The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 November 2018, 12:25 PM   #61
vernplum
Banned

Watch: Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Ya beat me to it.

vernplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 12:28 PM   #62
Rocketman39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,Hulk,GMTII
The truth is the vast majority of members on this board, including me, have no clue what goes on inside Rolex or why they do it. The best we can do is enjoy the ride. I have enjoyed my Rolex for over 50 years. I enjoy my new ones just as much. Don't you ?
Rocketman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 01:51 PM   #63
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Did someone hurt your feelings, sweetheart?
Old 17 November 2018, 01:57 PM   #64
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I'd rather the angry wis were on my side. Thanks.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 02:36 PM   #65
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

Well this is the only truth I found.
Rolex dominates 27% of the global market shares. The supply for particular models may well be tight, that’s where Rolex ADs come in to capitalise on us Rolex lovers.

Anyway, capitalism is real, very real and everywhere.

I don’t sugar coat the fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homo Sapien X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 02:59 PM   #66
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Complaining about complaining is the new watch meta.

If complaining about complaining about complaining even becomes popular, my post here will hopefully be recognized as a pioneer.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 03:35 PM   #67
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Let's see, Rolex is a non-profit. It's only official purpose is to make money for Rolex. Now that sounds like a very noble cause. I realize they sponsor some arts related ventures but seriously, I can't really see what value they bring to the world other than creating a luxury watch product. IMHO it doesn't justify their status as a non-profit. They are literally rolexing in dough. It's a brilliant plan for creating corporate wealth but hardly worth of adoration for their raison d'etre So what were the complaints about now?.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 03:36 PM   #68
Muxi
"TRF" Member

I think it’s the durability of Rolex models that make people keep coming back for more. They just keep working, you know? That said, I am running out of models to choose. It’s like it’s more of the same with every new incoming.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 03:43 PM   #69
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
rolex is a charitable organization, which makes people consider buying a rolex a donation to the community.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 08:02 PM   #70
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Balogna. Rolex calls their own shots and is more than capable to dealing with the issues listed above. From a buyer's perspective they've been excluded and without a doubt that is Rolex's choice. I say make no apologies for them.

This
Exploradori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 08:41 PM   #71
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

Just buy a vintage datejust. It’s affordable and rock solid. Skip those AD

Homo Sapien X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 10:22 PM   #72
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The OP is obviously entitled to his opinion but I disagree. Rolex is responsible for the current situation and any resolution will involve the company. Specific problem with availability, price, demand can all be discussed by the company and Rolex has remained quite on the subject. The discussion could be had and backed up that Rolex is manipulating the market. With that said, I still like the watches and have 4 in my collection. I will neither step up to protect the current practices nor will I disparage the company as with the information out in the public domain it is partial speculation as to what is going on. I understand the frustration but also understand that things are not the way I wish they were with a lot of thing.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 10:37 PM   #73
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
OP trying to move up a list by sucking up I think.
This!
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 11:22 PM   #74
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
This thread is such a classic example of first-world problem, haha!

“Oh I’m gonna hate on that bad, bad Rolex for not letting me spend my $10,000 on their watches! What do they expect me to do with my $10,000 now?”

Just kidding.. Humoring to see nonetheless!

Deep down I suspect we all love Rolex for what it does, with the difference only in degrees. I may just be projecting but it seems there are increasing posts recently of people getting their new blro’s and Daytona’s from their AD. If my observation is correct I think the thaw in shortage is not far ahead, Rolex’s new policies with its AD network may be working to curb the grays and scalpers.

As long as we continue to do our part in not giving in to the profiteering by the grays and scalpers, the bubble will burst sooner or later and we can once again buy our favorite Rolexes at a sane price.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 11:22 PM   #75
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Nope. Rolex is a big boy. If they dont like it they can change. If they dont care they wont. But everyone is entitled to opine on the state things.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 11:24 PM   #76
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Great post. Rolex is firing on all cylinders and doing better than ever IMO.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:29 AM   #77
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieBT View Post
+1. Rolexs are not affordable on an average salary anymore. I honestly think this is why Tudor is doing so well as of late.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
My final comment in this thread. The fact that Tudor exists and is moving into a more prominent role for the company tells me the company is moving "down scale" to meet the demand for luxury timepieces for a lower level of customer. To read some comments you would think they are a separate company just paying rent to use the facilities. The company could just as well take all those Tudor resources and make more Rolexes if they wanted to. The quality level is not that different. What are the actual differences between an Audi and a Porsche?
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:35 AM   #78
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
No, Rolex is not affordable. In the 50-end of the 1970’s they were expensive but attainable watches that middle class folks were able to obtain. Something like 200 bucks back then. Adjusted for inflation they would be like 1800. They went from a tool/sport watch maker to well selling the same watches but marketing them for a luxury crowd. Now perhaps the fact that watches are no longer really necessary (though still very much in my profession) and in response to the quartz craze went up market so to speak.

However I do agree with the basic premise, most Rolex watches are available to folks who are patient and they have little control over the gray.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 01:18 AM   #79
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Please Stop Unfair Rolex Basher Bashing.

Reminds me of sitting at the breakfast table with my daughter when I catch her complaining about complaining.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 01:56 AM   #80
SconnieBT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega 2504.52
Design design design! Audi can't touch Porsche on their history and design. But Audi has it's own unique design and following. And likewise with tudor. Tudors used to be essentially the same as Rolex besides the movement. Tudor Submariners for instance. Tudor has now branched out and created their own original designs. And people are responding to them. For most watch enthusiasts, if the design doesn't speak to them, regardless of how great the movement etc is, they aren't buying the watch. Omega knows what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
My final comment in this thread. The fact that Tudor exists and is moving into a more prominent role for the company tells me the company is moving "down scale" to meet the demand for luxury timepieces for a lower level of customer. To read some comments you would think they are a separate company just paying rent to use the facilities. The company could just as well take all those Tudor resources and make more Rolexes if they wanted to. The quality level is not that different. What are the actual differences between an Audi and a Porsche?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
SconnieBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 07:12 AM   #81
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Last year my AD thanked me for buying a Submariner with a discount. This year l thanked my AD for taking my 9k in exchange for a Blnr. I can't bash but give credit to Rolex. In the past year they have made the brand more exclusive than ever before.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 09:24 AM   #82
Castlesinthesky
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few :)
A lot has been said about availability of some Rolex models both for and against increasing supply. We know that Rolex has no shareholders calling for increased dividends but its also true that all companies need to progress. So, how might this progress take shape?

We know that Rolex has relaunched the Tudor brand and that it has enjoyed great success with this endeavor. We would certainly expect this to have generated a good deal of revenue. Can we make the assumption that with all this extra revenue Rolex can afford to reduce the availability of some of its own models and deliberately sacrifice some Rolex revenue in order to make the brand a little less accessible, a little more prestigious? Could the strategy be to rely more on Tudor for revenue each year thus allowing Rolex to become increasing less accessible?
Castlesinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 09:48 AM   #83
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Funny post. But different. you know, RM has a problem.. mNo matter how much he raises the price, people will beg him to buy those pieces. I was watching a you tube interview. As long as there are crazy people out there to pay premium for a ss watch, Rolex can do whatever..

nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 10:02 AM   #84
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
No-one knows why Rolex do what they do, apart from Rolex. We’re all just strapped in for the ride. We’re all right where they want us to be. Lol

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 10:18 AM   #85
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman39 View Post
The truth is the vast majority of members on this board, including me, have no clue what goes on inside Rolex or why they do it. The best we can do is enjoy the ride. I have enjoyed my Rolex for over 50 years. I enjoy my new ones just as much. Don't you ?
No truer words...
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 10:24 AM   #86
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
Yep. My first Tudor, a North Flag, is an incredible watch. Perhaps Tudor will take over the SS aspect of Rolex? I have no idea, but whenever I walk into my beloved AD, the glass cases are empty save PM Rolexes.
Old 18 November 2018, 10:25 AM   #87
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
Great post. Rolex is firing on all cylinders and doing better than ever IMO.
...And...this is hard to argue with...for the business of Rolex. How it impacts the future, who can say. I’d think somewhat negatively, at least from the perspective of WISs.
Old 18 November 2018, 10:30 AM   #88
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
This thread is such a classic example of first-world problem, haha!

“Oh I’m gonna hate on that bad, bad Rolex for not letting me spend my $10,000 on their watches! What do they expect me to do with my $10,000 now?”

Just kidding.. Humoring to see nonetheless!

Deep down I suspect we all love Rolex for what it does, with the difference only in degrees. I may just be projecting but it seems there are increasing posts recently of people getting their new blro’s and Daytona’s from their AD. If my observation is correct I think the thaw in shortage is not far ahead, Rolex’s new policies with its AD network may be working to curb the grays and scalpers.

As long as we continue to do our part in not giving in to the profiteering by the grays and scalpers, the bubble will burst sooner or later and we can once again buy our favorite Rolexes at a sane price.
I do think, even amongst the bitterest complainers, that TRF members love the fact that their Rolexes are paragons of value retention. Over and above all other mechanical watch brands.

I think you make a great point here.
Old 18 November 2018, 11:41 AM   #89
ian.thomas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Hey guys!

I've been busy and just now seeing this awesome thread. I've got the grill going so who wants a burger and who wants a hotdog? Of course the popcorn is fresh as is the koolaid.

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:17 PM   #90
cajerseyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me find "the one"
Wouldn’t it be great sitting in on the Rolex board meetings as their social media officer reads select threads from TRF that show how emotional their customers are about the brand, market and specific pieces.

IMO they revamped Tudor to be their high volume brand while making Rolex their luxury line with hard to get pieces and high priced easy to get pieces.

One thing is clear. Whatever they are doing it’s working. :)