The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 August 2022, 05:20 AM   #1
cleansocks
"TRF" Member

RSC pressure test rules

I recently purchased a 2008 day-date in great condition. I am really enjoying it and it's functioning well. I don't want to get it serviced yet since I'd have to wait three months for it to come back and its working well. So I thought I'd at least get it pressure tested to see how vigilant I need to be about water exposure until I eventually am willing to get it serviced.

On a trip to LA I brought it to the Beverly hills RSC. Unfortunately I got a crabby lady with a French/Swiss(?) accent. I requested a pressure test but she told me because the watch is 2008 and hasn't been serviced before, they could not pressure test it as it would likely "ruin the watch" as they only do "live" pressure tests. I find this strange as I thought even a wet test would not allow ingress of water or they could remove the movement if they were that concerned? And then the question becomes what is the point of a pressure test in the first place if it's such a high risk procedure. Anyway, she asked "so you just gonna take it back?" And I said yes I'm on a trip and dont want to let it go for three months quite yet and she rolled her eyes! I was a little disappointed by the whole thing moreso that there was an aire of contempt than anything else.

I guess their job is tough these days with all the riffraff coming through. Actually at the same time I was there, a guy was being told the Rolex that he brought in was reported stolen and that they would have to keep it to investigate further. He was flying off the handle demanding they give his watch back and calling his lawyer. I sent my family to the lobby because he seemed so agitated. This went on for like 15 minutes. Then this moron realized he himself had reported it stolen years ago but then he found it and didn't tell Rolex he had found it.
cleansocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 05:50 AM   #2
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Testing requires the movement removed from the case due to the way the testing is done with the official Rolex testers.
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 06:17 AM   #3
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I would go with the full service, but a local may be able to change all the seals and test it's water resistance? Maybe?
Old 18 August 2022, 06:25 AM   #4
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
Testing requires the movement removed from the case due to the way the testing is done with the official Rolex testers.
In my personal and recent experience, for what it’s worth, this isn’t true: an RSC-authorized Rolex dealer pressure-tested my (2001) watch while I waited, no movement-removal required. No charge to me.

Not sure what was up with the place in BH.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 06:36 AM   #5
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
In my personal and recent experience, for what it’s worth, this isn’t true: an RSC-authorized Rolex dealer pressure-tested my (2001) watch while I waited, no movement-removal required. No charge to me.

Not sure what was up with the place in BH.
That is not the official procedure as I had to follow working 5 years ago in the service department of an Rolex AD. So they did a quick dry test (max 10 bar of a minor vacuum wettest with -.8 bar. This is a mild testing and definitely will not lead to any guarantee of being watertight.

You need to test under real pressure in water, f.e. 30 bar at least for a sub, leave it for a specified time under pressure, take it out put it on a kind of heating plate to 47 degrees for some time and then put it reversed on a plate with a cold spot. you will see at he cold spot condensation appear. than you wait. If the condensation disappears withit 60 seconds, watch is fine, else not oke and you need to do more work and repeat the test cycle again.
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 06:38 AM   #6
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
Ah, yes, mine was a dry test.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 07:39 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
Testing with the movement removed is of no value except for an initial check of crystal seals..

You have to put the movement back in, then pressure test to ensure that it is resealed.
Old 18 August 2022, 05:41 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Testing with the movement removed is of no value except for an initial check of crystal seals..

You have to put the movement back in, then pressure test to ensure that it is resealed.
Have to agree Larry even a simple pressure dry test by any high street watch store to 100m, if passes with be fine for most water activities except scuba, for that a 200m-300m test should be done.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 05:58 PM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree Larry even a simple pressure dry test by any high street watch store to 100m, if passes with be fine for most water activities except scuba, for that a 200m-300m test should be done.
I don’t know many scuba divers who have gone to 200 - 300 metres Peter.

Wouldn’t a 6 Bar test be good enough for a 2008 DayDate?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 06:48 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I don’t know many scuba divers who have gone to 200 - 300 metres Peter.

Wouldn’t a 6 Bar test be good enough for a 2008 DayDate?
Well in the real world Eddie there has been more men to go to the moon than have dived 300m or a little over just on scuba,my deepest dive a little over 110m and that was quite deep enough. Dont forget all pressure checks are static on surface, but while moving in water especially underwater at depth the pressure would increase a bit.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 07:27 PM   #11
Andad

Quote:
Well in the real world Eddie there has been more men to go to the moon than have dived 300m or a little over just on scuba,my deepest dive a little over 110m and that was quite deep enough. Dont forget all pressure checks are static on surface, but while moving in water especially underwater at depth the pressure would increase a bit.
I don’t think moving increases the pressure at all at any depth.

Old 18 August 2022, 08:00 PM   #12
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansocks View Post
Actually at the same time I was there, a guy was being told the Rolex that he brought in was reported stolen and that they would have to keep it to investigate further. He was flying off the handle demanding they give his watch back and calling his lawyer. I sent my family to the lobby because he seemed so agitated. This went on for like 15 minutes. Then this moron realized he himself had reported it stolen years ago but then he found it and didn't tell Rolex he had found it.
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 08:52 PM   #13
BradTrinh24
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Just got my datejust back from movement service. They quoted me 3 months and I got it back in about 4-5 weeks.
BradTrinh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2022, 12:04 AM   #14
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Dont forget all pressure checks are static on surface, but while moving in water especially underwater at depth the pressure would increase a bit.
Movement does indeed increase pressure and probably more than we think. It creates an increase of positive pressure on one direction with a corresponding decrease in pressure on the opposite side. Otherwise a swimmers movements would be ineffective with or without flippers and a pair of oars would be useless as would a propeller, whether it be under water or operating in the air.

It's physics.
To that end, perhaps a physicist could come along and enlighten us further with more detail?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2022, 06:09 AM   #15
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
To that end, perhaps a physicist could come along and enlighten us further with more detail?
Someone did all the calculations a few years ago, maybe on another forum? I did not find it now. Anyway, the effect of movement was negligible as far as I remember.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2022, 06:39 AM   #16
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I recently purchased a 2008 day-date in great condition. I am really enjoying it and it's functioning well. I don't want to get it serviced yet since I'd have to wait three months for it to come back and its working well. So I thought I'd at least get it pressure tested to see how vigilant I need to be about water exposure until I eventually am willing to get it serviced.

On a trip to LA I brought it to the Beverly hills RSC. Unfortunately I got a crabby lady with a French/Swiss(?) accent. I requested a pressure test but she told me because the watch is 2008 and hasn't been serviced before, they could not pressure test it as it would likely "ruin the watch" as they only do "live" pressure tests. I find this strange as I thought even a wet test would not allow ingress of water or they could remove the movement if they were that concerned? And then the question becomes what is the point of a pressure test in the first place if it's such a high risk procedure. Anyway, she asked "so you just gonna take it back?" And I said yes I'm on a trip and dont want to let it go for three months quite yet and she rolled her eyes! I was a little disappointed by the whole thing moreso that there was an aire of contempt than anything else.

I guess their job is tough these days with all the riffraff coming through. Actually at the same time I was there, a guy was being told the Rolex that he brought in was reported stolen and that they would have to keep it to investigate further. He was flying off the handle demanding they give his watch back and calling his lawyer. I sent my family to the lobby because he seemed so agitated. This went on for like 15 minutes. Then this moron realized he himself had reported it stolen years ago but then he found it and didn't tell Rolex he had found it.
I wonder if he remembered to tell his insurers he had found it?
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2022, 06:39 AM   #17
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
Quote:
Actually at the same time I was there, a guy was being told the Rolex that he brought in was reported stolen and that they would have to keep it to investigate further. He was flying off the handle demanding they give his watch back and calling his lawyer. I sent my family to the lobby because he seemed so agitated. This went on for like 15 minutes. Then this moron realized he himself had reported it stolen years ago but then he found it and didn't tell Rolex he had found it.
So the guy reported it stolen, collected from the insurance company, then "found" the watch but never notified Rolex or his insurance company...
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2022, 07:35 AM   #18
77T

You folks do remember the OP took a Day-Date to the BH RSC? A DD…let’s face it a simple dry test is all he needed.

But I agree with Crabby Lady (as he titled her) - you want an RSC test, you do it the way they want.

Otherwise, a good watchmaker will have the standard vacuum tester and should give yo the 100m test with no trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2022, 07:59 AM   #19
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
You folks do remember the OP took a Day-Date to the BH RSC? A DD…let’s face it a simple dry test is all he needed.

But I agree with Crabby Lady (as he titled her) - you want an RSC test, you do it the way they want.

Otherwise, a good watchmaker will have the standard vacuum tester and should give yo the 100m test with no trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Precisely
Old 19 August 2022, 08:06 AM   #20
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Someone did all the calculations a few years ago, maybe on another forum? I did not find it now. Anyway, the effect of movement was negligible as far as I remember.
Many thanks
Though I wonder if the calculations were correct.
One would need to fully factor in velocity across the full spectrum including depth. So I expect it would be a sliding scale of some description
I suspect that a horizontal motion wouldn't have anywhere near as much effect as a vertical motion from what I have observed in my line of work dealing with propulsion.
Old 20 August 2022, 03:37 PM   #21
Andad

Read post 11.

Less than negligible.

Go down to 100m and splash around as much as you can.

Old 26 August 2022, 08:24 AM   #22
saxo3
"TRF" Member

RSC pressure test rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I don’t think moving increases the pressure at all at any depth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Movement does indeed increase pressure and probably more than we think. It creates an increase of positive pressure on one direction with a corresponding decrease in pressure on the opposite side. Otherwise a swimmers movements would be ineffective with or without flippers and a pair of oars would be useless as would a propeller, whether it be under water or operating in the air.

It's physics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
One needs to calculate the fluid resistance, which is also called drag. The drag force depends on the properties of the fluid (density), the geometry (size, shape) and the velocity of the moving object. As an example, put the following numbers into the drag formula to calculate the drag force:

Density (water): 1000 kg/m^3
Area (dive watch with a 40 mm diameter): 0.0013 m^2
Velocity (moving arm with watch): 2 m/s
Drag coefficient: 1
Drag force: 2.6 N

pressure = drag force/watch area = 2.6/0.0013 N/m^2 = 2000 N/m^2 = 20 mbar

At a normal SCUBA diving depth of -30 m a dive watch is exposed to a total pressure of 4 bar = 4000 mbar.

If one moves this watch (horizontally) with a velocity of 2 m/s it will add about 20 mbar to the 4 bar.

This is a negligible effect. QED
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 06:46 PM   #23
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
One needs to calculate the fluid resistance, which is also called drag. The drag force depends on the properties of the fluid (density), the geometry (size, shape) and the velocity of the moving object. As an example, put the following numbers into the drag formula to calculate the drag force:

At a normal SCUBA diving depth of -30 m a dive watch is exposed to a total pressure of 4 bar = 4000 mbar.

If one moves this watch (horizontally) with a velocity of 2 m/s it will add about 20 mbar to the 4 bar.

Sounds good to me
Old 26 August 2022, 08:26 PM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I personally like French Swiss accents
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 09:04 PM   #25
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post

Thank you for posting this. The whole ‘splashing effect’ myth really needs to be killed.

Moving your arms/swimming/diving will not make a watch fail that wouldn’t have failed anyways.

Now, all bets are off IF you’re Aquaman and can swim at Mach speeds at the bottom of the Marianas Trench …
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote