Sorry....
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 10:56 AM   #62
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk45 View Post
I never removed the watch at the airport - I packed it in my backpack at home. At some point, the zipper on my back came undone or wasn't closed properly and fell out between me getting out of the car and going to TSA.

Just a thought - are you still out of town or have you had a chance to check at home/get someone at home to confirm it's not lying on the floor/bed/carpet in your house? Is it possible your bag was left unzipped from home? How are you certain the zipper came undone only after getting out of the car at SFO? Still hoping you somehow manage to find this...
Old 24 November 2018, 03:12 PM   #63
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I absolutely will never be able to understand why people do not do this. More money than brains or too much money to not GAF. I have mine on my policy literally hours, if not immediately, within acquisition. Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Some people are high risk. Where is the seemingly perpetual JM won't insure me thread when you need it?
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 02:37 AM   #64
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that!

few things!
1. Watch is safest on your wrist.
2. if traveling with more than 1 watch, have the others in your carry on and not a back back or in a secure secret pocket.
3. Airports are FULL of cameras - can't imagine they can't track down the incident.
4. Hope you had it insured!

Good luck
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 02:54 AM   #65
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Just a thought - are you still out of town or have you had a chance to check at home/get someone at home to confirm it's not lying on the floor/bed/carpet in your house? Is it possible your bag was left unzipped from home? How are you certain the zipper came undone only after getting out of the car at SFO? Still hoping you somehow manage to find this...
I am positive it was in my bag because i packed it as I was walking out. Agree that there must be a camera angle that caught the moment I lost it/it was picked up. Just stuck waiting for the police take action - I will be following up today once I land back at SFO as I am currently en route.
jbk45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 03:17 AM   #66
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am positive it was in my bag because i packed it as I was walking out. Agree that there must be a camera angle that caught the moment I lost it/it was picked up. Just stuck waiting for the police take action - I will be following up today once I land back at SFO as I am currently en route.

Let’s hope you get lucky !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 06:15 AM   #67
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Are you certain it didn't fall out in your ride to the airport?

Good luck!
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 07:03 AM   #68
mpatton4re
"TRF" Member

I feel so bad for you. It's terrible to lose things like this. I learned a long time ago... never travel with your "good stuff". When I go out of town, I only take things I'm willing to lose or have damaged.
mpatton4re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 07:56 AM   #69
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Are you certain it didn't fall out in your ride to the airport?

Good luck!
Thank you! I am certain - I spoke to my Lyft driver as soon as I realized and I do believe he was honest with me. I also looked back at the seat on my way out as a matter of habit and know it didn't fall out there.
Old 27 November 2018, 04:36 AM   #70
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
Bad luck! Hopefully the security cameras help.
Old 27 November 2018, 06:27 AM   #71
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
Some people are high risk. Where is the seemingly perpetual JM won't insure me thread when you need it?
They (JM) denied me for an arbitrary reason (one credit account open less than 6 months even though my 3 CC's carried 0 balance and high credit score). I ended up going through USAA, but still, it happens.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 06:30 AM   #72
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
OP, I would advise you to post the serial number on this thread ASAP. It is not because of "validating" any issue with your integrity, but because it is then searchable on the WWW. If someone tries to sell it and the buyer is an informed buyer and requests the SN to search, this thread will pop up and prove that it is then a "stolen" watch.

Getting the SN to AP is a good start, and reporting it to the police, as well; but buyers won't have access to those databases.

Good luck.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 04:41 PM   #73
diegohwang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
that’s sucks man! I never take off my watch when i go thru security checks at the airport. just politely ask if they will allow you. most of the times they’ll say yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram: @zenwatchcollection
diegohwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 04:43 PM   #74
YoungMoneyAssassin
"TRF" Member

My man, let me start by saying that I am very sorry for this loss. Unfortunately some people in this world think that stealing is an acceptable behavior.

At the end of the day, regardless of how deep into the hobby we may all be, it was just a material possession. The important things in life are health, family, happiness etc. I hope you have at least 1/3 mentioned, in which case, you are absolutely BLESSED. You will get through this, keep your head up, it's just a watch.

Lastly, I have a piece of more immediately actionable advice: Please post pictures along with the serial number ASAP. Anyone Google-ing the serial number will find this post and figure out pretty immediately that the timepiece is stolen. Furthermore, I don't really see any downside posting the serial number of a watch that is most likely not going to be recovered at this point (sorry if that hurts to hear, but I want to be honest with you given the circumstances - I'm sure you already know this).

Best of luck my man. With hard work, determination and a good attitude, I'm sure you'll be in a position to purchase another luxury timepiece in no time.

Cheers,
YoungMoneyAssassin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 09:07 AM   #75
66Berret
Banned

Insurance is always the best policy. sorry mate
66Berret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 09:26 AM   #76
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
OP will you be posting the serial number soon?
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 03:04 PM   #77
holdtime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
JBK, don’t pay attention to the negativity brought up here. Lots of people are brave and smart until something hits them. Just human nature I guess. Bad times, in my experience, do not last. You will swim out, and I am sure if that.

Folks, let’s be civil here. No need to be negative. Let’s help the brother out.
+ One.
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 03:39 PM   #78
gaoxing84
Banned

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
damn! sorry for your lost man. I can totally relate on being scammed but having to lose a sub 20k watch. must be painful.

i hope you either get the watch back or at least some cash back from your credit card.

i know theft can happen inflight while you're sleeping. My aunt lost 500 USD during a flight from Singapore to Dubai, it happened inflight. They will target those who are sleeping soundly and is unaware of their surrounding.
gaoxing84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 06:15 PM   #79
Rolexwatch12
"TRF" Member

This is a bad news, Sorry about that
Rolexwatch12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 12:35 PM   #80
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the delayed response - i haven’t had the stomach to log on and check the thread.

