The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 1 April 2022, 01:24 AM   #1
TDS
"TRF" Member

"Marketing Take" on Omega Swatch Co-Lab

Came across this article recently, interesting take... makes sense to me but I'm no Marketing expert...

https://www.marketingweek.com/mark-r...h-co-branding/
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 01:55 AM   #2
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I am a marketing expert and I think this hurts Omega's brand at a time when it was prospering the most from the current Rolex situation. It was poised to really be accepted by the WIS community as a viable alternative. Ridicule by those in the know is never good. Plus, those who never thought of a luxury watch and buy it because it's $250.00, aren't exactly the target demo for Omega.

Maybe I'm just too personally biased. I hate the whole thing.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 02:05 AM   #3
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Totally agree Adam...yet over on the Omega Forums the guys think this is the most brilliant move ever made by any company ever...
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 02:16 AM   #4
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
I think they did well with the buzz but failed (miserably) with the execution.
Dye coming off the watch, 75 units available in store for the launch, website that keeps crashing, no online sales for foreseeable future, no strategy at all.

My take on the Omega brand being cheapened by these watches is that it actually made me desire more a genuine speedmaster, so I think they did well.
Old 1 April 2022, 02:24 AM   #5
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera911 View Post
I think they did well with the buzz but failed (miserably) with the execution.
Dye coming off the watch, 75 units available in store for the launch, website that keeps crashing, no online sales for foreseeable future, no strategy at all.

My take on the Omega brand being cheapened by these watches is that it actually made me desire more a genuine speedmaster, so I think they did well.
This. Lot of people reached their drawers and pulled out their real speedies if they had one. Some actually went and bought a new one. I know someone who did just that.

I have the real thing, he told me with a grin I couldn't wipe.

I don't think its all great but it has definitely drawn a lot of attention and that's never a bad thing.

All the forums are still buzzing with MoonSwatch amidst W&W 2022. Which is a big "meh".

Tudor launched a bunch of two tone blackbays and a homage to a Steinhard which was a homage to original Rolex.

Rolex launched... hmm.. well they tweaked. Or subtly changed as you Rolex guys call it, keeping intact its class.

IWC hasn't been relevant in recent years.

So yea... Omega got what they wanted, at least for now.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 02:27 AM   #6
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

My initial understanding is that these were only supposed to be a limited run. That being the case, I thought it was a great marketing move. I went on record saying so. They created a lot of excitement and publicity for Omega.

However, if these are going to be a permanent addition to the Swatch catalog that anyone can easily acquire, then hell no, it’s a terrible marketing decision.

In terms of the actual watches, I’m not some youtuber that’s concerned about losing subscribers, so I am free to speak my mind. The watches are ugly over-priced pieces of junk. Period. You can call me a snob all you want. I don’t give a crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 11:11 AM   #7
cwh812
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
My initial understanding is that these were only supposed to be a limited run. That being the case, I thought it was a great marketing move. I went on record saying so. They created a lot of excitement and publicity for Omega.

However, if these are going to be a permanent addition to the Swatch catalog that anyone can easily acquire, then hell no, it’s a terrible marketing decision.

In terms of the actual watches, I’m not some youtuber that’s concerned about losing subscribers, so I am free to speak my mind. The watches are ugly over-priced pieces of junk. Period. You can call me a snob all you want. I don’t give a crap.

Fully agree with the statement that the watches are over-priced pieces of junk, but they are certainly not ugly. They are actually IMO very beautiful pieces of junk.
cwh812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 12:16 PM   #8
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
It’s a way to promote and give good pr to omega. I think it’s more of a swatch product.

It worked look at the hype generated. Omega has to keep it up to convert swatch buyers to real omega buyers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 07:40 PM   #9
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
I am a marketing expert and I think this hurts Omega's brand at a time when it was prospering the most from the current Rolex situation. It was poised to really be accepted by the WIS community as a viable alternative. Ridicule by those in the know is never good. Plus, those who never thought of a luxury watch and buy it because it's $250.00, aren't exactly the target demo for Omega.

I also agree with Adam. Devalues the brand. Omega should try to compete with Rolex instead of Casio. I really like the new Omega releases, but I am having a hard time feeling the same way about the company at this point, and will pass on the new AT I was considering.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 06:19 AM   #10
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

I don't have a PhD in Marketing, but I have been an Exec in Marketing for 20+ years. And I also believe that this move devalues the brand. Omega is/was the heir apparent for Rolex...the natural solution for aspiring Rolex owners who can't find a Rolex at retails and are unwilling to pay secondary market pricing.

I don't actually believe that the sales of Moonswatches will hurt the sales of the Speedy, I actually think it might help Speedy sales.

But in broad branding terms, the idea of a luxury product to become more successful, it has to be able to fetch ever greater prices for increased margins since production usually doesn't scale up much if at all. In order to fetch greater prices, the brand has to create greater desire which is typically done by making the brand more aspirational.

Omega has done the exact opposite...instead of making the brand more aspirational, they have made it more accessible...even if only in perception.

I am not sure a single, especially limited collab, will dent the positive aspirational trend of Omega watches, but endless production of this product and/or other similar collabs can and will erode the perception.

There is a reason why Rolex sponsors the top-tier athletes of all the sports that are played and watched by the wealthiest individuals on the planet. And there is also a reason why they don't sponsor the top-tier athletes in sports that are overly accessible.

I own a Speedy 3861 and it is a fantastic watch.
atxwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 06:35 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Sure....

Can't wait to put on the old Speedy and have some kid ask me if it's the new 200 dollar Swatch.
Old 2 April 2022, 08:09 AM   #12
Kram In Oz
"TRF" Member

Watch: dj 1603 blue
I trust these (younger than me) guys from Theo & Harris and their watch marketing opinions. And they make me laugh.
https://youtu.be/l70KQ5N1AEQ
Kram In Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 08:16 AM   #13
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

"It’s a fun project and adds some light to an industry that can take itself too seriously." Case in point, most replies in this thread.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 08:55 AM   #14
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
If planting a seed was/is the goal, then they should have been free with an Omega purchase for the dad to hand to their kid… great bonding moment and something to talk about over time.

Also, I don’t think the seed will grow since swatches break so easily the kid will never grow an affinity to purchase the real deal since it will either be tossed or placed in a junk pile.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 09:20 AM   #15
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxwatch View Post
I don't have a PhD in Marketing, but I have been an Exec in Marketing for 20+ years. And I also believe that this move devalues the brand. Omega is/was the heir apparent for Rolex...the natural solution for aspiring Rolex owners who can't find a Rolex at retails and are unwilling to pay secondary market pricing.

I don't actually believe that the sales of Moonswatches will hurt the sales of the Speedy, I actually think it might help Speedy sales.

But in broad branding terms, the idea of a luxury product to become more successful, it has to be able to fetch ever greater prices for increased margins since production usually doesn't scale up much if at all. In order to fetch greater prices, the brand has to create greater desire which is typically done by making the brand more aspirational.

Omega has done the exact opposite...instead of making the brand more aspirational, they have made it more accessible...even if only in perception.

I am not sure a single, especially limited collab, will dent the positive aspirational trend of Omega watches, but endless production of this product and/or other similar collabs can and will erode the perception.

There is a reason why Rolex sponsors the top-tier athletes of all the sports that are played and watched by the wealthiest individuals on the planet. And there is also a reason why they don't sponsor the top-tier athletes in sports that are overly accessible.

I own a Speedy 3861 and it is a fantastic watch.

Your 20+ years as a marketing executive is much more impressive to me than some PHD with limited “real world” experience.

Old 3 April 2022, 02:37 AM   #16
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I think they will sell millions of them.

They will also continue to sell plenty of Speedmasters.

Two different demographics and products.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 03:09 AM   #17
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Swatch should take a good hard look at how Richemont manages ALS instead of making a mockery out of Omega at every opportunity.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 07:18 AM   #18
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:

I agree with you 100%, speaking from the standpoint of a potential consumer.

I've stopped thinking of Omega when I think of "Rolex alternative", and when the Rolex cases are empty and I contemplate a new watch, I currently look at Cartier, VC, and JLC as alternatives.

PS: Why do fan-boys always call it "marketing genius!!" when brands make terrible and stupid mistakes? Or, when random circumstance results in market conditions like shortages. A pandemic shut down the factory and there's supply shortage, must be marketing brilliance!
Old 3 April 2022, 10:04 AM   #19
subdownunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
Quote:

Been saying this all along, Richemont sacrificing Omega for the benefit of Swatch as Swatch are more likely to thrive in the technology driven sales world we are facing.

Look forward to a Swatch Seamaster next if this watch sells.

Profits and shareholder value will always trump sentimentality and Swatch generates far more profit.
subdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 10:06 AM   #20
YoungRolexCollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
Quote:

Couldn’t agree more Adam. I sold my Omega when the Swatch came out. Kills the brand image and Omega’s fundamentals.

YoungRolexCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 10:50 AM   #21
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

With the younger generations not needing to wear a watch to tell time because they all have smartphones, I think the idea of the MoonSwatch is genius, while the execution may not be perfect. It puts the real Speedmaster on an aspirational path for the young.

Anyone who thinks Omega is an viable alternative to Rolex is practicing wishful thinking. Omega will sell you as many Speedmasters as you want for $6K and the resale value will never go up.

Rolex will never sell you anything you want. They sell you what they want at their price. That is power.
Laine V38 - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 08:20 PM   #22
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

The more I think about it the more I think the issue of this collaboration runs deeper than a simple should Omega have done this. Should Omega even be in the position that they need a collaboration with Swatch to generate more interest in their watches? For me at least, I’m not a fan of their 007, Olympics and Hollywood marketing. With better marketing in the past Omega watches should be as desirable as other famous watch brands.

Does the Swatch group place too great an emphasis on profits, often at the cost of diluting classic watches? By that I mean they appear to have so many variations of their watches and the designs change so much that a true classic rarely gets the chance to evolve.

The Swatch group will make massive profits on the MoonSwatches so I guess we will need to wait and see how they invest these profits.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 08:37 PM   #23
cwh812
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
With the younger generations not needing to wear a watch to tell time because they all have smartphones, I think the idea of the MoonSwatch is genius, while the execution may not be perfect. It puts the real Speedmaster on an aspirational path for the young.

Anyone who thinks Omega is an viable alternative to Rolex is practicing wishful thinking. Omega will sell you as many Speedmasters as you want for $6K and the resale value will never go up.

Rolex will never sell you anything you want. They sell you what they want at their price. That is power.
I have both Rolex and Omega. Love both brands. Hate the fact that I can’t walk into a Rolex store and purchase what I want so my last big purchase was an Omega (at mid tier Rolex MSRP prices) and I’ll wait to see what Rolex does to address their supply/demand issue. Something’s got to give.

And fully agree with everything you said.
cwh812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 11:43 PM   #24
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
I agree with you 100%, speaking from the standpoint of a potential consumer.

I've stopped thinking of Omega when I think of "Rolex alternative", and when the Rolex cases are empty and I contemplate a new watch, I currently look at Cartier, VC, and JLC as alternatives.

PS: Why do fan-boys always call it "marketing genius!!" when brands make terrible and stupid mistakes? Or, when random circumstance results in market conditions like shortages. A pandemic shut down the factory and there's supply shortage, must be marketing brilliance!
Will these MoonSwatches be a huge sales success? Yes, undoubtedly, but there is much more to marketing than just sales.

An important element of marketing is also brand image. The Swatch brand will significantly benefit by this collaboration, no doubt. Unfortunately, I’m not sure you can say the same thing about the Omega brand. I do believe it’s now tarnished.

My guess is that this was driven by Swatch and Omega had no say in it. Omega execs are just being good soldiers and carrying out the order.

Old 5 April 2022, 09:59 AM   #25
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

Bingo. I was considering an Aqua Terra, but I have scratched it off the list.

Maybe I’m wrong, but this has turned me off.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 04:40 PM   #26
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
I have a Speedmaster
I'll buy a Moonswatch for my little girl
It'll be her first watch
She'll have a watch "just like daddys"
When/if it breaks, I'll buy her another one if she liked it

Fast forward 20 years and what brand do you think she's going to have a connection too if/when she decides she wants a luxury watch?

All you guys that are put off by Swatch being "associated" with your precious Omega really need to worry less about what people think
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 05:09 PM   #27
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I have a Speedmaster
It'll be her first watch

Fast forward 20 years and what brand do you think she's going to have a connection too if/when she decides she wants a luxury watch?

All you guys that are put off by Swatch being "associated" with your precious Omega really need to worry less about what people think

Here’s why I’m not buying that. A MoonSwatch is definitely too big for a little girl, and many 18 year old and older women too, right? Plus, it’s also really too big for boys as well. Let’s face the facts here, most teenage boys have puny wrists.

It’s an adult sized watch. Honestly, my wrists are between 7.25” and 7.5”, which are big by TRF standards, and there are days when I think the Speedmaster looks huge on my wrist.

Now if your argument is that young 20+ year olds will buy this and then eventually get a “real” Speedmaster, then maybe that’s true.

Old 5 April 2022, 05:18 PM   #28
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Here’s why I’m not buying that. A MoonSwatch is definitely too big for a little girl, and many 18 year old and older women too, right? Plus, it’s also really too big for boys as well. Let’s face the facts here, most teenage boys have puny wrists.

It’s an adult sized watch. Honestly, my wrists are between 7.25” and 7.5”, which are big by TRF standards, and there are days when I think the Speedmaster looks huge on my wrist.

Now if you’re argument is that young 20+ year olds will buy this and then eventually get a “real” Speedmaster, then maybe that’s true.

Considering my 5 10 missus wears a 42mm Zenith, and G-Shocks typically crack 44mm-50mm, i think you'd better reassess what people think are "too big for them"

I have a 7inch wrist and anything below 42mm looks tiny, anything at 42mm looks small, IMO
Personal taste is subjective

Hell, do you know how many cheap fashion watches i see out in the world that are 52mm+?
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 06:30 PM   #29
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Quote:
I have a Speedmaster
It'll be her first watch

I think your daughter is exactly the target demographic for this collaboration, and this collab has a good shot at achieving its objective of building Omega as an aspiration brand within this non-watch geek/young demographic.

The problem for Omega is this has blown up in ways which were unintended. The ferals queueing up, jostling, fighting, stampeding, spreading COVID, flipping (or at least attempting to) have deprived the target segment from getting the watch and also have made Omega/Swatch look bad in the process.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 09:33 PM   #30
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hell, do you know how many cheap fashion watches i see out in the world that are 52mm+?

Yes, they look ridiculous.