The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 August 2022, 10:32 AM   #1
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

So how do I wind this thing?

PAM000. I have read some conflicting info online. Some say wind every day. Some say every 3 days. Some say wind until it stops and not possible to overwind. Others say only about 40 turns and careful not to overwind.

Finally - some say push the crown back in by hand BEFORE closing the lever. Other say only use the lever to close the crown.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 01:12 PM   #2
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I can't tell you anything official, only what has worked for me for many years with my 111 and now 1342. I wind mine before I put it on, whether that is daily or once a week, as long as it is in the current rotation, I wind it. Don't wind with the lock lever in the locked position. I wind fairly vigorously until I feel the tension begin and then start to turn slowly; yes, you can overwind, causing damage. When the crown wants to stop turning, it knows best! I push the crown back in by hand, it just feels more natural to me.

Disclaimer - everything I said may be wrong, but hasn't let me down...yet.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 02:25 PM   #3
77T
2024 Pledge Member

So how do I wind this thing?

With a Reserve of 56 hrs. I’d say every 3 days is not good advice. The OP1 movement is fairly robust. It’s a manual movement, so wind it every 2 days. You will learn over time how it feels when you are getting near the fully wound point. The crown will stop and don’t force it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 03:53 PM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Great replies above. I’ve seen different answers re pushing in crown. Interesting to here others.
Old 21 August 2022, 12:57 AM   #5
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
I have always used the lever to close the crown.

When the watch is fully wound, you’ll know. You’d need to apply a lot of force to break it.
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 01:01 AM   #6
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
PAM000. I have read some conflicting info online. Some say wind every day. Some say every 3 days. Some say wind until it stops and not possible to overwind. Others say only about 40 turns and careful not to overwind.

Finally - some say push the crown back in by hand BEFORE closing the lever. Other say only use the lever to close the crown.
re: "Not possible to overwind" - this is definitely wrong. That only applies to automatic (self-winding) movements.

Re: the crown... I would push it in yourself, then close the lever. The lever is a crown retention/crown protection mechanism, not a crown closing mechanism. To be clear, I don't think you would hurt anything if you did close the lever first, but I certainly disagree with the idea that you can "only" do it this way. One may try to argue that the lever has a slight advantage in that it would be pushing the crown straight inward, i.e. along its axis of movement. You don't want to be pushing heavily perpendicular to the axis of movement, like coming in from the side of the crown guard, but you should be able to reach around the guard and push straight inward towards the case with a little common sense.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 01:07 PM   #7
Cryten
"TRF" Member

An interesting mix of responses.

Yes, some hand wind movements allow the main spring to slip in the barrel housing just like an automatic (e.g. the p3000 series movements)

The 6497 however, doesn't allow the main spring to slip, and you could potentially overwind it. In reality though, unless you're cranking on the crown this will never happen as you'll feel the tension building in the last couple of turns and then it will just stop. You won't hurt it, just be conscious that there's a limit and take it easy.

And does any one really push the crown in first? Just close the lever. It even has a little wheel to run on the crown so it doesn't damage it. These things aren't made of puff pastry.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 01:46 PM   #8
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
And does any one really push the crown in first?
Well, I do; to me, it just feels better and natural to do it that way. Then, if you really want to get technical, the manual says to do it that way as well.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 07:37 PM   #9
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
I push the crown in before closing lever. I want to hear the click

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 08:04 PM   #10
unofficial
"TRF" Member

Since the power reserve is claimed as 56 hours. And in reality can reach up to 62 hours. Every alternate day open the lever, wind till you feel the resistance, then stop and close the lever. When you spot the watch is running fast or slow. Open the lever and pull the crown. Synchronise the time with the source of reference by turning the crown clockwise until the desired time is set. Push the crown and close the lever. Enjoy! ����
unofficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 12:55 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is no such thing as "overwound". With a manual wind watch, you wind it until it is wound, and you hit the stop. Any further and you break the crown/stem, but you aren't overwinding anything.

As to when. For best accuracy you wind a manual wind watch every day so that its power curve is always in the most stable part of the power curve.

Letting it unwind by a day or two just because you can, is not going to give you best accuracy. You are spending a lot of time outside the best part of the power curve.