The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 November 2018, 05:08 AM   #31
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If only they weren’t true.
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:12 AM   #32
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
Many negative feelings, and unfair IMO, with Rolex policy.

WATCHES TOO EXPENSIVE: Many years gone by and no price increases. They are still affordable and to a greater percentage of the world population than before. Want an expensive watch ? Look at a similar Patek Phillipe.

"NOT ENOUGH WATCHES PRODUCED": Rolex is producing as many watches as it possibly can, with greater variety than before for us to choose. That the market has favoritisms than cannot go all fullfilled in not their fault.

"CANNOT CONTROL GRAY DEALERS": In a world market where all have come to love their watches for their price-quality, a gray market is a normal thing and is uncontrollable by them. I don´t see anyone complaining about a $30,000 retail Patek Phillipe being sold for well over 50K in the gray and equally unavailable. And what about all the other limited run Pateks ?

"STICKERS, WARRANTY CARDS, COFFINS ETC".: WE are all at fault for desperately pushing Rolex into these policies in an effort to stop what we don´t like. As a result their actions are also displeasing to those of us who are lucky enough to acquire one of these watches.

Personally, I feel that Rolex is producing ever more watches and ever more beautiful, while keeping them price available. In doing so they have earned worldwide increased acceptance and desire for their watches.

KUDOS to Rolex !!
Oh, yes you do and the most controversial thread of recent years that resulted in some senior members getting banned was largely over this grey and AD as a grey issue. The Rolex stuff is child's play by comparison.

As for price, most think they are too low given their resales and have been for years in the UK for eg. Increasing production to populars would be nice but I understand Rolex are slow and conservative and will not adjust unless a trend is more long term.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:22 AM   #33
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
You can look at pricing changes from two points of view:

1. The person of a "lower" economic level who aspires to own one Rolex in his/her lifetime for a special occasion; marriage, degree, new job, etc.

2. The people making $100K +++ owning three Day-Dates already, upset they can't get the fourth one they want and would like the "club" to be more exclusive with easier availability due to reduced demand from the low end customers.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:32 AM   #34
SconnieBT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega 2504.52
+1. Rolexs are not affordable on an average salary anymore. I honestly think this is why Tudor is doing so well as of late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
You can look at pricing changes from two points of view:

1. The person of a "lower" economic level who aspires to own one Rolex in his/her lifetime for a special occasion; marriage, degree, new job, etc.

2. The people making $100K +++ owning three Day-Dates already, upset they can't get the fourth one they want and would like the "club" to be more exclusive with easier availability due to reduced demand from the low end customers.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
SconnieBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:41 AM   #35
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieBT View Post
+1. Rolexs are not affordable on an average salary anymore. I honestly think this is why Tudor is doing so well as of late.

But a Tudor is not a Rolex. It would take a generation of extensive marketing to get the "man on the street" to consider a Tudor to be the watch of his/her dreams. If and when this happens, Rolex watches would enter the domain of PP, AP, VC, Breguet and the other esoteric brands most middle income people have never heard of.

It reminds me of the little story of the poor guy who dreamed of one day sitting down to a nice steak. After saving up his money he goes to a restaurant, looks at the menu and orders the only steak he can afford....... a Salisbury Steak.
Old 17 November 2018, 05:43 AM   #36
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Please Stop Unfair Rolex Bashing
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:49 AM   #37
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
I think they should downsize to 100 watches a year...charge a zillion bux for each one..and include a house... a car...and a marriage partner..with every watch...
This!
Carondelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:54 AM   #38
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
oh the horror of picking on poor little Rolex. what a joke.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:54 AM   #39
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
KUDOS to Rolex !!

A post based entirely on emotion with no empirical evidence adds little to the debate, so is largely useless except to express one persons view (which that person, of course, is entitled to have).

By the way, there is as much dislike brewing for Patek's policies as well, but with fewer able to aspire the noise is not as loud as it is for Rolex.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 06:05 AM   #40
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
"Let them eat cake"
Old 17 November 2018, 06:08 AM   #41
SconnieBT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But a Tudor is not a Rolex. It would take a generation of extensive marketing to get the "man on the street" to consider a Tudor to be the watch of his/her dreams. If and when this happens, Rolex watches would enter the domain of PP, AP, VC, Breguet and the other esoteric brands most middle income people have never heard of.

It reminds me of the little story of the poor guy who dreamed of one day sitting down to a nice steak. After saving up his money he goes to a restaurant, looks at the menu and orders the only steak he can afford....... a Salisbury Steak.
Quote:
You're right, but Rolex wasn't the Rolex of today back in the 60s either.

Old 17 November 2018, 06:08 AM   #42
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Absolutely!
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 06:12 AM   #43
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
@OP, I guess this confirms that Rolex is on these boards. Didn't think they would be posting though. :)
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 06:22 AM   #44
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
In all seriousness though, Rolex does have the ability to address availability of it's products. For whatever reason, they are choosing not to. They seem to be the only mass produced watch manufacturer that is struggling with demand. I don't think anyone is bashing the brand but rather questioning why Rolex is not addressing the issue, so that buyers of these non-essential luxury items can just walk into an AD, have the "experience" and leave with a watch. Personally, I never buy anything when the perception of a bubble exists. So for me, I will probably pass on the brand and go buy something else. Thankfully there are lots of choices out there. Too bad, as my experience with going into an AD and being blown off or told to get in line has completely turned me off from the brand.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 06:31 AM   #45
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

OP trying to move up a list by sucking up I think.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 06:35 AM   #46
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
I don't think anyone is bashing the brand but rather questioning why Rolex is not addressing the issue, so that buyers of these non-essential luxury items can just walk into an AD, have the "experience" and leave with a watch.
I think this is right. It might come off as bashing the brand, especially in the heat of the moment, but really it's a lament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
Too bad, as my experience with going into an AD and being blown off or told to get in line has completely turned me off from the brand.
Ditto. It's a real bummer.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 06:41 AM   #47
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
this thread is funny. I am enjoying the comments very much.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 07:15 AM   #48
el-heffe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It used to be 500,000 back in 1998 and 20 years later they are double that amount at least, while complicating things with more variety. The variety has pushed many into "owning one of each" so instead of buying a Rolex as a tool watch people became collectors, at a time of economic bonanza.

Do you consider this an easy task ?

That is also why I believe why the Rolex "Bubble" does not exist. Rolex doesn´t like their watches to lose value, so they will see to it that their watches retain their value. If a grey or people in general flood the market selling their Rolex what would that do to their retail sales ? My opinion is a tight leash on supply will be kept so as to prevent this from happenning.
So at the same time you're implying that they're operating at full capacity but also "keeping a tight leash on supply" ?

I have no idea if Rolex is running at full capacity or not but I strongly suspect they've diverted shipments from NA and GB to the Asian region. Maybe it makes business sense to do this, but the people in those regions have every right to be upset about the limited supply.
el-heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 07:19 AM   #49
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
oh the horror of picking on poor little Rolex. what a joke.
Exactly what I thought.

In fact, I thought, what a flakey title.

I genuinely don’t mean any offence to the OP by that, but I realise its a criticism of the title of this thread.

As if Rolex care about any ‘bashing’ they get. They are not manufacturing watches for TRF members, so I say; bash away!

I think Rolex have a cheek on many levels. My sentiments won’t be shared by others on the forum, but that’s fine as this is what forums are about - different opinions.

My next watch won’t be a Rolex. It’ll be an Omega. I appreciate that no one here will care, and least of all Rolex, but I’m going to another brand for my next purchase because I believe the quality is equal and the QC is far better.

I’ll still enjoy wearing the Rolex watches I own, but I’m looking further afield now.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 07:19 AM   #50
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I do not believe Rolex production figures are released. Its pure speculation whether they have remained the same, increased or declined production. Sure seems like there are no SS tool/sports models anywhere regardless of the production numbers.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 07:21 AM   #51
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Sure seems like there are no SS tool/sports models anywhere regardless of the production numbers.
Except at the grays, where there are plenty.
Old 17 November 2018, 09:01 AM   #52
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Quote:
Many negative feelings, and unfair IMO, with Rolex policy.

WATCHES TOO EXPENSIVE: Many years gone by and no price increases. They are still affordable and to a greater percentage of the world population than before. Want an expensive watch ? Look at a similar Patek Phillipe.

"NOT ENOUGH WATCHES PRODUCED": Rolex is producing as many watches as it possibly can, with greater variety than before for us to choose. That the market has favoritisms than cannot go all fullfilled in not their fault.

"CANNOT CONTROL GRAY DEALERS": In a world market where all have come to love their watches for their price-quality, a gray market is a normal thing and is uncontrollable by them. I don´t see anyone complaining about a $30,000 retail Patek Phillipe being sold for well over 50K in the gray and equally unavailable. And what about all the other limited run Pateks ?

"STICKERS, WARRANTY CARDS, COFFINS ETC".: WE are all at fault for desperately pushing Rolex into these policies in an effort to stop what we don´t like. As a result their actions are also displeasing to those of us who are lucky enough to acquire one of these watches.

Personally, I feel that Rolex is producing ever more watches and ever more beautiful, while keeping them price available. In doing so they have earned worldwide increased acceptance and desire for their watches.

KUDOS to Rolex !!

Sorry, your arguments are flawed!
1. Rolex does raise prices every year. I track a number of models and they go up annually.
2. Rolex is producing the wrong mix of models. They need more SS available.
3. Grays can be controlled easily at the AD level by online registration. TAG has initiated.
4. We don’t push Rolex into anything. They make their own decisions.

Nice thread in support of Rolex, just miss information.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 09:02 AM   #53
peterpl
Banned

You got rose colored glasses on with your view of Rolex.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 09:03 AM   #54
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
Sorry, your arguments are flawed!
1. Rolex does raise prices every year. I track a number of models and they go up annually.
What's the source you're checking? Rolex hasn't had a market-wide price increase since 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
miss information.
Does she get a sash with that title?
Old 17 November 2018, 09:05 AM   #55
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieBT View Post

Interesting perspective. Here I was thinking they’re too affordable and it feels like anyone can get one these days. $8k doesn’t feel like an overly large sum of money.... I guess if we think in terms of statistical average salary (which is like in the 40k/50k range in the US) they’re not obtainable.

But then again, the whole point of Rolex is that they’re not average

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 09:20 AM   #56
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
What's the source you're checking? Rolex hasn't had a market-wide price increase since 2012.

Does she get a sash with that title?

I didn’t say market-wide. But I do check about 6 different models on their website every year. On my DJ they have raised the MSRP price from $10,700 in 2016, $10,900 in 2017 and $11,200 in 2018. It’s a common pricing strategy not to announce a market-wide increase but selectively increase models.

That keeps competition guessing.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 09:25 AM   #57
SconnieBT
"TRF" Member

I used to hear military men talk about how they would pay a month's wages for a Rolex. Which, no doubt, is a sh*t load of money for anyone. But people making 40-50K a year that doesn't get them there. Not a new watch at least. So people are either reaching finacially for that Rolex, or they are pretty well off. Which I guess supports your comment that Rolexs are not average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Interesting perspective. Here I was thinking they’re too affordable and it feels like anyone can get one these days. $8k doesn’t feel like an overly large sum of money.... I guess if we think in terms of statistical average salary (which is like in the 40k/50k range in the US) they’re not obtainable.

But then again, the whole point of Rolex is that they’re not average

Old 17 November 2018, 09:31 AM   #58
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

What Rolex has been doing is damned pretty obvious. Lifting up prices of all their watches from vintage to new models.
For years, demand for Rolex watches does not seem to cease, conversely people are willing to pay more and many are buying more Rolex watches for their collection.

Forget about what what Dealers are doing, if the desire for Rolex watches no longer as hot, we shall see a big change in the game.
You will find many Daytona filling up all their shelves.

Truth be told, many can still afford to buy a decent Rolex model, until some of their hot models are no longer affordable by many, the situation would continue on and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homo Sapien X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 09:35 AM   #59
Bobby T
Banned

So Rolex is the good guy and we, the customers/loyalists/collectors, are the bad guys??? You're kind of equating people venting their frustration at Rolex as some sort of bullying or shaming........this isn't elementary school.......its the real world. Rolex doesn't need mommy to come to their defense. The OP is really confused
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 09:47 AM   #60
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby T View Post
So Rolex is the good guy and we, the customers/loyalists/collectors, are the bad guys??? You're kind of equating people venting their frustration at Rolex as some sort of bullying or shaming........this isn't elementary school.......its the real world. Rolex doesn't need mommy to come to their defense. The OP is really confused
Just listen to you. I am even more convinced of my opening post. It is not only bashing it now falls just a tad bit short of hatred. I mean come on guys Rolex is in the business of producing and selling fine watches, it is exactly what they are doing. How would you like their vision and mission statements changed ? Seriously.

This reminds me of the same story of another forum members critizicing a leading flashlight company who by the way, did not need forum member´s business to survive. I guess I just consider it rude.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote