough to find, especially in top condition/full set etc.

If you do all your homework, look at trusted and well reviewed dealers, you can pick up your sub easily- for a small premium of course. You just got to weigh up if you are up for looking around, paying a little extra but having tomorrow!

All the best in your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 November 2018, 11:36 PM   #64
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Think yourself lucky you don’t want a blue skydweller
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 12:40 AM   #65
AlfieKerrison
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer25 View Post
Think yourself lucky you don’t want a blue skydweller
Or a Daytona as well it seems! Been trying to get myself on a few other waiting lists but a lot of the places are saying no. Mainly due to me not being local and not having a purchase history with them.
Old 15 November 2018, 01:30 AM   #66
ahlee00023
"TRF" Member

Once you go grey, you may never come back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 15 November 2018, 04:43 AM   #67
Compo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieKerrison View Post
That's it I am off to Tokyo! Would I actually have better luck going to another country in say Europe to get one?
No - unless you get lucky in Schipol Airport - the AD in terminal has no lists and everything goes in the cabinet. The manager told me his record is 27 seconds from in cabinet to sale (Daytona c) and he had to call security to break up a fight over an Lv in the cabinet.

Tokyo is a watch hunters paradise in terms of choice in the greys. If buying new - overseas buyers get the 8%VAT back - but you'll need to pay VAT and Duty when you declare to customs in UK.

My advice would be to buy a Grand Seiko if you're on a trip there - something very cool about the whole Japanese buying experience, particularly in a top end department store.
Compo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 06:53 AM   #68
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Trusted Sellers on this forum Watch Recon I personally would not wait for an AD to call just my .02
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 07:05 AM   #69
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t ever consider waiting that long. Just buy one grey and be done with it.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 07:23 AM   #70
Pops1973
Banned

Watch: 116713LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
My local AD will not even add me to a 'list of interest' for an LV so that removes choice 1..
Really annoying OP, I feel your pain.. and this 'list' is just a list of nonsense and I have proof:

I was/am on the 'list' for a Pepsi at my local AD. A business acquaintance of mine was not on the list. His father bought a PM Daytona (white gold with leather strap) and they pulled out a Pepsi and sold it to my colleague..he didn't even really want it and doesn't wear it, he bought it just because it was there and its rare (no he won't sell me it and I wouldn't even ask). They offered it to him because they couldn't give him the SS Daytona he's on a list for. They already had the PM sale in the bag, so there was no need to 'buy that to get this'
To blazes with selling to someone on the list that actually 'really' wants it. I can't get on a list anywhere else.

Named and shamed: Robbie @ MAPPIN & WEBB GLENEAGLES - and they won't reply to my emails either, 3 polite messages ignored, was just trying to update my contact number in case I was to get the call..
The watches are there it’s all hype I know the demamd has gone up but not to the extent that these ads are making out - most of these watches are going direct to the grey market and the advice the op is getting in here is to buy from a grey - feed the frenzy. I wanted an lv since last year and put on a list told 6 months - never got one and they are no longer an ad - I had to start again but managed to get in a list again but for black sub not sure why I am even bothering I don’t want a black sub lol. But staying on the list hoping that I can get on the lv list again or this madness ends. But my advice don’t buy from a grey unless it’s less than msrp.

And please some people stop comparing the Rolex scarcity to rare Ferraris and Porsches really not the same thing.

And I hope you get an lv and not from Robbie lol 👍
Pops1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 08:17 AM   #71
JW1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-date
AD in Florence, Italy. I bought one from them and so did my buddy who vacationed there a month after me. It won't be on display but go in and respectfully ask.
JW1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 08:24 AM   #72
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1988 View Post
It won't be on display but go in and respectfully ask.
The amount of times I have read on here something along the lines of: I went in and asked for a LV/Daytona/BLNR/Pepsi/SkyD and was laughed out the door..
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 09:39 AM   #73
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

1) Walk into any AD and say I want a sub!
2) Get swindled into buying 30k+ worth of watches/jewelry to get on the list
3) Go online to Davidsw
4) Get sub in a day
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 12:04 AM   #74
AlfieKerrison
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
Trusted Sellers on this forum Watch Recon I personally would not wait for an AD to call just my .02
I think its just the premium that puts me off buying from the grey market. I don't want to pay £2000 - £3000 more than the retail.
Old 16 November 2018, 01:35 AM   #75
BrookesAndrew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think its just the premium that puts me off buying from the grey market. I don't want to pay £2000 - £3000 more than the retail.
Then be prepared to wait because unless you are willing to go grey or get really lucky from an AD who doesn't have a waiting list and you just happen to call at the right time, you are going to be in for a long wait! Be worth it though, such a brilliant watch and I as I said I really want one as well
Old 16 November 2018, 01:37 AM   #76
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post
1) Walk into any AD and say I want a sub!
2) Get swindled into buying 30k+ worth of watches/jewelry to get on the list
3) Go online to Davidsw
4) Get sub in a day

OP is in the UK and importing a Rolex is pretty costly. Otherwise I would agree.

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 01:49 AM   #77
Allinthegame
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak/Tank 18k
Visit Hatton Garden
Allinthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 07:44 AM   #78
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Plenty for sale if you know where to look. Buy used...makes more sense anyways
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 12:41 PM   #79
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
I wouldn’t either; that’s a lot of money. Not to mention doing so effectively encourages the profiteering that perpetuates this madness of artificial shortage.

Put that premium towards buying a cheaper Watch like Omega or other lower price brands from an AD that is receptive to putting you on a list, establish a business relation. Once you’ve bought the first one, the second one would be quicker and easier.

This way you at least get something out of that premium, instead of wasting it on one watch.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 03:23 PM   #80
dane-o-2017
"TRF" Member

I read this with disbelief...I have 5 or 6 Rolexes, all bought pre-owned and I never knew that there is a shortage of some models at ADs.....amazing. I wouldn't wait, skip that model and buy a mint pre-owned of a different model.
dane-o-2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 06:23 PM   #81
Compo
"TRF" Member

Here's a strategy - buy pre-owned now so you get certainty that you have the watch you want. Sure you'll pay over list but £8.5-£9.5k should be enough if you shop around. Stay on the lists at the AD's you've visited and if they have one for you at some point in the future, buy it if used prices have held up, pass if they havent. Sell the the pre-owned one for a likely small profit if prices have held up.

List is already £6,950, it will very probably be well over £7k within 12 months.
Compo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 09:53 PM   #82
AlfieKerrison
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compo View Post
Here's a strategy - buy pre-owned now so you get certainty that you have the watch you want. Sure you'll pay over list but £8.5-£9.5k should be enough if you shop around. Stay on the lists at the AD's you've visited and if they have one for you at some point in the future, buy it if used prices have held up, pass if they havent. Sell the the pre-owned one for a likely small profit if prices have held up.

List is already £6,950, it will very probably be well over £7k within 12 months.
That is a good idea! Thank you
Old 17 November 2018, 02:22 AM   #83
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
More like £3000 plus for a new Green Sub. They’re way over £10k now for unworn 2018.
They’re highly desirable around these parts and really difficult to get. If you’re firm on model you’ll have to dig deeper and bite the bullet.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 03:34 AM   #84
squatchy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS/WG DJ41
We've only gotten in (2) LV's in 2018, and we do decent volume for a Midwest store. The shortage is real... at least with the majority of honest AD's like us.
squatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:36 AM   #85
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatchy View Post
We've only gotten in (2) LV's in 2018, and we do decent volume for a Midwest store. The shortage is real... at least with the majority of honest AD's like us.
How many did you get in 2017? And is your wait list in double figures?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:42 AM   #86
wBrah
"TRF" Member

If you really want to find one, you need to drive around several states and look at jewelers in towns that may not have as much demand for luxury watches. You won't have much luck in major cities, or really small towns. Look for ADs in the suburbs, or ADs that have recently opened.
wBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 08:01 AM   #87
alexintheair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,PP
I got 2 sub in 5 days recently. I changed my strategy. Travel to a non-popular area. Call all the dealers in my state, I got 1 date and 1 non date black sub.

good luck.
alexintheair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 06:16 PM   #88
Soultime
"TRF" Member

The OP is in the UK.
It is different here than in the US.

Driving to different states (called counties here) isn't really a thing.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 07:00 PM   #89
watchlover98
"TRF" Member

Size doesn't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
They obviously don't sell enough Datejusts to get rewarded more.

I believe it's an exaggeration. Lowest I've heard is 4 a year and the shop was as big as my shoebox.
Size of the the shop doesn't Matter. There's an AD in venezia which is tiny.. can barely have 3-4 customers at once but their collection and stock is just massive
watchlover98 is offline   Reply With Quote