The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 12 August 2022, 12:01 AM   #1
Armis
"TRF" Member

Choice of ROC on leather v. rubber strap

For sure the overwhelming preference is for a ROC to be on metal bracelet, but there have been examples of ROCs (and even ROs) on leather and rubber straps. Focusing on the ROC 41mm models, the most recent example of Hussain’s rose gold ROC with blue dial and blue strap is amazing in every way, including the effect of the blue strap IMHO. However, I can’t tell how much of that is due to the rose gold case that makes every other feature so great, or is it that the right leather strap can similarly accentuate the beauty and strength of the case As such, I was hoping to get your impressions of how a similar blue strap would look on a steel ROC 41mm?
Would switching from bracelet to strap ultimately detract from the overall presence of the piece to you (not others)? Ultimately, I understand everyone has different tastes, but there is a consensus about the great AP bracelet. That’s why I wonder how many would choose to switch away from that.
Please include any examples of leather on steel ROC if you have.
Thanks all.
Armis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 12:53 AM   #2
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I personally wear exclusively on strap. (I have watches still on bracelet but they mostly just stay in the watch box for stylistic and comfort reasons, not because they are safe queens. They just don't get picked to come out onto the field).

I enjoy the comfort factor especially in humid and hot climates. I personally don't like the leather, but again for comfort reasons in humid climates, gets a bit stinky and yucky pretty fast.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 12:56 AM   #3
Dave from NYC
"TRF" Member

Like many here, the bracelet trumps all... BUT if you have other ROs or ROCs on bracelets then it might be a great option. I happen to love the look of the ROC on rubber. I don't think it works as well as on a RO. Something about the chrono seems more sporty to me - therefore more fitting for rubber. I say go for it and post pics!
Dave from NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 01:45 AM   #4
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I'm not sure the steel RO would look as good on a strap versus a rose gold case.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 04:19 AM   #5
Cease676
"TRF" Member

I’ve been curious as well on adding a rubber strap to my steel ROC. If anyone has already made the swap, it’ll be helpful and much appreciated if you can post a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cease676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:22 AM   #6
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Old post, but may still be relevant - https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=510450
~JJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 08:32 AM   #7
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I personally wear exclusively on strap. (I have watches still on bracelet but they mostly just stay in the watch box for stylistic and comfort reasons, not because they are safe queens. They just don't get picked to come out onto the field).

I enjoy the comfort factor especially in humid and hot climates. I personally don't like the leather, but again for comfort reasons in humid climates, gets a bit stinky and yucky pretty fast.
That makes a lot of sense and it’s good to read that you do make such a switch. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from NYC View Post
Like many here, the bracelet trumps all... BUT if you have other ROs or ROCs on bracelets then it might be a great option. I happen to love the look of the ROC on rubber. I don't think it works as well as on a RO. Something about the chrono seems more sporty to me - therefore more fitting for rubber. I say go for it and post pics!
Thanks, Dave. Good point about the possibility of variety in the case where there are other APs on bracelet. And I agree with the point of ROC being sporty and therefore more amenable to rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I'm not sure the steel RO would look as good on a strap versus a rose gold case.
Thank you for saying it like it is. I was trying to ‘force’ it, but in reality the rose gold effect can’t be matched. Then I guess the question becomes whether the steel would still look decent on leather. But the rubber straps people are mentioning is worth consideration perhaps more than leather. Thanks again.
Old 12 August 2022, 08:36 AM   #8
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Old post, but may still be relevant - https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=510450
This is a great older post, thank you! He provides a great step by step guide of how to make the change yourself, and the final product is impressive.
Old 12 August 2022, 01:08 PM   #9
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I love wearing my chrono on the this green rubber strap. Gives it a different feel than my 15510 on bracelet. Very comfortable! I have thought about adding a leather strap but have not done that yet.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 04:23 PM   #10
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
I love wearing my chrono on the this green rubber strap. Gives it a different feel than my 15510 on bracelet. Very comfortable! I have thought about adding a leather strap but have not done that yet.

Perfect example! Like what Dave said above, you switched out the bracelet to provide more variety and differentiation from your other AP. I particularly like your choice of strap color, which is because the ROC is so sporty. Thanks for this great post!
Old 12 August 2022, 05:31 PM   #11
NiJaRo1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
Choice of ROC on leather v. rubber strap

You’ve commented on posts of my rose gold ROC on blue leather, and pondered this question - honestly I think it’s the “warmth” of the AP rose gold popping against that perfectly blue colored leather. Those warm, earthy tones work together flawlessly.

Stating the obvious here, but stainless has more of a “colder” look (vs the warmth of RG) and while I personally think it would look *very* cool on blue leather (ex: iconic stainless + blue dial + blue strap references from IWC and Vacheron immediately come to mind), I suspect it might not hit you quite the same as it does on the RG. Still super cool - just a different vibe.

FWIW: different watch, but the rubber strap on my ROO is hands-down the most comfortable on the wrist out of my AP’s (RO on bracelet, ROC on leather, ROO on rubber).

If it were me, I’d go ahead and buy both a rubber strap and a leather strap and give them each a try.

NiJaRo1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 06:16 PM   #12
hussain
"TRF" Member

I think for steel/white metals, a strap works really well. And that can be seen by some good examples such as the ‘’QEII’, Pride of Italy’ and ‘Lionel Messi’ editions.

I personally have a "purist" in me that doesn’t want the watch to appear very different from the way I acquired it. I know once I keep a rubber strap on my steel Royal Oak, I couldn’t go to sleep before keeping it back on the bracelet.

I believe that's why many people would prefer the bracelet on steel.

This applies to all brands as well, I personally wouldn’t put an aftermarket green rubber strap my Rolex ’Cermit’

If that doesn’t bother you, Go for it! I think a strap would give it a different/more offshore look.

As for my rose gold ROC, I'd consider putting on a bracelet for sure, since the watch is also offered in that look.
hussain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 07:05 PM   #13
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiJaRo1225 View Post
You’ve commented on posts of my rose gold ROC on blue leather, and pondered this question - honestly I think it’s the “warmth” of the AP rose gold popping against that perfectly blue colored leather. Those warm, earthy tones work together flawlessly.

Stating the obvious here, but stainless has more of a “colder” look (vs the warmth of RG) and while I personally think it would look *very* cool on blue leather (ex: iconic stainless + blue dial + blue strap references from IWC and Vacheron immediately come to mind), I suspect it might not hit you quite the same as it does on the RG. Still super cool - just a different vibe.

FWIW: different watch, but the rubber strap on my ROO is hands-down the most comfortable on the wrist out of my AP’s (RO on bracelet, ROC on leather, ROO on rubber).

If it were me, I’d go ahead and buy both a rubber strap and a leather strap and give them each a try.

You are spot on, NiJaRo1225! Your reasoned points and demonstrated examples helped me actually see the fundamental “warmth” of the rose gold in your and Hussain’s excellent pieces; whereas indeed steel is “cold” and would be highlighted as such by the same blue leather strap. Understood, that’s not a bad thing, but it certainly will not strike me the same as rose gold. I should have been able to “see” that all on my own, but I couldn’t, so thank you.
I do still think that at least for the variety of it, a leather and rubber strap each make sense to have and to experience personally.
Thanks again for your thoughtful response.
Old 12 August 2022, 07:20 PM   #14
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussain View Post
I think for steel/white metals, a strap works really well. And that can be seen by some good examples such as the ‘’QEII’, Pride of Italy’ and ‘Lionel Messi’ editions.

I personally have a "purist" in me that doesn’t want the watch to appear very different from the way I acquired it. I know once I keep a rubber strap on my steel Royal Oak, I couldn’t go to sleep before keeping it back on the bracelet.

I believe that's why many people would prefer the bracelet on steel.

This applies to all brands as well, I personally wouldn’t put an aftermarket green rubber strap my Rolex ’Cermit’

If that doesn’t bother you, Go for it! I think a strap would give it a different/more offshore look.

As for my rose gold ROC, I'd consider putting on a bracelet for sure, since the watch is also offered in that look.
Thank you very much as well, hussain. Your listed examples are very helpful to provide a visual. It’s funny you mention this ‘purist’ mentality where you prefer a watch in it original configuration, because I can relate. Still, with the great examples shared here on the forum, I agree that it makes sense for me to get the straps for myself. Thanks for your kind response 👏🏼👌🏽