The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2017, 03:15 AM   #1
BristolCavendish
Banned

Question for Rolex Purists

Do you correct someone (oftentimes a non-English speaker) when they mispronounce the name of a specific model?

Examples: "Sub mareener" or "G-empty"

I tend to let it slide or use the proper pronunciation/accent if the word comes up again during the course of a follow-up to the conversation.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 03:17 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I let it go. Same when watch salesman doesn't know what he's talking about. If they mean well I am cool with it.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 03:17 AM   #3
MonBK
Banned

Ask Eddie!
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 03:19 AM   #4
sager
"TRF" Member

I run into this a lot and usually let it go because it's usually an accent thing.
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 03:29 AM   #5
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
I let it go. Same when watch salesman doesn't know what he's talking about. If they mean well I am cool with it.

This one took me by surprise the first time I encountered it. I though salespeople were supposed to be knowledgeable on the product they sell, but that isn’t always the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 04:03 AM   #6
Speed
"TRF" Member

I started talking watches with a friend's husband. At first, I thought he was a WIS...until he told me about his "solid gold Submareener and his Peetok"

English was his first language...but clearly he had more money than knowledge. I didn't overtly correct him, but I referred back to his watches in conversation - using the correct pronunciations.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 04:05 AM   #7
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Do you correct someone (oftentimes a non-English speaker) when they mispronounce the name of a specific model?

I tend to let it slide or use the proper pronunciation/accent if the word comes up again during the course of a follow-up to the conversation.
How do you pronounce GMT? I say something like G-empty.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 04:39 AM   #8
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
How do you pronounce GMT? I say something like G-empty.
Accent on the G (or T) rather than on M as most folks would not want to be perceived as wearing an empty watch casing.

What's particularly amusing/entertaining is to hear certain French wines being mispronounced (especially by the overly pretentious).

In the past I've heard "chamber-tin", "la-fit", "mer-salt" plus a host of others. When you get into French champagnes, it can get even more ridiculous.
Old 13 August 2017, 04:43 AM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I've never come across this situation.
Old 13 August 2017, 04:56 AM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

proper pronunciation is relative and it its not necessarily "wrong" if someone says it different.

The brits pronounce the letter "Z" as ZED and americans say it zee (sounds like sea)... so is zebra pronounced Zee Bra or zEH bra ?

The british invented english so if one way has to be right i would say its the british pronunciation but going around the US correcting everyone would be futile.

People pronounce "Patek" differently too. I have heard legitimate watch people in interviews pronounce it both ways. So i just say it the way I prefer.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 05:06 AM   #11
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Ask Eddie!
He don't pronounce, only spell.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 05:08 AM   #12
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Johny say pack nack for pick nick so it took some time before I get what was going on.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 05:16 AM   #13
Tony64
"TRF" Member

"PAH-tek" , "peh-TEK"
ToMAYto, ToMAHto
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 05:28 AM   #14
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Same.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 05:39 AM   #15
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Only people I talk watches with are from this forum....

Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 05:43 AM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
Only people I talk watches with are from this forum....

then you don't know how we pronounce anything then
Old 13 August 2017, 06:52 AM   #17
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
proper pronunciation is relative and it its not necessarily "wrong" if someone says it different.

The brits pronounce the letter "Z" as ZED and americans say it zee (sounds like sea)... so is zebra pronounced Zee Bra or zEH bra ?

The british invented english so if one way has to be right i would say its the british pronunciation but going around the US correcting everyone would be futile.

People pronounce "Patek" differently too. I have heard legitimate watch people in interviews pronounce it both ways. So i just say it the way I prefer.
Though of course there is no "correct" way of pronouncing words even in British English which has at least dozens of distinct and sometimes vastly different regional dialects. Case in point with the Sub:

Scottish* - SUB-ma-ra-nah
Scouse - SOOB-ma-ri-neh (first syllable vaguely like the vowel sound in "should")
Welsh - sub-MAR-iner

*Apologies to Scottish TRF-era there clearly isn't a single generic Scottish accent.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 07:04 AM   #18
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Only if they ask me
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 07:08 AM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Though of course there is no "correct" way of pronouncing words even in British English which has at least dozens of distinct and sometimes vastly different regional dialects. Case in point with the Sub:

Scottish* - SUB-ma-ra-nah
Scouse - SOOB-ma-ri-neh (first syllable vaguely like the vowel sound in "should")
Welsh - sub-MAR-iner

*Apologies to Scottish TRF-era there clearly isn't a single generic Scottish accent.
agree

When i moved here, at first you guys all sounded the same to me... now i can tell regional dialects very easily.
Old 13 August 2017, 07:11 AM   #20
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Your not hanging out with the right crowd then
Old 13 August 2017, 07:23 AM   #21
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I don't recall doing that with pronounciation, but over the last ten years at least I've been correcting a very good friend of mine that insists to refer to a watch bezel as crown. I guess it has something to do with the bezel being on top of the watch, I really don't know. He has a great collection and despite my efforts he still calls it crown.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 07:29 AM   #22
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
agree

When i moved here, at first you guys all sounded the same to me... now i can tell regional dialects very easily.
If you thought a Geordie sounded like a Cockney I would have feared for your hearing!

Even natives struggle to understand particularly thick accents, especially from oop north.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 07:47 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Patek pronounced with the T is just as bad as Often pronounced with the T.

Rap/Hip hop stars, like Beyoncé, for some reason pronounce it Audemars Pikay.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 11:39 AM   #24
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:

Same, but you never know how someone may react. For instance, the other day in a Kowloon AD I saw a guy deliver a flying roundhouse kick to another's head for calling his watch a silly nickname. The recipient went down, shattering a showcase which tipped into the next and they all went down like dominos spilling DJs, Platonas, and Batmen everywhere. At that point a few patrons fled but more stayed to take sides, and the sales staff was divided. Tensions and voices rose, a bit of shoving ensued, and the ruckus soon attracted people from the street and staff from nearby ADs.

Even at that point cooler heads might have prevailed if it weren’t for the wisecrack of an Omega salesman from next door standing at the back of the crowd who loudly opined as far as cartoon characters go, Snoopy and actual moonwalking s**ts all over the likes of Hulk, Batman, and Kermit and their make-believe exploits. When the Rolex AD manager heard that everyone knew he felt the burn because he got that crazy-eyed look and began to push through the crowd. Unfortunately for all who were subsequently injured, the watch on the floor among all those scattered he happened to kick with his foot was a Sub, so unlike less-durable and tough models which would have simply skittered away, he solidly stubbed his toe and went down like a sack of potatoes (if potatoes could cry out in pain, that is).

That triggered an uproar and all that followed. Sides seemed to splinter, former alliances forgotten, and a general melee ensued in which it was impossible to tell friend from foe. The descent into madness deepened when some guy with a Breitling went into berserker mode, slam-dancing a space for himself in the middle of the floor until a couple JLC pukes tackled him high and low from each side. The AD Manager had found his feet and was firing everything from OPs to Pearlmasters at everyone’s head like pool balls in a bar fight. I watched some poor Zenith dude lobbed out through the window just as the Vacheron sales crew from across the street rushed in to try and calm things down but were immediately struck to their knees, clutching their eyes in pain at the sight of a Smurf.

I knew it was time to bug out, so grabbing a Yachtmaster II to use as a shield I made my way to the door only to be met by 5 Seiko-wearers in a tight triangular formation joining the fray, methodically chopping a path through the undisciplined rabble like the Tokyo team from Rollerball 1975. Luck was on my side, however, because as I broke left to avoid them they executed a precise maneuver to their port side, I believe to mop up a cluster of Swissophile-WIS who were rallying to make a last stand. I made it to the sidewalk but before I could see what happened I saw the Omega guy leaning against the wall outside having a smoke so I asked him if they happened to have a Silver Snoopy and he just kind of laughed. Across the street at the PP AD everything seemed quite normal and unruffled. Obviously they considered themselves above entire, ugly affair.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 02:48 PM   #25
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Same, but you never know how someone may react. For instance, the other day in a Kowloon AD I saw a guy deliver a flying roundhouse kick to another's head for calling his watch a silly nickname. The recipient went down, shattering a showcase which tipped into the next and they all went down like dominos spilling DJs, Platonas, and Batmen everywhere. At that point a few patrons fled but more stayed to take sides, and the sales staff was divided. Tensions and voices rose, a bit of shoving ensued, and the ruckus soon attracted people from the street and staff from nearby ADs.

Even at that point cooler heads might have prevailed if it weren’t for the wisecrack of an Omega salesman from next door standing at the back of the crowd who loudly opined as far as cartoon characters go, Snoopy and actual moonwalking s**ts all over the likes of Hulk, Batman, and Kermit and their make-believe exploits. When the Rolex AD manager heard that everyone knew he felt the burn because he got that crazy-eyed look and began to push through the crowd. Unfortunately for all who were subsequently injured, the watch on the floor among all those scattered he happened to kick with his foot was a Sub, so unlike less-durable and tough models which would have simply skittered away, he solidly stubbed his toe and went down like a sack of potatoes (if potatoes could cry out in pain, that is).

That triggered an uproar and all that followed. Sides seemed to splinter, former alliances forgotten, and a general melee ensued in which it was impossible to tell friend from foe. The descent into madness deepened when some guy with a Breitling went into berserker mode, slam-dancing a space for himself in the middle of the floor until a couple JLC pukes tackled him high and low from each side. The AD Manager had found his feet and was firing everything from OPs to Pearlmasters at everyone’s head like pool balls in a bar fight. I watched some poor Zenith dude lobbed out through the window just as the Vacheron sales crew from across the street rushed in to try and calm things down but were immediately struck to their knees, clutching their eyes in pain at the sight of a Smurf.

I knew it was time to bug out, so grabbing a Yachtmaster II to use as a shield I made my way to the door only to be met by 5 Seiko-wearers in a tight triangular formation joining the fray, methodically chopping a path through the undisciplined rabble like the Tokyo team from Rollerball 1975. Luck was on my side, however, because as I broke left to avoid them they executed a precise maneuver to their port side, I believe to mop up a cluster of Swissophile-WIS who were rallying to make a last stand. I made it to the sidewalk but before I could see what happened I saw the Omega guy leaning against the wall outside having a smoke so I asked him if they happened to have a Silver Snoopy and he just kind of laughed. Across the street at the PP AD everything seemed quite normal and unruffled. Obviously they considered themselves above entire, ugly affair.
THAT is awesome.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 03:29 PM   #26
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
THAT is awesome.
CRM has made some bizarre (but awesome) posts. IMO This little piece of creative writing has beaten BC at his own game
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 03:41 PM   #27
GRB
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
CRM has made some bizarre (but awesome) posts. IMO This little piece of creative writing has beaten BC at his own game
Yeah,but who was wearing the bear costume ?
GRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 04:39 PM   #28
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Do Russki ADs wear bear suits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
.... I made my way to the door only to be met by 5 Seiko-wearers in a tight triangular formation joining the fray, methodically chopping a path through the undisciplined rabble like the Tokyo team from Rollerball 1975.
is that a trio wearing Seiko 5s or five wearing Seikos?

Devil's in the details!
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 04:44 PM   #29
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
CRM's descriptive visuals read like a professionally-prepared treatment for a surrealistic movie script.
Old 13 August 2017, 05:33 PM   #30
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
If you thought a Geordie sounded like a Cockney I would have feared for your hearing!

Even natives struggle to understand particularly thick accents, especially from oop north.
well lets just put it this way. Watching Trainspotting for the first time when i was in High School i distinctly remember needing to watch it with subtitles. I recently watched it again to prepare seeing the long awaited sequel. That time everything was crystal clear. I even actually understood it as the vocabulary is different too from american vocabulary.

Geordie and Cockney sound different now but I'm fairly certain i would not have noticed years ago. It all just sounds weird when you have no basis of comparison.