The serial # is K23369

On a positive note, I was contacted by the SFO Airport Police and they were able to get some answers on the security camera footage.

1. It literally flew out of my back pack through a small opening in the zipper as i was getting out of the car - the momentum of slinging the bag around my shoulder launched it into the roadway.

2. Several cars drove over it - tho it’s unclear if the wheels went over the case or if they simply passed over it without crushing the watch case.

3. They saw someone pick it up and walk off and are in the process of identifying them.

I’m still waiting on an update from my CC company on the purchase protection. There are a couple of scenarios here but my hope is obviously that they ID the person who picked it up, locate them and recover my watch in the same condition in which it was found. If the person sold it, that’s going to be a whole other can of worms.

In the event it was damaged by a car running over it, if recovered, hopefully my purchase protection will be able to cover the cost of repairs (up to $10K) - again, assuming they watch is recovered.

I’ll keep this thread updated as I get more info - thanks, again, to everyone that’s sent good vibes and shared valuable insight with me.

I’ll keep holding out hope for a Christmas miracle.
Old 30 November 2018, 01:18 PM   #81
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Glad to hear that things are turning around. If the watch has some substantial damage, perhaps you'll get lucky if whoever "found it" tries to send it in for a repair. Have you notified AP? If you bought the watch brand new, did you create an online account and register the watch with your name?

Good luck, man!
Old 30 November 2018, 02:23 PM   #82
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Good news - keep the updates coming

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 03:07 PM   #83
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Glad to hear that things are turning around. If the watch has some substantial damage, perhaps you'll get lucky if whoever "found it" tries to send it in for a repair. Have you notified AP? If you bought the watch brand new, did you create an online account and register the watch with your name?

Good luck, man!
Yes to all of the above. It’s registered and tagged in the system as stolen so if sent in, I’ll be good.
Old 30 November 2018, 05:07 PM   #84
Rocket launcher
Banned

My heart goes out to you
That b-stard on this very site that conned you and now this
I wish you well and a luck change very soon
I hope your fortuned
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 09:26 AM   #85
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
My heart goes out to you
That b-stard on this very site that conned you and now this
I wish you well and a luck change very soon
I hope your fortuned
I think about these experiences every single day and all I can do is shake my head. It's also difficult to share these experiences with folks outside of this community because most regular people cannot comprehend spending as much as we do on watches so I just kind of grin and bear it. Enjoying this hobby is a real privilege and luxury but the losses are real and substantial. Fingers still crossed that I'll get a lucky bounce and my 15400 - one of my all time grails - will be recovered.
Old 1 December 2018, 05:26 PM   #86
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
For all who do not insure, I have a question. Why did you think the AD/Boutique or even gray gives you an appraisal at time of purchase? We insure cars which depreciate like rocks but silly enough to not insure a watch, which in many cases has a higher value than a car and holds its value better? Sorry for being a jerk but this was always just common sense to me. And we aren't talking about 5k datejusts here in this particular sub forum either, so even more mind boggling.

I feel like we see these types of stories way more than we should given the types of people you would expect to be here buying $20k+ watches. It really is just bizarre to me and hope we stop seeing these threads, getting them insured is very easy and inexpensive given what we are spending on these pieces.

I live in a relatively low risk area and JM quotes me 1.5% of insured value per year. The coverage is not worth that amount to me so I self insure and use a safe deposit box to store pieces not currently being worn.

Also I don’t insure my car because I’m worried about loss of value. I insure it for liability.
Old 1 December 2018, 06:15 PM   #87
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I live in a relatively low risk area and JM quotes me 1.5% of insured value per year. The coverage is not worth that amount to me so I self insure and use a safe deposit box to store pieces not currently being worn.

Also I don’t insure my car because I’m worried about loss of value. I insure it for liability.
Ah, you might qualify in the camp that someone earlier called "too much money to (not) GAF". Not that you don't care, and it wouldn't upset you to lose a watch, but it wouldn't devastate you*.

I believe you also move a lot of watches through your collection, so insuring your watches might also be an unreasonable burden to you? I don't insure my cheaper watches, but I do have my priciest ones insured, and I don't plan to move those.

*I'm the same way on extended warranty add ons on electronics or appliances--I self-insure, and will just pay out of my own savings if something needs to be replaced after initial warranty period.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 10:24 PM   #88
Gh0st0
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you are on your way to getting it back, hopefully sooner rather than later. Was your contact info in the case?
Gh0st0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 10:31 PM   #89
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

LOST MY 15400ST Ruthenium!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Ah, you might qualify in the camp that someone earlier called "too much money to (not) GAF". Not that you don't care, and it wouldn't upset you to lose a watch, but it wouldn't devastate you*.

I believe you also move a lot of watches through your collection, so insuring your watches might also be an unreasonable burden to you? I don't insure my cheaper watches, but I do have my priciest ones insured, and I don't plan to move those.

*I'm the same way on extended warranty add ons on electronics or appliances--I self-insure, and will just pay out of my own savings if something needs to be replaced after initial warranty period.

Definitely in that camp based on his message. Which is fine by the way. But I insure all of my watches and it's 100% worth it to me, just for peace of mind alone. Having a 30k watch stolen wouldn't end my financial well being but paying $300/year for it surely isn't going to break the bank. If something does happen, I'm protected.

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 10:32 PM   #90
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

LOST MY 15400ST Ruthenium!!!!!

Double post.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote