The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 November 2018, 08:14 AM   #151
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404| View Post
Tbh it looks fantastic. I actually might look at getting one. Need see one in the flesh!

The flaws happen in every company... we had a thread not so long ago where many members posted about their sunburst Rolex dials... Tudor GMT date issue.... dust/ fragments under the glass on new watches... this is nothing new for ANY company.

He even said Omega are working with him to resolve it. I mean in reality what more can you ask? No companies produce flawless anything...

It would only be bad if they turned around and said "LOOKS FINE MATE" but they didn't. It's also only £3,600 - that's a total steal... Makes the Submariner seem disgustingly overpriced.

The movement is METAS certified to +0-5s a day... that's fantastic.
How many of us here on this forum aren't happy when we've got a watch that is running slow...
The 300m and the Railmaster are about the closest Omega comes to getting my money. In the case of the 300m it's got some polished details that bug me and it's also too large. In short: it can't beat the BB58. Of course I am speaking for my own personal tastes.

The Railmaster is a great looking watch, it just lost to the 214270. No shame there.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 08:41 AM   #152
|404|
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
The 300m and the Railmaster are about the closest Omega comes to getting my money. In the case of the 300m it's got some polished details that bug me and it's also too large. In short: it can't beat the BB58. Of course I am speaking for my own personal tastes.

The Railmaster is a great looking watch, it just lost to the 214270. No shame there.
What are the bugs with the 300m in your opinion?
I'm not a fan of the HE valve, but tbh... in real life you'd forget about it very soon. It's only in pictures it looks so weird because you focus on it.

Personally it sounds too big... but I use to own a 41mm Seamaster goldeneye... and that was perfectly sized. I need to see one in the flesh and try it on to decide that. I have a 46mm watch that looks 41mm. The lug to lug measurement is fine... the added height though I'm not a fan of. But I will have to check one out in real life.

vs the bb 58... well it has a date. Date > no date.

I'd love a BB58 with a date, I really hope they make one.
|404| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 08:49 AM   #153
Brny11
"TRF" Member

In theory maybe. Owned two Omegas and never wore either. My Tudor gets more wrist time than my SubC.

Imo tudors are MUCH more of a pleasure to own, even if In theory some believe Omega’s are “better” watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 09:23 AM   #154
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
For the beach I would get a Seiko SKX. I have a SKX 175 and had it modified.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 404F424A-B145-453B-8D07-5D7F08264354.jpeg (135.7 KB, 460 views)

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 09:27 AM   #155
Sal_UKSheffield
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the HE valve, but tbh... in real life you'd forget about it very soon. It's only in pictures it looks so weird because you focus on it.

Personally it sounds too big... but I use to own a 41mm Seamaster goldeneye... and that was perfectly sized. I need to see one in the flesh and try it on to decide that. I have a 46mm watch that looks 41mm. The lug to lug measurement is fine... the added height though I'm not a fan of. But I will have to check one out in real life.

James you need to try it

The 300m is a great watch- not a fan of the HV either but the profile of the watch is spot on and the dial is really nice. I am waiting for the hype to die down and if i get a 20% discount on RRP i will deffo get one
Sal_UKSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 09:30 AM   #156
|404|
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_UKSheffield View Post
James you need to try it

The 300m is a great watch- not a fan of the HV either but the profile of the watch is spot on and the dial is really nice. I am waiting for the hype to die down and if i get a 20% discount on RRP i will deffo get one
Black or Blue?

I've always been a blue seamaster man... but after looking at youtubes... the black is just mesmerising.

I will go see one at Meadowhall, Sheffield when I'm back home!
|404| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 12:52 PM   #157
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:

In general Omega puts too many polished details on their watches for my taste. PCLs, polishing on the top of the lugs, etc. Also you mentioned the HEV which is something else I could definitely do without.

The above being said, I admittedly have not really checked one out up close in person. I’ve not had one on my wrist. We spend so much time here micro analyzing every last detail of a piece in massive, high res photos. I’ve talked myself out of a number of watches I might love in person. Example: I had the opportunity to buy a Sub C but turned it down because I convinced myself the bezel was too shiny and the case was too big. Still wondering if I made a bad call on that one.

As for the date issue with the BB58, I’m in the no date club. Another thing that draws me to it.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 01:54 PM   #158
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Also you mentioned the HEV which is something else I could definitely do without.
The HEV on the latest Seamsaster Diver is shaped like the cap on a toothpaste tube. It takes something that is already unnecessary for the vast majority of wearers and makes it uglier and even more noticeable. If they really want to improve the watch, they'd get rid of the valve altogether. I hate that thing, and I'm generally an Omega fan.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 02:08 PM   #159
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
I've got a 2017 Seamaster "diver" 300m and a 2018 Tudor GMT.

The Omega feels more quality, the Omega gets more wrist time but the Omega is my daily. The Tudor is saved for "going out" and events, it does get a lot more comments when out and about. Neither watch are really "special" thought just that the GMT is a little harder to get at the moment.

Omega is definetly a different level but what I like about Tudor is, normal people don't know the brand, people that know, know.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 03:14 PM   #160
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Haha fair enough.

Look, I don’t love loads of Omega’s. There are a handful of modern references, and a couple of older models, that I think are fantastic.

Nice collection there.
Thank you! Mate
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 03:26 PM   #161
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

I personally think that would depend on which omega you were looking at, omegas have some models that seem like a glorified swatch to some like myself (these days) and if you want to see what they manage take a look at their umbrella, speed master (not limited edition models) are pretty solid in my opinion. Tudor and omega are both dependant on what movement they have inside. So do your homework, a lot of people like James Bond therefore omega in my opinion which doesn’t make it a quality watch. They have a shocking aftersales care reputation it seems (or so people say, I’ve never purchased omega or Tudor) Tudor these days are going quite hard. They are making in house and have a deal with breitling which uses one of their movements.
All opinions are just that and to be honest I believe entry level is rolex, just save a tiny bit more and get that if anything, you really can’t go wrong.

Longines used to be quite amazing eons ago.
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 03:55 PM   #162
GAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post

better than anything coming out of omega atm.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk pro

+1
GAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 04:05 PM   #163
GAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackwheat View Post
Unless Omega can give me +/-1 sec per week accuracy that my Tudor GMT gives me, I’m not buying “the co-axial movement is better” argument.

Amen!
GAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 04:26 PM   #164
Sal_UKSheffield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Black or Blue?

I've always been a blue seamaster man... but after looking at youtubes... the black is just mesmerising.

I was set on blue, but every time I’ve seen them the black wins everytime
Sal_UKSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:16 PM   #165
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Omega is a hell of a lot closer to Rolex than Tudor is to Omega.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 06:38 PM   #166
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post

Overall I'd agree but for MT Tudor models I don't think that is right. I think they still have the edge but not by very much and in a few areas they don't. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 06:57 PM   #167
Bigblack
"TRF" Member

Watch: got a few
Omega > Modern Tudor
Bigblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 10:50 PM   #168
benvh
"TRF" Member

Omega makes really nice watches and their technology is pretty awesome, no doubt. I recently tried on some of the new models at the local AD and I was really impressed. Is the quality better than Tudor? Based on price I sure hope they are! Unfortunately at the moment I'm not in love with any Omega models and my new BB 58 hit all the right notes for me. Considering list price I would spend a little more on a Rolex over Omega. Tudor offers a great value, IMO, considering the BB 58 is half of what a 114060 costs.

Ben
benvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 09:47 AM   #169
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by benvh View Post
Omega makes really nice watches and their technology is pretty awesome, no doubt. I recently tried on some of the new models at the local AD and I was really impressed. Is the quality better than Tudor? Based on price I sure hope they are! Unfortunately at the moment I'm not in love with any Omega models and my new BB 58 hit all the right notes for me. Considering list price I would spend a little more on a Rolex over Omega. Tudor offers a great value, IMO, considering the BB 58 is half of what a 114060 costs.

Ben

Interesting point. If your going to spend the extra coin on a omega might as well get a Rolex for a little more. I really like the new tudors and think they are fantastic values especially the Tudor DD used. I think Tudor going in house movements and with good advertising will close the gap on omega at least in people’s minds.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 10:16 AM   #170
GolfJunkie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
For the beach I would get a Seiko SKX. I have a SKX 175 and had it modified.
That looks uncomfortably tight...
Old 18 November 2018, 10:20 AM   #171
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
No, Tudor is just not on that level. Some Tudors may intersect in quality with cheaper Omegas like the cheaper Speedmasters but Omega has more prestige. Omega certainly isn’t Rolex either. It’s somewhere in the middle. I would say comparable to Breitling.

Don’t get me wrong. Tudor makes an excellent watch. I’m thinking of picking of a red Black Bay 79220R as a daily “beater.” Nice enough but at the same time not something I would worry when working with tools or getting my hands dirty. I always take my Rolex off when doing any of that sort of work. For just 2500 or so great condition/B&P, you really can’t go wrong. I don’t care that it has an ETA instead of their new MT in house movement.
Old 18 November 2018, 12:49 PM   #172
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Omega is a step above Tudor. Does not mean you cant buy a Tudor, wear it the rest of your life and be proud.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 01:50 PM   #173
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I previously owned an Omega Seamaster 300M which I bought new around 2006. I also own a Tudor Black Bay and would consider the Tudor to be superior in terms of finish, accuracy and comfort.

But I understand the new Seamaster has taken a big leap forward, I will have to see how it compares to my DSSD as well as the Black Bay.
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 03:13 PM   #174
B.B.B.
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner lv m
Omega first before any Tudor.
B.B.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 04:20 PM   #175
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Black or Blue?

I bought a blue seamaster (smpc 300) prior to the latest wave dial gen.

My logic was that the Submariner I’d eventually buy would be black, so it made sense to buy the seamaster in blue.

I did buy a sub. My seamaster sits on my desk. Sad, really, because it’s a great watch. But each day, I choose the sub.
Cauhauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 06:19 PM   #176
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfjunkie View Post
that looks uncomfortably tight...

x2
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 07:04 PM   #177
citadel777
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post

Agreed...Omega is way better..they give rolex a run for their money
citadel777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 10:10 PM   #178
jenson
Banned

Tudor is an amazing brand but not to be compare too close to an Omega.
jenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 11:09 PM   #179
Na84
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4x ♛ 4x ]
I own 4 Omega watches (AquaTerra, PlanetOcean, Speedmaster, Vintage Seamaster) but no Tudor, but I am seriously thinking about buying the new GMT. So I think it is more a choice of your taste, since both brands offer great watches. Btw Omega expanded their guarantee time to 5 years for all watches!
Na84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 11:35 PM   #180
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Omega>Tudor>Longines
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote