The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 November 2018, 05:32 PM   #31
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
the green sub is a very hard to get pieces, just next to the ss Daytona I think. may be you could try the black sub, would be a lot easier.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 07:15 PM   #32
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post

I recently got a green sub in the UK and it was a bit of a wait(repeat customer) and with discontinuing likely, you may better paying over the odds.

I paid a premium for mine, AD who I have history wit,said it would be at least a year, I wasn't willing to take the risk of it being discontinued.

The prices were rising fast and I'm pleased I bought when I did as it would now probably cost me another £1k and that was only 4 Months ago
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 07:25 PM   #33
Godfather111
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Step
You'll eventually find one. There are tons in the market, just hoarded by grey resellers and sold through the backdoor by unscrupulous ADs.

It's just a matter of timing and how much over retail you're willing to pay.

I paid 11% over retail for my 116610LV late last year. Part of me still regrets doing that having been gouged like that. I don't regret having the watch though, it is a beautiful piece.
Godfather111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 07:43 PM   #34
rambo99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather111 View Post
You'll eventually find one. There are tons in the market, just hoarded by grey resellers and sold through the backdoor by unscrupulous ADs.

It's just a matter of timing and how much over retail you're willing to pay.

I paid 11% over retail for my 116610LV late last year. Part of me still regrets doing that having been gouged like that. I don't regret having the watch though, it is a beautiful piece.
you are a lucky guy that you get it so early. I got my hulk bnib last month and paid over 60% premium, and need to sell my sub no date.
Old 13 November 2018, 08:13 PM   #35
Well:Timed
Banned

Asked my AD and got one in two months after paying 20%... guess I was lucky. They have removed the stickers and kept them, along with the card. No big deal, I have no intention of ever selling it! Guess I was lucky!
Well:Timed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 08:17 PM   #36
Pringle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 116610LN
Last year, I traded my 2014 Submariner 116613LB for a month old Submariner date 116610LN at Watchfinder. I found them good to deal with and was happy despite paying over list.

I had purchased the LB at a 12% discount originally though...
Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 08:30 PM   #37
rambo99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well:Timed View Post
Asked my AD and got one in two months after paying 20%... guess I was lucky. They have removed the stickers and kept them, along with the card. No big deal, I have no intention of ever selling it! Guess I was lucky!
AD sell watches at 20% premium?! that is insane.
Old 13 November 2018, 10:00 PM   #38
Well:Timed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
AD sell watches at 20% premium?! that is insane.
I paid a 20% deposit, purchased at the AD for retail price.
Well:Timed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 10:22 PM   #39
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieKerrison View Post

What are the alternatives? I do want to buy from a retailer because I am a bit cautious from buying anywhere else, I really don’t want get scammed and drop thousands of pounds on a fake.

There is no alternative since you ruled out the quickest way - IMHO, no problem with trusted sellers here selling you one - but your cautiousness will mean a long wait.

Buying from the AD is safest and you won’t be paying any ridiculous price premium that the grey market is asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 10:26 PM   #40
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Watchfinder, watchclub and watchcentre in London are all reputable sellers if you choose to go grey and get some of your life back.
you have a way with words Neil
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 10:37 PM   #41
AlfieKerrison
"TRF" Member

Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses. I think it is pretty clear I need to look elsewhere and not rely on the ADs. I am going to have a look and see what is about. Have had a little look around and it seems most of them are selling for just under 10k!
AlfieKerrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 10:38 PM   #42
AlfieKerrison
"TRF" Member

I really do want this watch, I am a fan of the black no date submariner so maybe I should settle for that one as it will be easier and cheaper to get.
AlfieKerrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 10:43 PM   #43
rambo99
Banned

Quote:
thanks for clarification.
Old 13 November 2018, 10:45 PM   #44
rambo99
Banned

Quote:
I really do want this watch, I am a fan of the black no date submariner so maybe I should settle for that one as it will be easier and cheaper to get.
the no date sub is easy to get from ADs if you wanted it.
Old 13 November 2018, 10:56 PM   #45
ashokleyland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060,PAM,DJ
No date sub randomly pops up on AD, just try your luck.

3 months ago its available on my nearby AD, but it's on Abu Dhabi.

In your situation go to nearby big cities.
Old 13 November 2018, 11:50 PM   #46
el-heffe
"TRF" Member

It took me almost a year and a half to get mine. It's hard to be patient, but I was in love with the watch. I don't know if it helps but I've always been very friendly and kind to my AD salesperson. They let me know when I'm next in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
el-heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 12:35 AM   #47
Kuchars22
"TRF" Member

I have the black sub and batman. I really like the 16600 Sea dweller too and I'm looking for a well worn one so I can carry on using it as a daily beater. However, it does look too similar to the black Sub. So my thinking was to replace the sub with the hulk, and then the black sports watch will be reserved for the sea-dweller. Then I'll have blue, black and green divers watches!

So that would be my motivation for getting a hulk, but I can't get anything under £9k. If I were you I'll get the black sub first - enjoy it, and you'll never know, you might find an opportunity to flip it with a hulk - some people regret getting the hulk and want to go to the black sub.

You'll also familiarise yourself with the sub, so when it comes to upgrading or flipping, you'll be much more aware of what to look for when the hulk opportunity arises outside of an AD.
Kuchars22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 01:26 AM   #48
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
As posters have said here, Rolex has drastically cut production on SS sports. Why is anybody's guess. But they can and they did. People who think they are being delivered but just held back by the ADs for best customers are mistaken. The market for 10K mechanical watches is just not as robust as some may think and the current frenzy is being driven by non supply. There was time when dealers always had Subs in the case. As they sold they just got more. Now they cannot them.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 01:49 AM   #49
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
you have a way with words Neil
Just a quick way of saying you could be waiting ages.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 01:53 AM   #50
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Be patient, this is not a "must have" item! Unless, you have money to waste by paying premiums..
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 02:14 AM   #51
Conora
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which AD allowed you to place a deposit if you don't mind me asking?
Conora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 02:22 AM   #52
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
Contact this guy!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=639441
Old 14 November 2018, 02:24 AM   #53
harvey
"TRF" Member

I have previously read on this forum David M Robinson takes a deposit but, not sure on what references.
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 04:02 AM   #54
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
You really only have three choices. Have patience and wait for your AD, purchase from a trusted seller (there are several on this site), or forget about the LVc and move on. When it comes to watches, I have the patience of my 8 year old so I've purchased a few watches from trusted sellers at a bit of a premium.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 04:11 AM   #55
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
114060 no date is a fantastic watch.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 04:38 AM   #56
R!$
Banned

have your dealer ship it to you
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 05:03 AM   #57
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoach32 View Post
You really only have three choices. Have patience and wait for your AD, purchase from a trusted seller (there are several on this site), or forget about the LVc and move on..
My local AD will not even add me to a 'list of interest' for an LV so that removes choice 1..
Really annoying OP, I feel your pain.. and this 'list' is just a list of nonsense and I have proof:

I was/am on the 'list' for a Pepsi at my local AD. A business acquaintance of mine was not on the list. His father bought a PM Daytona (white gold with leather strap) and they pulled out a Pepsi and sold it to my colleague..he didn't even really want it and doesn't wear it, he bought it just because it was there and its rare (no he won't sell me it and I wouldn't even ask). They offered it to him because they couldn't give him the SS Daytona he's on a list for. They already had the PM sale in the bag, so there was no need to 'buy that to get this'
To blazes with selling to someone on the list that actually 'really' wants it. I can't get on a list anywhere else.

Named and shamed: Robbie @ MAPPIN & WEBB GLENEAGLES - and they won't reply to my emails either, 3 polite messages ignored, was just trying to update my contact number in case I was to get the call..
thesharkfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 05:11 AM   #58
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
I paid a premium for mine, AD who I have history wit,said it would be at least a year, I wasn't willing to take the risk of it being discontinued.

The prices were rising fast and I'm pleased I bought when I did as it would now probably cost me another £1k and that was only 4 Months ago
Some UK sellers are pricing the Hulk at £13k. That is Pepsi money. I bought mine earlier this year from a grey for £8k (unworn with full set) and I'm starting to think that was a ridiculous bargain.
Crazy times.
In answer to OP .... "only from a grey" (mine gave me a better buying experience than I would get from an AD too. They are not all sharks).
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 09:12 AM   #59
Compo
"TRF" Member

I bought my LV from Watchfinder at £7,750 about a year ago. Last week I got a call out of the blue from the Rolex Boutique on Bond Street saying they had one for me - I had gone in there just before buying from Watchfinder to get on their list, they said it was closed but I could go on a pre-list but I would be waiting years, and that they would want a deposit to go on the actual list when another slot became free. Needless to say that drove me to get one from the greys.

I am not sure how or why they suddenly called me, I've never bought from there and they don't know me. Maybe the story about the quick sale is right and I was the first to pick up the phone. Went in and got it on Saturday and sold my old one back to Watchfinder yesterday.

If you want one from an AD you may get lucky - but I don't think you can really ever know where you stand on the list or even if there is one. The only way to be sure is to go to a grey dealer - there's plenty of supply and I think if you shop around you should be able to get one around £8.5-£9k (not an un-worn model though)

I was in Tokyo a few weeks back - one of the dealers had about 20 on one shelf, all in perfect condition.
Compo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 10:23 AM   #60
Rilz
"TRF" Member

If you can't wait then go grey.
Rilz is offline   Reply With Quote