The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 16 November 2018, 08:05 AM   #301
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I would like one below msrp. I can wait. Plenty of other nice watches that can be found at good prices
Old 16 November 2018, 08:11 AM   #302
MinMay
Banned

If everyone agreed to stop paying over MSRP, eventually, everyone will get it at MSRP :) . Flippers have no intention of being the last person holding a watch so they'll lower the price :) . I would predict $500 above MSRP would be a good price entry if you MUST own it. Otherwise, put your name on the waiting list and get it at MSRP in a year or two.

When BLRO was going for 21K with the same price of Daytona Ceramic, I said Daytona was undervalued then. Too bad there was no way to short BLRO :)
Old 16 November 2018, 08:28 AM   #303
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

I visited an AD today during lunch and they said calls for the BLRO have died down significantly. Of course there’s still a long waiting list.
Old 16 November 2018, 08:30 AM   #304
MinMay
Banned

when BLRO is going to fetch for MSRP, 95% of them will drop off the waiting list.
Old 16 November 2018, 08:36 AM   #305
ckwong
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, LVc
Will not pay more then MSRP!
Old 16 November 2018, 08:38 AM   #306
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
when BLRO is going to fetch for MSRP, 95% of them will drop off the waiting list.
Agreed
Old 16 November 2018, 11:40 AM   #307
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
My price is 3x MSRP but if I can get a discount of 5% from that value it would be much appreciated.
Old 16 November 2018, 11:50 AM   #308
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
Quote:
When BLRO was going for 21K with the same price of Daytona Ceramic, I said Daytona was undervalued then. Too bad there was no way to short BLRO :)
we need trinket futures!
Old 16 November 2018, 01:11 PM   #309
michael.michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
I can stomach msrp + 20%
Old 16 November 2018, 01:48 PM   #310
Godfather111
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Step
The BLRO is not tickling my fancy the way the BLNR and the LVc did.

If I come across it, I'd buy one for the collection, but only at MSRP.
Old 16 November 2018, 01:55 PM   #311
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Will only pay no higher than MSRP and applicable taxes!
Old 16 November 2018, 02:46 PM   #312
cuffs
"TRF" Member

MSRP.
We all complain about the premiums but if we stop paying the ridiculous prices, we can weed out the scalpers and flippers.
As genuine consumers we have the power to yield some influence here.
Old 16 November 2018, 03:11 PM   #313
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Yeah retail is what id pay, it’s still a bit pricey even at that point. Worth it for how it makes me feel but not $100 extra let alone thousands. Don’t feed the beast, let the greys sit on them till they need a service lol that should change the game back to our favour

Last edited by Jamie1111; 16 November 2018 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 16 November 2018, 09:34 PM   #314
Grace
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t65tampa View Post
MSRP for me.

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 November 2018, 09:38 PM   #315
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffs View Post
MSRP.
We all complain about the premiums but if we stop paying the ridiculous prices, we can weed out the scalpers and flippers.
As genuine consumers we have the power to yield some influence here.
Problem is we are all individuals and we have no buyers union either, unlike a Goldman Sachs or Hedge Fund who can issue a mass sell-off and crash a stockmarket in a split second.
Old 16 November 2018, 09:43 PM   #316
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
If everyone agreed to stop paying over MSRP,
Why would people who don't give a damn about MSRP agree to this though?
This is like saying if we all agree not to pay over £10k for a Ferrari we'll all get Ferraris for £10k. A nice idea in a theoretical fantasy but in reality people will pay whatever they feel like to get what they want - and quite right too I say.
Old 16 November 2018, 10:12 PM   #317
Grace
"TRF" Member

I choose to get on the wait list for the watch I want, and then just get on with living.
Yes, I’m on the wait list for a BLRO, and yes, I’d be excited if I got the call tomorrow..but it’s no big deal.

I won’t be pressured by greys and flippers trying to drum up demand and then cash in..Hah! Who are they kidding? Paying a premium for current models is for chumps.

There ARE and there always WILL BE lots of other watches to enjoy!
I can wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 November 2018, 10:39 PM   #318
fiebru1119
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DBlue
This has been mentioned in the post already but for those of us arbitrarily saying “MSRP”, what if MSRP was $15k.. $17k .. you could count me out. I’d be in at the $9-9.5k price point given comparable models from Rolex and other makers, but up from there, and I’d rather wait for the market correction and folks looking to unload them for $8k.
Old 17 November 2018, 12:06 AM   #319
cuffs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Why would people who don't give a damn about MSRP agree to this though?
This is like saying if we all agree not to pay over £10k for a Ferrari we'll all get Ferraris for £10k. A nice idea in a theoretical fantasy but in reality people will pay whatever they feel like to get what they want - and quite right too I say.
not sure if I agree. sure folks have the prerogative to spend their money however they wish but point here is paying 2x premium over MRSP. Surely guys willing to do that! cannot be infinte. It will bottom out! it's simple economics of demand and supply.
Paying $20k for a Daytona now buys you the opportunity to venture into an RO or an Overseas (I'll exclude the Aquanaut 5167a as it too suffers the same fate)

Rolex stands to lose out IMHO. Current collectors will stay away. First time buyers will for sure consider their options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Problem is we are all individuals and we have no buyers union either, unlike a Goldman Sachs or Hedge Fund who can issue a mass sell-off and crash a stockmarket in a split second.
True there is no institutional players here but as a community, we're not exactly small either looking at the size of the population here.

I've been a collector for years and passive on forums and such but recent trends have force me to come out and its simply not healthy for the whole watch industry. Manufacturers need to play an active role.

I for one am glad that the manufacturers are starting to withdraw from Basel, SIHH and the likes indicating some preference to engage customers directly.
Old 17 November 2018, 02:33 AM   #320
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I'm giving my AD until April 1st 2019 to produce a BLRO for me, otherwise I'm going the grey route. That will be one year from when I placed my order with them, and the week following the new Basel releases. Hopefully, by then I'll be able to get a BLRO for a semi-decent price if my AD hasn't come through for me. It's a shame, but this ridiculous wait has already diluted so much excitement and enthusiasm I initially had when the BLRO was unveiled. Now, I'm mostly just aggravated and frustrated at this whole process!
Old 17 November 2018, 02:39 AM   #321
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Does anyone that won’t pay more than msrp ever get a hot watch?? Percentage wise, it’s got to be horrible odds getting a hot watch at msrp. I have 3 decades in the Rolex ownership and begrudgingly had a reality check that it’s never going back to the way it was. In 30 years that I have owned Rolex, it has never ever been close to what is going on now. It’s unprecedented, so how can anyone assume it will go back to the way it was?? Rolex is a trust and doesn’t have to bend to any finatual markets going up or down. The rules have changed and so have my strategies on how to buy a new Rolex. No one is going to “dump” for under market value. Market values are not going to go down by any signifigant rate. My only regret is I didn’t buy more Rolex watches in the 90’s.
Old 17 November 2018, 02:51 AM   #322
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Does any one that won’t pay more than msrp ever get a hot watch??.
Yes. Loads of those VIPs who spend £xxx,000 year on jewelery / watches will get from their grateful AD the new hot watches at MSRP.
But for everyone else piping the "never more than MSRP" mantra it translates as "never owning the watch".
Old 17 November 2018, 03:42 AM   #323
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I'd settle around $12k, but I'd much prefer MSRP so I could have my name on the warranty card.
Old 17 November 2018, 04:22 AM   #324
GMTROIS
"TRF" Member

I am actually grateful for the initial frenzy and for me being frugal and NOT wanting to spend way above MSRP... because it confirmed for me that I was not REALLY in love with that watch. Instead, I will keep enjoying my BLNR and my Speedys while still hunting for other bargains.
Won’t feed the flippers and other scalpers... nope!!
Old 17 November 2018, 05:31 AM   #325
JBrown717
"TRF" Member

Msrp.
Old 17 November 2018, 07:07 AM   #326
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
MSRP + 7% (would pay that in tax) + 5% finders fee .... :-). Buying for $16K - $18K means you are destined to lose at least $5K when supply catches up. Not everyone likes GMT's or PEPSI's ..
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
Old 17 November 2018, 09:57 PM   #327
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
MSRP + 7% (would pay that in tax) + 5% finders fee .... :-). Buying for $16K - $18K means you are destined to lose at least $5K when supply catches up. Not everyone likes GMT's or PEPSI's ..
Exactly what I think - I got mine MSRP but after having it on my wrist for a couple of weeks, the honeymoon is over.

I’m not a flipper but probably my BLRO (+cash) will be traded for an Aquanat - that’s a real lovely piece
Old 17 November 2018, 10:03 PM   #328
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
You sure prices are coming down? WF have one for near £16K/$20K, more than double retail. BLNR is also approaching £11K too.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...44/item/123435
Old 17 November 2018, 10:09 PM   #329
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You sure prices are coming down? WF have one for near £16K/$20K, more than double retail. BLNR is also approaching £11K too.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...44/item/123435
Prices are definitely dropping (check Chrono24) but there is a lot grey dealers in Germany which has been dropping the prices continuously.

About 6 months ago they were advertised for 16K, today they are on sale for 14K - 2K drop in just 6 months.

Daytona is the only one which keeps prices rising at the moment and the SD4000 (cause it’s discontinued)

The BLNR , I really don’t understand the prices coming up and down all the time. Difficult to predict that one.
Old 21 November 2018, 12:44 PM   #330
cuffs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Does anyone that won’t pay more than msrp ever get a hot watch?? Percentage wise, it’s got to be horrible odds getting a hot watch at msrp. I have 3 decades in the Rolex ownership and begrudgingly had a reality check that it’s never going back to the way it was. In 30 years that I have owned Rolex, it has never ever been close to what is going on now. It’s unprecedented, so how can anyone assume it will go back to the way it was?? Rolex is a trust and doesn’t have to bend to any finatual markets going up or down. The rules have changed and so have my strategies on how to buy a new Rolex. No one is going to “dump” for under market value. Market values are not going to go down by any signifigant rate. My only regret is I didn’t buy more Rolex watches in the 90’s.
Agree! it'll never go back to the way it was! Socioeconomics not affords more folks to 'invest' in a Rolex. Especially in Asia where it's seen more of a status symbol than anything else.

In my opinion , it's these buyers that are willing to pay these prices. They are non the wiser and simply sees them as investments believing in the brand. the 'trust' as you put it.

For those collectors who simply love the new BLRO and must simply have it.
I don't believe they will 'dump' their pieces. They must have wanted it bad enough to pay the premium and if prices drop now comparatively to what they paid, that's the price to pay (pun intended).

Ultimately one must realized that these are not some limited editions, albeit supply is slow from Rolex SA, they are NOT limited in any way.

Glad market forces are starting to move the price line; i still think Rolex can do more though for their customers from increasing production outputs and managing their ADs better.
Closed Thread